Thread: Going to court

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Going to court

Today my boyfriend and I were in court suing someone else for our security deposit back from the last place we lived in. We ended up being before the judge for a good 90 minutes of testimony between myself & the former landlady. He has bad anxiety and asked the judge if I could do all the talking which she agreed to. It was a mentally exhausting experience. Anyone else ever been to court and felt like this?

Yeah I spent 90 minutes in court earlier today defending myself from some blog-posting dumbass and his soft spoken boyfriend for trying to sue me after they violated their security deposit by stinking up my rental.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    i've been to court and have not experienced this feeling. am currently in a court case myself.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-06-05 at 07:54 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Got pinpointed with a ticket from an accident in which a lady had prematurely tried to go around the backup to the two landed row 250 feet ahead. Of course I'm coming out (a garage exit and crossing a lane to turn left since the side was on the right bound land), in which the normal waiting line of cars let me take a left turn (guy had left a space for me to make my turn), so I didn't expect another car afterwards speeding up parallel to that, in a portion of the road that didn't have two lanes. I clamed up afterwards, it was my dad's car and knew I was fucked by a yelling fest to ensue later that night, so that's why I got pinpointed. Same reason as your bf, clamed up/let anxiety of future issues cloud my argument to the police on the actual situation at that moment). After an ticket issued and some time to calm down, had a lawyer friend ask for the video tape of me leaving the garage to show I hadn't done anything wrong. Brought this to the prosecutor and eventually got it dismissed, as I calmly explained what happened.

I guess what I'm trying to say is these situations are never fun, but if you calm down and focus on what you're trying to do, anxiety will have no place as you explain the truth.

Regardless I hope you're in the right of the court case since I don't have the details on that....
    Last edited by RCA; 2019-06-05 at 07:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean it's not at all like Phoenix Wright?

*looks sullenly at purchased 5 liters jar of hairgel*
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    You mean it's not at all like Phoenix Wright?

*looks sullenly at purchased 5 liters jar of hairgel*
    lol no idea what you were talking about, but a Capcom lawyer game, hope Dante doesn't appear to testify on all the demonic destruction...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    lol no idea what you were talking about, but a Capcom lawyer game, hope Dante doesn't appear to testify on all the demonic destruction...

(Notice the hair)
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-06-09 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Infracted for spam
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear that you two had to go to court over something like that. Myself, I have been in a few times sadly, and it felt very exhausting and like going nowhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    (Notice the hair)
    OBJECTION!

I'll have you know my hair is impeccable!
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

excellent blog.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Blog posst like this is why people get forum vacations, post this on ur tumblr blogs please.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    been sued and I have sued, won on both accounts.

Got sued because I broke a guys arm, he lost because, I was doing my job and he was being an idiot. I then sued the another guy who was caught on video fucking with the breaks on my truck.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never been to court. Some due to luck, some due to skill.

Another livejournal post from OP. You should put them all in a book and put it on Amazon.

The only times I've been to court was to pay a speeding ticket, and the times I've been summoned for jury duty (which I've never served, either because the scheduled date got cancelled due to prosecutor and defense reaching a deal, or I just didn't get selected to be on the jury during jury selection).

Did you win your case?

It seems odd to whine about going to court, and not state whether you won.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    excellent blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Blog posst like this is why people get forum vacations, post this on ur tumblr blogs please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Another livejournal post from OP. You should put them all in a book and put it on Amazon.
    How is this a "blog post" when I very briefly mention I was in court and then asked if anyone else has had to be in court to testify & if they felt the same way I did? This post in the Gen OT forums fits what can be posted in the Gen OT section as it was asking other posters/readers of the forums if they had ever experienced something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Did you win your case?

It seems odd to whine about going to court, and not state whether you won.
    I'm hoping so because of the questions the judge asked her after her testimony and then asked me during redirect. Unfortunately the way small claims suits go, the judge hears all the testimony, takes all the evidence, and then looks it over and mails the verdict out within 90 days of court. She told us that our decision would be done well before the 90 days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    It's not a blog post because it's a valid thread, asking if people have been to court or not and what are their experiences whilst giving an experience of their own.

would the thread be ok if it was just asking if people have ever been to court? then guess what people would probably ask OP if they have oh...

7+ Year Old Account
    Is suing people a favorite pastime in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Today my boyfriend and I were in court suing someone else for our security deposit back from the last place we lived in. We ended up being before the judge for a good 90 minutes of testimony between myself & the former landlady. He has bad anxiety and asked the judge if I could do all the talking which she agreed to. It was a mentally exhausting experience. Anyone else ever been to court and felt like this?
    I think most people get nervous around "authority" (law enforcement, judges, etc) simply due to them being a sole person deciding how bad your life can get fucked.

Had to defend myself against a police officer once.
    You can talk to them as if they're people...as I did.