Thread: New management!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    What's this about new management?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    On the slim chance that someone qualified to make such changes reads this thread, not everyone wants Gen-OT to go away. I'm a regular and I'm not alone at it. Granted, it could be made better.

And the guys not liking it can always just, like, not go there.
    It just needs some really dedicated people to crack down on rule-breakers. It's not a paid gig so it's hard to find people that can dedicate that kind of time and attention, as they've said before, but that's all it really needs. I remember when it was like that, a super-active group of mods all up in there warning and infracting and monitoring threads. That's all it needs. I wish I could do it again.

This isn't to throw shade at the current group. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and I know they do the best they're able.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    It just needs some really dedicated people to crack down on rule-breakers. It's not a paid gig so it's hard to find people that can dedicate that kind of time and attention, as they've said before, but that's all it really needs. I remember when it was like that, a super-active group of mods all up in there warning and infracting and monitoring threads. That's all it needs. I wish I could do it again.

This isn't to throw shade at the current group. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and I know they do the best they're able.
    it doesn't help that some of the more decent posters left after the 2016 election.....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    "Welcome to mmochampion, here you are FORCED to look at offtopic's politics section because you totes cannot remove it using the filters on the front page"

People who don't like off-topic, why don't you just not go there?

I don't like watching shitty reality shows on tv, know what I do? I change the channel.
    I could totally do that, but I don't want to, because the problem is in participation more than it is in topics.
    What I mean is that threads regarding WoW rarely go above 10-20 pages, while if someone says "Trump" or "government", that thread is gonna stick for 200+ pages.
    Simply put, people are using a video game forum for the wrong reasons. I don't want to simply ignore that because ignoring what I perceive as an issue is not going to resolve it. Granted, it's not like I'm boycotting stuff or doing anything weird, I am just voicing my concern.
    Imagine going to a Dark Souls forum and finding it filled to the brim with threads about Marvel and DC movies. You would be so out of there in two seconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...f-MMO-Champion

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post51300108

In short the site was at risk of being shut down. A group of people, including the original founder, bought it (and it sounds like a few others) from Fandom.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I hope chaud changes his mind about gen-OT. It's really the only real reason I keep coming back. The data mining on the front page is cool and the blue tracker is cool. But gen-ot keeps it fresh
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    Welcome, MagicFind. Hope you love us.

Do you plan any major changes to MMO-C?

If i could give an advice.. close the off topic or at least the political part. The former team was not really able to moderate that.
    I think you mean they were not able to moderate is correctly. I think you mean how there is hidden policies that no-one seems to know, but if a moderator infracts you the chance of it being removed is slim to none. I think you mean how there is seemingly a list of words that are used in everyday conversation by large segments of the population that you can be infracted for saying.

Yea, OT goes, huge revenue goes. Dare I say well more revenue than all the other forums attract.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Curse was closing a bunch of fansites. Curse found a new owner for them, Magic Find. Curse sold some/all of said sites that they were considering closing, to Magic Find.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Yea, OT goes, huge revenue goes. Dare I say well more revenue than all the other forums attract.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post51035452

As already pointed out an admin has stated that it drives little revenue.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I could totally do that, but I don't want to, because the problem is in participation more than it is in topics.
    What I mean is that threads regarding WoW rarely go above 10-20 pages, while if someone says "Trump" or "government", that thread is gonna stick for 200+ pages.
    Simply put, people are using a video game forum for the wrong reasons. I don't want to simply ignore that because ignoring what I perceive as an issue is not going to resolve it. Granted, it's not like I'm boycotting stuff or doing anything weird, I am just voicing my concern.
    Imagine going to a Dark Souls forum and finding it filled to the brim with threads about Marvel and DC movies. You would be so out of there in two seconds.
    You know, way back in the day when forums were hip and fresh, people did utilize them to talk about games or whatever niche the forum was centered around. However, there's only so much you can talk about when something is ~15 years old when said thing has "do X, Y and Z or your doing it sub-optimally".

Of course, OT, while bringing in nice revenue, is a cesspool from both sides, including moderators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magic Find owns the site then it’s their call. I think it’s wrong and rude to presume what they want. They pay the bills so whatever. Like Twitter Facebook YouTube whatever.

Personally in my opinion I’d ignore everyone like Blizzard should have done and start fresh with all new moderation and whatever rules the owner sees fit whatever that is.

If I agree great if not I can hit the road and make my own choice like everyone else.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I abhor that section of the forums and it really has no place in this sort of website.

I'd actually be glad if that goes.

That said, i wish all the best to everyone involved in MMO-C and hope it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I abhor that section of the forums and it really has no place in this sort of website.

I'd actually be glad if that goes.

That said, i wish all the best to everyone involved in MMO-C and hope it all works out.
    Not directed specifically at you, but for you and others who have this outlook, can you actually link to any other forum that doesn't have an "off-topic" section? It's there for exactly that, off-topic discussions of what the main site/forum is centered around.

However, it would be funny if they removed OT not just from all the political and social discussions that are on there but all of the megathreads, mafia threads and all sorts of other forum game type threads would disappear. Just like with classic WoW vs retail and how there will certainly be a chunk of people that come back just for classic. There is also a chunk of people that do visit (in turn bringing in revenue) just the OT forum.

I don't want to simply ignore that because ignoring what I perceive as an issue is not going to resolve it. Granted, it's not like I'm boycotting stuff or doing anything weird, I am just voicing my concern.

I don't think it's really that uncommon to have an offtopic forum on a message board dedicated to a single interest. I certainly don't see it as a problem or something to be concerned about.

- - - Updated - - -

Not directed specifically at you, but for you and others who have this outlook, can you actually link to any other forum that doesn't have an "off-topic" section? It's there for exactly that, off-topic discussions of what the main site/forum is centered around.

However, it would be funny if they removed OT not just from all the political and social discussions that are on there but all of the megathreads, mafia threads and all sorts of other forum game type threads would disappear. Just like with classic WoW vs retail and how there will certainly be a chunk of people that come back just for classic. There is also a chunk of people that do visit (in turn bringing in revenue) just the OT forum.
    It's kind of an everything board tbh. I stopped raiding after Mythic Ghuun, so I don't even play WoW atm (probs resub for Classic), but as I'm playing Path of Exile I can go to the Video Games board and talk about it. The new FF7 Remake news has a place here I can go talk about that. So it's got a lot going on. And I dunno what it is about MMOC, I just like posting here. Maybe because I've been a member for so long.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, way back in the day when forums were hip and fresh, people did utilize them to talk about games or whatever niche the forum was centered around. However, there's only so much you can talk about when something is ~15 years old when said thing has "do X, Y and Z or your doing it sub-optimally".

Of course, OT, while bringing in nice revenue, is a cesspool from both sides, including moderators.
    I would enjoy OT much more if it was more constructive. As it stands, the majority of it is people going at each others' throat and being aggressively sarcastic/ironic over others' beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't think it's really that uncommon to have an offtopic forum on a message board dedicated to a single interest. I certainly don't see it as a problem or something to be concerned about.
    I wouldn't mind something I can take part in. But the majority of the threads are so damn specific and foreign to me. Threads about Silicon Valley, Vietnam, obscure actors/politicians I wouldn't even know exist if it wasn't for this forum. It'splain boring. And filtering them out may possibly be even worse because threads about actual games are scarce.
    I don't know if taking OT away would kill the site, but if there is a chance for it to just become more WoW-centered, I'd take it.

If people want to remove the OT forums, why not just add an option to a user account to 'hide the OT forums' given self control apparently isn't an option.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Simply put, people are using a video game forum for the wrong reasons.
    "Your fun is wrong"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You are getting something wrong here. MagicFind has to negotiate with the current people, even so, that is most likely not our basic moderators. Beautiful Chaud will still be around most likely.

As well, why would they shut down one of their most active subforums?
    Na he himsefl is done with the site in an official capacity but the team has people who have been around since the start I even asked him what his plans were and he said this

EDIT I AM TOO TIRED DO BE DOING THIS GOODNIGHT AND IGNORE THIS
    Last edited by Firatha; 2019-06-13 at 07:11 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    "Your fun is wrong"
    Exactly. I hate finding politics in a gaming forum. I don't mind the odd funny thread about your favorite toy as a child, how much one works out weekly, funny stories and the likes. I absolutely despite politics, especially politics related to a country I've never seen that seems to be shoved down everyone's throat here.
    If your "fun" means monopolizing an entire forum, then yes, I find it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Na he is done with the site in an official capacity I even asked him what his plans were and he said this
    That is Bibi, not Chaud
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That is Bibi, not Chaud
    Oh fuck me I am going to bed good night.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.