Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

layering = realm hopping on WOW BETA abuse

this is not a rant, infact i think it is good that a streamer that blizzard trusts has found a clever use of mechanics to show that layering is exactly what players suspected the abuse that would occur while others deny it

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...st_by_hopping/

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ayering/198059

I'm more surprised that there is even layering in that area in beta. The threshold must be pretty low still or they just have it on everywhere for the time being, who knows.

With live several weeks away I am not worried about silly things like this. Just turn off layering in the arena and outskirts and problem solved. Not like there are chests that are this important anywhere else (at least not that I remember).

Layering won't be on for STV. They are testing a lot of things because, well, it's a beta. But they've already say layering will only be used for the initial zones for the initial launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Layering won't be on for STV. They are testing a lot of things because, well, it's a beta. But they've already say layering will only be used for the initial zones for the initial launch.

no, layering covers the entire continent.

you are still thinking about what they said about phasing the starter zones. that is no longer the case

Quote Originally Posted by Antility View Post

you are still thinking about what they said about phasing the starter zones. that is no longer the case
    You're the one that is mistaken. The person you quoted is correct. Layering is in starting areas for initial rush at launch. There will not be layering or phasing in any other zones. And at some point in the near future after launch even that will go away as less people roll/re-roll into starting areas. This has been repeated numerous times by Blizzard.

Took all of 3 seconds to find the information:

How Long Will Layering Be Used?
    If you dislike layering, worry not. Layering will only be used for a couple of weeks or maybe a month at the start of Classic WoW, in order to balance the huge influx of players in the same zones. Once the situation reaches a controlled state, it will be completely disabled and realms will once more have one instance of themselves. Layering also will not happen after Phase 1, the importance of that being that Phase 2 is planned to introduce the World Boss Kazzak, with the Green Dragons being released later on, both of which would make layering a tool to disrupt the flow of World Bosses in Classic.
    Last edited by Bhanzai; 2019-06-13 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhanzai View Post
    Y
    Took all of 3 seconds to find the information:

How Long Will Layering Be Used?
    If you dislike layering, worry not. Layering will only be used for a couple of weeks or maybe a month at the start of Classic WoW, in order to balance the huge influx of players in the same zones. Once the situation reaches a controlled state, it will be completely disabled and realms will once more have one instance of themselves. Layering also will not happen after Phase 1, the importance of that being that Phase 2 is planned to introduce the World Boss Kazzak, with the Green Dragons being released later on, both of which would make layering a tool to disrupt the flow of World Bosses in Classic.
    Doesn't say anywhere there that it's only the start zones, if anything it sounds like any zones with high density. If you're gonna correct someone, at least link the right information.

My understanding was that sharding would only be enabled for starter zones. Do you have some sort of source indicating it'll cover the entire world? I want to read up on this.

How the hell do you realm hop when there's only one realm?? Or is he hopping from the PvP realm to the PvE realm? That should be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post
    this is not a rant, infact i think it is good that a streamer that blizzard trusts has found a clever use of mechanics to show that layering is exactly what players suspected the abuse that would occur while others deny it

Layering is working exactly like phasing. People phase in and out from the world (also mobs) like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    How the hell do you realm hop when there's only one realm?? Or is he hopping from the PvP realm to the PvE realm? That should be impossible.
    Hes layer-hopping. Not realm hopping. Its mostly the same.

Layering is used on the entire azeroth, its basically One realm split into several realms, like Stormrage-1, Stormrage-2 etc. You cant pick which layer you play om but can jump layers by being invited by a friend on another layer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annelie View Post
    Layering is working exactly like phasing. People phase in and out from the world (also mobs) like mad.
    No, the only time anything "phases" is when youre invited to a group on another layer.
    Last edited by Dahij; 2019-06-13 at 07:21 PM.

Well this isnt true vanilla. LADS GET THE TORCHES!

You are completely wrong. Not much else to say about the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post
    Layering is used on the entire azeroth, its basically One realm split into several realms, like Stormrage-1, Stormrage-2 etc. You cant pick which layer you play om but can jump layers by being invited by a friend on another layer..
    Right now in the BETA, yes. When Classic launches, no. And I know that because they've specifically said it in interviews.

There are reasons for BETA to keep an extremely small number of realms (2) and so I'm not surprised by their direction. And using more layering for the BETA makes sense so they can uncover bugs and problems that would be less likely to surface if they limited it as much in BETA as they will for the release.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now in the BETA, yes. When Classic launches, no. And I know that because they've specifically said it in interviews.

There are reasons for BETA to keep an extremely small number of realms (2) and so I'm not surprised by their direction. And using more layering for the BETA makes sense so they can uncover bugs and problems that would be less likely to surface if they limited it as much in BETA as they will for the release.
    Can you link an interview that says specifically layering will be used just for one zone, because the whole new name layering was explained as multiple fragments of a single server that eventually get merged. Layering was always said to be for the whole continent with only way to swap between layers through party or guild invites.

- - - Updated - - -

They've said in interviews that layering is different from phasing because you're stuck to your layer, if you don't join any group where the leader is on a different layer you'll stay on your layer just like a normal realm. Your mobs will never phase away or anything like that, only thing that would phase would be other players who join a group on your layer.

So like I said, at launch when people join realm abcd, they will be put in abcd-1, abcd-2.....abcd-n. What their algorithm is for how they choose which layer a player will belong to is probably unknown, so can't say more about that. After people have started playing, Player1 might be on abcd-1, Player2 on abcd-2 and Player3 on abcd-1 as well.

Ungrouped only Player1 and Player3 would see each other out in the world, but they would always see each other as long as they stay grouped within their layer. Mobs would not randomly disappear for them either, because their layer is essentially a realm of its own. Now, Player1 decides to join a group with Player2, Player1 will temporarily be put on abcd-2 and Player3 can no longer see him. As soon as Player1 leaves the group he'll be back in abcd-1 and again see all the same things that Player3 sees.

So basically, if you only group with people on your layer, the only thing that will phase are players joining groups on your layer or players on your layer joining groups on other layers. A part from that nothing will ever phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post

No, the only time anything "phases" is when youre invited to a group on another layer.
    That explains why mobs disapear randomly if you invite someone on the same layer as you (that you can see standing next to you) or mobs you are fighting alone just vanish mid fight for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Annelie View Post
    That explains why mobs disapear randomly if you invite someone on the same layer as you (that you can see standing next to you) or mobs you are fighting alone just vanish mid fight for no reason.
    That's happening on classic beta? In that case it's probably a bug.

Here's some resources explaining how it should work:
    https://blizzardwatch.com/2019/05/14...er-population/
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=291722/...in-classic-wow
    https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...d-of-warcraft/
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Layering

I mean, if it looks like sharding and works like sharding, wouldn't they just say it's sharding? Seems quite stupid to re-invent sharding and it's still the same old sharding. So perhaps people should report such things as bugs instead of crying that they have put in sharding.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherblood View Post
    Can you link an interview that says specifically layering will be used just for one zone, because the whole new name layering was explained as multiple fragments of a single server that eventually get merged. Layering was always said to be for the whole continent with only way to swap between layers through party or guild invites.
    You are correct. Effectively, the vast majority of players will only experience layering in the starter zones unless Blizz changes plans and keeps it in for more than a couple weeks. I'm thinking of starter zones as non-endgame-relevant, so I may be choosing a poor term.

layers on hopping on beta... coool story bro... Probably def get fixed before retail release.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post

ok and? this is sadly one of the things that will have to happen, what would you recommend instead?

complaining about something without providing an alternative is just called whining.

- - - Updated - - -

no longer correct, people cried about sharding in the starting zones too much, so they made phasing which is less intrusive but covers the entire continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content