Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    The XBox pass is providing access to a library of static games. No one is working on them, they just exist now. WoW is a dynamic game with dozens of people working on it every day, and potentially even more providing support and other secondary needs.

    The pass is actually a money grab. Instead of relying on one-time purchases, Microsoft is now getting a steady flow of money from much more people that wouldn’t have bought the individual games. Meanwhile, the $15 WoW gets is actually not enough as the economy changes, which causes Blizzard to look at other ways to make more and keep subs.
    That's actually not true at all. I'm not sure who told you that or where you got your info from but you're wrong. There are a lot of games on the game pass that are constantly updated. WoW is way over priced in comparison.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Only if you like the games. The thing about "value" to the customer is that it's the customer who decides what is and isn't a value and what is and what isn't worth anything. If someone is playing WoW 40 hours a month and the Xbox games 10 hours a month then WoW is arguably a better "value" to that person.
    Yes, but why would you be paying a subscription for games you don't like playing?

    (That question is rhetorical for WOW players who still login each week despite not getting enjoyment from the game.)
    "Come what come may, Time and the hour runs through the roughest day." — William Shakespeare.

  3. #203
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    27,711
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Yes, but why would you be paying a subscription for games you don't like playing?
    They shouldn't but that's their decision and none of my business. I don't think it's really all that rhetorical. Blizzard makes it really easy to subscribe, unsubscribe and come back whenever you want. The smart way to play is to subscribe for the new expansion and major patches and then spend a month doing the stuff you want to do and unsubscribe. I'm pretty sure that there are people that do that and Blizzard knows exactly who they are. Other approaches include doing tokens which is no money out of pocket for the player at all. If the game is attractive enough for that then they play for free.

    Once you split out your customer's buying patterns then you can forecast based on that and budget accordingly. Of course developers will try and craft a game that people will want to stay around for but they are as aware as anyone here that the game is old and that players are going to come and go. That's one reason why they make it so simple to do so.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    Issues specific to WoW General Discussions/BfA/Classic can be sent to any forum moderator or globals.
    Please report problem posts. Site rules can be found here.

    To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Nothing so needs reforming as other people's opinions."

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    That's actually not true at all. I'm not sure who told you that or where you got your info from but you're wrong. There are a lot of games on the game pass that are constantly updated. WoW is way over priced in comparison.
    Your wrong. You cannot compare a gaming systems subscription service to a games subscription service. A game that has about what 5 million players actively subbed vs a system that has over 64 million active subscribers. Xbox doesnt need to charge 14 or 10 when it dwarfs a single MMOs numbers. They look at their subs and ask how low can we drop this to get the most amount of people on board while still getting a huge profit down the line.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Your wrong. You cannot compare a gaming systems subscription service to a games subscription service. A game that has about what 5 million players actively subbed vs a system that has over 64 million active subscribers. Xbox doesnt need to charge 14 or 10 when it dwarfs a single MMOs numbers. They look at their subs and ask how low can we drop this to get the most amount of people on board while still getting a huge profit down the line.
    You can easily compare them, you just don't want to.

    At the end of the day, if someone is equally interested in the games that game pass offers and WoW and they are on a budget the Game Pass is most likely going to get their money because the value is better. I've heard so many people over the years say the main reason they don't care about playing WoW is because of the 15$ monthly fee for one game.

    Also the Game Pass isn't a gaming systems subscription service, that is Xbox Live Gold. Two different things. The game pass doesn't have 64 million subs.
    Last edited by nyc81991; Yesterday at 09:28 AM.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    That's actually not true at all. I'm not sure who told you that or where you got your info from but you're wrong. There are a lot of games on the game pass that are constantly updated.
    I'll admit I may be wrong there, but I doubt that the total amount of devs for all games on the pass are anywhere near the amount of people working on or for WoW.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    WoW is way over priced in comparison.
    It's been $15 a month for 15 years. If the sub was updated for inflation, it should be $20 by now, so no, it's underpriced. They even recently got rid of the requirement to even purchase WoW (Battlechest), anyone can play up to the last expansion with just the sub.


    addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame
    WoW soundnames (4.5 MB)
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    I'll admit I may be wrong there, but I doubt that the total amount of devs for all games on the pass are anywhere near the amount of people working on or for WoW.



    It's been $15 a month for 15 years. If the sub was updated for inflation, it should be $20 by now, so no, it's underpriced.
    I can guarantee you there are more devs working on the games that are on the Games Pass than there are working on WoW. Not to mention all the games coming to the Game Pass.

    As for the "inflation argument", that's not how things work. If Blizzard did that they would lose even more subs than WoW already has over the years and the would be completely destroyed by their competition who are offering significantly better values than even 15$ per month for a game.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I can guarantee you there are more devs working on the games that are on the Games Pass than there are working on WoW. Not to mention all the games coming to the Game Pass.

    As for the "inflation argument", that's not how things work. If Blizzard did that they would lose even more subs than WoW already has over the years and the would be completely destroyed by their competition who are offering significantly better values than even 15$ per month for a game.
    But do you guys realize that if blizz could make more money on selling 10$ subs, they would? Or do you think they have graduates running their budgets? The price is set by the customer. If we are willing to pay, they be stupid not to charge us for that.
    Also, comparing gaming system sub and one game is not very bright. If wow had 50+ mil subs, server costs would be way higher, but content budget would be so much bigger too. Now we don't know how many subs there are, but it falls on let's say 4mil (random guess) players to pay for content budget.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I can guarantee you there are more devs working on the games that are on the Games Pass than there are working on WoW. Not to mention all the games coming to the Game Pass.

    As for the "inflation argument", that's not how things work. If Blizzard did that they would lose even more subs than WoW already has over the years and the would be completely destroyed by their competition who are offering significantly better values than even 15$ per month for a game.
    I didn’t say devs for WoW, I said people. Do you think devs ban players?

    $15 is necessary and not overpriced. If you were to take the profit margin out, I highly doubt you would get close to $10, assuming WoW is making a profit at all. That’s even taking into account the store.

    You also have to take into account server/internet costs. Blizzard doesn’t host WoW on cheap GoDaddy servers. If you have ever paid for hosting, there’s no way you would ever afford millions of visitors and gigabytes of constant traffic.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; Yesterday at 11:38 AM.


    addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame
    WoW soundnames (4.5 MB)
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You are moving goalposts here, benefit of "eating" any cost in this case - exposure of consumers to other MS products. They are building their own market, companies go out of their own way to build reliable markets (ever heard about "uplifting" (read: "charity") 3rd world countries in order to establish economy and send them your goods to buy?). Having a shitty subscription for "yeah, i mean it's pocket change" cost for MS is beneficial, even if they "eat cost" by providing this service for less money, because more people will subscribe this way. If they'll rack up the cost - people will be concerned about spending more.

    More users (as in - bigger market to sell your goods) is almost always a positive. Spending a little to earn a lot is business 101
    No, I’m not. Go back and read what I was replying to before you interjected yourself. You’ll find that those were the goalposts fom the beginning and you’re the one who is trying to move them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    I didn’t say devs for WoW, I said people. Do you think devs ban players?
    You weren't at Blizz forums and the ol Irc when Afrasabi Called Ion an Retard for climing that C'thun was impossible, and Afrasabi almost banning Ion and the Guild for proving that he Was Wrong.

    Ironically he's now working at blizzard.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlockmyhrt View Post
    Just keep running in circles its funny
    So ya got nothing, as suspected.

  13. #213
    Stop whining and just unsub. I didn't buy a sub for rl money since 2015 and quit last year. Millions of others in the same boat. Activision only care about making money at the end of the day, they couldn't care less about these whine threads.

  14. #214
    Warcraft III Megathreader Lilithvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Managing the WC3 Megathread
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGAForLife View Post
    Stop using the numerical time designator as an argument. The fact that it's '2019' is arbitrary. Also, if you can't afford $15, you need to rethink your priorities.

    edit: Think about it. As time goes on, money loses value, so you're actually paying less. Today's $15 was worth around $1200 in 2004. And in 1842? Today's $15 was worth a whopping 1.7 billion dollars!
    $1200 in 2004?
    Yeah no. Your math is hella wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PelinalWhitestrake View Post
    You weren't at Blizz forums and the ol Irc when Afrasabi Called Ion an Retard for climing that C'thun was impossible, and Afrasabi almost banning Ion and the Guild for proving that he Was Wrong.

    Ironically he's now working at blizzard.
    Ion is not only working at Blizzard, but he's now Afrasabi's BOSS.

    Originally Posted by Graxigrov
    We do know the unique environment that takes place there. The name that you used, however, was vulgar and inappropriate and therefore the post was removed. I hope this helps clarify things! As explained above, discussing forum penalties or actions does violate our Code of Conduct and there’s an alternative to raise these types of concerns, so I’m going to lock this one down. Thank you!
    Apparently "Pornshire", a commonly used term for the Goldshire Inn on moonguard by just about everyone, is "vulgar and inappropriate".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer
    PFFFT. So they closed the thread for the term "pornshire". HAH!



  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    So ya got nothing, as suspected.
    Well we obviously have a difference of opinion on the post, we stated our opinions and got each others perspectives, what else is there to say?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •