Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Azortharion's Marksmanship Hunter DPS Guide - Battle for Azeroth

I have recently updated all my Hunter Guides on Icy-Veins for the new expansion and since there are no guides hosted here on MMO-C, I thought I'd cross-post them, both for information's sake and as a way to get feedback.

Any comments, suggestions or questions, just shoot.

Alright, question:

The BM guide has new Basic Attack macros because the autocast is too slow. But now it seems viable for MM to bring a pet too. Does MM not need that macro, or is was it not significant dps to mention in the MM guide? Petattack macros are mentioned in the MM guide, but people not looking into BM wouldn't know about the Basic Attack macro.

MM does not need the macro.

Previously, the autocast issue has been nullified by the fact that Basic Attacks do double damage if they spend more than 50 Focus. So, it didn't matter if it got delayed each time, as this was made up for by more Focus being generated between the slower casts = the double damage for double Focus effect outweighed it.

Now, BM has so much Focus going on that ALL your Basic Attacks are basically gonna be >50 Focus. Now you no longer have that buffer to make up for Blizzard's pathetic autocast, and you need to macro it for optimal performance.

MM/SV Focus regen is a lot lower, so they don't have this issue still. Therefore no need for a macro.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying

I'm having a hard time finding where to cast Rapid Fire when using the Lethal Shots talent. Assuming I don't have the 2 mentioned traits (In The Rhythm, Focused Fire) then Lethal Shots proc should be used on Aimed Shot over Rapid Fire. Since our resource generator is what causes the proc, I'm usually either too close to focus cap to cast Rapid Fire or I have a charge of Aimed Shot to use.

Basically, getting a Lethal Shot proc, while both Aimed Shot charges are used, while being <75 focus happens so rare that I don't cast Rapid Fire very often. What am I doing wrong?

If you do not have either of the two traits, then you literally only cast Rapid Fire if 1) Lethal Shots is up and 2) Aimed Shot is not available.

So, that's quite rare. Focus is not a concern here (being at max Focus doesn't matter, Focus turns out to have a pretty low value for Marksmanship).

Hi Azor , I am having a really hard time when to press True shot if I'm using double tap ( for dungeons , aoe and st on bosses ) . Should I spend Double tap as soon as I spend my 2 AiS or should I use true shot spend the third AiS then use double tap? There are fights where I wait for the window to use true shot but it never comes and I waste it.

Also you said on your guide that MM has a lot of burst on AoE windows ( better then BM ) , how should I open my burst windows for AoE ( considering 3+ targets ).
    Last edited by Sabinn; 2018-08-20 at 03:08 PM.

Since you will basically never have 0 charges of Aimed Shot during a dungeon, that requirement for Trueshot goes out of the window, kind of. I'd honestly save it for bosses whenever possible, and if you must it on trash, make it a precast alongside Double Tap. Then it's just Multi>RF>Multi>AiS.

Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    Focus is not a concern here (being at max Focus doesn't matter, Focus turns out to have a pretty low value for Marksmanship).
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if focus isn't a concern, should I begin casting arcane shot when i focus cap or should I continue casting steady shot to fish for lethal shot procs? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adamaj View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if focus isn't a concern, should I begin casting arcane shot when i focus cap or should I continue casting steady shot to fish for lethal shot procs? Thanks.
    You should give the rotation section a full, thorough read.

What's up!
    I'm leveling MM atm, enjoying it very much, the spec feels meaty and fun for me. One thing that confuses me a little are azerite powers.
    I currently got 1 Focused Fire and 2 Steady Aim, and i'm also running Lethal Shots most of the time. And even tho i've seen the relative power graphics that you have in the azerite power section it's still hard to feel how much it affects the skill priority/rotation.

I saw that you added checkboxes for certain variables in your guide, it's really cool but i'm not sure it's working correctly. When i check " With In The Rhythm or Focused Fire" and "Lethal Shots" it shows 2 instances of RF in the priority list, first saying i should cast it on CD and then lower in priority i should cast it with Lethal Shots. I guess i should cast it on CD with FF but it confused me a little.

*i was gonna post a picture but this account is new and i'm not allowed apparently*

Also, when stacking Steady Aim, should the priority change to abuse it?

It's just some things that i've been curious about. I might need to get into simulations.

Anyways, thanks for the guide, it's been very very helpful.

I am having some teething issues with the checkbox thing, it is a bit difficult to get working and I have no way to preview how they work until it is on the site, which is a bit silly, but that's technology today.

1x Focused Fire and 2x Steady Aim basically just means you'll ALWAYS cast RF on cooldown, and you will ALWAYS run Steady Focus on a single-target.

Hey Azor, quick question regarding the opener when using the "dungeon" talents.

Im currently doing the following:

Aimed Shot
    1-2xArcane Shot
    Aimed Shot
    1-2xArcane Shot
    Double Tap
    Rapid Fire
    Aimed Shot
    1-2xArcane Shot
    Trueshot

Do you have any comments?

Thanks in advance.

There is no reason not to precast Double Tap and getting the RF out of the way immediately. Other than that, it is the same, but with Multi replacing Arcane on multiple targets, unless you are expecting things to die early, in which case you'd forego Precise Shots stacks in order to get both AiS charges off.

Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    You should give the rotation section a full, thorough read.

This could be phrased somewhat more clearly and definitively convey the idea that yes, you should cast Steady Shot even while focus capped in order to fish for Lethal Shots procs-- if that is, in fact, what you're actually saying. The idea that you should keep using your focus generator while at maximum focus is probably going to be very counter intuitive to people coming in from other classes (like me, for instance), who might read that and simply think that they must be misunderstanding your words.

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    This could be phrased somewhat more clearly and definitively convey the idea that yes, you should cast Steady Shot even while focus capped in order to fish for Lethal Shots procs-- if that is, in fact, what you're actually saying. The idea that you should keep using your focus generator while at maximum focus is probably going to be very counter intuitive to people coming in from other classes (like me, for instance), who might read that and simply think that they must be misunderstanding your words.
    I don't think it can be worded in a much easier way.

Another way to think of it is that the damage of a regular (non-precise shot) arcane shot and steady shot are so close in damage value, that the lethal shot proc is the decider. It's more worthwhile to cast a shot that does damage and gives you a buff, than it is to cast a shot that only casts similar amount of damage.

And yes that is extremely confusing for, not only newer players to the class, but experienced players as well.
    Blizzard has really messed up MM spec in a lot of ways; I really hope they take a good hard look at both basic abilities, as well as talents in 8.1.

Deleted
    Is explosive shot bugged or something? From time to time I see it disappear instantly and I get the 15s CD instead of the 30s.

Deleted
    The Hunter community is like none other when it comes to infighting between its' own specs, and I look forward to seeing the types of threads that pop up now that Marksmanship is arguably the least fun to play, and often not the best damage thus far this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayiicha View Post
    The Hunter community is like none other when it comes to infighting between its' own specs, and I look forward to seeing the types of threads that pop up now that Marksmanship is arguably the least fun to play, and often not the best damage thus far this expansion.
    I don't really see this infighting in this thread, to me it seems like you're just perpetuating a trend you see elsewhere in this thread as well. Can you please not do that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Is explosive shot bugged or something? From time to time I see it disappear instantly and I get the 15s CD instead of the 30s.
    Yes, bugged to crap, just more Blizz incompetence. Best work-around is to doubletap it in melee.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    I can give it a look over but I am not sure how much clearer it can be, as it reiterates it once already (that is intended to be the "Yes, really..").

Problem with Explosive Shot is that it gets stuck on everything in it's path, even if it just a little bump on the floor. Same issue that mage's Blink has. I've heard that you can circumvent this problem a bit if you jump before using it, so it doesn't fly right above the ground.
    Either way, the ability sucks bigtime in it's current form.