Thread: A new job~

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question A new job~

Hello fellow geeks and geekettes(Yes okay, I'll show myself out)

TL;DR at the end.

For years, I've been struggling to make ends meet, and while backed up against the walls, one starts to do various of things that's less than respectable in today's society. Well, still legal, but frowned upon. As an example, I wrote sexual backstories for characters in a forum-game... Things has been so tight that I taught myself photoshop last year just before xmas to make a few bucks in commissions so I could get my closest ones a gift.

I by all means don't got any expensive lifestyle, but due to a rough past, I have some loans I need to pay off. I work a normal 8-16(4pm) office job and have a rather high work morale given being pushed into a tight corner given the financial situation. "If I work really hard, I will manage to survive" has been my motto, but as of late it has been turning out to be less and less true due to my dead-end job pushing numbers around.

So my question to my dear readers - what are your tips for making some extra on the side? What are you doing? Is it something everyone can do?
    I'm really looking for something I can do from home during the afternoons/evenings. Anything that can land me an extra 1000USD/800EUR is highly appreciated.

TL;DR
    OP needs cash infusion - curious what you guys do for extra income and if its something he can do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    Hello fellow geeks and geekettes(Yes okay, I'll show myself out)

TL;DR at the end.

For years, I've been struggling to make ends meet, and while backed up against the walls, one starts to do various of things that's less than respectable in today's society. Well, still legal, but frowned upon. As an example, I wrote sexual backstories for characters in a forum-game... Things has been so tight that I taught myself photoshop last year just before xmas to make a few bucks in commissions so I could get my closest ones a gift.

I by all means don't got any expensive lifestyle, but due to a rough past, I have some loans I need to pay off. I work a normal 8-16(4pm) office job and have a rather high work morale given being pushed into a tight corner given the financial situation. "If I work really hard, I will manage to survive" has been my motto, but as of late it has been turning out to be less and less true due to my dead-end job pushing numbers around.

So my question to my dear readers - what are your tips for making some extra on the side? What are you doing? Is it something everyone can do?
    I'm really looking for something I can do from home during the afternoons/evenings. Anything that can land me an extra 1000USD/800EUR is highly appreciated.

TL;DR
    OP needs cash infusion - curious what you guys do for extra income and if its something he can do as well.
    In general I don't think people get 'extra income', jobs are usually sufficient unless you live in some shithole country.
    I haven't done them myself, but there was a medical trial I almost took up, it was like 2000GBP or so for a 6 weeks of testing a flu vaccine. I've written code for people at uni which is incredibly easy money, normies think this shit is hard lul.

There's also a lot of tutoring jobs around (in the UK, I live in a university city) if you're experienced in any academic field, people pay out the ass for maths tutoring which until undergrad level is fuckin' easy. Useful hobbies are also a good shout, since I know how to build PCs and oftentimes it's cheaper to buy parts than a pre-built, I can earn some money from people who cba to do it themselves.

There's also semi-shady internet activities to consider, my sister earnt a butt-load of money just levelling characters on WoW for other people, or doing their tedious daily/weekly activities, though again it's not good pay-per-hour but if you tunnel that shit for 10hrs a day, dollar racks up and it's not a particularly demanding series of tasks.

Have you tried inheriting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Have you tried inheriting?
    There's coffee on my keyboard now, you should really consider others before making me laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    I've written code for people at uni which is incredibly easy money, normies think this shit is hard lul.
    What kind of language did you write it in? I'm trying to teach myself Python through online courses etc to be able to do some work there and hopefully build a career out of it or something(I aspire to become a game developer), but curious as of which language is the most sought after at the moment.

That past must be very rough if normal office job is not enough to pull you from debts. Or your lifestyle is more lavish than it seems. Have you ran the numbers of your monthly spending?

