Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I hope they at least hold off until after I am dead. lol! I have no issues with using what I grew up with and am use to. Metric system however, is here to stay and will be the world standard for all countries. All part of a greater development. So yeah, I agree with Tucker. I am sure that comes as no surprise for anyone on here.
    If you grew up in Canada, you learned both, so people who complain about it are just being trivial unless they are American, but if you learned it from childhood, it wouldn't be an issue. For every day living, imperial measurements are fine, you are never going to need accuracy within a millimeter or less. In my working world, you better know metric because micrometre's are extremely common, and that's not even the smallest denomination of the metric system in terms of size. In aerospace manufacturing, stuff is measured in nanometre's, and semiconducters use in computer processors are smaller than 10 nanometers now. At this point, we start getting into cellular level sizes. If a decimeter is 10^-1, subatomic measurements are 10^-35, or even have a factor of zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders...)#1_yoctometre

Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

I thought the title said "The tranny of the metric system".

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    two reasons, its set higher so your less likely to deal with negative numbers and it uses wider range which makes telling the difference between temperatures a bit more intuitive without having to deal with decimals.

if you doing anything technical/science based your gonna wanna go with kelvin tho.
    What do you use temperature for day to day that would be decimal difference in celsius but not in farenheit?
    As for negatives, I find that more useful honestly. Below 0 means it's frozen, which is obviously immediately practical for stuff like weather.

I don't think you actually do use kelvin for all scientific purposes, just when you're at levels where it matters. Also kelvin is identical increments to celsius so the two are entirely interchangeable with a simple subtraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    What do you use temperature for day to day that would be decimal difference in celsius but not in farenheit?
    As for negatives, I find that more useful honestly. Below 0 means it's frozen, which is obviously immediately practical for stuff like weather.

I don't think you actually do use kelvin for all scientific purposes, just when you're at levels where it matters. Also kelvin is identical increments to celsius so the two are entirely interchangeable with a simple subtraction.
    I think this picture sums it up well

ok first take it down a peg or two, this is just a disagreement on temperature systems not something to get worked up about.

As for negative numbers, no they are not scare but they are inconvenient and less intuitive so a system that uses them less for things people deal with day to day (like the weather outside) is better.
    Honestly, it really comes down to what you are familiar with. If you're familiar with fahrenheit...you'll find that simpler to use...if you're familiar with Celsius...that's what you'll find easier.

When i see temperatures in fahrenheit I'm often confused. I know that ~70 is room temperature, 100 is hot as balls, and -40F is the same as -40C. For almost everything I need to convert that to celsius to understand what they mean. Alternatively, I know that 30C is hot, 0C is freezing, and room temperature is about 20C.

Also, there's nothing really inconvenient regarding negative numbers for temperature because 0 has a set definition that's easy to understand... it's the temperature water freezes at. If a temperature has a negative number...you inherently understand that means that it is cold. Exactly how you prepare for that will depend on exactly how much below zero that number is (as well as other factors such as windchill).
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-06-08 at 06:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    If you grew up in Canada, you learned both, so people who complain about it are just being trivial unless they are American, but if you learned it from childhood, it wouldn't be an issue. For every day living, imperial measurements are fine, you are never going to need accuracy within a millimeter or less. In my working world, you better know metric because micrometre's are extremely common, and that's not even the smallest denomination of the metric system in terms of size. In aerospace manufacturing, stuff is measured in nanometre's, and semiconducters use in computer processors are smaller than 10 nanometers now. At this point, we start getting into cellular level sizes. If a decimeter is 10^-1, subatomic measurements are 10^-35, or even have a factor of zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders...)#1_yoctometre
    That is some good points. And yeah, it depends on what you grew up with and use most of the time. I also understand eventually, metric will be the system used in the US even. I may be dead before that becomes a reality however.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

They got to be joking right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Husar View Post
    I thought the title said "The tranny of the metric system".
    hehehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Tucker Carlson doesn't even realize the US Military uses the metric system? I guess he hates the Military.

Fair-Warning you may lose some intelligence watching the video.

What in the actual hell?

Also as an America who didn't learn of the metric system until the 4th grade, it is vastly superior and much easier to grasp. However, the masses are dumb and I don't know when America will catch up with the rest of the world.
    He's the poster boy for American stupidity. You can't get much dumber than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    the US Military uses the metric system
    Prior Navy here, never seen a single thing that used metric during my time. Mind if you gave some examples? Are there other services using metric? Did I happen to be in a rating that didn't use metric?

addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

this is the guy trump goes to for policy, i like how the tucker bots downvoted the video but in the comments section no one is actually defending his points meaning they downvoted the video but didnt even waste time trying to defend him LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Prior Navy here, never seen a single thing that used metric during my time. Mind if you gave some examples? Are there other services using metric? Did I happen to be in a rating that didn't use metric?
    well us outsiders only go by what the news WHICH IS PROBABLY FAKE NEWS MEDIA tells us, and it says that "The U.S. military uses metric measurements extensively to ensure interoperability with allied forces, particularly NATO Standardization Agreements (STANAG)" obviiously me as not a military man going off wiki it might of been edited by one of the new world order goons, so your first hand account is more important

"Fox News" lost both their journalistic accreditation and tag line years ago due to their obvious owner bias.

They are not a news outlet but a propaganda machines owner and operated by republican operatives.

And yes, they're serious in their dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    holy retardation, no wonder people get shot, listening to those 2 makes me want to shot someone.

as for people saying it's satire it's a joke, have they tried fox comedy? not fox news? you know the rest of the world also uses it's news channels for actual news, not just "lulz" and fake news. If you haven't got any real news, fuck off?

For the people that are saying "It's all parody"...Tucker's guest wrote an article on the Wall Street Journal about his hatred of the metric system...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/be-a-le...er-11558294690

He also posted it on his website if you can't get through the paywall

https://jamespanero.com/writing/2019...t-a-liter.html

If he's taking the piss...he's taking a long walk to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

ok first take it down a peg or two, this is just a disagreement on temperature systems not something to get worked up about.

As for negative numbers, no they are not scare but they are inconvenient and less intuitive so a system that uses them less for things people deal with day to day (like the weather outside) is better.
    They are not inconvenient and if they are "less intuitive" then your society needs to introduce compulsory education for at least the first four years of primary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
    He's the poster boy for American stupidity. You can't get much dumber than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    this is the guy trump goes to for policy,
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    "Fox News" lost both their journalistic accreditation and tag line years ago due to their obvious owner bias. They are not a news outlet but a propaganda machines owner and operated by republican operatives. And yes, they're serious in their dementia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    For the people that are saying "It's all parody"...Tucker's guest wrote an article on the Wall Street Journal about his hatred of the metric system...
    All of the above and many others on the previous pages.

You've been had. :-)

The joke is precisely that people would be gullible enough to start linking this as proof that Fox News / Tucker / whoever are dumb idiots without realizing that they have been had and that the dumb in this case is on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Doesn't really matter. the 50 IQ landwhale with voting rights who watches fox like it's a sermon at the local megachurch takes this shit seriously.
    REALLY wish there was a way to like or upvote this comment!

Metrics good and all but Fahrenheit is the superior temperature measurement for day to day use. (also my god are the people in the video dumb)
    I'm sorry, HOW. HOW is this superior???

its freaking arbitrary. I got used to it, eventually, becasue US insists on everything being in freaking Fahrenheit, but Celsius is so much more convenient. like.. 0 = freezing. why its important? because it lets me know if i need to salt my driveway, it lets me know if I'm getting a frost and need to cover the plants, etc etc. 100 =boiling water. again - everyday usage of boiling water comes into play. as far as temps for how warm or cold for clothes - they are both subjective for your personal tolerance, I had to more or less memorize what i'm comfortable with for either one.

I don't think i will ever understand people who prefer imperial to metric. EVER. everything is ass backwards. instead of having a pattern to understand, you have numbers that you memorize :/ instead of everything dividing by 10 you have different numbers for every subsequent unit and for anything smaller then inch you have to look at things in fractions. its NUTS.

So what ever was the verdict here concerning baby boy Tucker: was he really trolling or was he "trolling"(aka an idiot but trying to save face)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Klling a new born is not much morally different than a late term abortion. Should be avoided, but it's not like it is an actual person yet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I'm sorry, HOW. HOW is this superior???

its freaking arbitrary. I got used to it, eventually, becasue US insists on everything being in freaking Fahrenheit, but Celsius is so much more convenient. like.. 0 = freezing. why its important? because it lets me know if i need to salt my driveway, it lets me know if I'm getting a frost and need to cover the plants, etc etc. 100 =boiling water. again - everyday usage of boiling water comes into play. as far as temps for how warm or cold for clothes - they are both subjective for your personal tolerance, I had to more or less memorize what i'm comfortable with for either one.

I don't think i will ever understand people who prefer imperial to metric. EVER. everything is ass backwards. instead of having a pattern to understand, you have numbers that you memorize :/ instead of everything dividing by 10 you have different numbers for every subsequent unit and for anything smaller then inch you have to look at things in fractions. its NUTS.
    Because you have not been raised with the imperial system and used it a lot day to day. Correct me if you have been.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Because you have not been raised with the imperial system and used it a lot day to day. Correct me if you have been.
    I have been raised with metric yes, but i've also lived with imperial for over 2 decades now, which is longer than that how long I've lived with metric (and that's not taking into account that first years of my life I was too young to care or understand either one)

metric still makes more sense. I'm used to Fahrenheit and inches and all that crap. but Celcius among other things still. makes. more. sense. in everyday. life.

whether I'm thinking of food in my freezer, or my sidewalk, or my plants, or cooking things - Celcius makes more sense than Fahrenheit. when measuring carpets or shelf sizes, or waistlines for clothes or any number of every day things - metric makes more sense. and dear mother of god the cooking. imperial can't even decide on what exactly is one cup for some of the recipes. its bonkers.

You have to have EXTREMELY low IQ to take anything that guy says seriously.

His viewerbase are all LFR raiders.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama