Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    They probably do but they don't care. Some people are just disgusting and don't see bathing as a necessity.

You get used to smells. If you always have some odor of sweat you'll get used to it and never really realize it.

When I started working as a garbage collector I could smell all the bad stuffs. Now I rarely smell anything except some really bad smelling crap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_fatigue
    honk honk

@Old Man Arthur

Ah, enter the intrepid sock brigade! Now for the part that will really blow your mind ... considering that most of y'all aren't even on the same continent as me, it would be a lot quicker and easier for me to drop by a local bar.

Do keep trying. For an extra tip though, you've got to work on your lines ... attempting to insult creepy old guys known to date girls 20 years younger than they are by calling them creepy old men lacks zing. Damn it, next thing I know, you'll rip out the big guns and call me bald. My feelings would be wounded.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I'm familiar with it, it just doesn't make much of a joke. It's possibly because I sometimes teach that age group and while their attempts to sort the world out often leave me facepalming and wishing for a beer -- I prefer to see them make the attempt. She's not working in her first language (and probably not really even in her second) and she's in between Thai and Swedish culture. You never asked a question at that age that makes you wince when you look back? Is there really any point to continuing to push the same button from thread to thread?
    They are both on ignore either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Otherwise fully functional but smells of sweat and other bodily fluids. How can they be so oblivious? They've got to smell it themselves when you can smell them coming to the register in the store several meters away from them.
    They're used to it so they stop noticing it. For them, the smell has built so gradually so a new normal has been made all the time.

You can compare it to going into a room with a tiny constant sound in it. Eventually, your brain will ignore the sound due to constant exposure to it.

It's the same reason people are unable to register they smell bad. They've been constantly exposed to it and their brains thus ignore it.

This is combined with that your own smell is always less severe to yourself than it is to others. You're better at tolerating your own farts than other people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Judging by your posts, you must be fun at parties.
    really, really not

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's called being desensitized to the smell, they don't realize it.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess people from India (at least the men I know all do) have bromhidrosis then? Because damn, they are among the worst offenders that I know of for bad odor. I stink but only a bit and it's from being overweight, I sweat easily, but at least I clean myself.
    I mean, some cultures and people are worse than others. If you dont shower for a week, then of course you'll smell like shit.

However, there are plenty of people with this disorder who showers every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and they still start smelling like sweat after a few hours.
    Even without any activity at all.

I have a variant of hyperhidrosis which varies from me not sweating at all, to sweating non-stop from the second I leave the shower, sometimes for hours. Its like my body thinks I'm sitting in a sauna and the sweatglands are working overtime in order to get rid of heat thats not there. And this is something I cant control at all. I can be laying on the couch sweating like crazy, or i could be in the gym and not sweat at all. Its as if a drunk cat is running over the controlboard, pressing random buttons.

But ye, as you all know, sweat will start to smell after a while. I do however make sure to shower regularly so I dont end up like a stinkbomb. I know how bad some people are so I'm extremely self-aware when it comes to it, but sometimes you dont have the option to shower, and that sucks for both you and the people around you.

Anyways, OP asked for reasons why. This could be one of them.
    You obviously have hillbillies who showers 2 times a month, but keep in mind that this is something 3% of the population has to some degree, and if you think about how many people you meet\see every day, be it in grocerystores or at work, you're bound to meet someone who suffers from this on a daily basis.

The Unstoppable Force Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    If your brain focused your sense of smell on your own body odor, what would there be left to smell potential danger/food? We get used so that we'll be able to smell other, more important things.

And, some people are just filthy and don't give a fuck about it.
    Classic WoW is 10% gameplay and 90% talking about "how much better it is than Retail WoW" in in-game chats, Youtube Videos, Twitch or ALL the forums.

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    I mean, some cultures and people are worse than others. If you dont shower for a week, then of course you'll smell like shit.

However, there are plenty of people with this disorder who showers every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and they still start smelling like sweat after a few hours.
    Even without any activity at all.

I have a variant of hyperhidrosis which varies from me not sweating at all, to sweating non-stop from the second I leave the shower, sometimes for hours. Its like my body thinks I'm sitting in a sauna and the sweatglands are working overtime in order to get rid of heat thats not there. And this is something I cant control at all. I can be laying on the couch sweating like crazy, or i could be in the gym and not sweat at all. Its as if a drunk cat is running over the controlboard, pressing random buttons.

But ye, as you all know, sweat will start to smell after a while. I do however make sure to shower regularly so I dont end up like a stinkbomb. I know how bad some people are so I'm extremely self-aware when it comes to it, but sometimes you dont have the option to shower, and that sucks for both you and the people around you.

Anyways, OP asked for reasons why. This could be one of them.
    You obviously have hillbillies who showers 2 times a month, but keep in mind that this is something 3% of the population has to some degree, and if you think about how many people you meet\see every day, be it in grocerystores or at work, you're bound to meet someone who suffers from this on a daily basis.
    Also, what you eat does determine how much body odor you produce. I imagine that much like curry always permeating the walls of the folks next door, it might permeate their skin too

Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

I somehow knew it was you....anyway I'm guessing hygiene may not be a major concern for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Also, what you eat does determine how much body odor you produce. I imagine that much like curry always permeating the walls of the folks next door, it might permeate their skin too
    Well, some foods can make it worse, but you dont simply produce body odor. Bad smells usually comes from microbial activity in the sweat that comes from your apocrine sweat glands, which is the more oily sweat mostly found in your armpits, crotch etc. Those sweatglands are inactive most of the time, unless you start feeling nervous\having anxiety etc (Nervous sweating). Sweat is pretty much odorless before that happens, and most of your sweat coming from the eccrine sweat glands (normal, thermoregulating sweat - bodywide) stays odorless when it dries.

Basically, the odor comes from bacterial activity mostly found in your armpits, crotch etc, which builds up over time and should be fairly easy to keep clean for normal people. If you have Bromhidrosis, which is unnatural activity in the apocrine sweat glands, you will have a hard time keeping the BO in check, as you'll always have bacterial activity in\under your armpits etc.

Everyone smells I think. It's fine

Either they smell like 5 days old sweat, or 5 layers of cologne/perfume.
    Worked with a dude that used the same shirt for 5 days a week during the hottest summer we had in decades, to add on top he smoke, smoke inside the cab of the digger with windows closed, i couldt stand being downwind of him.
    R I P old signature.

Otherwise fully functional but smells of sweat and other bodily fluids. How can they be so oblivious? They've got to smell it themselves when you can smell them coming to the register in the store several meters away from them.
    All people, yourself included, get used to certain sights, sounds, smells and tastes. We ignore the common, and focus on the uncommon and or out of place. What you are noticing is what is uncommon to you, but wholly common to whomever you are complaining about.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Some countries still do not use deodorant commonly and they get used to it. France used to be like that and bits of Russia/Eastern Europe still are. Most the time it is not about being dirty, it is just a lack of deodorant.

Lovely. I doubt they realise.

Unless they have some issues with smelling sense, they do. They just don't care.

I just got off work, it's like 30 degrees heat, sun blasting, soon i'll be at grocery store n stink up the line BWEEEHEEHEHEHEHEHEE!!!!!

Maybe ur mad not everyone has got time to shower right after doing werk?..

What bothers me is people who do have time n don't do anything... worst is when ur in a cinema n stuck with those gutter rats..

I basically get rashes sometimes from using under arm deodorant that are super painful, when that happens I have to go a good 3-4 days without any deodorant but that seems like not a me problem.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

- Smoke weed every day!

Somewhere that is probably not inside a tank
    Everyone has a smell. Ask any dog. Since your own smell is essentially background noise to your own nose, you don't smell yourself unless it is a variation from the normal. For instance, when I was in the military, after two to three weeks in the field in swamps and such, I stunk really bad, but I couldn't smell it. After I showered and cleaned up, I could notice that I smelled "clean" instead, because that was the sudden change. On the other hand after a workout or something you can notice that you stink, because again, it is a fairly sudden change. Smokers do not notice they smell like smoke, same for pretty much any smell. Your brain normalizes inputs that are constant. This is the same reason why you don't notice that your nose is in the middle of your field of vision.

So to answer the OPs question, people do not notice they smell when they smell routinely. They do notice when they smell occasionally.