What kind of language did you write it in? I'm trying to teach myself Python through online courses etc to be able to do some work there and hopefully build a career out of it or something(I aspire to become a game developer), but curious as of which language is the most sought after at the moment.
    Python is the jack of all trades, for me, at least. I learned Pascal first but it's fucking trash lol. There's a few things I move to other languages for (OOP -> No GUI? C++, GUI? Java. Stats/plotting, but no real problem solving? R) but yeah, 98% of all my code is python.

If the courses are free, that's fine, but trust me when I say you don't need to pay a penny to learn any computer-based skill, the internet is full of free shit to help you along the way. Admittedly I can't direct too well in that regard though, I had a degree to use for learning, I just solved all my problems using Python and eventually became pretty adept (stackoverflow is literally the best thing).

If you wanna go down the games route I'd consider doing some googling, I'm currently learning C# in a 2D game-dev setting using Unity, but honestly it was just a popularity thing, I'm not certain if C# is industry standard or not. That said, once you're adept in one language, learning a second or third is just a matter of syntax and the quirks that you find through time investment. Python is a very good place to start for a newbie.

All my work/programming is academic/data science stuff, so I guess grain of salt on my statements outside that setting.

15+ Year Old Account
    A pair of tits would be the answer to your problem.

Otherwise, coding - or graphics if you are talented with that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I can agree that job is usually sufficient but I have to say that I wouldn't mind getting like 200-300 euros on the side. It would definitely help to be closer with family in other country.
    Yeah for sure, but how would you do it? How much of a time investment would it be? Would you also be able to have time to yourself outside of a job and earning that side-income? I guess I just mean that it would be difficult, and that flexibility you'd need would cause a drop in potential earnings etc. etc.

I'd love to hardcore monetize some of my hobbies but if I did I'd have no time for my SO or mindless video game time, and further I'd probably net a drop in quality of life because who the fuck has time for a job, a side job and also looking after yourself. I'm barely able to find gym time during the week and that's even on days I buy take-out because I'm a lazy fuck which further increases my need to go to the gym.

Maybe I'm just salty 'cause I couldn't manage it, who knows?

10+ Year Old Account
    AeneasBK - ...what? :P Haha, I got a golden coffee-cake knife from my grandmother... That's all she left me, so I want to keep that.
    Aedrielle - I have made cuts where I can make cuts. I cancelled my TV-subscription last week and I'm currently wondering if I actually *need* my phone and instead go all internet-phone.
    Kharadin - All of that sounds really exciting! Some things, I need to work extra hard to learn(some parts of math), but other things I can breeze through. Python so far has been quite the mix, I've never experienced anything like it.

Puupi - Funny story, there's a part of my past where a guy online though I was a chick for some reason and wanted to see my boobs. Being resourceful as I was, I googled a pair of tits and said I'd show him if he gave me cash on paypal. ....easiest 20 bucks I've ever made.(I'm not exactly looking to get into this as a "trade" for extra income :P)

OneWay - Not sure what I can tell you - the pay is really low for the amount of work I do. Norway is not exactly cheap either, so I'm scraping at the end of every month.

I've been looking and googling about jobs to do from home online, but I'd love some feedback if people have any jobs like this they can tell me about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Yeah for sure, but how would you do it? How much of a time investment would it be? Would you also be able to have time to yourself outside of a job and earning that side-income? I guess I just mean that it would be difficult, and that flexibility you'd need would cause a drop in potential earnings etc. etc.

I'd love to hardcore monetize some of my hobbies but if I did I'd have no time for my SO or mindless video game time, and further I'd probably net a drop in quality of life because who the fuck has time for a job, a side job and also looking after yourself. I'm barely able to find gym time during the week and that's even on days I buy take-out because I'm a lazy fuck which further increases my need to go to the gym.

Maybe I'm just salty 'cause I couldn't manage it, who knows?
    I hear you there.
    "Fortunately" I'm a single guy living alone with 6-8 hours of sparetime every evening and all of the weekend. Itching to put it into use due to my morale... I mean, I'm the kind of guy at the office going "Oh, is the workday over already?" and there has been plenty of times my boss has come over and gone "Hey, go home. You're not being paid to be here anymore". :/ I can't help but getting this feeling my potential is being wasted at a place like this, you know..

AeneasBK - ...what? :P Haha, I got a golden coffee-cake knife from my grandmother... That's all she left me, so I want to keep that.
    Aedrielle - I have made cuts where I can make cuts. I cancelled my TV-subscription last week and I'm currently wondering if I actually *need* my phone and instead go all internet-phone.
    Kharadin - All of that sounds really exciting! Some things, I need to work extra hard to learn(some parts of math), but other things I can breeze through. Python so far has been quite the mix, I've never experienced anything like it.

Puupi - Funny story, there's a part of my past where a guy online though I was a chick for some reason and wanted to see my boobs. Being resourceful as I was, I googled a pair of tits and said I'd show him if he gave me cash on paypal. ....easiest 20 bucks I've ever made.(I'm not exactly looking to get into this as a "trade" for extra income :P)

OneWay - Not sure what I can tell you - the pay is really low for the amount of work I do. Norway is not exactly cheap either, so I'm scraping at the end of every month.

I've been looking and googling about jobs to do from home online, but I'd love some feedback if people have any jobs like this they can tell me about

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you there.
    "Fortunately" I'm a single guy living alone with 6-8 hours of sparetime every evening and all of the weekend. Itching to put it into use due to my morale... I mean, I'm the kind of guy at the office going "Oh, is the workday over already?" and there has been plenty of times my boss has come over and gone "Hey, go home. You're not being paid to be here anymore". :/ I can't help but getting this feeling my potential is being wasted at a place like this, you know..
    So you live in Norway?
    Why not go Troll hunting?

Villages would probably pay you nicely for every head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    So you live in Norway?
    Why not go Troll hunting?

Villages would probably pay you nicely for every head.
    I need a silver sword to go monster hunting. Do you know how expensive those are??

I hear you there.
    Was just checking, as there are plenty of people who believe to live frugally and unable to make ends meet, but never run their own spending numbers to realize they blow 400 a month on all sorts of entertainment. Sounds like you don't have that problem. Sadly, because it would have been rather simple to fix.

Might I suggest trying to hunt for another job that gives longer work hours, and possibly overtime? Since by the sound of it you wish for more work hours to do. And I don't mean second job, I mean swap to another job alltogether. Try construction perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you there.
    If you want to go into games, maths is a great (probably required) foundation. Whether it's code development/animation, whatever, being able to mathematically understand and manipulate geometry is a huge boon. On top of that, some maths will always improve your ability to code, any problem you can represent algebraically is a problem you can either solve or potentially even find a shortcut for. Work smart, don't work hard.

But honestly, I worked a crappy job for a few years and felt wasted, while it wasn't an immediate financial gain that's why I decided to fuck off to university to do physics, even in the first few years of undergrad I got oppurtunities to teach (~15GBP/hr, nearly 2kGBP to teach in the summer school) and program (which is what lead me to finding some people who needed help, and offered to pay for some of my own code). And that's put me in the position I'm in now where I've always got opportunities to tutor for fantastic money. I'm also toying with entering the games industry, phd money is a bit crap but the end result will be nice.

I suppose opportunity value is what I'm trying to get at, there might be some changes you could make to open up avenues of extra income. Side projects at work? Possible networking opportunities? Knowing people is a great way to find new/better jobs. Depending on the position at work, you can possibly leverage pay rises. My friend has been working for a start up for a little while and recently became the only IT nerd who knows the systems the entire company relies on, he then 'accidently' made them aware he was looking at other jobs. Motherfucker went from just over 20k/year to nearly 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    Was just checking, as there are plenty of people who believe to live frugally and unable to make ends meet, but never run their own spending numbers to realize they blow 400 a month on all sorts of entertainment. Sounds like you don't have that problem. Sadly, because it would have been rather simple to fix.

Might I suggest trying to hunt for another job that gives longer work hours, and possibly overtime? Since by the sound of it you wish for more work hours to do. And I don't mean second job, I mean swap to another job alltogether. Try construction perhaps.
    I've crunched the numbers several times. I mean, I haven't bought clothes for several months because I need to afford the rent and keep my car running to get to work. I've thought about switching to using the train, but that involves me getting to work either 1.5 hours before it starts, or having to wait 1.5 hours after every day to get home. Also resulting in 45 extra minutes in travelling time.

Thing about living in Norway is that we have quite the distances depending on where you live. I live in a place where most of the local workplaces are exhausted as in not hiring, and getting a new job is quite tricky living in such a remote place.
    I take all the overtime I can get, but since I am so eager with my job, I there's rarely any. Slacking off at work to create overtime is not an option either as my top performance is now expected of me. (Tad bit why I am studying in my sparetime for now - to get away from all of this)
    I really appreciate your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post

This is a good idea, but don't be too frugal. Cutting TV is chill because you can download any shit you want these days, but if you're reducing your amenities to a point where you're often bored, or annoyed you can't do/watch/play some particular media, or you get upset because you haven't had a beautiful stuffed crust pizza for NEARLY A MONTH, this can be bad. (Joking aside now) Getting all depressed and feeling shitty all the time will not make life good, no matter the money it is saving. But I guess that's dependent on the mental health/fortitude and the risk/reward, and also the timescale over which such cuts to daily life occur.

I need a silver sword to go monster hunting. Do you know how expensive those are??
    Ok, for real now - Depending on how old you are, and how willing you are to get your hands dirty; since it's summer, you could do odd jobs on the weekends around where you live, like mowing lawns, gardening, seasonal work like picking fruit, etc...
    It's something you can do right away, no previous knowledge required. You might even get a tan .

On evenings or when cold autumn rolls in, you can focus on coding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Ok, for real now - Depending on how old you are, and how willing you are to get your hands dirty; since it's summer, you could do odd jobs on the weekends around where you live, like mowing lawns, gardening, seasonal work like picking fruit, etc...
    It's something you can do right away, no previous knowledge required. You might even get a tan .

On evenings or when cold autumn rolls in, you can focus on coding.
    I'm using the national "trade-site"(example: USA got Craig's List) to spot jobs near me to do exactly that. The biggest issue with it at the moment is that there's very few near me that offers small jobs like raking leaves, mowing lawns etc, and if there's a job near me, then it's like "Put new pavement in my drivethrough"-style. ...I neither have the knowledge or tools for that. :P

But yeah... That's my current go-to place right now to earn a buck or two if there's anything I am eligible for there. I mean, I got great recommendations on my profile there, but the sparse amount of qualified jobs near me is to cry of

check for a local warehouse or store that does night time stocking and see if you can pick up a few shifts. If you have a masters or better degree check with the local tech/univ for part time teaching, esp in the summer. If good enough you can even offer tutoring 1 on 1 for good money. If that fails try the old school cutting grass/yard work for people on the weekends. take 100% of the extra money to your debts. If you get a raise at work 100% of it to debts.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Had I gotten a Master's degree or anything like it, I wouldn't be at this dead-end job :P I'm an unlicensed chef and unlicensed electronicproductioneer(is that even a word. I basically know how to make your circuit boards and solder well.) who's basically scraping what I can together so I can continue my life and career. Due to events in life, I was unable to get the license to both. I've dreamt about going back to get them, but it would help me little as the passion isn't really *there* to get them since my final goal is elsewhere unachieved by them.

I mainly hope to find suggestions/recommendations and feedback on things I can do from home as I'm usually physically too tired after a long day at the office, but can't help but feel restless at home in my mind and fingers as I desire to do *more*.

I love the feedbacks, everyone - please do throw more at me!