Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

WC3 flashback: Were the night elves ever truly xenophobic then?

Players can sometimes be seen remarking, "bring back the proud "xenophobic" night elves from Wc3". While elements of them may have been, long standing player perceptions I keep realising dont always hit the mark for this race.

Blizzard werent lying that they are "enigmatic", and in another topic, I challenged another common one, the misconception that night elves don't do arcane, nor have anything to do with the arcane in their culture. That night elves also hated the arcane. We could show from the lore, that arcane practicing was banned, but the arcane was very much still a part of them. Furthermore, they didn't hate arcane users, just their own highborne caste that abused the arcane from addiction and hated their arrogant and callous attitude - (not every arcane user Moonguard, nor even every highborne). We also showed that arcane practice was banned to prevent the Burning Legion demons returning, not out of hate. And today, while the society doesn't have an arcane culture, the arcane is still a part of it, and they have a reformed highborne order and society within which a reformed arcane culture exists - closer to the original arcane wielding culture in the pre-sundering era before addiction took place.

For more on this, see this topic.
    A Discourse on Night Elf Arcana and Their Highborne Group

Xenophobia in Night Elves of the Long Vigil.
    Today, a summary of the night elf history posted in another topic really challenged the notion that the night elves are or were xenophobic during the Long vigil. While they became xenophobic around the time of the invasion of the Legion, the long vigil culture restored the original benevolent kaldorei character which while not mutually exclusive, is at odds with a truly xenophobic mindset. However the task of the long vigil necessitated isolationism and a rather hostile approach to outsiders, the can be interpreted as xenophobia or of fostering xenophobia. But given the task at hand is this truly thr case

Here is the summary
    During the Long Vigil, Hyjal downwards was where most of the population resided - without cities during that era, they would be spread out. They moved to Hyjal to escape the collapsing lands the sundering caused, and based there. It was there Illidan re created the Well of Eternity and Alexztrasza grew the world tree Nordrassil, which Cenarius linked the night elves to and 3 of the Dragon Aspects blessed it enhancing the night elves. There would have their highest concentration

From there, nearby Moonglade became the Order of Elunes centre, nothing extravagant or populous built, the night elves banning arcane magic meant they couldnt rebuild their fallen cities, and their committment to the Long vigil in isolation made the need for a regular civilization like they had unviable.

The druids kept to themselves and the wilds doing their work with the green dragon flight in the emerald dream and the waking world wilds, whereas the priesthood developed the Sentinel and Warden orders to execute the watch against demonic satyr activity and the world threatening use of arcane magic (to the night elves during the era, using arcane magic, their magic, was a threat to the world as it was believed doing so would draw the Legions demons back, so it was banned on penalty of death and all the things they use to employ the arcane for like building cities, amenities etc could not be done. However the arcane was still a part of them, they were surrounded and suffused by its energies and they used the waters to create moonwells to boost nature and the land, heal and cure impurities etc when blessed by the Goddesss as the arcane does enhance nature and is linked with the priesthood and the Goddess too in the night elves - so although arcane practice was banned, the arcane was still very much a part and parcel of their lives and society - and the Well was the most important site they guarded with their lives, as this was the only thing they also knew could be used to call the demons).

From Hyjal they were based, they weren't city civilizations during this era, the druid order had its business sleeping in the wilds thousands of years at a time in Barrow dens all overm the priests made Moonglade their head quarters in the village of night haven, and moved out from Moonglade in hunting parties. Think of mobile camps in constant patrols guarding the land, having stations in key locations all over to guard the forest (not because the forest was sacred and others werent permitted because of its sacredness - that is not the night elf story in warcraft), but because you start getting too close to the well of eternity (this is another area people miss, they think the night elves hated people and the forests were guarded because they worship the wilds, no, no, no, - druids were restoring the destroyed and corrupted forestry and lands from the first invasion, they do love the wilds, as most night elves do, but the reason for the fierce guarding was to stop people discovering the powerful Well of eternity, learning and drawing arcane power and calling the Legion again, like the night elves did. This was the motivation from the priests and sentinels...this is why their lands were no go..not cos they have super xenophobia or blood thirsty.

The druids went throughout the wilds, barrow dens in ashenvale, stonetalon mountain show their activity, dream portal in Feralas and Ashenvale. The night elven female sentinels and huntress would traveling in hunting packs, chasing demons (satyrs) or rogue mages and sweeping the borders as far south as Ashenvale to prevent any race from coming near the well. It is why the night elven sentinels were aggressive and shot on sight orcs and humans in wc3, no one was permitted past those borders, as the Well was a huge secret back then, and as we know, orcs carried demonic taint and alliance arcane users...it wasnt until it was clear the Legion was already here and the Well and world was in danger that forces had to be combined, and the return naturally marked the end of the long vigil.

So you see, they were up in Hyjal and Moonglade, their population wasnt large, but they took their work seriously. They lived simply, out of necessity in order to protect the world, putting aside all the incredible things they could use the arcane to accomplish and improve their lives. Using it during that era could bring the end of the world by drawing the Legion they had ni force to deal with again, and so they would live without its luxuries and benefits of its use they were highly advanced in, nature would meet their needs, the rest would be forfeit. Perfect fir druids, but a sacrifice for everyone else.

Darkshore was uninhabited, ashenvale largely the wilds, a few places spilling down from Hyjal to Moonglade to what became felwood during WC3 is where most things were, Ashenvale becomes populated when they move their capital to Teldrassil, leaving Hyjal and Moonglade to the druidsm because the new city has a a temple, the first in 10,000 years and priests prefer temples to the wilds. Druids do not, the wilds are their home, highborne and arcane night elves prefer cities...but all night elves have an affinity for the arcane, revere the wilds, and desire to live in harmony and peace. Their default nature is benevolent, intelligent and wise. Only in the addiction period did they move away from this core centre, but largely most of the highborne (not all) in particular those closest to the Queen. The Farondis were a zone of highborne in the highest centre of arcane learning and research across the empire they were a highborne group that did not fall to the addiction and hubris of those in the Queens court and were staging a coup to oust her and destroy the Well to drive back the demons..,they were betrayed,and their planned foiled, and in order to teach them a lesson, Queen Azshara destroyed them through a curse of immense power that out them in an un ending cycle of perpetual unliving.
    You see, I think many players assumed the night elves were xenophobic because they killed outsiders like the orcs and humans in wc3 - wrongly assuming they did this because they hate outsiders, or think themselves superior - and attitude prevalent during the invasion period just before the sundering, born of hubris and recklessness likely caused by addiction to the arcane, but post sundering changed their attitudes and taught humility, restoring their original character..so how can they be xenophobic?
    The arcane well of eternity was their top priority and the lore states to protect it, or anyone discovering it phsyically, they did not allow any sentient race crossing Ashenvale borders, for fear they would discover arcane magic from the Well and end up calling the Legion.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2019-06-10 at 07:11 PM.

I think there was certainly an ELEMENT of it at play.

But in the last Reign of Chaos mission we see Tyrande say to Jaina 'your plan is a bold one girl Perhaps I have misjudged you outlanders afterall' or something to that effect, showing her opening up her mind more to the outside.

Then you had people like Fandral that wanted to remain isolationist but I think the overall xenophobia of the night elves is something the players have played up more than the actual game, at least in WoW itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    oh my god, im in a nightmare looping or something, its rly need to be one goddamn elf topic every day?

And yes they were, but wow in general start to pull away those elements cause there is no much people who would like to play a race like this

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Xenophobic" is probably the wrong term for the Night Elves, especially in light of new information - but I think "aloof" and "territorial" both apply. The Night Elves seemed to have general knowledge of the cultures across the sea - not the specifics but at least the generalities, with an especial eye on their former brethren the High Elves in their new homeland. They also tolerated outsiders in their lands and were content to simply observe them (somewhat ominously) right up to the point they felt the invaders were in any way hostile. Getting close to Hyjal or the Moonglade would've probably triggered a strong rebuff, though - not an outright attack but close to it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/

"The reclusive Night Elves were the first race to awaken in the World of Warcraft. These shadowy, immortal beings were the first to study magic and let it loose throughout the world nearly ten thousand years before Warcraft I"

"The Night Elves closed themselves off from the rest of the world and remained hidden atop their holy mountain of Hyjal for many thousands of years. As a race, Night Elves are typically honorable and just, but they are very distrusting of the 'lesser races' of the world. They are nocturnal by nature and their shadowy powers often elicit the same distrust that they have for their mortal neighbors."

Tyrande say things like "you are not welcome here" to Thrall and Jaina : they clearly never wanted any other race in their land (that's the whole purpose of the Sentinels). The mission with Grom or the first mission of Night Elves in Wc3 are more evidences that the Night Elves didn't like strangers at all.
    Tyrande was only kind to the Blood Elves, their cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    I think there was certainly an ELEMENT of it at play.

But in the last Reign of Chaos mission we see Tyrande say to Jaina 'your plan is a bold one girl Perhaps I have misjudged you outlanders afterall' or something to that effect, showing her opening up her mind more to the outside.

Then you had people like Fandral that wanted to remain isolationist but I think the overall xenophobia of the night elves is something the players have played up more than the actual game, at least in WoW itself.
    I'm not sure Fandral was isolationist though, he was pioneering the night elves out of isolation to take their place guiding the inexperienced and oft foolish younger races by example,

Looking back at the WC3 night elves really makes me wonder why they would ever join the Alliance

Killing orcs and humans is always the right choice. A shame the night elves stopped doing it. They might still have a tree.

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Xenophobic was always the wrong word choice and never fit. "Territorial" is a lot more on point as they defend their lands but are not unreasonable see everyone who didn't come in swinging or with legion taint on them. Except Duke Lionsomething whats his name but he had a moustache and that's unforgivable anyways.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Killing orcs and humans is always the right choice. A shame the night elves stopped doing it. They might still have a tree.
    they stopped because they could not do it anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes they are, they were anti outsiders just for being outsiders, if anything Tyrande one line about change her opinion prove it even more
    this is like saying i'm not racist but i hate white ppl, that is the definition of racism
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

They didn't like outsiders. So they were xenophobic.
    Best case scenario, they were "I don't mind outsiders as long as they don't come in my land" kind of people. Wich is also xenophobic but hidden behind heavy nationalism.

I don't think they were xenophobic. They were more like isolationists. They don't hate other races. They just don't want outlanders in their our land.

"High Priestess, some random green person is chopping a tree"
    "Kill him and everyone else who's green"

a few missions later

"High Priestess, some green people and humans are chopping trees after we saw them fight the Legion"
    "Kill them and everyone else."

Yes, me thinks they weren't very patient with outsiders.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I think elves in general are very territorial and not fond of other races. Even the high elves and later the blood elves were not eager to mingle with others.
    That the night elves joined the alliance made sense in so far that they had the Horde in their front yard.
    But on the other hand, the night elves sacrificed their immortality for everyone... so I reckon they should even be more pissed towards anyone not a night elve.

Quote Originally Posted by eurojust View Post
    http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/

Tyrande say things like "you are not welcome here" to Thrall and Jaina : they clearly never wanted any other race in their land (that's the whole purpose of the Sentinels). The mission with Grom or the first mission of Night Elves in Wc3 are more evidences that the Night Elves didn't like strangers at all.
    Tyrande was only kind to the Blood Elves, their cousins.
    Yes, but when these things happen, there are often reasons for that given by the narrative. Either that or it is a racial defining trait.

In the case of the night elves, if you understand their history, the distrusting of outsiders makes sense. Hiding the well of eternity, preventing people from drawing close to stop them learning how to utilise the arcane forces you to be distrusting, and not make friends, you have to stay focused

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mermeoth View Post
    I don't think they were xenophobic. They were more like isolationists. They don't hate other races. They just don't want outlanders in their our land.
    Exactly, and for a very specific reason...the Well of Eternity..huge secret, demonic agents all about, cant risk anyone learning how to use the arcane, not worth trusting anyone...risk to high.
    @Tarba @sam86
    I don't think they hated outsiders, they just could not permit them...because of the Well and their task of hiding it..

I'm not sure it is the same as the nightborne who are how the kaldorei were in the invasion period just before the sundering, arrogant, thinking themselves far above everyone else, and outsiders not wirth defiling their precious lands with their savage and corruptible ways...sort like sanctity and rightness gotten twisted.

I think in the long vigil, the same outcome existed but for very different reasons.

There is also an element that they were really a cur above anyone else, who could relate to them in their level? The savage trolls? The primitive tauren? If the elves could be addicted by the arcane or duped by the demons, you can imagine even without arrogance, they would have thought or felt theither races didnt stand much of a chance, so keep me out of it, ansaldo makes them a bit lonely cos nine can really relate to them.

I feel this is more the sense of what they were about

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Looking back at the WC3 night elves really makes me wonder why they would ever join the Alliance
    Because the Plot Demands It! Why else does some of the incredibly stupid crap in the story happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Someone needs to take their crap to a blog but what else is new
    So don't read/answer if you don't like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Because the Plot Demands It! Why else does some of the incredibly stupid crap in the story happen?
    This is your daily reminder that it's 2019 and night elves still have no canonical sequence of events that have them join the Alliance. Carry on with your day.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Well if they were then, then they got pretty boring pretty quickly because by the time the Classic timeline rolled around, they were boring as shit devoid of any edge or personality traits, negative or otherwise.