Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What if the boosting-mindset infects Classic?

This is something I’ve been thinking about lately. Everyone is hyped up for classic because we all want to go back to what it once was, but we’re not fools. We know that in current retail everything gets sold for a price. Loot runs, mythic runs, curve achievements, leveling and mounts. The list is endless.

Some might say this is funded through the existance of WoW tokens, but every game has it’s own economy and when the mindset is there, people will pay. Gaming has changed, and if this becomes a thing in classic I would be so dissapointed in the playerbase.

One of my biggest fears is that this will ruin Classic, not because I care about how others get their loot, but because it changes the approach to the game and for that reason also the community on its own.

Edit: To everyone saying it already happened in Vanilla: true, but it's about the mindset. Some people bought a boost back then because a friend knew a guy who knew a guy. It wasn't the standard "Oh I'm max level, just a few boosts and I'm ready to raid." That is the difference I am talking about. Boosting was concidered shady and embarassing, not the regular way of doing things.
    Last edited by Zoukan; 2019-06-03 at 08:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hate to disappoint, but people sold raid spots in vanllla as well. It's nothing new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoukan View Post
    This is something I’ve been thinking about lately. Everyone is hyped up for classic because we all want to go back to what it once was, but we’re not fools. We know that in current retail everything gets sold for a price. Loot runs, mythic runs, curve achievements, leveling and mounts. The list is endless.

Some might say this is funded through the existance of WoW tokens, but every game has it’s own economy and when the mindset is there, people will pay. Gaming has changed, and if this becomes a thing in classic I would be so dissapointed in the playerbase.

One of my biggest fears is that this will ruin Classic, not because I care about how others get their loot, but because it changes the approach to the game and for that reason also the community on its own.
    well duh

i only hope you are not naive to think that people wont be selling stuff like "WTS MC attuenement boost for 200k-500k gold in retail"

because of they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Hate to disappoint, but people sold raid spots in vanllla as well. It's nothing new.
    i love how naive people are about this, like the only bosses that weren't sold as boosts was the last half of naxx and c'thun/ouro.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funded through the existence of WoW itself. People used to boost each other and sell shit since vanilla, you probably just didn't understand it back then if you've played vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Doubt there will be alot of boosting tbh.
    Dungeons are rather simple, so paying for boosting in those is a waste (might be some twinks pay high-lvls for a boost).

Boosting in raids? Perhaps some rich dude got enough gold for one naxx run late in classic, but before that? Highly doubt it.
    Gold is tedious to farm, and those who have time to farm alot of it, also have time to raid. You cant just buy a token for 20 bucks and pay with it.

EDIT: Raid spots might be sold as stated above.

Used to sell low level dungeon boosts all the time, mob tag boosts, righteous orb runs through strat, UBRS key unlocks, raid spots, attunements.

It's not a new concept.

10+ Year Old Account

People already did it back then, and it'll be worse now. Life. If there is a customer, there is a service. Just wait, If tokens won't be sold on Classic, then you'll see gold sellers more often again, though, luckily without the hideous hacking.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boosts existed in Vanilla. Boosts have existed in just about every multiplayer game for as far back as I can remember. Boosts will exist in Classic.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

I would point out that there is a weakness in 2019 WOW economy that was absent in 2004. WoW Token. A perfectly legit and especially legal way to convert dollars to gold without giving your credit card number to people who will purchase hardcore yaoi furry doujinshis with it.

(Yes, in 2006-2007, I ''bought gold'' in a way that struck me as less shady-TCG cards. Got the gorgeous some of 10k gold for one pet…)

Its all gona work as intended

Gold is gonna be tedious to farm, you are right, but when you think about the fact that most of us were kids back then with no credit card (i had to ask for gametime money) and now we are all grown ups maybe with jobs and some money, some people might actually buy gold and buy boosts ingame. People to do this in BFA for tokens why wouldnt some of them buy gold ?

Everyone was selling boosts in vanilla anyways, nothing new about that, but i dont think its such a big deal as it is on retail , when people link you fake achivments from bought boosts.

It is going to happen. But it also isn't as valuable to boost in classic so it will be rarer. You will receive no title that helps you later get into pugs. Gear is also a much rarer thing. It is realistic to believe is you walk into a BFA raid with a stack of coins that between gear feeding and rolls you will walk out with 3+ items easily on a really UNLUCKY run? In classic if you clear MC you would be insanely LUCKY to score 3+ items on a run. Not to mention some of the best items will likely still be on reseve for the guild as well. A boosting pug won't be privy to thunderfury bindings for example or a few other items that remain damn near BiS until later AQ40.

The GDKP BWL runs we did back then were a really nice source of income, being #1 guild on a large PvE realm, plenty applicants willing to pay good gold.
    If anything, raid gear boost run were more valuable then because there were absolutely no alternate sources of gear on those levels.

That shit was invented already in Classic. Raid spots were already sold in Classic. Probably even dungeon spots to the harder ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    This /10char

I plan on charging gold for dungeon runs once I am maxxed out.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endorus View Post
    Used to sell low level dungeon boosts all the time, mob tag boosts, righteous orb runs through strat, UBRS key unlocks, raid spots, attunements.

It's not a new concept.
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about UBRS keys. I remember being in UBRS groups where we'd all put money together, just to pay someone who had the key to come out and open the door for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    The GDKP BWL runs we did back then were a really nice source of income, being #1 guild on a large PvE realm, plenty applicants willing to pay good gold.
    If anything, raid gear boost run were more valuable then because there were absolutely no alternate sources of gear on those levels.
    I could see GDKP runs being popular. But it is less a boost and more people buying in and bidding on items.

10+ Year Old Account
    It started in vanilla soooo, get ready to have it in classic too.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..