Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    On the topic of Discord. How do you even find good groups and channels?
    There is nothing indexed in search engines. The Discord search in itself sucks. I'm not sure why it's that popular. Boggles my mind. Seriously, it's a weird mix of forum stickies, IRC and teamspeak in the most confusing way possible and nothing expect some stickies, which could be also done in a forum has any relevance for more than 5 minutes.
    I just don't see the advantages other than it's free and easy to setup.

On shadow priests, nothing beats the TBC version of shadow priest. Absolutely nothing. It was perfection in PvE.

Slightly off topic, but discord is nice for a multitude of reasons.
    • Pins - Easy to find information that is stickied
    • Text Chat - Generally there are people online in discord and you can get your answer quite quickly, within in seconds.
    • Voice Chat - While not necessarily used in class discords, it's great for guilds, why have a separate voice chat program when you can use the same one your class info is at?
    • Discord Bots - Some questions get answered repeatedly, something that has been a problem with every medium, since well, forever. Discord bots can be given custom commands where a user can input one and have the bot spit out info for it, we use them in the priest discord often.

I understand the hesitance for using discord, but also understand that the majority of class discords also have a website that pairs with them. If they don't there is also wowhead/icy veins to serve as general guides, which is a good starting point for most players. Class discords exist to help players who have specific questions they either can't find the answer to, or they need a quick answer then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    only problem with that is how long it will take to get to that point. 2020 is a retail year, so 2021 before BC if it happens at all.
    Some of us don't care about retail. Like, at all. I know once new expansion comes out, it will beat Classic WoW in terms of most streamed game for a few weeks, and retail fanboys will be like all over again, "Oh look, Classic is dead!!! Retail has more viewers on Twitch now!!!". Well duh, an expansion just launched, and there's always massive hype behind these things. It's bound to take the spotlight at least for a little while. Once the hype dies down, however, Classic will be back on top again.

Quote Originally Posted by enzi View Post

On shadow priests, nothing beats the TBC version of shadow priest. Absolutely nothing. It was perfection in PvE.
    How can one like TBC Shadow, but not WotLK and Cata? They are direct evolutions of the TBC Shadow design. Same spells, same playstyle. Cata SP was still the same thing as TBC Shadow, just with a few new spells on top (Mind Sear/Dispersion/baseline DP added in WotLK, Dark Archangel/Mind Spike in Cata).
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    How can one like TBC Shadow, but not WotLK and Cata? They are direct evolutions of the TBC Shadow design. Same spells, same playstyle. Cata SP was still the same thing as TBC Shadow, just with a few new spells on top (Mind Sear/Dispersion/baseline DP added in WotLK, Dark Archangel/Mind Spike in Cata).
    I enjoyed the way shadow played for the most part all the way until MoP, where I think it started to unravel a bit. It's hard to say exactly why, but I feel like MoP was the beginning of the end in terms of my level of enjoyment playing the spec.

As to why I feel TBC was the best version of shadow, it essentially boils down to how valued I felt in a group setting. People begged me to join their group, and they talked about how great it was to have a shadowpriest with them. Those were the most fun times for me, when I joined a group and everyone seemed grateful to have me.

In general, I would prefer that Blizzard go back to that sort of class/game design. I'm aware some people hate it, but that's the version/type of the game that I like the best. Different strokes for different folks.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    As to why I feel TBC was the best version of shadow, it essentially boils down to how valued I felt in a group setting. People begged me to join their group, and they talked about how great it was to have a shadowpriest with them. Those were the most fun times for me, when I joined a group and everyone seemed grateful to have me.
    Exactly that!
    Shadow priest as mana battery for the group, with an exact ratio of damage to mana was the most fun idea for the spec anyone at Blizzard ever came up with.
    BC fights were long, upwards of 20 minutes. On Illidan we had 1 group with 2 shadows and those who went oom were switched to that group for a while. Fun and mana for everyone involved. Was it overpowered and essential for raiding? Absolutely! Was it a problem? I don't think so. We were used to having certain specs/classes as requirement and this rule still applies even today after all the "balancing", so I feel like we only lost something and gained nothing in return.

With WOTLK the whole paradigm switched to, bring the player not the class and they merged everything into garbage buffs that were the same. I stopped playing SP before Wotlk and was on my druid till Pandaria were I tried SP again, but mained my rogue because SP was just a shitty mage with worse healing than other DPS specs. SP had lost all meaning by then and it gained nothing cool from BC till Draenor.
    But don't get me started on Surrender to madness, which was a fun time again but got butchered, by Mr. "no fun allowed".

Mind Spike is such an uninspired spell and it even made Mind Blast worse because of it.
    Mind Sear was an answer to every class crying for burst AoE and Blizz caving in. In classic and BC only a few classes got that privilege.
    Dispersion was an answer to the heavy burst damage that got introduced in Wotlk. Shadowpriest was supposed to be tanky but lost that from classic to Wotlk. Shadowpriests, especially with support CC in PvP were hard to kill.