Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsReality View Post
    No. It is not a problem. You say it is, because you think it is, and you are wrong. It's ok to be wrong; it's not ok to realize you're wrong, and not change. They are animals, they are, without question, by nature, of less import than a large number of other issues because of what they are.

It's a value system, a simple one, and your problem is that you're assigning incorrect values to things.

PS: You are indeed a racist fuck for going after Asians because they eat dogs\cats. You're using your emotional bias to demonize something. There is zero difference between a cat\dog, and any other animal we consume, other than we (humans) have selectively bred them genetically to display properties we value in pets, as opposed to properties we value for food. You're entire basis is standing on your emotions, not facts.

My fiance who is Vietnamese, and my fiance's sibling never have, nor will eat dog meat, even though their parent(s) love dog meat. Their only inhibition is that they think dogs are cute, and are for pets, not eating. That's simply elevating something on the basis of emotions. My first trip to Vietnam I am most definitely feasting on some roasted doggo, as I enjoy both new foods and all kinds of meat.
    So you bring up saying that I am wrong because they are animals and therefore less important. You completely ignore the fact that literally thousands of animals each day are being put down across the nation because people (the higher intelligence beings) get these animals as pets (which are lesser intelligence beings) and neglect to take care of them properly.

Then you go on to call me a racist because I was responding to another poster in this thread who brought up Asians eating dog meat (I wasn't the one who initially brought up Asians eating dog meat). You then go on to confirm that Asians do indeed eat dog & cat as part of their diet and even go as far to state how your own fiance's parents love dog meat and how YOU will on your first trip to Vietnam will eat roasted dog. Please explain how my argument is emotional bias trying to demonize Asians when you even admit yourself that Asians eat dog & cat meat.

The issue with the dogs here in the US and globally that are being put down in shelters because owners abandon them after the dog/cat outgrows the cute phase or the animal isn't trained properly from the owner who gets rid of the animal instead of properly training it. The issue is also that they aren't even being used as a food source but instead tossed into bags that go to the landfills. It would be different if these dogs and cats were being put down & then butchered for their food, but that's not the case. They are euthanized & discarded because their owners are negligent assholes who couldn't care for them properly.

New hot dogs, how bad are dogs and cats on cholesterol? Do they fart less than cows?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So you bring up saying that I am wrong because they are animals and therefore less important. You completely ignore the fact that literally thousands of animals each day are being put down across the nation because people (the higher intelligence beings) get these animals as pets (which are lesser intelligence beings) and neglect to take care of them properly.

Then you go on to call me a racist because I was responding to another poster in this thread who brought up Asians eating dog meat (I wasn't the one who initially brought up Asians eating dog meat). You then go on to confirm that Asians do indeed eat dog & cat as part of their diet and even go as far to state how your own fiance's parents love dog meat and how YOU will on your first trip to Vietnam will eat roasted dog. Please explain how my argument is emotional bias trying to demonize Asians when you even admit yourself that Asians eat dog & cat meat.

The issue with the dogs here in the US and globally that are being put down in shelters because owners abandon them after the dog/cat outgrows the cute phase or the animal isn't trained properly from the owner who gets rid of the animal instead of properly training it. The issue is also that they aren't even being used as a food source but instead tossed into bags that go to the landfills. It would be different if these dogs and cats were being put down & then butchered for their food, but that's not the case. They are euthanized & discarded because their owners are negligent assholes who couldn't care for them properly.
    Because there's nothing wrong with eating them.

And none of this is a big deal. You're making it into one.

I'll tell you what. What's your solution? It has to be reasonable, it has to be affordable, it has to be something people are willing to do, and it can't elevate above\impede the rights of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cough syrup for sick people. Advil for hurt people. And jeans for human comfort. Thank you for proving my point that humankind is first and foremost the most important thing worth worrying about.

And when you work your way down many many hierarchies\tiers you get to animals. And of all the "pressing" animal issues, the one this thread is about, isn't even at the top.

TLDR; I pity the person that explains why my argument is correct, by presenting their mentally deficint argument. SMH.
    I don't need or want your pity, but thanks I suppose.

You also might consider spelling the word deficient correctly if you are going to call someone 'mentally deficient' .

What you consider to be the most important problems may not be - those are just that, your opinions. You don't get to force them on other people, nor do I see the benefit in claiming someone else's philanthropic philosophies are wrong when the inherently cannot be as they are opinions.

But I expect you to ignore my greater point and and claim once again that I am (sic) 'deficint'.

Cheers.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

What do you propose, exactly? Dog licenses that mandate basic courses on handling dogs? Much like the idea of doing that with having children (which people also do recklessly with no idea WTF they're doing) managing that would be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    I don't need or want your pity, but thanks I suppose.

You also might consider spelling the word deficient correctly if you are going to call someone 'mentally deficient' .

What you consider to be the most important problems may not be - those are just that, your opinions. You don't get to force them on other people, nor do I see the benefit in claiming someone else's philanthropic philosophies are wrong when the inherently cannot be as they are opinions.

But I expect you to ignore my greater point and and claim once again that I am (sic) 'deficint'.

Cheers.
    I don't pity you.

Missing one letter in a word doesn't invalidate an argument, and If you feel that's worth pointing out, the twelve year old kids that play fortnite called and want their leader back. Maybe hit me up when you have an actual rebuttal.

You don't get to choose what are opinions, and what are simple, easy to understand facts.

You don't have a great point; you don't even have a mediocre point.

You had (really trying hard not to be mean about how bad it was) a... very poorly chosen example for an even worse argument. If you're going to keep bouncing back like a wham-o superball filled with stupid, pick a better hill to die on. Not "It's an opinion whether or not animals being put down is of greater importance than other (actually important) issues."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't pity you.

Missing one letter in a word doesn't invalidate an argument, and If you feel that's worth pointing out, the twelve year old kids that play fortnite called and want their leader back. Maybe hit me up when you have an actual rebuttal.

You don't get to choose what are opinions, and what are simple, easy to understand facts.

You don't have a great point; you don't even have a mediocre point.

You had (really trying hard not to be mean about how bad it was) a... very poorly chosen example for an even worse argument. If you're going to keep bouncing back like a wham-o superball filled with stupid, pick a better hill to die on. Not "It's an opinion whether or not animals being put down is of greater importance than other (actually important) issues."
    Never have played fortnite. But my Wife might agree that sometimes I act like a 12 year old.

You ask for an actual rebuttal, then give none to my legitimate argument. The importance of issues is not a fact, it's an opinion. If you try and prove otherwise, you are simply misguided or uneducated (or both?).

But given how you've answered, i'll go back to basics for you: A fact is something that can be proven. Simple enough. Prove to me that human's having drinking water is more important than animals being put down. Go ahead, i'll wait. And i'll pick apart whatever shitty sudo-proof you think is valid.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Until we solve the issue of homeless children I could give a rats ass about unwanted animals.
    One problem is that we are the cause of their high population. We have breeders and puppy farms to ensure the supply is abundant. Yet it is in a way ok for people to just up and kill/discard them when they don't want them anymore, or weren't prepared or able to care for them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    One problem is that we are the cause of their high population. We have breeders and puppy farms to ensure the supply is abundant. Yet it is in a way ok for people to just up and kill/discard them when they don't want them anymore, or weren't prepared or able to care for them.
    Oh, definitely agreed. We are definitely making any problem worse with how we treat and care for and discard these animals. No argument there. I just don't really care (outside of some obvious issues like dog fighting and outright cruelty - that's just not necessary and breeds all kind of bad behavior in humans).

Homeless children, in my humble opinion, is what everyone should be working on right now. Fix that, and my passions and talents are at your disposal for most causes.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the "They're Just Animals" folks. Do you feel you have more of a right to life than an animal? I can understand you feeling like your life is more important since it is your life. But do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore? Is that really a fair and logical way of thinking of a living creature?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, definitely agreed. We are definitely making any problem worse with how we treat and care for and discard these animals. No argument there. I just don't really care (outside of some obvious issues like dog fighting and outright cruelty - that's just not necessary and breeds all kind of bad behavior in humans).

Homeless children, in my humble opinion, is what everyone should be working on right now. Fix that, and my passions and talents are at your disposal for most causes.
    That is fair to feel addressing a human problem takes priority. But we have enough people in the world to take care of multitudes of issues at the same time.

Someone said earlier that there are states which are banning the mass breeding of animals which I feel is a simple enough way to cull the supply which should reduce the amount of people who would abandon their pet. I also like the idea of having a licensing program for pet ownership.

I know there are rescues which require interviews and home visits before adopting a pet to a new home. Something like that is helpful to ensure the new owner will be responsible enough to ensure they don't end up in a shelter months later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I died today. You killed me, then put me in an oven and disintegrated me.

I'm the pet you were supposed to raise and be responsible for.
    I put it into relevant context.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    You should have to take a quick class (for free. Online maybe) in order to own a non-caged pet. .
    Caged pets are also heavily subjected to misery and cruelty. Hamsters kept in plastic cages barely bigger than a shoebox, rabbits kept in outdoor cages their entire lives with no care or stimulation, fishes kept in bowls with zero natural plantation, forced to slowly die in their own feces.

The list goes on. Non-caged animals are not the only ones capable of experiencing suffering.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    For the "They're Just Animals" folks. Do you feel you have more of a right to life than an animal? I can understand you feeling like your life is more important since it is your life. But do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore? Is that really a fair and logical way of thinking of a living creature?
    You're asking two different questions here. You first asked if a human being has more right to life than an animal. I have to say yes to that. BUT then you changed it a bit, and significantly changed the issue, to do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore - and that's a different topic altogether. I happen to think that if you've agreed to care for an animal, you should be obliged to do so. I'm not sure if that contradicts my earlier statements, but there it is regardless.

That is fair to feel addressing a human problem takes priority. But we have enough people in the world to take care of multitudes of issues at the same time.
    Then why is the problem only getting worse? 2.5 million homeless children in the U.S. alone. IMO all efforts for animals should cease, immediately, and be refocused on homeless children until it's resolved, 100%. I can't believe we live in a country that allows even one child to be homeless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Caged pets are also heavily subjected to misery and cruelty. Hamsters kept in plastic cages barely bigger than a shoebox, rabbits kept in outdoor cages their entire lives with no care or stimulation, fishes kept in bowls with zero natural plantation, forced to slowly die in their own feces.

The list goes on. Non-caged animals are not the only ones capable of experiencing suffering.
    I hear ya. I am not a fan of caged animals. My fiance who has been a Vet Tech for 13 years has 2 parakeets who are basically furniture pieces that we have to feed and clean. She knows my feelings on it, but they are her's, not mine. So I can't dictate how they are cared for. But the bunny we had I wasn't going to allow to sit in a small cage. I ensured that the living room was bunny safe and she was able to roam freely when we were home.

- - - Updated - - -

You're asking two different questions here. You first asked if a human being has more right to life than an animal. I have to say yes to that. BUT then you changed it a bit, and significantly changed the issue, to do you really feel like it is right to end the life of an animal just because you don't feel like dealing with it anymore - and that's a different topic altogether. I happen to think that if you've agreed to care for an animal, you should be obliged to do so. I'm not sure if that contradicts my earlier statements, but there it is regardless.
    I do agree with hunting, and I accept that animals will need to be dealt with for territory expansion. But to simply kill an animal one doesn't want anymore I can't agree with.

Edit: We are in agreement on that = )

As for the plain right to life, it's muddy when it comes to needing to bulldoze places to build new homes and such. I just think there is a line where they have just as much right to live as we don.

Then why is the problem only getting worse? 2.5 million homeless children in the U.S. alone. IMO all efforts for animals should cease, immediately, and be refocused on homeless children until it's resolved, 100%. I can't believe we live in a country that allows even one child to be homeless.
    I wholly agree with you there. Animal rights groups exist and handle their job and do great things. But our groups/organizations/departments for taking care of homeless children should be doing a way better job. I'm not sure where to point the finger at on that one, but it is a problem that needs a whole lot more action.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2019-06-14 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw this in my news feed last night and thought I'd share it on here. This is a problem that is only growing each and every day. This is not limited to just the US either. This is a global issue.

I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge . Would I still be at home if I hadn’t chewed your shoe? I didn’t know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys. Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn’t get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t barked? I was only saying, “I’m scared, I’m lonely, I’m here, I’m here! I want to be your best friend.” Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn’t make me learn how. Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn’t pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me. I died today. Love, Your Puppy

If you don't think this really happens....you aren't living in reality.....they die daily.....thousands.....

Only solution is that people grow the fuck up and take responsibility of what they are part of.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Only solution is that people grow the fuck up and take responsibility of what they are part of.
    In a nut shell. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    And I guarantee you wouldn’t say that to my face and continue to live on this planet. To say my dog had more value than you is an understatement
    Need to calm down there buddy.

I also recommend getting help, as sad as it is, all thing must pass, if you cant cope you need to find help before hurting some, most likely someone you can about.

The things you care about, other care about too, but not your things. I like my people and my pets, but not yours. You say your dog was the best and I say mine was, but to each there own.

I'm sorry for your loss, and i'm sure you're sorry about mine, but you really need to get help for that anger you got there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    sucks for the animals.

but they are just animals. the owners that turned them in obviously didn't want them and wouldn't have cared for them the way they should. then, nobody else wanted to either. sucks but...

THEY'RE ANIMALS.
    sucks for people, their just people, there is plenty more, and more being made every day. some people other people didn't even want, hell some are very bad people, but we still cant get rid of them.

feelbadman

There are alot of useless animals that we wont even eat when they die, but same with people there is alot of waste of space in life all we really can do is nod and say, yes thats life.

Yup, it's atrocious. Like someone mentioned, you need a license to drive a car, operate certain equipment etc.
    But it's A OK to use a dog or even a cat as something disposable.

Always been taught as a kid a pet is not just something fun, it's a responsibility.
    My first dog was a German shepherd, had to take obedience lessons. this actually led to Agility and even defense training my dog.
    As a kid this created a bond with MY dog, loved her like nothing else in the world.

Only pic i still have from my childhood, is me with a big grin with my goofy girl sitting next to me.

As old as the bond is we share with dogs, we've had examples of cruelty that goes back just as far, the human condition is a bitch.

If you don't think this really happens....you aren't living in reality.....they die daily.....thousands.....
    What do you expect? What happens when any population of an animal grows out of proportion? The Human animal has grown to absurd proportions and we are seeing the effects of our own overpopulation on the world around us. Of course it is distasteful to look at our ill effect on the world and know that the fault lies with us.

You want to know something more distasteful than dogs dying in cement prisons we built for them? How about looking at insect populations in so called first world countries over the past 50 years. Look at factory farming, and tearing down old growth rain forests to build soy bean farms. Look at the great pacific garbage patch. Look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki that are still suffering from radiation issues closing in on 100 years after the fact.

It isn't that humans don't care about dogs, it is that we don't care about anything more than we care about our own comfort and survival. We will gladly trash our planet to have access to the internet, and donuts available 24/7. Welcome to the human condition.

3+ Year Old Account
    The root reason for such tragedy is the irresponsible owners throw their pets in various excuses, people who really love their pets will seldom use such method.