Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Goblin Character Selection Background

Am I the only one who thinks that the goblins' background in the character selection screen is way too out of touch?

Every other race has a background that is related to the race itself. Goblins have a random shot of jungle+shore with a little island in the background.
    That is just so not goblin.

The goblin background should be something like Kezan (or the Motherlode) in style, not a jungle that implies that goblins care about nature and stuff.

Call me nit picky, but I want my goblins some justice.

It is related to the race. It is the questing area after Kezan blows up. Motherlode didn't exist untill BFA.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When they update the models I hope they update those starting screens. Put Goblins in Azshara, put the Worgen in Gilneas City.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Goblins have the most beautiful background imo. Never been a fan of their new architecture in Cata

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Goblins have the most beautiful background imo. Never been a fan of their new architecture in Cata
    I think it fits Goblins. I just hate that that looks has now become the default for "Engineering" whether Gnomish or Goblin.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    It is related to the race. It is the questing area after Kezan blows up. Motherlode didn't exist untill BFA.
    True, but just like Kezan, goblins cannot go there anymore. At least with Kezan, it was their actual homeland.

Put Azshara's big telecope/cannon thing in the background!

They'll get a new one with the new model for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    Makes you wonder then why the Worgen don't have the Night Elf background, eh?

It doesn't matter. The lost isles has nothing to do with goblin culture. At least if there were some goblin machinery in the backgroun it would be fine, but no.

IMO, the Orgrimmar goblin slums would represent the goblin theme more than this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The background itself is good. But not as a goblin background, that's my point.

Goblins are industrial races, they don't care about nature. The opposite of what this background implies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the goblins' background in the character selection screen is way too out of touch?

Every other race has a background that is related to the race itself. Goblins have a random shot of jungle+shore with a little island in the background.

The goblin background should be something like Kezan (or the Motherlode) in style, not a jungle that implies that goblins care about nature and stuff.

It's related to their storyline. They start out their main play, stranded on an island.

- - - Updated - - -

Worgen's main play started out in Gilneas.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The background itself is good. But not as a goblin background, that's my point.

Goblins are industrial races, they don't care about nature. The opposite of what this background implies.
    They dont all have to follow EXACTLY the same logic, eh?

How does the image show them "caring" about nature?

Slightly offtopic but i feel like the artset for the Lost isles were kinda wasted in hindsight, it's a pretty unique afaik and it's acessible only for a single race for a rather limited amount of time, meaning level 5-12.

10+ Year Old Account

Most racial backgrounds are related to their starting zone. The lion's share of the goblin 1-20 experience takes place in the Lost Isles, where they shipwreck at level 5. Humans and orcs are the exception because they act as the de-facto 'heart' of their respective faction, and their capitals are the main hub for that faction.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Slightly offtopic but i feel like the artset for the Lost isles were kinda wasted in hindsight, it's a pretty unique afaik and it's acessible only for a single race for a rather limited amount of time, meaning level 5-12.
    I kindda hoped they would use it for the Expeditions, you know. Travel there for Azerite just to see good ol' Town in a Box being used by some other creatures and stuff..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Lost Isles and, before the Monk order hall made it accessible past level 20, Wandering Isle were totally wasted. Lots of good RP spots and lovely scenery/music just sitting there in limbo once you finish the quest line.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    put the Worgen in Gilneas City.
    They are already there, no?

And yeah, goblins should have either Kezan or Azshara (urban) background.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'd rather them fix the damn height scaling of the races & characters on the load screen more than fixing the background of the Goblins (which btw fits their in-game story as it pertains to joining the Horde since they were washed ashore in a jungle before joining up with the Horde). As you can see from these images, they don't match up properly for the races & classes. Trolls are supposed to be the tallest race yet on the load screen they're shorter than most other races. The troll Death Knight is shorter than a "regular" troll. Blood Elf Demon Hunters are tiny compared to other Blood Elves or even the Night Elf Demon Hunter. Every single one of these images has been scaled to be 75% of the original screenshot size.

Troll DK

Undead priest

Blood Elf mage

Troll warrior

Blood Elf DH

Night Elf DH

Night Elf DK

Night Elf warrior

Female human pally

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Lost Isles and, before the Monk order hall made it accessible past level 20, Wandering Isle were totally wasted. Lots of good RP spots and lovely scenery/music just sitting there in limbo once you finish the quest line.
    Oh, indeed. They were more shuffled away, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It's related to their storyline. They start out their main play, stranded on an island.

- - - Updated - - -

Worgen's main play started out in Gilneas.
    Goblins started out on Kezan. Your logic tumbles every time you try to counter.

The point is not whether the lost isles were part of the goblin stuff. The point is the background doesn't have anything goblin-y in it. An oil rig in the water with some town-in-a-box like stuff on the shore, some explosives somewhere whatever. You get the point. You know what a goblin is like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    They dont all have to follow EXACTLY the same logic, eh?

How does the image show them "caring" about nature?
    By not being half-destroyed. The usual goblin stuff.

Even on the lost isles goblin blew shit up left and right. It just doesn't show the basic goblin nature, which it should.

The point is not whether the lost isles were part of the goblin stuff. The point is the background doesn't have anything goblin-y in it. An oil rig in the water with some town-in-a-box like stuff on the shore, some explosives somewhere whatever. You get the point. You know what a goblin is like.

- - - Updated - - -

By not being half-destroyed. The usual goblin stuff.

Even on the lost isles goblin blew shit up left and right. It just doesn't show the basic goblin nature, which it should.
    It shows them arriving, and being out of their element - exactly the images intention.

10+ Year Old Account
    And your logic fails at the reading stage, I take it? "They start out their 'MAIN PLAY', stranded on an island."

Oh, I know what you might want to aim at but that isn't how the backgrounds are setup - sorry but maybe in the future when they actually have something that is theirs, and not on lease/borrowed/rent like they have now. Bilgewater Harbor is technically Orcish owned. But I get that you rather the backgrounds changed to suit their updated adventure, which means the following needs changing:

Goblin (no more Lost Isles)
    Night Elves (no more Darnassus)
    Forsaken (no more Undercity)
    Worgen (no more Gilneas)
    Troll (no more Sen'jin Village)
    Mag'har (no more Iron Horde strongholds)
    Death Knights (no more need for Icecrown)
    Demon Hunter (no more need to be on that green rock)
    Void Elves (no more need to hide in the nether)