Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

[TV] Denis Villeneuve's Dune: The Sisterhood (Bene Gesserit)

https://www.esquireme.com/content/35...w-what-we-know

New ⊃∪∩⪽ TV show - what we know.

The upcoming Dune movie from visionary sci-fi director Denis Villeneuve has been generations in the making.

Called, "unadaptable" because of its many failed movie and TV versions, Dune remains one of the most beloved science fiction stories of all time—one that has never been made into a worthy film or television series.

But that might all be about to change, as Villeneuve's upcoming Dune film—due out November 20, 2020—has a lot of promise, with a cast that includes Timothée Chalamet (Paul Atreides), Rebecca Ferguson (Lady Jessica), Oscar Isaac (Duke Leto Atreides), and more.

Now, according to new reports, Villeneuve's exploration of Frank Herbert's vast universe won't end with the Dune movie. As Variety reports, WarnerMedia has ordered a Dune: The Sisterhood series for its upcoming streaming service that focuses on the mysterious Bene Gesserit.

What does that mean, exactly? Well, in the books the Bene Gesserit are an ancient order of women who have mastered their minds and bodies through mental conditioning to gain superhuman powers. The Sisterhood uses its knowledge and power to help guide humanity according to their own plan of the future. And while their history—and purpose—isn't well known, members of the Sisterhood often work as advisors, wives, or concubines to leaders of the Great Houses, crafting alliances that help drive events toward their own goals.

In Dune, Ferguson will be playing Lady Jessica, the mother of the protagonist, Chalamet's Paul Atreides, who is the concubine of Issac's Duke Leto Atreides. Though she's not Leto's wife, she is in fact a member of the Bene Gesserit, who works as a close companion, lover, and advisor to Duke Leto, who is the head of the great House Atreides.

Villeneuve will direct the pilot with Jon Spaihts—who co-wrote the film screenplay with Eric Roth—will pen the series.

“The Bene Gesserit have always been fascinating to me,” Villeneuve told Variety. “Focusing a series around that powerful order of women seemed not only relevant and inspiring but a dynamic setting for the television series.”

While it's not clear when exactly this series will take place in the thousands of years of history that have been explored in the Dune Saga, this description from The Hollywood Reporter gives us some idea:

Herbert’s Dune novel examines a future in which humanity has spread across the galaxy to thousands of worlds, all ruled by the Padishah Emperor, The Imperium. Dune: The Sisterhood takes place in the same universe and explores the future through the eyes of a mysterious order of women: the Bene Gesserit. Given abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis — known to its inhabitants as Dune.

This sounds like the series will take place leading up to the events of Dune and the Bene Gesserit's political maneuvers throughout the universe. It's unclear when, exactly, this series will air, but considering the movie isn't slated until 2020 and the currently unnamed WarnerMedia streaming service won't launch until the end of the year at the earliest, we'll have to wait a little bit longer.

But, the promising thing for fans of Dune, is that THR reports that this series and movie is all part of Legendary Entertainment's “larger plan for Dune, which also includes video games, digital content packages and comic book series.”

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Bene_Gesserit

Objectives of the Bene Gesserit

The primary objective of the Bene Gesserit was to attain further power and influence and help to direct humanity along a path of insight and stability. Up until the emergence of Leto Atreides II, the anticipated means of reaching this goal was through the Kwisatz Haderach - the one who can be all places at once (a male Bene Gesserit "Reverend Mother Superior", a "super-being", and ultimately a Messiah-figure to serve the Missionaria Protectiva), and the ultimate objective of their age-old breeding program. The triumph of their plan was supposed to occur when the daughter of Leto Atreides I bred with Feyd Rautha Harkonnen.

However, their plans were thrown into turmoil by Jessica Atreides, when she consciously gave Leto Atreides I a son (Paul Atreides) instead of a daughter. Paul was assumed the Kwisatz Haderach, and, much to the dismay of the Bene Gesserit, arrived a generation too soon. Whether the order could have fully controlled the Kwisatz Haderach as they hoped remains debatable.

The Bene Gesserit’s plans are further disrupted when Paul bred with Chani, the Fremen daughter of Liet Kynes, stirring up rogue and unpredictable genetic traits. Their son, Leto Atreides II, and his actions as the God-Emperor, radically altered the long-term destiny of the Bene Gesserit: their primary goal became the re-establishment of their power-base, an intention that was severely tested by the emergence of the Honored Matres.

This objective was largely met, thanks to the merger of the Bene Gesserit and the Honored Matres but it remained clear that their fate is still very much out of their own hands.

Credo of the Bene Gesserit

Religion is the emulation of the adult by the child. Religion is the encystment of past beliefs: mythology, which is guesswork, the hidden assumptions of trust in the universe, those pronouncements which men have made in search of personal power, all of it mingled with shreds of enlightenment. And always the ultimate unspoken commandment is 'Thou shall not question!' But we question. We break that commandment as a matter of course. The work to which we have set ourselves is the liberating of the imagination, the harnessing of imagination to humankind's deepest sense of creativity.

Structure of the Bene Gesserit

Women unquestionably ruled the Bene Gesserit, and while men did maintain some important roles, they were always answerable to at least one woman - the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother Superior.

• The Reverend Mother Superior: maintained ultimate control of the entire order, and invoked almost unquestioned loyalty among the subordinate Reverend Mothers. A Reverend Mother chooses her successor prior to her death, and imparts her memories and personality to her. The inheritance of the Reverend Mother Superiors, at times, diverged among multiple Reverend Mothers, usually for strategic reasons.

• Kwisatz Mother: possessed the strongest tie to the other voices, in charge of the program to breed the Kwisatz Haderach; She solely directed the breeding program.

The subordinate Reverend Mothers of the Bene Gesserit fulfilled many diverse roles, including intelligence gathering, diplomacy, and breeding to continue the objectives of the breeding program. They also pursued more menial roles, with their occupation determined by the quality of their genetic make-up.

• Reverend Mothers: Have undergone the Spice Agony and survived. They fill the role of advisors, faculty, historians, geneticists. General authority of the Order for most members and the outside populace.
    • Proctor Superiors: In charge of a chapter house, each chapter house has a Proctor Superior.
    • Truthsayer: taught the ways to invoke the truth trance.
    • Sister: agents, concubines, potential wives.
    • Initiate

Powers and Abilities

The Bene Gesserit schools were designed to maximise the physical and mental potential of humanity, especially females. As a result, Bene Gesserit adepts possessed abilities that could not be rivalled by anyone else in the known universe.

Physically, a Bene Gesserit could control every muscle and nerve in their body, right down to the individual fibers. They were supreme in the disciplines of prana and bindu. The results of this training were numerous abilities, including:

• Oral Analysis: Upon tasting an item, a Bene Gesserit can break down the food into its ingredients, right down to its chemical composition;
    • Internal Organic-Chemical Control: Alteration of metabolism to render poisons harmless. This ability was used when potential Reverend Mothers took the Water of Life;
    • Prana Bindu: Alteration of blood flow, body temperature, heart rate, and level of consciousness, for the purposes of survival in harsh environments, or escaping from bonds;
    • Weirding Way: Superior hand-to-hand combat abilities; martial arts. Bene Gesserit trained men and women unrivalled in their fighting abilities. Only Imperial Sardaukar and the Fremen of Arrakis could approach the abilities of a Bene Gesserit in regards to combat techniques, attack speed, and resourcefulness. Later, in the Age of The Tyrant, and even later, in the times after The Scattering, new abilities were developed in humans by means of genetic breeding, in extremis situations (see Miles Teg, a Bene Gesserit Bashar), or designed into ghola abilities (see "Heretics Of Dune" era Duncan Idaho).
    • The Voice: Ability to influence people directly by giving them orders with a certain sound frequency. When a person is ordered to do something by the use of Voice it is almost irresistable not to comply. A Bene Gesserit is trained to resist the Voice. The downside of it is the phenomenon of entire population becoming immune to it if The Voice is being overly used upon a population. Mentats can especially become immune to the Voice if he understands how it works.
    • Sensing the Truth: Truthsayer is trained to sense if someone is telling the truth or not, but the other Bene Gesserit can also spot if someone is holding something back. Example: When Dr.Yueh was supposed to betray the Duke Leto of the Atreides, he felt guilty and anxious about it. Jessica had conversations with him and sensed that he is holding something back. Being informend that Bene Gesserit can sense his guilt about what he was about to do he exploited/manipulated his own emotions (remembering his wife in the grasp of baron Harkonnen) and mentioning her every time he thought Jessica was studying him and searching for more reasons why he felt so disturbed.
    • Fertility Control
    Bene Gesserit are able to control their own fertility, choosing when to get pregnant and the gender of their child in order to produce children when and where the order wishes in order to meet with the Bene Gesserits breeding program.

Bene Gesserit mental abilities included supreme levels of discipline. A Bene Gesserit mind could alter its level of consciousness, for the sake of relaxation, and hyper-alertness in times of potential danger. Moreover, a Bene Gesserit trained individual could:

• Petit Perception: monitor minutiae in others to detect concealed emotions, motivations, agendas, or even physical things such as concealed weapons, a false accent, surgery, or deception in general. This particular skill was useful in detecting face dancers.

Emergence as a Universal Power

"She nodded. "We have two chief survivors of those ancient schools: the Bene Gesserit and the Spacing Guild. The Guild, so we think, emphasizes almost pure mathematics. Bene Gesserit performs another function." "Politics!" he said. "
    ―Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
    For millennia, the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood chose to exercise its power by acting in the background of imperial politics. Through their breeding program, their placement of agents in the imperial court and Great Houses, and their provision of services such as the training of noble females, mediation in disputes, and overseers of negotiations, the Bene Gesserit carved out a significant niche in the structure of the Imperium. They were also silent partners in CHOAM along with the Bene Tleilax.

This all changed when House Atreides wrested the imperial throne from House Corrino. After the reign of Paul Atreides and his son Leto Atreides II, there came into existence a power vacuum. This vacuum was filled by both the Bene Gesserit and Bene Tleilax, who sought to maintain control over the remnants of the empire after humanity exploded across the universe in The Scattering. The Bene Gesserit came to believe that if they were to avoid coming under another tyrant, they would have to take a more active role in politics and universal events.

The Honored Matres

It came to the point where the Bene Gesserit came to open conflict with both the Bene Tleilax and the Honored Matres, a bastardisation of Bene Gesserit + Fish Speakers that returned from The Scattering. Indeed, the Sisterhood found themselves in a position of champion of the Old Order when the Honored Matres began attacking planets of the Old Imperium.

During the Return of the Honored Matres, the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother Superior Darwi Odrade, a descendant of Paul, realized only through the Sisterhood combining with the Matres could both organizations survive into the future. First, Odrade trained her captive Murbella, a captured Matre, in the ways of the sisters. Then she and a ghola of Miles Teg, set up a plan to attack the Honored Matre base on the Guild-world of Junction. As Odrade was killed in the ensuing battle, Murbella also killed the Honored Matre leader, Logno. Murbella then decided to unite both groups into the New Sisterhood.

Sheeana Escapes

There was immediate resistance to the concept of the merger, as Sheeana, a rebel Reverend Mother, escaped from Chapterhouse in a No-ship, with a hundred of her fellow sisters; taking a few sandworms with them. They escaped with Miles Teg and Duncan Idaho, who had their own reasons for leaving; but Sheeana's group's intention was one to set up a "pure" Gesserit outpost, far away from civilization. As the no-ship fold-spaced throughout the cosmos in an attempt to escape the tachyon net of the mysterious elderly couple, Daniel and Marty, the sisters aboard the no-ship held true to their training and structure.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-24 at 03:18 PM.

Well... okay, I guess?

I guess I'm doubtful as to what kind of storyline they're going for with that TV series. The BG rely on monstrous amounts of exposition before you really understand them, delivering that well is quite the task. What would they adapt? Heretics/Chapterhouse? Without knowledge of the God Emperor's times that might be a tough sell. Pre-Dune era? Also complicated.

I'm not saying it can't be made to work, but I'm a little skeptical.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's by Denis Villeneuve who made Blade Runner 2049 so I feel he could deliver. If it was some random director, I'd be worried..

That they give him both the movie n then the series says the company has great faith in him, this is unusual to get both a movie n a tv show I would think (honestly I have never heard of such a deal before)

A plus would be they could re-use sets from the film, that's one way to save monies, that would be an argument to get this deal approved

A big sell for the movie would be if this series came out before n would be a prequel show, but seeing how long the movie has been in production I would bet against that timing..unless the show has secretly been hiring actors n shooting for a while now..

Another move could be to change when the movie comes out, so it does well, it will probably be awesome but blade runner 1 & 2 didn't make a lot of money even though they are loved..on the other hand blade runner is noir n a lot less action oriented so Denis' prior work shouldn't give people fears? If anyone can deliver an awesome sci-fi saga it's him, I'm so sick of star wars, I want something else..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-06-12 at 07:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Well... okay, I guess?

I guess I'm doubtful as to what kind of storyline they're going for with that TV series. The BG rely on monstrous amounts of exposition before you really understand them, delivering that well is quite the task. What would they adapt? Heretics/Chapterhouse? Without knowledge of the God Emperor's times that might be a tough sell. Pre-Dune era? Also complicated.

I'm not saying it can't be made to work, but I'm a little skeptical.
    Yeah, I agree. The Bene Gesserit after God Emperor is quite different from what it used to be. In Heretics and forward, the Bene Gesserit is seen as rather benevolent since its reformation as guides of humanity by Leto II. But before Leto II, the books shows them as kniving, manipulative, not very sympathetic at all. In Dune and before, their main goal is to create the Kwizatz Haderach. They are using religion, the Missionaria Protectiva and Panoplia Prophetica to manipulate and take power over the people. In Messiah and Children, they conspire to dethrone Paul and to create a new Kwizatz Haderach they could control. They are not really likable. Of course, the reality is more nuanced than that. It is Dune afterall.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing the Dune history, although it becomes a bit too weird after half human, half worm god figure for me. I can't wait for more series DUNE is one of the greatest sci-fi series a good mixture between science and fantasy, between tales heroism and political thrillers. So i'm very glad to see that in the near future we will get more DUNE series and games!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Yeah, I agree. The Bene Gesserit after God Emperor is quite different from what it used to be. In Heretics and forward, the Bene Gesserit is seen as rather benevolent since its reformation as guides of humanity by Leto II. But before Leto II, the books shows them as kniving, manipulative, not very sympathetic at all. In Dune and before, their main goal is to create the Kwizatz Haderach. They are using religion, the Missionaria Protectiva and Panoplia Prophetica to manipulate and take power over the people. In Messiah and Children, they conspire to dethrone Paul and to create a new Kwizatz Haderach they could control. They are not really likable. Of course, the reality is more nuanced than that. It is Dune afterall.
    Didn't another sort of sisterhood that came from them engaged in a war with them? it's all rather vague for me but i do remember another far more violent sisterhood and one of them conspiring with the bene gesserit eventually to kill their leader.

However i think, they have always been cold and calculated. Perhaps they grew more bitter after a messiah was born that they didn't want? Something they however did seek to create but creating one out of their control send them into a far more visible aggressive role rather than their cloak and dagger practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Knowing the Dune history, although it becomes a bit too weird after half human, half worm god figure for me. I can't wait for more series DUNE is one of the greatest sci-fi series a good mixture between science and fantasy, between tales heroism and political thrillers. So i'm very glad to see that in the near future we will get more DUNE series and games!

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't another sort of sisterhood that came from them engaged in a war with them? it's all rather vague for me but i do remember another far more violent sisterhood and one of them conspiring with the bene gesserit eventually to kill their leader.

However i think, they have always been cold and calculated. Perhaps they grew more bitter after a messiah was born that they didn't want? Something they however did seek to create but creating one out of their control send them into a far more visible aggressive role rather than their cloak and dagger practice.
    Your are speaking about the Honored Matres. After Leto II's long reign (about 3,500 years?), humanity exploded and spread to the far reaches of the galaxy. Some Reverand Mothers were part of the Scattering. During the thousand of years that followed, they merged with Fishspeakers. Fishspeakers were amazons that formed the elite warriors of the God Emperor's army, bred from both Sardaukars and Fremen Fedaykins. Since the Honored Matres didn't have access to spice, they took some pseudo-melange that gave them orange eyes instead of blue. They were very violent and tyrannical and expert at subjugating men with sex (what's new...). And yes, one of them joined the Bene Gesserit.

The Bene Gesserit are indeed cold and calculating. There's an interesting episode where the Mother Superior (was it Darwi Odrade) does a speech to her sisters about sticking and working together, etc. And Belonda says: "I suppose you are going to tell us to love one another?" To which the Mother Superior replies: "Don't be ridiculous." Yet, they were more benevolent after God-Emperor. Leto II taught them a lesson and the last thing they want now is another prescient tyrant. However, they are indeed more openly active. Leto II destroyed the order of the Mentat (human computers) and the Bene Gesserit sheltered some of them. Some Reverend Mothers became even mentats themselves (Belonda). They also have an army of their own. Miles Teg was a bashar of the Bene Gesserit. They filled the power vacuum left by the destruction of the Landsraad and the Empire. They truly are the "heroes" of Dune after God-Emperor.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bene Gesserit is the perfect setup for a prestige style TV drama. They basically represent the living memory of humanity. This series can tell this story through the PoV of the sisters. GoT, Breaking Bad, Westworld etc. all tell their narratives through character PoV. This narratives can jump from being personal or experience global type events.

Ohhh and plenty of flashbacks or time jumps through their power of ancestral memory. Think of Delores and Maeve uncovering more of their memories as their stories progressed. Unwittingly following the grand plan set up by Ford and Bernard. The BG love their plans and pawns.

Also Villeniue has experience in exploring themes of memory. Blade Runner 2029 was so much about memory forming identity. Arrival was about future memory and its effects on the self.

The Bene Gesserit being super memory ninjas, should offer a treasure trove of plot ideas.

Plans within plans.
    Government Affiliated Snark

5+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's not man bashing, feminazi propaganda it could be good.

Trolling isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-07-03 at 05:57 PM.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    As long as it's not man bashing, feminazi propaganda it could be good.
    With super powerful and smart women in charge?
    In 2019, where everything is political and virtue signaling? Yea...sorry buddy.
    Bene Gesserit will look awesome with blue hair.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreo View Post
    With super powerful and smart women in charge?
    In 2019, where everything is political and virtue signaling? Yea...sorry buddy.
    Bene Gesserit will look awesome with blue hair.
    Then it will fall on its face. with their blue hair lol.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

5+ Year Old Account
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1061887/

‘Dune’ HBO Max Series Enlists Diane Ademu-John as New Showrunner (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dun...hn-1235024854/
    By Joe Otterson - Jul 22, 2021 9:00am PT

The “Dune” television series prequel at HBO Max has found its new showrunner.

Variety has learned exclusively that Diane Ademu-John has boarded “Dune: The Sisterhood” in the role of writer, showrunner, and executive producer. Jon Spaihts had previously been attached to run the series, but he stepped down in November 2019 to focus on writing the script for the second of the “Dune” reboot films.

The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

Ademu-John most recently worked as an executive producer and writer on the Netflix horror series “The Haunting of Bly Manor.” Prior to that, she worked on shows such as “Empire” at Fox, “The Originals” and “The Vampire Diaries” at The CW, and “Medium” and “Crossing Jordan” at NBC.

She is repped by Paradigm, Atlas Literary, and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce along with Scott Z. Burns. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.

The “Dune” series is one of several upcoming shows at HBO Max that are tied into new films. The streamer is also currently working on the “Peacemaker” series starring John Cena, reprising his role from the new “Suicide Squad” film, as well as a Gotham PD series that is tied into the events of “The Batman” starring Robert Pattinson.

The first new “Dune” film was supposed to hit theaters last year before its release was delayed due to the pandemic. It will now arrive in theaters on Oct. 22 in addition to being available on HBO Max. A full-length trailer dropped on Thursday.

Spaihts and Villeneuve also co-wrote the screenplay for the film along with Eric Roth. Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, and Dave Bautista are among those attached to star. The book had previously been adapted into a 1984 film written and directed by David Lynch.

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-24 at 01:02 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    All very confusing "support" since the studio has also said they aren't greenlighting the 2nd half to the Dune movie about to come out unless it makes enough money at the box office.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Seems they believe the movie will meet all expectations so TV series would pay off too. Imho, too soon and too fast, but oh well, I am not a marketing expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

5+ Year Old Account
    sometimes i do search for keywords in internet booksellers, looked for Dune n use sort by new arrivals to see what books are on the way, i might have not heard of, n I came across this one. Dunno if she is tied to the show somehow, the imdb page is pretty empty as of now..

Women’s Agency in the Dune Universe: Tracing Women’s Liberation through Science Fiction Hardcover – 12 Dec. 2021

by Kara Kennedy (Author)
    Kara Kennedy is a researcher, writer, and educator in the areas of science fiction, digital literacy, and writing. She is an avid scholar of Dune who has lectured and published on various topics including world-building. She posts literary analyses of Dune for a mainstream audience on her blog DuneScholar.com.

This book undertakes the first large-scale analysis of women’s agency in Frank Herbert’s six-book science fiction Dune series. Kara Kennedy explores how female characters in the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood―from Jessica to Darwi Odrade―secure control and influence through five avenues of embodied agency: mind-body synergy, reproduction and motherhood, voices, education and memory, and sexuality. She also discusses constraints on their agency, tensions between individual and collective action, and comparisons with other characters including the Mentats, Bene Tleilaxu, and Honored Matres. The book engages with second-wave feminist theories and historical issues to highlight how the series anticipated and paralleled developments in the women’s liberation movement. In this context, it addresses issues regarding sexual difference and solidarity, as well as women’s demand to have control over their bodies. Kennedy concludes that the series should be acknowledged as a significant contribution to the genre as part of both New Wave and feminist science fiction.

some interview

5+ Year Old Account
    Since someone posted an update in the Dune movie thread n we have a thread for the tv show too..

‘Dune’ Prequel Series at HBO Max Taps ‘Chernobyl’ Director Johan Renck to Helm First Two Episodes.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dun...or-1235242651/
    By Joe Otterson - Apr 27, 2022 10:30am PT

The “Dune” prequel series at HBO Max has brought Johan Renck onboard to direct the first two episodes.

Renck will also serve as an executive producer on the show, currently titled “Dune: The Sisterhood.” It was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Previously, “Dune” director and co-writer Denis Villeneuve was attached to direct the pilot for “Dune: The Sisterhood,” but his work on the “Dune” sequel film will prevent him from doing so.

The show is set 10,000 years prior to the events of “Dune” and follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

Renck won two Emmys for his work on the critically-acclaimed HBO limited series “Chernobyl” — one as an executive producer when the show won best limited series and another for best directing for a limited series, as he directed all five episodes. Renck is also known his work on shows like “Vikings,” “Bloodline,” “Breaking Bad,” “The Walking Dead,” and “Halt and Catch Fire.” He is an accomplished music video director to boot, including directing David Bowie in videos for “Blackstar” and “Lazarus.”

Renck is repped by CAA, Black Bear Pictures, Casarotto Ramsay, and attorney Warren Dern.

The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary Television, with Legendary producing the new “Dune” films. Variety exclusively reported that Diane Ademu-John will serve as writer, showrunner and executive producer in “Dune: The Sisterhood.” Along with Renck, Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Mark Friedman and Matthew King executive produce along with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce.

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-04-29 at 05:34 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Dune’ Prequel Series at HBO Max Casts Emily Watson, Shirley Henderson

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dun...on-1235392857/
    By Joe Otterson - Oct 4, 2022 11:30am PT

The “Dune” prequel series at HBO Max from Legendary Television has cast Emily Watson and Shirley Henderson in lead roles, Variety has learned.

Officially titled “Dune: The Sisterhood,” the series was ordered at HBO Max in June 2019. The show is set 10,000 years before the events of “Dune” and is based on the novel “Sisterhood of Dune” by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Per the official logline, the show “follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit”

Watson will play Valya Harkonnen and Henderson will play Tula Harkonnen. The character descriptions say the two sisters “have risen to power in the Sisterhood, a secret organization of women who will go on to become the Bene Gesserit.”

Watson is a two-time best actress Oscar nominee — one for her work in “Breaking the Waves” and another for “Hilary and Jackie.” Her other film credits include “Gosford Park,” “Red Dragon,” and “The Book Thief.” In television, she earned an Emmy nomination for her supporting role in the hit HBO limited series “Chernobyl.” She has also starred in shows like “The Third Day,” “Genius,” and the 2017 miniseries version of “Little Women.”

She is repped by Independent Talent Group, UTA, and Schreck Rose.

Henderson is perhaps best known to American audiences for playing Moaning Myrtle in the films “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” and “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” as well as for her roles in the “Bridget Jones” franchise. Henderson has also starred in films like “Trainspotting,” “Okja,” and “24 Hour Party People.”

She is repped by Hamilton Hodell and Goodman Genow.

Variety exclusively reported that Diane Ademu-John is the creator, co-showrunner, and executive producer on “Dune: The Sisterhood.” Alison Schapker serves as co-showrunner and executive producer. Johan Renck will direct the premiere episode and executive produce. Renck previously worked with Watson on “Chernobyl.”

Denis Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Anderson serves as co-producer. The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary TV.

Legendary is also producing the recent film reboot of “Dune.” The first of the two planned films was released in October 2021, grossing just over $400 million worldwide. The sequel is currently in production and is expected to be released in November 2023. Villeneuve is the director of both films, with Spaihts and Villeneuve writing the screenplays of both films as well.

“Dune” won six Academy Award nominations after its release, and also received nominations for best picture and best adapted screenplay.

I wonder if this will cover the conflict that humans had with artificial intelligence and robots. The creation of the Sardaukar and turning the planet Salusa Secundus into a prison planet.

I don't expect much from this. Herbert is difficult to properly adapt even with actual source material - this is based on inference at best. I don't trust them to turn this into a worthwhile story in keeping with the spirit of the Dune universe; instead I expect them to do what these projects always do, create their own story with little to no intrinsic connection to the source, and using the IP purely to milk established fan bases. Which wouldn't bother me per se, but has historically proven disastrous in almost every instance because they just don't have a good story to tell in the first place, and putting a veneer of a good IP over it only highlights their own shortcomings all the more.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Dune: The Sisterhood’: ‘Game Of Thrones’ & ‘Obi-Wan’ Star Indira Varma Joins HBO Max & Legendary Prequel Series As Empress Natalya

https://deadline.com/2022/10/dune-th...ya-1235143681/
    By Andreas Wiseman - October 13, 2022 9:18am

EXCLUSIVE: Game Of Thrones, Obi-Wan and Carnival Row actress Indira Varma is the third actor to join anticipated prequel series Dune: The Sisterhood (working title) from HBO Max and Legendary Television.

Varma will play Empress Natalya, described to us “a formidable royal who united thousands of worlds in her marriage to Emperor Corrino”. She joins the previously announced Emily Watson and Shirley Henderson.

Set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides, the series will follow the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit. The drama is adapted from the novel Sisterhood Of Dune, written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

Diane Ademu-John serves as creator, writer, co-showrunner and executive producer. Alison Schapker is co-showrunner and executive producer. Emmy-winner Johan Renck will direct the premiere episode and executive-produce.

Dune and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve, Oscar-nominated writer Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins are executive producers with author Brian Herbert, along with Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert as executive producers for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson serves as co-producer.

The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary Television with Legendary also producing the Dune movie reboot that last year scored six Oscars and more than $400M at the box office. That film’s sequel is also in production.

Varma stars in the upcoming Apple TV+ anthology series Extrapolations, opposite Ed Norton and Michael Gandolfini, and will also have a key role in next year’s Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning – Part One. She recently starred in Obi-Wan Kenobi for Disney. The Olivier Award-winning stage actress is well known for playing Ellaria Sand in HBO’s Game Of Thrones, for Amazon/Legendary series Carnival Row, Showtime’s Patrick Melrose, and BBC’s Luther.
    The British actress is represented by 42MP, Gersh and Principle Entertainment LA.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't dislike him, but am I the only one that always have subtitles on when he speaks?..

Travis Fimmel To Star In ‘Dune: The Sisterhood’ HBO Max Series

https://deadline.com/2022/11/travis-...es-1235167271/
    By Nellie Andreeva - November 8, 2022 5:15pm

Travis Fimmel has been tapped as the male lead opposite Emily Watson and Shirley Henderson in HBO Max’s series Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), from Legendary Television.

The series, based on Frank Herbert’s classic novel, is set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides and follows the Harkonnen Sisters, played by Watson and Henderson, as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

Fimmel will play Desmond Hart, a charismatic soldier with an enigmatic past who seeks to gain the Emperor’s trust at the expense of the Sisterhood. In addition to Watson and Henderson, Fimmel joins previously cast Indira Varma, Sarah-Sofie Boussnina, Shalom Brune-Franklin, Faoileann Cunningham, Aoife Hinds and Chloe Lea.

Diane Ademu-John serves as the series’ creator, writer, co-showrunner and executive producer. Alison Schapker serves as co-showrunner and executive producer. Johan Renck will direct the premiere episode and executive produce. Denis Villeneuve, who directed, co-wrote and produced the 2021 Dune film, is executive producing with Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins, along with author Brian Herbert. Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serve as executive producers for the Frank Herbert estate. Author Kevin J. Anderson serves as co-producer.

The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary Television, the TV arm of Legendary, which is behind the current film franchise.

This marks former Vikings star Fimmel’s return to HBO Max where he headlined Raised By Wolves for the sci-fi drama’s two-season run. He is repped by Paradigm, Entertainment 360 and Sloan, Offer.