Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Why do many parents try to guilt trip people into getting children?

Someone says that he/she does not want any children, and immediately the parental defence brigade arrives. "You'll mature someday and know better!", "Children are the best thing the world has to offer!", "WHY DO YOU HATE CHILDREN?!?" and "I thought I used to be happpy, but when I got my child I realise I was a miserable mess!" are things I've heard.

Why is it difficult for some parents to understand that some people simply don't want any children?
    I want a relationship, but no children, and I'm getting sick and tired on having to defend myself from angry parents who seem to have lost all ability to see things from other's point of view the moment their little poop monster popped out.

Cause kids are cool when you don't have to take care of them. Grandparents get all the good stuff and don't have to put up with all of the bad stuff.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Someone says that he/she does not want any children, and immediately the parental defence brigade arrives. "You'll mature someday and know better!", "Children are the best thing the world has to offer!", "WHY DO YOU HATE CHILDREN?!?" and "I thought I used to be happpy, but when I got my child I realise I was a miserable mess!" are things I've heard.

Why is it difficult for some parents to understand that some people simply don't want any children?
    I want a relationship, but no children, and I'm getting sick and tired on having to defend myself from angry parents who seem to have lost all ability to see things from other's point of view the moment their little poop monster popped out.
    For the vast majority of the human population procreation is very important to them. Many times those who claim to not want children do indeed change their minds. Its just abnormal, and goes against what most folks expect. But i'm with you, i don't want kids. and when folks tell me that my mind will change i ask them if they want to bet money on it...tends to shut them up quick.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Because they made the god awful choice of having children and want you to suffer as they have suffered.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're defending their own choices, some people see others forging alternate paths and imagine it as an attack on their own path. You see it everywhere about everything, all it does it cause strife where rival ideas would otherwise coexist, I never understood it,
    /s

basics. we're supposed to procreate...
    doesn't mean you have to but it's pretty much why you exist.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I did never think i would have children. Now im 48 and we will have a kid in 2 months, im so happy i was so close to miss out on a big big thing in life. Getting a kid to explain it really really easy is like saying ok you never tried beer, beer is nice. Beer is nothing compared to have a kid but think that you never even tried drinking beer, your missing out on a part of life.

You have hundreds if not thousands of generations of human ancestors who managed to reproduce and pass on their genes. To end that lineage is the most selfish thing you could ever do in this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Word. Don't want any kids either and my god so many people have their own kids so young! My folks had me when they ere ~35, I think that's a good age, if you want to do it. But so many folks have kids when they're 18-21. You're not even a fucking adult! Or at least you haven't really "lived" yet. Who are you? What do you want from life?

It's no wonder so many people have mid-life crises.

And frankly, I don't even think I'd be a great father. So why not just skip the whole "well you'll do great!" bullshit and not even bother?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    You have hundreds if not thousands of generations of human ancestors who managed to reproduce and pass on their genes. To end that lineage is the most selfish thing you could ever do in this world.
    You say that but we allow people whose families have histories of debilitating mental and physical conditions to breed whereas in nature, they would have died off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully, there are literally billions of other people who can carry on the process.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I absolutely agree that children are the best thing ever and you should definitely have some! I happen to have two right now that you can have if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    I did never think i would have children. Now im 48 and we will have a kid in 2 months, im so happy i was so close to miss out on a big big thing in life. Getting a kid to explain it really really easy is like saying ok you never tried beer, beer is nice. Beer is nothing compared to have a kid but think that you never even tried drinking beer, your missing out on a part of life.
    Getting a kid at 48 is selfish and wrong. It gets to wheel your senior ass around by the time it goes to college. Hope you’ll remember who he is when it graduates.

Also, I tried beer, I hated it. Luckily you can not drink it again. Having a kid, because you’re afraid you’ll miss out and then finding out you still really don’t like it, you can’t just stop having that kid... when in doubt, don’t procreate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Dude. I am 51. I had a kid with my (then) girlfriend when i was 43. It was exhausting then. I couldn't imagine at 48 lol.

Having a kid is awesome if you are excited for it, but I am sending you all of my positive thoughts for extra energy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Jealousy. They still see your able to stuff they can no longer do and they want to drag you down to their level.

Most of my friends at work I feel do it to feel better about themselves and their kids. They try to hard to emphasize how much they love their kids, and how everyone should have them. I have 2 of my own, don't fucking do it. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, but if I could go back 6 years and pull out I would. I'd suggest the same to anyone else as well.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

So what? There's billions of people on the planet. Most of them want to have kids. People who don't want kids shouldn't feel pressured into having kids.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Getting a kid at 48 is selfish and wrong. It gets to wheel your senior ass around by the time it goes to college. Hope you’ll remember who he is when it graduates.

Also, I tried beer, I hated it. Luckily you can not drink it again. Having a kid, because you’re afraid you’ll miss out and then finding out you still really don’t like it, you can’t just stop having that kid... when in doubt, don’t procreate.
    What the fuck. Unless he is in shitty, piss poor health, he'll only be 66 when the kid goes off to college. That's not exactly a wheelchair bound age.

Jesus Christ. Dial the salt down.

10+ Year Old Account
    They dont wanna be the only one that done a shitty choice.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post

My dad was 45 when he got me do i wish he didnt?
    If i realize i dont like it, i will be a man and suck it up and do the right thing like every grown up.