Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Stat squish felt good to me, so by your own logic it should have been done. It also had a tangible benefit for the GUI, so i guess my side wins because it is opinion AND a tiny benefit to the game.
    it wasnt my logic though... it was yours... also how was it a benefit to the gui?

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    maybe they should just remove levels entirely since scaling mobs make leveling pointless anyways...

remove stats too...

just make this barby doll simulator....
    On the off chance you aren't a troll, I'm not saying remove (or don't add) power rewards. We definitely need those too and I think we should get a couple more permanent talent rows. Players need to accept that they can't give us new permanent abilities every expansion though, something is going to get pruned at some point down the line.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    It would only solve "empty levels" as you put it. It doesn't solve the lack of rewards.

Like I said, the only benefit would be the optics for new players. I can understand the argument that a new player coming in may be intimidated by 120+ levels (though I've yet to actually meet one that is).

A current player will realize that even if there's only 60 levels, it will still take the same amount of time to get a reward as it does with 120 levels (without a significant exp squish). That is the issue. I don't know how to explain it any simpler than that, maybe it's a language barrier thing.

A level squish without an exp squish is pointless because the current rewards (abilities and talents) still take the same amount of time to earn.
    A level squish with an exp squish without proper compensation invalidates weeks/months of time investment.

Cosmetic rewards are the only rewards that can be added in the long term because they never need to be pruned or squished.
    Something similar to heritage armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberfest99 View Post
    If you support players getting a free 110 when they buy the latest xpac or if you support heirloom gear that grants bonus XP, you already have voiced your support for a level squish.
    youll have to explain that... those would support significantly reduced xp needed to level not the outright remove of levels already earned...

it wasnt my logic though... it was yours... also how was it a benefit to the gui?
    Tiny numbers are easier to fit on the GUI.

It is by no means a gamebreaking change, but facts always trump personal opinion in discussion.

If you support players getting a free 110 when they buy the latest xpac or if you support heirloom gear that grants bonus XP, you already have voiced your support for a level squish.

I guess it's easier to blame players, than the devs.

On the off chance you aren't a troll, I'm not saying remove (or don't add) power rewards. We definitely need those too and I think we should get a couple more permanent talent rows. Players need to accept that they can't give us new permanent abilities every expansion though, something is going to get pruned at some point down the line.
    theyve already pruned many things... and imo it made the game worse for it.

if they dont want to add new things fair enough i just wish theyd stop removing things and put back what was removed...

Maybe give us the option to play classes as they were during each expansion and let us choose each one. would add a lot more variety to the game.

if they dont want to add new things fair enough i just wish theyd stop removing things and put back what was removed...

Maybe give us the option to play classes as they were during each expansion and let us choose each one. would add a lot more variety to the game.
    And how would this work with balancing?

Would players who chose to play DK as it was in Wrath get a massive DPS legup over everyone else, especially in PvP?
    If you make it weaker compared to how it was, then you only get more whiners complaining on how their pet spec is not being looked after properly.

There is also the problem of the Talent revamp in MoP. Would the classes have completely different talent setups?
    Or would they have custom stats on gear? Would my MM suddenly get Multistrike on gear if i wanted to play it like it was in WoD?

Nope, just made a mage to double check. Spell ranks are still a thing.
    Fire blast is a level 3 spell. At 18 it become a guranteed crit and at level 48 it becomes a spell with 2 charges.
    Blizzard is learned at level 18, it gains an upgrade at level 63.

Spell ranks while levelling is totally a thing.

(Yes, there are more spell ranks than just 1 for each spec.)
    The ones I was talking about happened for every class, you found a couple but they are few and far between, like paladin appears to have NONE of these style of things, neither does warlock, so apparently mage (and maybe another one or two) are just special.

They need to turn this into an entire system for everyone and it would help a lot with leveling feeling dull.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. There is the bad side of speed running things. You get to miss the fine details when you zoom through the process. When you are in a hurry leveling up the chances of not finishing a storyline tied to a zone is really high, its thrown by the wayside and become trivial.

I know there are those who wants to experience a zone they left out but at max level or at nearly max level and they decided to finish it or experience what the zone has entirely to offer, the exp then is just turned to gold and the rewards then becomes meaningless statwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    The ones I was talking about happened for every class, you found a couple but they are few and far between, like paladin appears to have NONE of these style of things, neither does warlock, so apparently mage (and maybe another one or two) are just special.

They need to turn this into an entire system for everyone and it would help a lot with leveling feeling dull.
    Moving the goalposts is not helping you here.

I said tehre were still spell ranks in arguing with your claim there was none. I found some, several in fact. You cannot now backtrack and claim you always meant every single class and spec having several.
    I am also not confident that if i checked a paladin, i would find it to have no spell ranks as you claim. If you press the issue, i will test it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Check out my 9.0 Dynamic Talent. It might interest you as it was one of the major consideration of my proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    Something similar to heritage armor.
    Basically, but smaller and spread out through the leveling process instead of only at or near max.

The ideal system in my opinion would be each class getting class themed cosmetic rewards between power rewards. These can be titles, pets, armor/weapons, and maybe even a mount. At the same time, you've got an "account level" similar to honor level that adds up all of the levels you've earned on your b.net account. Boosted levels grant no progress and lower levels grant less progress (so you can't game the system). Rewards for your account level are generic (not class themed) and would come quickly at first, getting regular rewards through the process of leveling 13 characters to max (one of every class, assuming we get a new class soon). After that, the rewards become much more sparse and are really only there for people that like to level crazy amounts of characters.

It would only solve "empty levels" as you put it. It doesn't solve the lack of rewards.

Like I said, the only benefit would be the optics for new players. I can understand the argument that a new player coming in may be intimidated by 120+ levels (though I've yet to actually meet one that is).

A current player will realize that even if there's only 60 levels, it will still take the same amount of time to get a reward as it does with 120 levels (without a significant exp squish). That is the issue. I don't know how to explain it any simpler than that, maybe it's a language barrier thing.

A level squish without an exp squish is pointless because the current rewards (abilities and talents) still take the same amount of time to earn.
    A level squish with an exp squish without proper compensation invalidates weeks/months of time investment.

Cosmetic rewards are the only rewards that can be added in the long term because they never need to be pruned or squished.
    If they squish the levels, they have to restructure gear rewards, talents at least to some extent, everything.
    Leveling is fairly fast nowadays, I don't think anyone would hang up on how often they get rewards - not on a micro level, like someone starts to count quests between rewards... rewards just need to be better than the ones they got before, and well structured, so you don't get 3 pairs of gloves one after another with a slightly better ilevel and stat, but you get a pair of gloves first, then belt, then boots etc.

Adjusting how much time it takes to level from 1 to max is another thing, they could slightly nerf it, because if I remember correctly we didn't have a leveling xp nerf from WoD to BfA as of yet. Those still should/could be tweaked with the level squish.
    But if they do it right, I believe it will have more pros than cons. Or neutral outcomes.
    Yeah the questing experience is boring, but that has nothing to do with playerlevels, and if you ask 5 person about what they think is fun you will get 6 different, contradicting answers.

And how would this work with balancing?

Would players who chose to play DK as it was in Wrath get a massive DPS legup over everyone else, especially in PvP?
    If you make it weaker compared to how it was, then you only get more whiners complaining on how their pet spec is not being looked after properly.

There is also the problem of the Talent revamp in MoP. Would the classes have completely different talent setups?
    Or would they have custom stats on gear? Would my MM suddenly get Multistrike on gear if i wanted to play it like it was in WoD?
    dunno how it would work with balancing, not really concerned with balancing

IMO if it was pre cata it would have the old talent trees and if it was after it would have the new ones.

Though stats wise it would probably not work right since stats are completely different now

if they cant be exactly like they were in the past id like teh option to have the playstyle they had in the past (ie spells and rotations and specs). if they did that they could balance them using current stats.

In fact, i am going to shoot down this argument right now.

Retribution has spell ranks for both Crusader strike and Judgment.
    Holy additionally has it for Blessing of Sacrifice.
    Protection has a spell rank on Divine shield.

What is next, are you going to argue that you meant every spec had at least 4? That every spell had a spell rank?

Level squish isn't a tool to simplify the game for casuals. It's a tool to make the leveling experience feel more meaningful. The current system is designed to rush you through levels 1 to 110 as fast as possible so you can get to the current content. Most of the time you gain a level the only change is a minor increase to base stats. You may need to gain 10 to 20 levels to even feel a difference in your characters power. If they were to squish the max level from 120 down to 40 each level would roughly feel 3x stronger than it does currently. Imagine if 120 was swished down to 20 and then the new expansion brought characters up to 25. That 1 to 20 experience could feel much more impactful than the current 1 to 120 experience. I'd use level 1 to 2 as a tutorial and then send players to the zone of their choice (from vanilla to BfA) to level 2-20 before hitting the new stuff at 25.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's not wrong... and they don't need to add abilities every level, or even every other level. They had a good thing the started with WoD with the traits that they ditched immediately that could have helped then a lot with leveling feeling more rewarding.

Like when you get Avenger's shield it only hits 3 targets and then you get a trait that lets it hit 5. Things like that could spice up leveling a LOT.
    Not to bring it up again but a lot of skills in XIV do a similar thing. Where at Rank 1 it'll have a 2 second cast and do damage, then Rank 2 it gains some kind of extra effect, then Rank 3 it becomes instant cast...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Not to bring it up again but a lot of skills in XIV do a similar thing. Where at Rank 1 it'll have a 2 second cast and do damage, then Rank 2 it gains some kind of extra effect, then Rank 3 it becomes instant cast...
    As i pointed out above, this is already in game. Not for every spell. But from what i have seen so far, every class has at least a few abilities like this.
    Suppose it just goes to show how little the forums actually know about the thing they are supposedly so intimately familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I know this is a loot based game, but I don't think loot, or talents (or the lack of them) is the problem that a level squish is addressing.

I think they're seeing allied races not performing like they'd hoped. Survey says: "I ain't leveling from level 20 AGAIN, F DAT." Leveling has been an issue for a while, and Chilton and Hazzacostas ignoring it for so long has made it an almost-crisis.

But they won't nut up and do what's really needed - remove large chunks of old content. So, they make the level cap 60 again - there's still 15 years of content to slog through.
    Imagine you wanted to watch the last season of Lost again. But you had to start from season 1, and watch every season, until Netflix unlocks the final season. Yeah. You can imagine the reaction. The same one that's getting pretty common with WoW players - "OMG ZANDALAR....I have to WHAT?"

Like a lot of their fixes, a level squish is an illusion of a fix, because the mountain of content is still there. Because they don't do real fixes, The World Of Hazzcostascraft is all about illusions of solutions. A level fix is the easiest one. It's just numbers. God knows the WoW teams have always taken the path of least resistance.

The hard fix is making hard choices, like taking everything from vanilla through Wrath, and throwing that on Classic servers, and starting players at what was level 80. Or getting rid of player levels, because they're meaningless now, gear level is the only one that really matters. Paragon is a system that works - hey, they've copied Diablo III extensively already, why not paragons? Isn't reputation pretty much a Paragon system anyway?

But no, they need the illusion that WoW is populated and healthy at all 120 levels, even though most people know anything before 120 is to be gotten through as fast as possible, and it's not like the devs don't like the income from selling boosts, either. So a level squish won't really accomplish much, other than confuse players even more than they are now, when they leave the current patch content. Because in the end, that's the only content the devs seem to care about these days. They've spent 15 years dropping old content immediately, and it's come back to bite them on the ass, hard.

They could make the hardest choice of all, and admit WoW is so big now, so bloated, it's unworkable, and it's time for a fresh start. But I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

So this is what you get. Meaningless "squishes", that don't address the core problems. Level squishes will be the same as the others they've done - confusing, and then so common, nobody pays attention, and the problems they were meant to address are still there. But hey, they care, they tried, right? Illusion.

And, I just saw that an Ex CM is implying on Twitter that this survey wasn't even generated by the devs, so...could be all bullshit, anyway. Which means I just wrote all that for nothing...and if anything describes my MMO-C career better, I haven't seen it.

Now I'm depressed. I need coffee. Bah. GET OUT OF MAH BRAIN WOW. Why can't I quit you?
    They can't exactly whip out a whole new world (I mean Azeroth) in 1-2 years. Of course we are heading to the point where the old world has to reborn or something, but if the old world reborns, wouldn't that involve a level squish? i know for sure paragon levels are not for me, that would mean the end of wow for me. If anything, THAT is illusion of progression. You still would have an arbitary number after your player level, because others and you too have to distinguish a paragon level 12 player from a paragon level 122 player. I'm so tired of rental progression systems that are illusions of real, tangible systems.

Edit: remaking the old world has it's own problems. Creating a new world with new rules is easy, players usually accept it. redoing something players love and have been loving for a decade on the other hand? Just look at cataclysm. How many more players can they afford/willing to lose for "idiotic" reasons like how barrens looks like after deathwing vs. before? So losing players that are not flexible at all when it comes to Azeroth. Azeroth is Azeroth is Azeroth. Period. :/ Even if they present the best leveling experience (which would require something new to questing, yeah, good luck with that), with the most beautiful graphics, they would probably still get backlash. it's basically setting themselves up to failure.
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-06-14 at 09:30 PM.