Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why do people not realise they smell?

    Otherwise fully functional but smells of sweat and other bodily fluids. How can they be so oblivious? They've got to smell it themselves when you can smell them coming to the register in the store several meters away from them.

  2. #2
    They likely smell awful 24/7 so they're accustomed to it.

  3. #3
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    20,835
    Or they don't just give a fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Otherwise fully functional but smells of sweat and other bodily fluids. How can they be so oblivious? They've got to smell it themselves when you can smell them coming to the register in the store several meters away from them.
    Judging by your posts, you must be fun at parties.

  5. #5
    Pandaren Monk Ettan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kekistan
    Posts
    1,780
    Thing is they do smell it themselves, all the time.
    So much so it becomes oderless to them, prolonged exposure and you get used to anything.

  6. #6
    Same way I don't smell my parfum after a couple minutes I think.

  7. #7
    To a certain extent your brain filters out your own body odour, so it doesn't interfere w/ you smelling capabilities, unless you intentionally try to smell yourself or your clothes ofc. However, when you start noticing your body odour w/o doing so on purpose, it means that you pretty much reek.

    I just guess that some people's "filter" has a much higher threshold, so they don't notice it until it's way too late.

    And ofc I'm not talking about people who're just untidy or think that using more perfume is the same as taking a shower. Those are just disgusting.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by njams View Post
    Same way I don't smell my parfum after a couple minutes I think.
    This...we tend to get used to odors really quickly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    To a certain extent your brain filters out your own body odour, so it doesn't interfere w/ you smelling capabilities, unless you intentionally try to smell yourself or your clothes ofc. However, when you start noticing your body odour w/o doing so on purpose, it means that you pretty much reek.

    I just guess that some people's "filter" has a much higher threshold, so they don't notice it until it's way too late.

    And ofc I'm not talking about people who're just untidy or think that using more perfume is the same as taking a shower. Those are just disgusting.
    Also this, surprised people don't know this.

  9. #9
    Oh I am sure they are aware but if they stink like that then they're probably used to it and unsurprisingly once you get used to something it stops being a bother.

  10. #10
    I take a shower every morning, wash all the bits, use deodorant. Yet I know I reek like a trash can. No one says it because they're not douche bags. How do I know? My parents are douchebags and remind me every time I do anything near them that I smell unbelievably bad.

    What am I suppose to do? Take a shower every hour or carry a deodorant with me and apply it on hourly basis? No, I'm gonna do the best I can and if it isnt enough then too bad I guess. I cant work miracles.

    Oh right, I cant tell it myself ofc unless I've sweat a bit and smell inside my T-shirt or something and when I do that I'm extra aware that everyone in the room probably smells it as well.

  11. #11
    You adjust to the smells around you. They most likely smell it at first then the brain just turns it off and they don’t smell it anymore.

  12. #12
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    30
    yep, you get used to it. its like when you enter a smelling room, after some time you are used to it.
    fresh clothes, 1-2 showers a day and some decent fragrance and deo and you should be good to go, besides that your weight, bloodpressure and what you EAT is very important.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
    I take a shower every morning, wash all the bits, use deodorant. Yet I know I reek like a trash can. No one says it because they're not douche bags. How do I know? My parents are douchebags and remind me every time I do anything near them that I smell unbelievably bad.

    What am I suppose to do? Take a shower every hour or carry a deodorant with me and apply it on hourly basis? No, I'm gonna do the best I can and if it isnt enough then too bad I guess. I cant work miracles.

    Oh right, I cant tell it myself ofc unless I've sweat a bit and smell inside my T-shirt or something and when I do that I'm extra aware that everyone in the room probably smells it as well.
    Damn, that sucks. People also seem to forget that we are all different, even when it comes to how much your body odor smells and how quickly it accumulates. Some are just unlucky.

  14. #14
    Pigs smell pigs. It's normal for them

  15. #15
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    32,741
    Tell any dog owner that their dog stinks and they will deny it. Maybe not everyone, but everyone I have met so far.

    I have a guy in my office who brings this big old dog with him, and both have the dog stink on them. Hell, this guy also smokes, so people refuse to let him use their computer, because even the keyboard smells afterwards.

    Sooo...all of the reasons above...they don't notice, they don't care - but also it could be that YOUR sense of smell is overly sensitive.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Otherwise fully functional but smells of sweat and other bodily fluids. How can they be so oblivious? They've got to smell it themselves when you can smell them coming to the register in the store several meters away from them.
    Have you never put on perfume and noticed you don't really smell it after a few minutes?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Damn, that sucks. People also seem to forget that we are all different, even when it comes to how much your body odor smells and how quickly it accumulates. Some are just unlucky.
    And there's also genetic diseases. There's the fish odour syndrome, self-explanatory, there's another one that makes you smell like acetone and another one that makes you smell like faeces. And there's literally nothing a person can do about it.

    When I was in a kindergarten there's a kid that smelled like acetone, that's really rough.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
    I take a shower every morning, wash all the bits, use deodorant. Yet I know I reek like a trash can. No one says it because they're not douche bags. How do I know? My parents are douchebags and remind me every time I do anything near them that I smell unbelievably bad.

    What am I suppose to do? Take a shower every hour or carry a deodorant with me and apply it on hourly basis? No, I'm gonna do the best I can and if it isnt enough then too bad I guess. I cant work miracles.

    Oh right, I cant tell it myself ofc unless I've sweat a bit and smell inside my T-shirt or something and when I do that I'm extra aware that everyone in the room probably smells it as well.
    Sounds like an illness. Have you seen a doctor about it? Odor = Bacteria. When something smells strong or, well - bad, it's because of bacterias. Do you have any special diet? Or perhaps medicines you take? I for example love onions, but even the slightest bite of one, and my body starts to reek as its having an allergic reaction to it. :/

  19. #19
    I think it's more they don't care than they don't know. I can smell myself nearly instantly if I start overly sweating, or haven't showered for the day. Though I often have People compliment me on smelling nice, since I use Deodorant and often aftershave.

    I don't understand how People can be legitimately unaware of how they smell.

  20. #20
    It's the same as pooping. If you poop, it is unlikely you will smell the odor, because you are right next to the source and get used to it in a smooth manner. But if you enter the bathroom and someone just pooped right before you entered, it smells very clearly and strongly.

    The smell sense won't bother after a while, because it is only natural that the senses will mostly sense differences.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •