1. #1

    To all " Classic is old, been there done chat people"

    I've been following the conversation and i just want to put my own spoon in the soup. I Dont get the argument about Classic being old. Classic is partly about nostalgia yes, but only minorly. People STILL play tetris, chess, doom, etc, even competitively. Classic is young as hell compared to those games.

    Its the feel why ppl want the certain games. Plain and simple not anything else. If you love even tetris you dont say "been there done that" and that game is old as hell.. You just play for the love of it.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Denizly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rift of Aln
    Posts
    990
    As far as I've seen the "old" argument is only used by those who are comparing classic to other games (not retail tho). It's just a dumb argument that holds no ground tbh.

    Trust me the people who're gonna play it don't give a rat's ass about it's age.
    Last edited by Denizly; 2019-06-13 at 08:02 AM.

  3. #3
    Dividing a community isn't all that good, maybe people try to defend retail vs classic, and don't want the retail version to have even less people then it has now. Guilds do struggle to recruit, and classic isn't gonna make this any easier.
    For me, I think it's healthy for wow as a whole to have the option to go classic when we have a terrible expansion like now, and go back to retail if it's a sweet expansion.

    So don't get hung up on the arguments so much. Both version of the game is gonna have a healthy pool of players

  4. #4
    Yeah true, maybe i just hang up too much on certain arguments.. I also think its awesome, that we will have 2 versions of the game.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Dividing a community isn't all that good, maybe people try to defend retail vs classic, and don't want the retail version to have even less people then it has now. Guilds do struggle to recruit, and classic isn't gonna make this any easier.
    For me, I think it's healthy for wow as a whole to have the option to go classic when we have a terrible expansion like now, and go back to retail if it's a sweet expansion.

    So don't get hung up on the arguments so much. Both version of the game is gonna have a healthy pool of players
    How can you divide a community if you don't even have one? I think most of the people intending to play classic over a longer period of time aren't even subscribed to WoW at the moment. You should also consider that if people come back for classic they will most likely also check out what's currently going on in BFA. If you have an active sub you can play both so it's basically win-win...

    It's quite possible that classic will help actually rebuild a real community in WoW which could have an effect on BFA and beyond as well because these communities could then play on the current expansions actively as well...

    At the moment BFA is only bleeding subs because a lot of people were unhappy with what BFA delivered. 8.2 won't help recover anything because there aren't changes that would affect the core elements of the expansion very much. Due to how long it already takes them to release 8.2 in the first place I'm pretty sure you will only see one more major patch before 9.0. And let me tell you also that 9.0 must do some pretty radical stuff to convince people to come back. WoW retail won't survive another expansion like BFA.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihti123 View Post
    I've been following the conversation and i just want to put my own spoon in the soup. I Dont get the argument about Classic being old. Classic is partly about nostalgia yes, but only minorly. People STILL play tetris, chess, doom, etc, even competitively. Classic is young as hell compared to those games.

    Its the feel why ppl want the certain games. Plain and simple not anything else. If you love even tetris you dont say "been there done that" and that game is old as hell.. You just play for the love of it.
    Classic is old yes, but currently there don’t exist any games on the market equivalent to what Classic offered. And people are asking for that type of game. So in the end the age doesn’t matter.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihti123 View Post
    I've been following the conversation and i just want to put my own spoon in the soup. I Dont get the argument about Classic being old. Classic is partly about nostalgia yes, but only minorly. People STILL play tetris, chess, doom, etc, even competitively. Classic is young as hell compared to those games.

    Its the feel why ppl want the certain games. Plain and simple not anything else. If you love even tetris you dont say "been there done that" and that game is old as hell.. You just play for the love of it.
    The best thing that WoW 1.0 can do for Blizzard is add enough users to motivate them to create World of Warcraft 2. New hardware runs WoW like crap, and it looks like crap. Tetris aged well, WoW did not.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    How can you divide a community if you don't even have one? I think most of the people intending to play classic over a longer period of time aren't even subscribed to WoW at the moment. You should also consider that if people come back for classic they will most likely also check out what's currently going on in BFA. If you have an active sub you can play both so it's basically win-win...

    It's quite possible that classic will help actually rebuild a real community in WoW which could have an effect on BFA and beyond as well because these communities could then play on the current expansions actively as well...

    At the moment BFA is only bleeding subs because a lot of people were unhappy with what BFA delivered. 8.2 won't help recover anything because there aren't changes that would affect the core elements of the expansion very much. Due to how long it already takes them to release 8.2 in the first place I'm pretty sure you will only see one more major patch before 9.0. And let me tell you also that 9.0 must do some pretty radical stuff to convince people to come back. WoW retail won't survive another expansion like BFA.
    I'm not so sure about that. If you play BfA now, likely you may have a friendslist as I have, which has no(or fewer) players online. I've been asked in discord whether I wanna come play classic with those who do not play now. So the returning players might convince some of the active BfA players to come join them, and for me, this is the case.
    And then we have those who are on the fence or summerleave, that is deciding or not to come back at 8.2 when summerbreak is over. Why not just try classic instead. Maybe some has time for both as you say, but not my friends at least.

  9. #9
    It's interesting, really. I've never seen ANY other game get so many people doomsaying and ass-pulling any excuse they can as to why the game is bad and will """fail""".

    Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    You should also consider that if people come back for classic they will most likely also check out what's currently going on in BFA.
    Except no, because most people are specifically not playing WoW *BECAUSE* of how awful retail is, with BFA being the biggest dumpster fire thus far.

    If someone is coming back specifically for Classic, they will most likely NOT play BFA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LFR saved raiding
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    LFR is not really easy. I would say it's a lot harder thant Mythic Dungeons
    get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Except no, because most people are specifically not playing WoW *BECAUSE* of how awful retail is, with BFA being the biggest dumpster fire thus far.

    If someone is coming back specifically for Classic, they will most likely NOT play BFA.
    Hey, I'm not subbed to WoW at the moment and will only come back for Classic. Doesn't mean I won't at least take a look at the "changes" they did in current WoW. I'm pretty sure there are others that will do the same. Whether I like the new content or not is a WHOLE different story.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Dividing a community isn't all that good, maybe people try to defend retail vs classic, and don't want the retail version to have even less people then it has now. Guilds do struggle to recruit, and classic isn't gonna make this any easier.
    For me, I think it's healthy for wow as a whole to have the option to go classic when we have a terrible expansion like now, and go back to retail if it's a sweet expansion.

    So don't get hung up on the arguments so much. Both version of the game is gonna have a healthy pool of players
    But there's a sizeable chunk of players who just don't like the game retail has become. We're not divided. We're just not interested. We're not being taken out of the "retail pool". We were never in it. We're in the "waiting for Classic" or "private server" pools. They're totally different games at this point.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It's interesting, really. I've never seen ANY other game get so many people doomsaying and ass-pulling any excuse they can as to why the game is bad and will """fail""".
    Except Regular wow

  13. #13
    the cool thing is you can pay for on subscription and, oh i dunno, enjoy either version!

  14. #14
    I am currently not subscribed to WoW and will only be coming back to play Classic. I do not even have a desire to jump onto the current game and see what they have going on. I'd rather put the time into Classic, whether that be farming or leveling an alt.

  15. #15
    MMOs in general feel old and yet vanilla still holds up well within the genre.

  16. #16
    Something very important that I think a lot of posters seem to forget is that in order to play BfA or whatever current expansion, you have to buy it (and it is very expensive). The subscription alone won't give you access. BfA players get access to both, Classic players not necessarily.

    I am coming back for Classic, but after getting bored and lasting less than a month in WoD and Legion, I will not risk purchasing BfA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •