Question Struggling to get back into the game, (let's start a class discussion)

So I am a returning player, I used to play at a high level with multiple cutting edge achievements, I participated in these throughout the years in all roles of a guild structure from trial to GM. I also played many different classes, my first "cutting edge" kill was Lich King in WotLK as a healing Priest, went on to conquer most of the Cata content as a Frost DK/Rogue, Pandaria was rather chill, WoD I played a Mage for most of it and Legion I went from Druid, to Rogue to tank DK.

A problem I am having at the moment is I can't find what I enjoy and identify with. I was always a fan of being able to be "useful" in all content and took more pride in managing the odd jobs of a fight (interrupting, soaking, carrying orbs, self healing, gripping etc.) prioritizing utility and focusing on DPS after that (which is obviously also important when pushing content). In BfA I can't seem to find a class that kinda "does it all" from a PVE perspective. Rogues are great, but something feels a bit lacking. I tried Demonhunter and the DPS is fun, a bit simplistic maybe, but I quite like it. I'm also considering DK because blood DK's always seem strong, only Frost/Unholy seem a little behind at the moment.

I think the solution might just be to pick a class and stick to it, as I have been inconsistent over the years. So I am reaching out here, what is the best "general use" class that can do it all. Not necessarily do it all the best, but at least compete in the top quarter of performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    *wets finger and puts it in the air*

You enjoy feral druid.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Haha, I get it :P
    I do appreciate it, but no I wasn't directly asking the generic question "what would I enjoy", though it may seem that way. Rather, I laid out a few things about myself and asked the question, which class is the best generalist it may have been better to make it a short post, but I tend to overexplain and be annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerowyn View Post
    So I am a returning player, I used to play at a high level with multiple cutting edge achievements, I participated in these throughout the years in all roles of a guild structure from trial to GM. I also played many different classes, my first "cutting edge" kill was Lich King in WotLK as a healing Priest, went on to conquer most of the Cata content as a Frost DK/Rogue, Pandaria was rather chill, WoD I played a Mage for most of it and Legion I went from Druid, to Rogue to tank DK.

A problem I am having at the moment is I can't find what I enjoy and identify with. I was always a fan of being able to be "useful" in all content and took more pride in managing the odd jobs of a fight (interrupting, soaking, carrying orbs, self healing, gripping etc.) prioritizing utility and focusing on DPS after that (which is obviously also important when pushing content). In BfA I can't seem to find a class that kinda "does it all" from a PVE perspective. Rogues are great, but something feels a bit lacking. I tried Demonhunter and the DPS is fun, a bit simplistic maybe, but I quite like it. I'm also considering DK because blood DK's always seem strong, only Frost/Unholy seem a little behind at the moment.

I think the solution might just be to pick a class and stick to it, as I have been inconsistent over the years. So I am reaching out here, what is the best "general use" class that can do it all. Not necessarily do it all the best, but at least compete in the top quarter of performance.

I don’t generally reply to “choose my class” threads. But I will offer an opinion.

You seem to enjoy melee more, so that’s a must. You also seem to enjoy tanking as well.

Why not go druid and build it like 4 separate characters in one?

You can tank. They aren’t always stupid strong, but the option is there; even if it’s just M+.
    Druid healers are almost always solid choices, meta in most cases.
    One of the dps specs are generally in the upper third, depending on fights.

I took mine leatherworker and alchemist. This way I get drums for lust.

You have a battle Rez.
    You don’t have mass stealth, but you can stealth ahead quite a bit and have the group do a death run to skip large swaths of trash.
    Hots tend to deal well with most affixes.
    You have rediculous mobility.
    Interupt, aoe snare (vortex), aoe knockback, and individual root... all very useful cc’s.
    You save money from transmogging, cause you spend most time in forms.
    You aren’t really locked down during cast times from healing or even dpsing.
    All specs get a stealth to skip content when you don’t wish to bother with it.
    Instant flight form cast, even when falling.
    Great for farming period. You can’t really get snared by mobs when you swap forms.

Played well (I am certainly not the best out there), you can easily heal higher keys while tossing out dps without getting involved in mechanics because again, you aren’t really tied down to turret casting.

Choosing the right race also gets you faster farming of herbs, and an additional aoe stun/interupt.

Just my thoughts. You can spend a great deal of time fleshing our each spec, and you have all roles open to you (albeit with cielings higher or lower on your spec choice).

Hope this helps.

Thanks man, it was indeed very insightful and pretty much what I was looking for.
    You laid out a lot of things that I do look for in my play and you're right it is interesting. I will take your advice and give it a shot. Thanks again.

These threads are against the rules and they get closed because they are not productive. Random people on the internet aren't going to have a productive conversation to pick the 'right' class to you. If you want more info about different classes there are plenty of resources out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerowyn View Post
    Thanks man, it was indeed very insightful and pretty much what I was looking for.
    You laid out a lot of things that I do look for in my play and you're right it is interesting. I will take your advice and give it a shot. Thanks again.
    Anytime, I hope it was helpful. May you enjoy the experience.

My suggestion, while leveling in BFA, go skinning herb. You don’t need health pots and by the time you dong 120 you should have a real solid stockpile of herbs and leather to get the best benefits once you ding and swap proofs.
    Last edited by Jikate-Stormrage; 2019-06-12 at 05:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Help me choose" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Please check online resources and/or the class-specific subforums if you have further questions. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead