Poll: Should WoW have a WoW 2 1.x?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

People will say, just play Classic (Vanilla)
    Just, Play, Classic, World of Warcraft 2... the name... sounds awful, it will never happen, period.

no. i've had success in a guild, i've had success without. the level squish will be shitty enough, starting over would be a full on WOOF.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

15+ Year Old Account
    I want a skill tree like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    And that's fine. But just because you're happy to retire your characters, doesn't mean that anyone else should feel the same way about theirs or that this should be a requirement on the game
    But you see? I don't know you.. and don't care about what you want. I am sharing what I want. Whether it fits with your desires is none of my concern. It doesn;t make what I want "wrong"'

It doesn;t matter because it will never happen. Blizzard will shut the game game down soon enough due to lack of interest. Then where will your characters be then?

Said this before, will say it again. I think the game needs a complete overhaul to be good again. As it stands, the developers have trapped themselves in constant patterns and repition to appease the status quo and the current playerbase. Every expansion is predictable now, and the game isn't as successful because it's mechanics are fundamentally flawed or outdated. From the way they implemented flying mounts, to how raiding and PvE works, to even how the combat system works in general. We also can't forget the how the game is running on more-or-less the same custom engine as vanilla, which prevents it from evolving graphically, and limits developers as far as animation and modelling technology goes.

If they had an entirely new IP with a new engine to run it on, they could do so many things, like:

- Reinvent the combat system, make underwater combat more intuitive and mounted combat a possibility.
    - Change the way flying works from the ground up, or just avoid it entirely.
    - Create a more sandbox/open-world focused MMO over a theme park one (as much as that has been attempted with WoW it can't be done without knocking down it's foundations as a theme park MMO)
    - Overhaul the graphics, character models, animation, etc, unlimited by WoW's 15yo engine & outdated skeleton recycling.
    - Create a game with an entirely new aesthetic and visual identity. As a new game, it doesn't have to be related to WoW in the slightest. It can be whatever it wants; it can look like whatever it wants.
    - Work with better technology to create a more immersive world.
    - Create an entirely new class system with more freedom and less rigidity
    - Create a better character creation system that allows for more diverse customization
    - Do away with factions, or at least create a game that doesn't force you to be in one.
    - Redesign PvP, PvE, Endgame & Open World content.

They could do countless more things to make a great modern MMO. There are plenty of examples of what a modern MMO looks like, from GW2 to BDO and upcoming games to boot. All of these games show that WoW isn't able to keep up with them, and might not ever be able to on a fundamental level. Blizzard could be doing so much more.

What Blizzard needs doesn't have to be a direct sequel to WoW, but rather a spiritual successor MMO. One built on a modern engine, and a clean slate for entirely new ideas, and developed with complete awareness of the mistakes and pitfalls encountered during WoW's lifetime. Blizzard always had a penchant for trying new things with their games, taking risks with different forms of gameplay and mechanics. I feel like a new MMO would encourage that old innovator's spirit Blizzard used to have.

TL;DR - A lot of people still cling to WoW, hoping for it to be great again. Truth is Blizzard needs a new IP to make a good MMO again. WoW is just too outdated, and a clean slate that provides limitless potential is to good to pass up. Blizzard is very good at making polished products, i'd love to see what they'd do without being held back by WoW's old bones.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2019-06-25 at 02:32 AM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAForLife View Post
    A WoW 2 that started at 1.x with updated graphics, and only a few QoL changes would be perfect. Like, make it equivalent to WoW 3.1, in terms of changes to gameplay, just before RDF was added. RDF/queuing for dungeons started the downward spiral. Also keep badge/catch-up gear out of the game.
    Totally disagree. I would not want any version of wow without dungeon or raid finder. I want to spend my time running dungeons and raids, not organizing groups to run dungeons or raids. I also don't want the class design from WOTLK on back. I would prefer the class design of MOP or WOD with the addition of demon hunters. I would also prefer to keep catch up gear options in the game also.

I would not prefer they spend time on a new game engine for WOW 2. I would rather they just make a better expansion. WOW is an online multiplayer game. If they made a game with better graphics, it would be harder for it to run well online.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2019-06-23 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Wouldn't it simply be nice if WoW started over, on even ground with your peers?

WoW has simply become a "collection" game these days, and it isn't very fun. Play /Pay to collect "rare" mounts, or "rare" pets.

This isn't why we used to play, IS IT?

People will say, just play Classic (Vanilla). What if I would rather just play WotLK? TBC .. or, curse me later, Pandaria?

It's in most peoples general interest to just start over. There are too many variables.

And the "retail" version is quite dumb.

So, onto the poll!

CLARIFICATION:
    This is not about old games being relaunched, but rather a NEW WOW ... which is why it was always referred to as WoW 2 1.x
    I have a question for you mr. OP.
    What would you suggest as a backdrop for a wow 2? Blizz would have to create a WHOLE new world, mobs, classes..etc for a wow 2. Personally, i think if they are having this many problems and fails with wow *Thank you Ion for admiting that class pruning went too far...* a WoW 2 won't be a possibility. It worked with EQ1 and 2 but doubt with wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    I've said it before. There is nothing they could do to make WoW2 that they can't do with a WoW expansion. Spending the resources to create an entirely new MMO is not going to happen in 2019.
    Exactly, they would have to come up with something completely new. Even classes. That simply won't happen.
    If crappy expacs are coming out, aint no way a sequel is happening. ;(

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    I think classic+ would be more likely than wow 2, but I'd be interested in either.
    Fast forward about 6-7 years. When blizz releases classic 2 and current classic is now in MoP. :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    I want a skill tree like this:

You cant have talent trees like this on a multi-player game like wow. Wow is like a sports league and every player has to fit a specific role. It would all end up cookie cutter anyways. It is great for a single player game where you don't have to conform to roles on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Totally disagree. I would not want any version of wow without dungeon or raid finder. I want to spend my time running dungeons and raids, not organizing groups to run dungeons or raids. I also don't want the class design from WOTLK on back. I would prefer the class design of MOP or WOD with the addition of demon hunters. I would also prefer to keep catch up gear options in the game also.

I would not prefer they spend time on a new game engine for WOW 2. I would rather they just make a better expansion. WOW is an online multiplayer game. If they made a game with better graphics, it would be harder for it to run well online.
    You got it almost right, except new engine is needed because Look&feel is really important. No matter how good expansion will be, everything will still feel the same. For reasons i have posted in this thread few times.

If they make a WoW 2 they better get rid of the stupid and obsolete tab-targetting system and make the game more dynamic and based on actual skill. Let us play like, I don't know, Devil May Cry.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Do you feel the same way about star wars or maybe star trek? I am old enough to remember watching sw when it was just sw. It was the greatest thing ever. I was let down by the prequels and got angry. The third trilogy, I think, are pretty good. What has changed is me. I think Blizzard could do a WoW 2 but most WoW veterans won't like it. People have changed that is why. It will not have the same impact.
    obviously the new SW movies have no soul, you have proven my point for me good sir

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    no .
    Elaborate, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Hey can we ban threads like this?
    You could always start your own forum, if you dislike the questions posed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Or.... Why not just make a new expac completely different than anything we've ever had. Because If I can't export my Wow Main to said "Wow 2" I've no interest.
    World of StarCraft? (yeah, yeah, Titans.. BS .. World of StarCraft!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinky View Post
    Yes there are plenty of exciting things they could do around this idea. Leagues, Fresh start servers etc. I wish they would put a dev team onto this and think of a way to monetise the idea in a fair way to make it appeal to a lot of the players that have left due to recent content. The classic launch is a step in the right direction, I just hope they continue to come up with different things after that which don't follow the current retail release pattern. Blizzard have a massive amount of content and a largely untapped player pool that no longer play retail.
    Some of us hope, as you do.