Poll: Do you fear Death?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you fear death?

Essentially, I believe fear of death comes from two main perspectives:

1) The fear of lose for our families and relatives. We are aware of how painful it will be for them.
    2) The fear of pain.

This is always an interesting topic and there is no possible way to know what happens afterwards. Science only knows that any touch with this planet/body is just stopped. But that is as far as our knowledge goes!

Do you fear death? What are you 2 main concerns or reasons for fearing or not fearing?

I think this is a good exercise to remember those things that matter, because normally it is easy to don´t think about them.

Oh and yes, here you go:

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Maybe 3), not knowing what comes after death.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, i don't.

I have no control over it, so might aswell just accept my fate.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Only fools don't fear death. I know I can fix everything except for that.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Essentially, I believe fear of death comes from two main perspectives:

1) The fear of lose for our families and relatives. We are aware of how painful it will be for them.
    2) The fear of pain.

This is always an interesting topic and there is no possible way to know what happens afterwards. Science only knows that any touch with this planet/body is just stopped. But that is as far as our knowledge goes!

Do you fear death? What are you 2 main concerns or reasons for fearing or not fearing?
    Given that once I'm dead I won't have a care in the world, I can't say I fear it, but I'd certainly rather it didn't happen. Being alive is kinda fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life sucks, then you die

I'm looking forward to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep I’m not a fan of it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

3+ Year Old Account
    Yep, I am afraid of it, but one day, we will come to face it, a sorrow truth. All we can do is to enjoy our life as much as possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had once panic atack (real one), being alone in another small city, i was literally thinking im dying, it was scarest shit in my life

yeah but it's more like a fear of missing out kind of deal for me i guess.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I am not really afraid of the idea of death,I wont be alive to miss anything etc,mostly just hope it wont be a really painfull one like drowing or burning alive,but I wouldnt call that being afraid of death itself,my line of thinking is,I didnt care before I was born,and there is no proof I should care after.

don't specifically fear dying. though i do have a desire to see the ending of things i'm invested in first.

what i do fear is the possibility of what happens after. if we could get that cleared up, i'd happily eat this 20gauge birdshot i got. i'm done with feeling tired and broken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Only fools don't fear death. I know I can fix everything except for that.
    Not having irational fears of the unkown doesnt make you a fool,it makes you a logicaly and reasonable thinking person

7+ Year Old Account
    I only felt existential dread when I went to my first funeral as a kid, and it dawned on me that death would apply to me as well. After that funeral it didn't bother me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    Maybe 3), not knowing what comes after death.
    All that happens is our neurons stop firing.

I would like to say I've come to terms with death, if you ask me now ans I answer with reason I would say I am not fearing death and actually rather embrace it.

But then I wake up in the night with some stinging in the breast because I just at too much, and then I suddenly start panicking about a heart attack and suddenly don't seem to embrace it as I actually expected I would.

So no, I don't live in general fear of death, but I also kind of like living.

Honestly feeling pretty hollow lately, bring the grim reaper that douche aint got shit...

No i don´t fear it, been in the military so pretty much the time i have left just feels like a bonus since i never expected to live this long, that being said i rather not die if i get to pick
    Last edited by Raven; 2019-06-10 at 09:33 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I fear a painful death, but not death itself. The way I see it there are only a few possibilities regarding death:

• Oblivion - if the atheists are correct we simply stop being self aware when we die. There is literally nothing to fear as we won't be aware of death.
    • Hell - if the religious groups are right, then the vast majority of us will be going to hell. There are numerous interpretations of hell, so it depends on which version you end up in. Assuming we are not there already without realising it.
    • Heaven - if the religious folk are correct, then there is a tiny chance we will end up in heaven. The odds of that happening are astoundingly low though.
    • Reincarnation - if the new age / buddhist's got it right, then we will end up back on Earth in a new life, with no memory of the previous one. This is probably the best option as it avoids death by renewing life. You would be free to move on past your current failings and screw up an entirely new life

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    It's normal to fear death, it's just bravado to say you don't... can you remember the time before you were born, that endless pit of nothingness? well that's what death will be like afterwards... just nothing other than you don't exist anymore, no afterlife, no gods, no rebirth, no heaven, no hell...fuck all.

That scares me to think about it but wouldn't bother me when I'm gone because there wouldn't be a me to be bothered lol.

No, why would i... i believe in heaven and the afterlife and know I'll go there, and i'm long since tired of this life.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22