Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    I hate them. Filthy, dirty, ugly low-lives that belong in an institution not on the streets pestering people.

  2. #42
    Here in Ireland there are so many options to not be on the street... those that opt to beg are generally scammers, i.e. Romas. Fuck Romas.

  3. #43
    The Lightbringer City Pop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    3,569
    I don't like when they single out specific people for money. I have given money to homeless people before though, depends on my mood.

  4. #44
    When I was in Paris, people would come into the mcdonalds where we had our lunch at one time, standing next to our table, pointing to our fries and then their mouths. Never experienced that shit here, but man.. That annoyed the crap out of me.

  5. #45
    I sometimes buy them food when I get something for myself and I see a native one before. Never give them money or they will waste it on drugs tbh.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2019-06-11 at 12:08 AM.

  6. #46
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,904
    I give food when able, but scammers using children just break my heart.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  7. #47
    Down here in Texas, we have people that do a very lazy form of "fund raising" where they will stand at very busy intersections and ask for donations.

    What pisses me off is when they get their kids out there begging for money.

    For fucks sake, have a car wash, bake sale, lemonade stand, or sell candy, but don't teach your fucking kids that it is okay to beg.
    Beto imploded. Watching Buttigieg, Gabbard and Warren. #LegalizeCannabis #CannabisForVets
    Two cannabis bills are currently filed in congress for the current legislative session, each numbered H.R.420 and S.420!

  8. #48
    Some are deserving of sympathy, homeless veterans, people who've had a rough go of life. Others are junkies, lazy, or otherwise not doing what they need to do to build a life.

    As usual, if you judge an entire swath of people the same way, you're generally an asshole.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

  9. #49
    If I have cash I give it. Every year, my wife and I, will also create care packages with essentials and cash and hand them out to every person in need we see. It will have things like personal hygiene stuff, socks, hand warmers, canned goods, can opener, ibuprofen, first aid, etc. We keep them in the car, that way we have them at the ready.

    Yes, I',m fully aware some of those people will use the money or goods to acquire drugs or alcohol, but I don't care. Their life is tough, whatever they need to do to get through the day. Besides, I've never bought into the idea that just because some people will do X, means I shouldn't show compassion to others.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2019-06-11 at 12:28 AM.
    M.A.A.A. Make America Adult Again

  10. #50
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    21,625
    Depends on the situation and how they beg. Just standing holding a sign or a cup? Does not annoy me at all. I may or may not respond.
    " America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    - Abraham Lincoln
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    – George Washington.

  11. #51
    I work with homeless people. Not as much currently but moreso previously. My advice is to get to know them, see what their deal is. They're not all drug addicts or mentally ill.

    Statistically:

    1 out of 4 sleeping on the street are seriously mentally ill
    1 out of 4 has an addiction of some sort

    My personal experiences:

    Every 1 person you see on the street = 3-4 homeless you don't see
    Most of those who are homeless and are on the streets have given up hope that things will improve for them
    1 out of 4 to 1 out of 10 homeless (yes wide estimate, depends on the area) is running some sort of scam and actually has housing, a car, etc. Like an actual scam not "I'm poor and I'm doing this for extra $$$ to scrape by".

    My advice is: Donate food, buy someone with a jacket that is falling apart a new jacket, get them some blankets if it's cold out, etc. Get them a cold drink when it's hot. Hot drink when it's cold. Do what you feel like when you can. Nonprofits aren't all bad, they can (not always) do a better job of making sure that those who really need the help get it. They work with the homeless long term so they feel human enough to take that housing, etc when they want it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    If I have cash I give it. Every year, my wife and I, will also create care packages with essentials and cash and hand them out to every person in need we see. It will have things like personal hygiene stuff, socks, hand warmers, canned goods, can opener, ibuprofen, first aid, etc. We keep them in the car, that way we have them at the ready.

    Yes, I',m fully aware some of those people will use the money or goods to acquire drugs or alcohol, but I don't care. Their life is tough, whatever they need to do to get through the day. Besides, I've never bought into the idea that just because some people will do X, means I shouldn't show compassion to others.
    That's a wonderful sentiment.

  12. #52
    I give them bleach-laced carfentanyl for free.

  13. #53
    Here in Moscow begging is a business, an extremely lucrative and cruel one at that. Independent beggars are almost non-existent, all of them belong to the system and funnel their earnings to the higher-ups.

    Some of the practices they employ are truly disgusting. For instance, you may see a woman with an infant in her hands begging for money. Sometime later, you may see a different woman with this same infant standing on the same spot, or the same woman with a different infant. The child is always asleep despite the supposed "mother" standing there for hours on end. Why is it sleeping? Because it was either drugged or intoxicated with alchohol. These children usually don't last long. Sometimes they die in the middle of the day so the "mother" just stands there with a little corpse in her hands till the end of her shift.

    So if you give money to beggars here, you support this industry. Unfortunately, many people still do.

  14. #54
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    21,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Here in Moscow begging is a business, an extremely lucrative and cruel one at that. Independent beggars are almost non-existent, all of them belong to the system and funnel their earnings to the higher-ups.

    Some of the practices they employ are truly disgusting. For instance, you may see a woman with an infant in her hands begging for money. Sometime later, you may see a different woman with this same infant standing on the same spot, or the same woman with a different infant. The child is always asleep despite the supposed "mother" standing there for hours on end. Why is it sleeping? Because it was either drugged or intoxicated with alchohol. These children usually don't last long. Sometimes they die in the middle of the day so the "mother" just stands there with a little corpse in her hands till the end of her shift.

    So if you give money to beggars here, you support this industry. Unfortunately, many people still do.
    Yep. I will never give a beggar cash. My uncle was a alcoholic and his brother would often bail him out of jail due to public intoxication. He died at the age of 48 from a massive heart attack. He tried to help him , but by always bailing him out of jail, he was actually supporting his addiction. Once I saw this one standing with a sign , saying he needed help, anything would be welcome. I was taking a pizza home with me and stopped, gave him some fresh hot pizza. He seemed to be happy with that and thanked me. You do not have to give someone cash to help them. Even little things can help.
    " America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    - Abraham Lincoln
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    – George Washington.

  15. #55
    I ignore them, if they ask for something I tell them no, I have nothing against them, that's how I treat everyone lol.
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -updated 2/8/2019

  16. #56
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    157
    It 's surprising when you speak to one who is very intelligent, articulate, has a sharp wit, even a good sense of humor ... and yet they are in the predicament they are in
    Because pandhandling is the smart thing to do, you make way more money than any minimum wage job for less work and make your own hours.

    but no, they're almost universally the scum of the earth (in the US).

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Because pandhandling is the smart thing to do, you make way more money than any minimum wage job for less work and make your own hours.

    but no, they're almost universally the scum of the earth (in the US).
    I don't think they make that much, depends on the area though. Some make a lot more but I think most make less.

  18. #58
    Walked past one and she yelled racist cus i didnt give anything,shes the racist who thinks all white people are rich.

  19. #59
    The Patient Agrossive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    308
    I get enraged by clueless naive people that give "homeless" people money in my town. They are obviously junkies trying to get drug money. Had one guy clearly high on heroin bent over like a zombie. People are so stupid. The guy eventually over dosed and died and they made a make shift memorial at his corner. Hopefully all those foolish "virtuous" people feel guilty everyday they see it.

  20. #60
    The Insane Underverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Underverse
    Posts
    16,050
    I've given many times. 9 out of 10 times I regret it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •