Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Yeah man lots of bad shit happens hey.
    Everything has a cause and effect, life and death are the two extremes of it.
    Lesser countries they usually rely on killing cats and dogs and less for food. In superior countries they are killed for being inconveniences but the outcome is the same regardless. For us in the superior nations, we can only try to educate each other on the responsibility of pet ownership being a long term commitment and the importance of de-sexing.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

  2. #82
    You just have to do what you can do, you can’t control what other people do with animals no matter how much it affects you. This is something I learnt a long time ago.

    I hate animal cruelty, in any sense of the word, I think generally animals come with much less problems and are generally kinder than humans. I was vegan for about 5 years, vegetarian for probably about 10, this was way before it became ‘cool’ and I’ll use that word lightly.

    I grew up with animals, a dog, rabbits, a few cats, hamster etc. A family friend had ducks and I lived not too far from a farm and I used to chill with the cows etc.

    It’s an extremely hard problem to solve because how can you give a penalty to someone who has mistreat or abandoned a dog/cat whilst the same country literally slaughters millions of cows, chickens and pigs every single day and for anyone to say those animals are different they are wrong, they are as different as dogs are to cats but they just the same when it comes to understanding love and emotions etc.

    I literally used to take my dog to the farm and sat with a cow most weeks and the cow literally acted just like my dog, same temperament, to me they were just the same.

    I sent myself crazy to some extent with how the world works. I openly sourced out information about animal cruelty and watched and witnessed what happened, especially to cows. It’s mainly inhumane, especially the milk industry.

    I got tired of caring, honestly it’s draining so I now choose to ignore it, I am neither vegan or vegetarian and I eat most meats. I often feel hypocritical and conflicted about myself because I simply do care about animals but I just can’t be bothered caring enough about it anymore, it’s really shitty these dogs were put down because people were shit but that’s life, the majority of the world has shitty people doing shitty things every single day.

    Regarding the poster who said he would strangle kids to have a moment with his dog, whilst he was obviously being sarcastic which was undeniably easy to figure out I understand his sarcastic post with a hint of truth, obviously he wouldn’t do that but to him his dog meant more to him than some random person, I have a cat, I love her, she’s my little buddy who chills with me because my world is my world she is important to me because she has a personality and I love her, she means more to me than anyone of you on this forum. I don’t mean it harshly but I don’t know any of you and my cat is my cat, it’s just obvious isn’t it?

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Ugh, calling animals "furbabies" is so gauche. It does a disservice to them to conflate them with humans.
    It always seems off when I hear people calling the pet owners dad or mom and them calling their pet kid or baby...
    So weird to me...

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    That is a very fallacious argument.

    By this logic, all humans should only care about the most pressing problem. Good thing for you and I humans don't think like this. I rather like that someone invented cough syrup for when I'm sick, Advil for when I hurt, and jeans that are more comfortable than their predecessors.

    All of these were trivial in the global sense but because one or some human(s) championed a cause cool shit got done for the globe.

    Let others champion their causes, you yours. No reason to ignore a problem just because there is a bigger one. (By that logic we better start working on the sun going Nova in a few billion....)
    Cough syrup for sick people. Advil for hurt people. And jeans for human comfort. Thank you for proving my point that humankind is first and foremost the most important thing worth worrying about.

    And when you work your way down many many hierarchies\tiers you get to animals. And of all the "pressing" animal issues, the one this thread is about, isn't even at the top.

    TLDR; I pity the person that explains why my argument is correct, by presenting their mentally deficint argument. SMH.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Saw this in my news feed last night and thought I'd share it on here. This is a problem that is only growing each and every day. This is not limited to just the US either. This is a global issue.

    I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge . Would I still be at home if I hadn’t chewed your shoe? I didn’t know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys. Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn’t get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t barked? I was only saying, “I’m scared, I’m lonely, I’m here, I’m here! I want to be your best friend.” Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn’t make me learn how. Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn’t pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me. I died today. Love, Your Puppy

    If you don't think this really happens....you aren't living in reality.....they die daily.....thousands.....

    It happens all the time, just look at how humans treat each other. The same way. I feel nothing anymore. NOTHING!

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Yeah and if you want to get technical, we are just animals too. The type of animal we happen to be is a human. These dogs & cats are animals yes. Doesn't change the fact that WE are too.



    Pet rabbits are another problem too. There are thousands of them bought each spring to give to kids as Easter presents that a few months later are dumped in the country or taken to shelters because the kid "outgrew" the cute bunny and is sick of the responsibility of taking care of an adult rabbit. My sister & her family live in the country and they get dumped dogs and cats at least once a month from pet owners who would rather dump them out in the country to get eaten by coyotes than to actually take care of them or rehome them. She also is a kitten foster house. She takes in kittens all the time that are abandoned or taken to kill shelters that have too many kittens & they would be immediately put down. She's taken in many newborn kittens & premies that she has had to bottle feed every 2 hours for several weeks. She just released 6 of the 8 she is currently fostering to their new forever homes over the weekend and will start the process all over again later this week when more kittens are in need...and there will be kittens in need guaranteed.



    Just because an issue isn't life-threatening to humans doesn't mean that its not a global problem. The death of the Great Barrier Reef isn't a life-threatening issue to humans but it is a major issue for those in the area. The deforestation of the Rain Forest isn't life-threatening to humans but to the wildlife there it is a major problem. Also you can care about more than one issue at a time. There's no limit to how many things to care/advocate for.



    So you're so self-centered that you only care about Asian humans and say "fuck it" to any animals? BTW how is it racist when the truth of the matter is there are MANY Asian cultures that to this day eat dog and/or cat meat? There was a big deal made at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang because of their culture raising dogs to sell as human meat products. You want proof? HERE and HERE are your proof that it still happens in Asian countries...HERE is an article listing at least NINE countries that still eat dog or cat meat (I'll save you the reading on that one and tell you its the US in rural areas of Hawaii, Korea, China, French Polynesia which is an Asian country, rural areas of Switzerland, Taiwan, and finally Vietnam...notice how many were ASIAN countries?) In fact look up the city of Yulin in southern China and their annual festival devoted to...wait for it...EATING DOG!



    I will never buy a dog or cat from a breeder for the rest of my life. As a kid, we got our animals from shelters or from family/friends who had an animal that had a litter. I happen to live in a state (California) that has banned puppy/kitten mills and any other breeder from selling their animals in pet shops. All pet shops must sell rescue animals. I wish they would ban ALL puppy/kitty mills in the state and across the nation.



    The thing is, if you turn a dog or cat in to a shelter saying that it was abandoned, feral, or whatever reason OTHER THAN saying it was yours, they don't charge you to take the animal in. Those non-surrendered animals are also second on the chopping block when it comes to being put down (only second behind aggressive animals). Still though, people will dump animals out in the country so they don't even have to deal with going to the shelters in the first place. As I was saying above, my sister lives out in the country and at least once a month there is a dog or cat dropped off in front of her house. Keep in mind, that's just one location out of literally square miles of country that people dump them out in.
    No. It is not a problem. You say it is, because you think it is, and you are wrong. It's ok to be wrong; it's not ok to realize you're wrong, and not change. They are animals, they are, without question, by nature, of less import than a large number of other issues because of what they are.

    It's a value system, a simple one, and your problem is that you're assigning incorrect values to things.

    PS: You are indeed a racist fuck for going after Asians because they eat dogs\cats. You're using your emotional bias to demonize something. There is zero difference between a cat\dog, and any other animal we consume, other than we (humans) have selectively bred them genetically to display properties we value in pets, as opposed to properties we value for food. You're entire basis is standing on your emotions, not facts.

    My fiance who is Vietnamese, and my fiance's sibling never have, nor will eat dog meat, even though their parent(s) love dog meat. Their only inhibition is that they think dogs are cute, and are for pets, not eating. That's simply elevating something on the basis of emotions. My first trip to Vietnam I am most definitely feasting on some roasted doggo, as I enjoy both new foods and all kinds of meat.

  7. #87
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,016
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsReality View Post
    No. It is not a problem. You say it is, because you think it is, and you are wrong. It's ok to be wrong; it's not ok to realize you're wrong, and not change. They are animals, they are, without question, by nature, of less import than a large number of other issues because of what they are.

    It's a value system, a simple one, and your problem is that you're assigning incorrect values to things.

    PS: You are indeed a racist fuck for going after Asians because they eat dogs\cats. You're using your emotional bias to demonize something. There is zero difference between a cat\dog, and any other animal we consume, other than we (humans) have selectively bred them genetically to display properties we value in pets, as opposed to properties we value for food. You're entire basis is standing on your emotions, not facts.

    My fiance who is Vietnamese, and my fiance's sibling never have, nor will eat dog meat, even though their parent(s) love dog meat. Their only inhibition is that they think dogs are cute, and are for pets, not eating. That's simply elevating something on the basis of emotions. My first trip to Vietnam I am most definitely feasting on some roasted doggo, as I enjoy both new foods and all kinds of meat.
    So you bring up saying that I am wrong because they are animals and therefore less important. You completely ignore the fact that literally thousands of animals each day are being put down across the nation because people (the higher intelligence beings) get these animals as pets (which are lesser intelligence beings) and neglect to take care of them properly.

    Then you go on to call me a racist because I was responding to another poster in this thread who brought up Asians eating dog meat (I wasn't the one who initially brought up Asians eating dog meat). You then go on to confirm that Asians do indeed eat dog & cat as part of their diet and even go as far to state how your own fiance's parents love dog meat and how YOU will on your first trip to Vietnam will eat roasted dog. Please explain how my argument is emotional bias trying to demonize Asians when you even admit yourself that Asians eat dog & cat meat.

    The issue with the dogs here in the US and globally that are being put down in shelters because owners abandon them after the dog/cat outgrows the cute phase or the animal isn't trained properly from the owner who gets rid of the animal instead of properly training it. The issue is also that they aren't even being used as a food source but instead tossed into bags that go to the landfills. It would be different if these dogs and cats were being put down & then butchered for their food, but that's not the case. They are euthanized & discarded because their owners are negligent assholes who couldn't care for them properly.

  8. #88
    New hot dogs, how bad are dogs and cats on cholesterol? Do they fart less than cows?

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So you bring up saying that I am wrong because they are animals and therefore less important. You completely ignore the fact that literally thousands of animals each day are being put down across the nation because people (the higher intelligence beings) get these animals as pets (which are lesser intelligence beings) and neglect to take care of them properly.

    Then you go on to call me a racist because I was responding to another poster in this thread who brought up Asians eating dog meat (I wasn't the one who initially brought up Asians eating dog meat). You then go on to confirm that Asians do indeed eat dog & cat as part of their diet and even go as far to state how your own fiance's parents love dog meat and how YOU will on your first trip to Vietnam will eat roasted dog. Please explain how my argument is emotional bias trying to demonize Asians when you even admit yourself that Asians eat dog & cat meat.

    The issue with the dogs here in the US and globally that are being put down in shelters because owners abandon them after the dog/cat outgrows the cute phase or the animal isn't trained properly from the owner who gets rid of the animal instead of properly training it. The issue is also that they aren't even being used as a food source but instead tossed into bags that go to the landfills. It would be different if these dogs and cats were being put down & then butchered for their food, but that's not the case. They are euthanized & discarded because their owners are negligent assholes who couldn't care for them properly.
    Because there's nothing wrong with eating them.

    And none of this is a big deal. You're making it into one.

    I'll tell you what. What's your solution? It has to be reasonable, it has to be affordable, it has to be something people are willing to do, and it can't elevate above\impede the rights of people.

  10. #90
    High Overlord voxnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rocklin, CA, USA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsReality View Post
    Cough syrup for sick people. Advil for hurt people. And jeans for human comfort. Thank you for proving my point that humankind is first and foremost the most important thing worth worrying about.

    And when you work your way down many many hierarchies\tiers you get to animals. And of all the "pressing" animal issues, the one this thread is about, isn't even at the top.

    TLDR; I pity the person that explains why my argument is correct, by presenting their mentally deficint argument. SMH.
    I don't need or want your pity, but thanks I suppose.

    You also might consider spelling the word deficient correctly if you are going to call someone 'mentally deficient' .

    What you consider to be the most important problems may not be - those are just that, your opinions. You don't get to force them on other people, nor do I see the benefit in claiming someone else's philanthropic philosophies are wrong when the inherently cannot be as they are opinions.

    But I expect you to ignore my greater point and and claim once again that I am (sic) 'deficint'.

    Cheers.
    Voxnor the Fearless (Main - Protection Paladin)
    Atlas the Seeker (Alt - Frost Mage)
    Voxic the Proven Assailant (Alt - Assassination Rogue)

  11. #91
    Immortal matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South of the Border
    Posts
    7,674
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    And I guarantee you wouldn’t say that to my face and continue to live on this planet. To say my dog had more value than you is an understatement
    You're dog isn't worth what I could get for selling the fur skinned off his back what you gonna do loony toon?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Ugh, calling animals "furbabies" is so gauche. It does a disservice to them to conflate them with humans.
    wtf furbaby I have never heard that until now the cringe in this thread knows no bounds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Klling a new born is not much morally different than a late term abortion. Should be avoided, but it's not like it is an actual person yet.

  12. #92
    What do you propose, exactly? Dog licenses that mandate basic courses on handling dogs? Much like the idea of doing that with having children (which people also do recklessly with no idea WTF they're doing) managing that would be very difficult.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    I don't need or want your pity, but thanks I suppose.

    You also might consider spelling the word deficient correctly if you are going to call someone 'mentally deficient' .

    What you consider to be the most important problems may not be - those are just that, your opinions. You don't get to force them on other people, nor do I see the benefit in claiming someone else's philanthropic philosophies are wrong when the inherently cannot be as they are opinions.

    But I expect you to ignore my greater point and and claim once again that I am (sic) 'deficint'.

    Cheers.
    I don't pity you.

    Missing one letter in a word doesn't invalidate an argument, and If you feel that's worth pointing out, the twelve year old kids that play fortnite called and want their leader back. Maybe hit me up when you have an actual rebuttal.

    You don't get to choose what are opinions, and what are simple, easy to understand facts.

    You don't have a great point; you don't even have a mediocre point.

    You had (really trying hard not to be mean about how bad it was) a... very poorly chosen example for an even worse argument. If you're going to keep bouncing back like a wham-o superball filled with stupid, pick a better hill to die on. Not "It's an opinion whether or not animals being put down is of greater importance than other (actually important) issues."

  14. #94
    High Overlord voxnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rocklin, CA, USA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsReality View Post
    I don't pity you.

    Missing one letter in a word doesn't invalidate an argument, and If you feel that's worth pointing out, the twelve year old kids that play fortnite called and want their leader back. Maybe hit me up when you have an actual rebuttal.

    You don't get to choose what are opinions, and what are simple, easy to understand facts.

    You don't have a great point; you don't even have a mediocre point.

    You had (really trying hard not to be mean about how bad it was) a... very poorly chosen example for an even worse argument. If you're going to keep bouncing back like a wham-o superball filled with stupid, pick a better hill to die on. Not "It's an opinion whether or not animals being put down is of greater importance than other (actually important) issues."
    Never have played fortnite. But my Wife might agree that sometimes I act like a 12 year old.

    You ask for an actual rebuttal, then give none to my legitimate argument. The importance of issues is not a fact, it's an opinion. If you try and prove otherwise, you are simply misguided or uneducated (or both?).

    But given how you've answered, i'll go back to basics for you: A fact is something that can be proven. Simple enough. Prove to me that human's having drinking water is more important than animals being put down. Go ahead, i'll wait. And i'll pick apart whatever shitty sudo-proof you think is valid.
    Voxnor the Fearless (Main - Protection Paladin)
    Atlas the Seeker (Alt - Frost Mage)
    Voxic the Proven Assailant (Alt - Assassination Rogue)

  15. #95
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    17,002
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Until we solve the issue of homeless children I could give a rats ass about unwanted animals.
    One problem is that we are the cause of their high population. We have breeders and puppy farms to ensure the supply is abundant. Yet it is in a way ok for people to just up and kill/discard them when they don't want them anymore, or weren't prepared or able to care for them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  16. #96
    I died today. You killed me, then carved my body up and ate me.

    I’m a cow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

  17. #97
    The Unstoppable Force cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    23,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    One problem is that we are the cause of their high population. We have breeders and puppy farms to ensure the supply is abundant. Yet it is in a way ok for people to just up and kill/discard them when they don't want them anymore, or weren't prepared or able to care for them.
    Oh, definitely agreed. We are definitely making any problem worse with how we treat and care for and discard these animals. No argument there. I just don't really care (outside of some obvious issues like dog fighting and outright cruelty - that's just not necessary and breeds all kind of bad behavior in humans).

    Homeless children, in my humble opinion, is what everyone should be working on right now. Fix that, and my passions and talents are at your disposal for most causes.
    The less you know, the more you believe.

    Science has promised us nothing and given us everything, faith has promised us everything and given us nothing.

  18. #98
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    17,002
    For the "They're Just Animals" folks. Do you feel you have more of a right to life than an animal? I can understand you feeling like your life is more important since it is your life. But do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore? Is that really a fair and logical way of thinking of a living creature?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Oh, definitely agreed. We are definitely making any problem worse with how we treat and care for and discard these animals. No argument there. I just don't really care (outside of some obvious issues like dog fighting and outright cruelty - that's just not necessary and breeds all kind of bad behavior in humans).

    Homeless children, in my humble opinion, is what everyone should be working on right now. Fix that, and my passions and talents are at your disposal for most causes.
    That is fair to feel addressing a human problem takes priority. But we have enough people in the world to take care of multitudes of issues at the same time.

    Someone said earlier that there are states which are banning the mass breeding of animals which I feel is a simple enough way to cull the supply which should reduce the amount of people who would abandon their pet. I also like the idea of having a licensing program for pet ownership.

    I know there are rescues which require interviews and home visits before adopting a pet to a new home. Something like that is helpful to ensure the new owner will be responsible enough to ensure they don't end up in a shelter months later.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I died today. You killed me, then put me in an oven and disintegrated me.

    I'm the pet you were supposed to raise and be responsible for.
    I put it into relevant context.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  19. #99
    The Unstoppable Force Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    On vacaaaatiioooon! :3
    Posts
    23,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    You should have to take a quick class (for free. Online maybe) in order to own a non-caged pet. .
    Caged pets are also heavily subjected to misery and cruelty. Hamsters kept in plastic cages barely bigger than a shoebox, rabbits kept in outdoor cages their entire lives with no care or stimulation, fishes kept in bowls with zero natural plantation, forced to slowly die in their own feces.

    The list goes on. Non-caged animals are not the only ones capable of experiencing suffering.
    - July 19, 2019: The World First Race on a single channel, before counting across the board, has more viewers than Asmongold.
    - Suck it, all of you "WoW only draws a crowd when Asmongold streams!!"-screechers! ^_^

  20. #100
    The Unstoppable Force cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    23,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    For the "They're Just Animals" folks. Do you feel you have more of a right to life than an animal? I can understand you feeling like your life is more important since it is your life. But do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore? Is that really a fair and logical way of thinking of a living creature?
    You're asking two different questions here. You first asked if a human being has more right to life than an animal. I have to say yes to that. BUT then you changed it a bit, and significantly changed the issue, to do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore - and that's a different topic altogether. I happen to think that if you've agreed to care for an animal, you should be obliged to do so. I'm not sure if that contradicts my earlier statements, but there it is regardless.


    That is fair to feel addressing a human problem takes priority. But we have enough people in the world to take care of multitudes of issues at the same time.
    Then why is the problem only getting worse? 2.5 million homeless children in the U.S. alone. IMO all efforts for animals should cease, immediately, and be refocused on homeless children until it's resolved, 100%. I can't believe we live in a country that allows even one child to be homeless.
    The less you know, the more you believe.

    Science has promised us nothing and given us everything, faith has promised us everything and given us nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •