Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Agreed with OP. While goblin background is pretty, it doesnt fit them at all.

    Sadly I think that because goblins are one of the least popular races I dont think it will change. Our only chance seems to be their model updates - which is going to be their tiny spotlight. If they wont get it now, they wont get it ever.

    While we are at the topic of neglected goblins, I would also like to raise the point that they cant be monks for fucking no reason, which infuriates me as well.

  2. #22
    OP i get what you're saying, and yeah they need more mech shit in their character screens.

    fuck kezan
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    And your logic fails at the reading stage, I take it? "They start out their 'MAIN PLAY', stranded on an island."


    Oh, I know what you might want to aim at but that isn't how the backgrounds are setup - sorry but maybe in the future when they actually have something that is theirs, and not on lease/borrowed/rent like they have now. Bilgewater Harbor is technically Orcish owned. But I get that you rather the backgrounds changed to suit their updated adventure, which means the following needs changing:

    Goblin (no more Lost Isles)
    Night Elves (no more Darnassus)
    Forsaken (no more Undercity)
    Worgen (no more Gilneas)
    Troll (no more Sen'jin Village)
    Mag'har (no more Iron Horde strongholds)
    Death Knights (no more need for Icecrown)
    Demon Hunter (no more need to be on that green rock)
    Void Elves (no more need to hide in the nether)
    What "main play"? You start on Kezan, you kill stuff, you collect stuff, the exact same things you do all game. It's not a cutscene and it's over. It actually takes some time. Your logic makes no sense, then why would Gnomes have the gnomish gnomeregan stuff in their background not just a random snowy hill? Gnomeregan is not their "main play" it's literally 2 quests.
    It's because their background is "gnomish" enough and it's fine. The background is not there to keep with canon or tell a story, it's just a representation. And the Lost Isles don't represent Goblins. That's the whole point.

    I don't even know what this list is. But tell me then how the backgrounds are set-up. The pattern I see is that each race outside of orcs have their natural structures and/or scenes behind them. A lush island on a sunny day is not the goblin feel.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Most racial backgrounds are related to their starting zone. The lion's share of the goblin 1-20 experience takes place in the Lost Isles, where they shipwreck at level 5. Humans and orcs are the exception because they act as the de-facto 'heart' of their respective faction, and their capitals are the main hub for that faction.
    Man, I know WHY it is the Lost Isles.

    The point is, having no goblin stuff in the background makes it not good for goblins. Even on the Lost Isles you blow everything up. That's the goblin way. The background could easily feature a rig/ town-ina-box/ mines/ shredders whatever. You get the point.

    It's at the point where Kezan makes way more sense.

  4. #24
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    31,362
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    What "main play"? You start on Kezan, you kill stuff, you collect stuff, the exact same things you do all game. It's not a cutscene and it's over. It actually takes some time.
    Takes some time? Takes hardly any time. 5 levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Your logic makes no sense, then why would Gnomes have the gnomish gnomeregan stuff in their background not just a random snowy hill? Gnomeregan is not their "main play" it's literally 2 quests.
    It's because their background is "gnomish" enough and it's fine.
    Do you have a Gnome? Have you leveled a Gnome? You start in Gnomeregan, not really main play, then you leave Gnomeregan and go to New Tinkertown, WHICH IS RIGHT INFRONT OF GNOMEREGAN MAIN ENTRANCE! You have the bloody door in the background, and the building next to you, is a building from New Tinkertown.


    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    The background is not there to keep with canon or tell a story, it's just a representation. And the Lost Isles don't represent Goblins. That's the whole point.
    Yes, and the Lost isle represents some of the Goblin's Journey as well. Doesn't all have to be direct for the same setup.

    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    I don't even know what this list is. But tell me then how the backgrounds are set-up. The pattern I see is that each race outside of orcs have their natural structures and/or scenes behind them. A lush island on a sunny day is not the goblin feel.
    I gave you a list, as you didn't seem to find it befitting of using old locations of the Goblins as a background. So, the list shows the old locations of the following races and classes who aren't actually there anymore either.

    I understand you want a thematic background with machines and coolshit, but that still boils the list down to other races who's backgrounds doesn't really fulfill that wish anymore either.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    And your logic fails at the reading stage, I take it? "They start out their 'MAIN PLAY', stranded on an island."
    What even is "main play"? Because you do quite a few quests in Kezan before the story takes them to the island. It introduces the goblin society, the rules (or lack thereof), the culture, etc.

    It just feels like you are moving the goalposts in your argument with OP, here. Kezan is just as much a part of the starting experience as island, it sets the tone for the entire story with Gallywix. It certainly is more relevant to a Goblin player than the island they try to get away from. Even the gate of Orgrimmar would be more relevant. They wanted nothing to do with that island, they just wanted to get out of there as quickly as they could.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the goblins' background in the character selection screen is way too out of touch?

    Every other race has a background that is related to the race itself. Goblins have a random shot of jungle+shore with a little island in the background.
    That is just so not goblin.

    The goblin background should be something like Kezan (or the Motherlode) in style, not a jungle that implies that goblins care about nature and stuff.

    Call me nit picky, but I want my goblins some justice.
    Character selection screen related to a charaters starting area not race theme.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Takes some time? Takes hardly any time. 5 levels.


    Do you have a Gnome? Have you leveled a Gnome? You start in Gnomeregan, not really main play, then you leave Gnomeregan and go to New Tinkertown, WHICH IS RIGHT INFRONT OF GNOMEREGAN MAIN ENTRANCE! You have the bloody door in the background, and the building next to you, is a building from New Tinkertown.



    Yes, and the Lost isle represents some of the Goblin's Journey as well. Doesn't all have to be direct for the same setup.


    I gave you a list, as you didn't seem to find it befitting of using old locations of the Goblins as a background. So, the list shows the old locations of the following races and classes who aren't actually there anymore either.

    I understand you want a thematic background with machines and coolshit, but that still boils the list down to other races who's backgrounds doesn't really fulfill that wish anymore either.
    Okay, let me explain in a way you might understand.

    Look at your list. Then check them in-game.
    Does the Night Elf background feel Night Elf? Can you clearly state that without the character, the background itself is Night Elven?
    Now do the same for every other one. Then look at Goblins. Tell me what you see.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetzu View Post
    Character selection screen related to a charaters starting area not race theme.
    And that's why I keep saying Kezan is much better for Goblin representation than the Lost Isles. Or use the Lost Isles but in a way you have goblin stuff in the background. Like the last part of the zone where you defeat Gallywix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •