Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by krl View Post
    Discussion still happens like in EJs days but now it's on streams and specs Discords. The days of blogs and forums are long gone.
    One thing that's kinda sad to me is wowhead. Look up any good item from classic and you'll see there's tons of comments. Players comparing the looks and stats, saying this thing is an upgrade over this thing from an earlier tier. It has their stats compared to this alternative from the same or a same tier raid comparisons for which one is best for which classes in which circumstances. You don't see any of that anymore.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

  2. #102
    Those who are stuck in the past cannot succeed in the present

  3. #103
    The Patient marathal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkli83 View Post
    Those who are stuck in the past cannot succeed in the present
    Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat the same mistakes

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymemer View Post
    Shadow doesnt exist in Classic PvE.
    It does on classic tbc.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    It does on classic tbc.
    Thanks slowpoke.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Void form killed shadow for me, and thus ultimately killed the game.
    I really don't like void form either. I think the most fun I've had with shadow was the deathwing raid. While the raid itself was trash, the 4 piece burst gave me on demand spike->spike-> blast was fun and made us viable on fights like spine, which had those required burst windows. Mists was fun for me too.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by marathal View Post
    Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat the same mistakes
    Lessons from the past may not always ward off doom, but they can provide insights into the present and even the future. Though they may provide insight, they still may cause hinderance for progression towards the future. Longing for the past (something you can't reclaim) can fuel dissatisfaction with the present.

  8. #108
    Well you always can create your own post for Shadow Priest and discuse here

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsinger View Post
    With that school's marching band playing.


    Those of you who remember what an elementary school band sounds like...I'm sorry.

    - - - Updated - - -



    To be fair they might still be on; the friends list is hella broken. Mine doesn't show non-BNet friends at all, but does insist two of my own alts are logged in for some reason.

    Another factor that makes it difficult to come back I imagine is that nobody talks to each other anymore. I don't know if that's just "how these players are" now or what, but it's the same in almost every zone in Retail.
    Bit of a necro, but I haven't checked these forums in ages.

    I did find a community of gamers on Discord recently, about a game that I really enjoyed for a week or two. I tried joining in on the discussion in Discord, but it is not compatible with long-form thoughts and discussion at all. If you type what feels like even a moderate sized "post", on the discord channel it looks like you are "flooding" the channel with text, which everyone then ignores at best or gets annoyed at worst...

    I do "peruse" the priest discord every now and then, but I only see one person on there who I used to know, and I tried messaging them a while back and got no response. I've tried reading a few of the channels, but I can't really follow a coherent thread of discussion in any of them. A lot of off-topic chatter or one-off questions about items.

    It all has a bit of a "youtube comments" vibe to it. Make your point in 100 characters or less, and leave.

    I'm raising 3 children now, and as one does, I have been watching an analyzing the differences in their childhoods and mine, and how that might lead to discussion forums "dying" as they have in my lifetime. The biggest thing that I see is that for the most part everything in their life seems to be very "on demand", and very "pick up and throw away". I remember geting 2-3 video games for an entire year when i was a kid, and just playing the hell out of them... in truth I think I may have played 15-20 games total throughout my entire childhood. But between the Apple store and free demo games and cheap $2-3 games on the game stores, my kids in a year or two have access to more games than I had my entire life. In addition to this, for the most part they don't have to watch commercials anymore, on anything. So if we do watch "normal TV", as soon as a commercial comes on, they get sincerely "angry" at them. Normal TV gets turned off immediately...

    With Youtube and other streaming options, the need to read, even to do something like Cooking, is largely un-necessary. There's how to videos on almost everything, and there's a show, cartoon, or movie in almost every genre that's as good as almost any book or comic book you could find. In general, books/comics just don't have anything to offer anymore that you can't get constantly from some sort of visual media.

    When I think back to my childhood and young adulthood, making a transition to a "reader" was this big, life-changing revelation. For me it was Tolkien's The Hobbit. It was the first book that I read, which made me realise how amazing reading could be. I went from that straight into the Lord of the Rings, and read all 4 of those books within a couple of months. After that I read everything I could find that was in the fantasy genre, for 5-6 years.

    During college, I had another "Epiphany" moment when the Internet was becoming a thing, and I had all of these hobbies that I loved, but I had no one to share them with. E-mail chat groups, and online forums were the first time in my life where I could find people who loved video games and fantasy literature like me. I finally found a space where I could connect with people and "share" my love of various nerd hobbies.

    These days however... you don't need to discover the magic of reading to find amazing fantasy stories and movies. And you don't need to learn to write and type in order to find groups of friends who love the same things you do. That whole journey of discovery just doesn't exist anymore, at least, not in the form that it did for me.

    I'm watching my kids grow up, and they certain have found games and movies and things that inspire them and "blow their minds", but then they go to YouTube (or discord in some cases), and they immediately "burn" through their passion in a few minutes, without being forced to "engage" in the ways that my generation had to. I think once you become an adult, and have a lifetime of this... at a certain point you just pass a point of no return. You've passed that age in life where you could learn to read or type for hours just to get a few thoughts out or absorb a new story. I think that people still read and "consume" and share their love of hobbies just as much as I did, but I just think they do it in different ways now. It's never "coming back" because if anything newer generations will work even harder to avoid the tediousness than the generation before them.

    I'm reminded in some ways of the movie "idiocracy". It feels like we're sort of slowly marching towards that sort of future, but it will be even more weird and strange than we imagine.....

    Edit: Damn I'm rusty... I just read back over this and marveled at the typos and grammar errors. What a mess.
    Last edited by Kilee25; 2022-06-27 at 06:03 AM.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

    DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

  10. #110
    The Patient marathal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    Bit of a necro, but I haven't checked these forums in ages.

    I did find a community of gamers on Discord recently, about a game that I really enjoyed for a week or two. I tried joining in on the discussion in Discord, but it is not compatible with long-form thoughts and discussion at all. If you type what feels like even a moderate sized "post", on the discord channel it looks like you are "flooding" the channel with text, which everyone then ignores at best or gets annoyed at worst...

    I do "peruse" the priest discord every now and then, but I only see one person on there who I used to know, and I tried messaging them a while back and got no response. I've tried reading a few of the channels, but I can't really follow a coherent thread of discussion in any of them. A lot of off-topic chatter or one-off questions about items.

    It all has a bit of a "youtube comments" vibe to it. Make your point in 100 characters or less, and leave.

    I'm raising 3 children now, and as one does, I have been watching an analyzing the differences in their childhoods and mine, and how that might lead to discussion forums "dying" as they have in my lifetime. The biggest thing that I see is that for the most part everything in their life seems to be very "on demand", and very "pick up and throw away". I remember geting 2-3 video games for an entire year when i was a kid, and just playing the hell out of them... in truth I think I may have played 15-20 games total throughout my entire childhood. But between the Apple store and free demo games and cheap $2-3 games on the game stores, my kids in a year or two have access to more games than I had my entire life. In addition to this, for the most part they don't have to watch commercials anymore, on anything. So if we do watch "normal TV", as soon as a commercial comes on, they get sincerely "angry" at them. Normal TV gets turned off immediately...

    With Youtube and other streaming options, the need to read, even to do something like Cooking, is largely un-necessary. There's how to videos on almost everything, and there's a show, cartoon, or movie in almost every genre that's as good as almost any book or comic book you could find. In general, books/comics just don't have anything to offer anymore that you can't get constantly from some sort of visual media.

    When I think back to my childhood and young adulthood, making a transition to a "reader" was this big, life-changing revelation. For me it was Tolkien's The Hobbit. It was the first book that I read, which made me realise how amazing reading could be. I went from that straight into the Lord of the Rings, and read all 4 of those books within a couple of months. After that I read everything I could find that was in the fantasy genre, for 5-6 years.

    During college, I had another "Epiphany" moment when the Internet was becoming a thing, and I had all of these hobbies that I loved, but I had no one to share them with. E-mail chat groups, and online forums were the first time in my life where I could find people who loved video games and fantasy literature like me. I finally found a space where I could connect with people and "share" my love of various nerd hobbies.

    These days however... you don't need to discover the magic of reading to find amazing fantasy stories and movies. And you don't need to learn to write and type in order to find groups of friends who love the same things you do. That whole journey of discovery just doesn't exist anymore, at least, not in the form that it did for me.

    I'm watching my kids grow up, and they certain have found games and movies and things that inspire them and "blow their minds", but then they go to YouTube (or discord in some cases), and they immediately "burn" through their passion in a few minutes, without being forced to "engage" in the ways that my generation had to. I think once you become an adult, and have a lifetime of this... at a certain point you just pass a point of no return. You've passed that age in life where you could learn to read or type for hours just to get a few thoughts out or absorb a new story. I think that people still read and "consume" and share their love of hobbies just as much as I did, but I just think they do it in different ways now. It's never "coming back" because if anything newer generations will work even harder to avoid the tediousness than the generation before them.

    I'm reminded in some ways of the movie "idiocracy". It feels like we're sort of slowly marching towards that sort of future, but it will be even more weird and strange than we imagine.....

    Edit: Damn I'm rusty... I just read back over this and marveled at the typos and grammar errors. What a mess.
    I have to agree with you sir. It's the same with the blogging community, people are slowly just walking away from the long form to express thoughts or ideas. Story telling has been replaced with give me a 2 minute cinematic, and as far as dialog? Skip, skip, skip, quest accepted. Maybe that is part of the downfall of WoW, they have over a decade of story, but those that wanted to read it, did so years ago, and the newer generations want faster, instant gratification, or they are bored and walk away. I can't imagine a game like Zork making it off the ground today, but in it's day it was all about the story and interacting with it.

    One thing that hit me the other day was the announcement of Classic Wrath beta, and that ole nostalgia bug hit. Wrath was where I started, and where I scoured forums and blog sites for information, and our old site SP dot com. And part of me still looks back on that opportunity I was given, to buy it outright from ZiZero, or they offered me admin privilege to continue to run it, and they would collect the add revenue. Part of me wishes I did not make the choice I did, especially after how everything went down. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. But I think to myself, all of that fantastic information, all gone now, thousands of discussions about builds, and values of certain stats, and I think back about how helpful everyone was. It was certainly a good time, and I am glad that I had an opportunity to be a part of it.

    Anyway, hope the family is doing well, I'm starring down the big 60 at the end of the year, and I have certainly changed in the time I am willing to commit to playing games now. I guess we all get older, and priorities change.
    Last edited by marathal; 2022-06-27 at 06:25 PM.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by marathal View Post
    Anyway, hope the family is doing well, I'm starring down the big 60 at the end of the year, and I have certainly changed in the time I am willing to commit to playing games now. I guess we all get older, and priorities change.
    Congratulations!

    I'm just a kid compared to 60, but I feel it too - the sense that everyone I knew is gone now, and the folks who are here now aren't interested in anyone or anything that isn't feeding their need for achievement and right now. You can go a looooooong time without hearing anything at all in [general].

    Guess the good news is that sightseeing and exploration is still an option; I've found myself taking very relaxing strolls through some dangerous places recently just as a form of stress relief. Turns out the ceilings in some of those places are AMAZING.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •