Thread: [TV] Good Omens

10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Good Omens

Easily one of my all time favorite books from two of my all time favorite authors is getting made into a mini-series!

First teaser has been released and they totally nailed Aziraphale and Crowley. This is just a teaser so it mostly just focused on those two and their relationship without showing much of any other characters or the actual plot but everything thus far looks good. Cannot wait to see the Four Horseman, in particular War... Between this and American Gods, they have been nailing it with the adaptations to Gaiman's work. I really hope all the issues has not effected the second season of that too badly.

I was going to watch this at some point,but Tennant playing Crowley guarantees I will be watching this as soon as it's available.

Yet you dont give Pratchett his dues.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Yet you dont give Pratchett his dues.
    I did say two of my favorite authors. I only named Gaiman because I was comparing this to American Gods.

Full trailer dropped and i am excited about this show.

Omg this show is just fantastic, having a blast watching it it.

Mind. Blown.

If you have read the book, you've got to watch the series. If you haven't read the book, what are you waiting for? David Tennant and Michael Sheen capture Crowley and Aziraphale's essences brilliantly. Jon Hamm as Gabriel was a casting masterstroke.

Just finished it and was really blown away by the ending.

What if Doctor Who and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency had a baby.

The show was okay. Tennant obviously brilliant as always, Sheen surprisingly good as a foil; the other main actors... alright. Nothing to write home about. In fact, a few of the minor characters came across as a little amateurish at times (wtf was that with War's sword dance at the end?).

Production quality is... British. The special effects are not exactly mindblowing, and some of the costumes are a bit questionable quality for a top-tier series imo. Mostly for the side characters, of course - they main characters are very well done (even down to the details like scuffed fabric on Aziraphales's vest, since he mentions at one point that he kept some of his clothes for over 100 years).

The story is alright. It didn't really blow me away, and honestly had far fewer/less interesting twists than I would have expected (I have not read the book). I also did not enjoy the way the narration was framed, I get the shtick but it was too close to what I assume is the narration of the book - just reading that aloud doesn't translate too well to the screen. Also... nothing really happens. The actual events of the apocalypse pale in comparison to the inter-character relationship buildups, but even there the payoff falls a little flat. Everything is wrapped up with a snap, and all the problems literally simply disappear.

Honestly, I've had more fun with the weirdness of Dirk Gently than with this. It's a little too straightforward and predictable (no offense, Mrs. Nutter). But watching Sheen and Tennant have fun together is a major reason to watch this; and honestly, it's much more interesting than the whole apocalypse plot itself.

Sadly not available in my region. A shame since this is one of my favourites from Pratchett. Also kind of odd since I DO get Dirk Gently...why one and not the other, I wonder.

EDIT: Oh waily, waily waily. For some reason I thought this was supposed to be on Netflix. Probably from the mention of Dirk Gently. Didn't realise it was a Prime thing. Ugh. Guess I'll be giving it a miss until I can find it elsewhere.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2019-06-01 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Sadly not available in my region. A shame since this is one of my favourites from Pratchett. Also kind of odd since I DO get Dirk Gently...why one and not the other, I wonder.

EDIT: Oh waily, waily waily. For some reason I thought this was supposed to be on Netflix. Probably from the mention of Dirk Gently. Didn't realise it was a Prime thing. Ugh. Guess I'll be giving it a miss until I can find it elsewhere.
    It will be on the BBC later in the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished it. Really enjoyed it. The book was of course better Still they did absolutely nail the most important part, the relationship between Crowley and Aziraphale. I was a little afraid they were going to stick too close to the text of the book with it started with the narration, but it eased up after the first episode and it was probably really the only way to keep Pratchett's tone and sense of humor. I am glad they went with a mini-series and not a movie but even still, it felt rather rushed for some reason. It has been a few years since I read the book, but I feel like there was a lot more time spent building up the characters. Newt and Anathema in particular were kinda weak.

All in all, while it didn't blow me away or anything, it did live up to my expectations quite well.

I'd better read the books first.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

One of THE best book to show conversions ever made, then again I love the book and David :-D

I just loved everything about this show. The chemistry between tennant and sheen makes this. And the scene where he yelled at his plants...thats ripped right from the book! A+

The series missed a lot of the background stuff and additional bits of humour, but that's okay as it is quite hard to put across Pratchett's style on screen and they more than made up for it with the extra bits between Crowley and Aziraphael which really did a great job showing their relationship develop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never read the books, but loved the series. They could do an entire series of Crowley and Aziraphael sitting at a table getting drunk recounting their history and i would watch it in a heartbeat. Tennant owned the role of Crowley, everything about the performance was amazing.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.