Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    I don't ever plan to have kids and I'm already 26. This world has an overpopulation problem and I'm not going to contribute to it. Look at the other countries that are super crowded, it's too much.
    The obvious flaw with that argument is that there is no reason to think that humans are forever limited to living on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    Because there's literally no purpose to life other than having children so that life continues to exist. If everybody stopped having children there would be no reason to save the world, to take care of the environment or any of that green shit.
    99.99999% of humans could literally decide to stop having children and mankind would still survive. All it takes is 14 healthy couples if nothing goes wrong. Or 48 couples allowing for a catastrophy that wipes out 30% every couple years. Don't remember where exactly I read this, was an article about how many humans to send into space if the earth gets destroyed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    It's only a false analogy in the sense that paying taxes is actually LESS essential to the survival of the human race than having offspring.
    It's a false analogy because they're not comparable, at all, period. Also, the "survival of the human race" is bullshit tripe of the type peddled by collectivists.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    And there are tax cuts for households with children because they took on the financial burden of contributing to the next generation.
    You seem to be missing the point. People without children pay more into funds for children than those with them. Every child a couple has adds to the bill that those without them has to foot. So calling those who choose not to have children "selfish" isn't just factually-challenged, it's blatantly retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    It's not an inapplicable or irrelevant analogy, because it examines and proves the doctrine for extending or rescinding the voting privilege is already in the system and is not an undemocratic process, infact it's a highly democratic process to give suffrage aswell as to take it away, because they are the same thing. You solidify my position by giving an example of your own:

In neither instance (criminality or voiding voting rights to felons) is it arbitrary or undemocratic, because the system is designed with this in mind. And no, I am not saying "they are on the same level", because I don't even know what that means seeing as I am not doing any "what ifs" here.
    The "democratic process" is based on the idea that law-abiding citizens are treated equally and have the same rights. Taking away the rights of those who don't have/want children is literally, objectively and factually undemocratic. Your analogy is nonsense. You have no argument only a contentious and irrelevant opinion.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2019-06-15 at 08:29 PM.

I am incredibly lucky that my parents have never bothered me or tried to convince me and my husband to have children. They have "grandcats" and save money and time by not having to pay for things for grandkids. My brother is 42 and single so no grandkids for them.

It is beneficial to the herd to have much offspring.

This is no different than anything else people disagree about and argue over. People feel strongly about something and struggle to comprehend that someone else might feel differently. I have no intention of ever having kids and have already had a vasectomy. Plenty of people have told me the usual crap about regretting it or not knowing you wanted them until you have them and all that. I personally think a lot of people who love their kids feel guilty admitting they would have rather not had them. You can love your kids but still acknowledge that you would have preferred never having any without it being personal. Anyway it makes no difference to me if they call me selfish or whatever. They can find other parents and talk about how nothing else matters but children if my choice offends them that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The "democratic process" is based on the idea that law-abiding citizens are treated equally and have the same rights. Taking away the rights of those who don't have/want children is literally, objectively and factually undemocratic. Your analogy is nonsense. You have no argument other than, "I disagree with people who don't have/want kids, so I think they shouldn't be able to vote", which is vapid and meaningless.
    That's not at all what the democratic process is based on, it's solely an apparatus meant to digest and represent the interests and wishes of the populace via (most cases) voting, everything else is just a cultural addon or cultural take on this form of democracy.

Democracy has existed without global suffrage, with global suffrage and with varying forms of voting privileges inbetween, all these systems are democratic.
    Last edited by OriginalName; 2019-06-15 at 08:31 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not at all what the democratic process is based on, it's solely an apparatus meant to digest and represent the interests and wishes of the populace via (most cases) voting, everything else is just a cultural addon or cultural take on this form of democracy.

Democracy has existed without global suffrage, with global suffrage and with varying forms of voting privileges inbetween, all these systems are democratic.
    Any system that doesn't represent equality on the behalf of its respective citizenry is inherently undemocratic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good question bud. I've always wanted kids. and my daughter actually just turned 4. it sinks in afterwards that you are responsible for another life and upbringing of said little one. kinda changes perspectives.

Any system that doesn't represent equality on the behalf of its respective citizenry is inherently undemocratic.
    Quite literally incorrect, rights are not universal and not even within democracy are they all shared.

Democracy isnt about equality its about representation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quite literally incorrect, rights are not universal and not even within democracy are they all shared.

Democracy isnt about equality its about representation.
    It's about equality in representation. Any system that excludes citizens, without just cause, is undemocratic, period.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/democratic

pertaining to or characterized by the principle of political or social equality for all

It's about equality in representation. Any system that excludes citizens, without just cause, is undemocratic, period.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/democratic
    That's a bad definition from the outset, because people arent equal and equality is impossible. Even if it's a honorable pursuit, it's lofty and irrelevant to the discussion, because you can have unequal democratic systems; USA pre 1920 female suffrage despite 51% (general figure) of the population being ineligible to vote, the country, was still a democracy.

You're not afforded the same objective rights regardless in the USA and it's still a democracy, example; reproductive rights are objectively not equal, because women have bodily autonomy. Now I know, that men can't have children, but it's the spirit of the law and rights that matter here.

Democracy isn't equality, equality can be a policy which a democratic nation may attempt to achieve.

Either way, this discussion point can be pretty easily solved with the advent of tiers of citizenship, wherein childless people belong to a tier which does not have the privilege of holding office or voting on long term policy.
    Last edited by OriginalName; 2019-06-15 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    they don't want to feel sh8t, that simple
    they don't want to acknowledge that u are better than them, they want u to be as disgusting piece of sh8t as horrible as them, they can't live their lives know that u are literally better than them not a horny a88 who f8cks for f8cks
    seriously we are overpopulating earth, if anything we should have less children, but the mass uneducated f8ck like rabbits
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Either way, this discussion point can be pretty easily solved with the advent of tiers of citizenship, wherein childless people belong to a tier which does not have the privilege of holding office or voting on long term policy.
    You can't give some people special voting privileges in a democracy and some people not, that opens a Pandora's Box of bullshit as I pointed out earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    they don't want to feel sh8t, that simple
    they don't want to acknowledge that u are better than them, they want u to be as disgusting piece of sh8t as horrible as them, they can't live their lives know that u are literally better than them not a horny a88 who f8cks for f8cks
    seriously we are overpopulating earth, if anything we should have less children, but the mass uneducated f8ck like rabbits
    Yeah low IQ types are the ones who are more likely to breed which is problematic. The continued lack of critical thinking skills evidenced by some of the posts here is evidence enough of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You can't give some people special voting privileges in a democracy and some people not, that opens a Pandora's Box of bullshit as I pointed out earlier.
    Like, I see what you mean and I agree that you simply can't say "this is how it is now", you have to gradually update the existing system and improve on it with reforms.

That said, i've been arguing that that only parents should be given franchise due to their inherent loyalty to the system and desire to see it function after they are gone and that the praxis for giving and removing the franchise exists and, it's very possible to do so and that it's not at all undemocratic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... to be fair, having kids now that our little planet is getting fucked in the ass by pollution is kind off irresponsible since your offspring are the ones who most likely will suffer.
    That is the reason why I don't want any children.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's a bad definition from the outset, because people arent equal and equality is impossible.
    You're blatantly ignoring context to demonstrate a nonexistent point. In the context of representation, discounting felons, everyone is and should be equal. That is what makes it truly democratic. Your opinions to the contrary are irrelevant.

USA pre 1920 female suffrage despite 51% (general figure) of the population being ineligible to vote, the country, was still a democracy.
    The US has never been a democracy. Additionally, pre-women's suffrage and civil rights, the system was undemocratic.

example; reproductive rights are objectively not equal, because women have bodily autonomy. Now I know, that men can't have children, but it's the spirit of the law and rights that matter here.
    This is a blatant misrepresentation of reproductive/women's rights and bodily autonomy. Women having certain extended rights do not make them unequal. In fact, those extensions exist to make them equal. A woman has no more or less bodily autonomy than a man does. And frankly, your comment sounds like some MRA/incel nonsense.

Democracy isn't equality, equality can be a policy which a democratic nation may attempt to achieve.
    The term democracy is irrelevant, in the context you're using it. Any system that unfairly or unjustly excludes those it represents is inherently undemocratic. This is an objective fact.

Sounds like some deranged variation of political/social eugenics. Those who have children are in no way superior to those who choose not to. And when one considers the ratio of unplanned pregnancies, it could be argued that a large portion of those with children are too incompetent to vote. Regardless, your "suggestion" is idiotic and reeks of collectivist drivel with a dash of troll dung.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2019-06-15 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Someone says that he/she does not want any children, and immediately the parental defence brigade arrives. "You'll mature someday and know better!", "Children are the best thing the world has to offer!", "WHY DO YOU HATE CHILDREN?!?" and "I thought I used to be happpy, but when I got my child I realise I was a miserable mess!" are things I've heard.

Why is it difficult for some parents to understand that some people simply don't want any children?
    I want a relationship, but no children, and I'm getting sick and tired on having to defend myself from angry parents who seem to have lost all ability to see things from other's point of view the moment their little poop monster popped out.
    Because some people think they know buy they dont really know themselves or change over time.

I had a buddy who hates kids ever since I knew him. Attitude did not change until he was urged to have one, and when he did it changed him completely. From the guy who wanted to punch babies to the guy who shares every baby pic on facebook.

People dont truly know themselves until they challenge themselves with change. This isnt to say it automatically applies to you, but if you wonder why it happens well its because people think they do but sometimes they dont.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-06-15 at 11:18 PM.

You're blatantly ignoring context to demonstrate a nonexistent point. In the context of representation, discounting felons, everyone is and should be equal. That is what makes it truly democratic. Your opinions to the contrary are irrelevant.

The US has never been a democracy. Additionally, pre-women's suffrage and civil rights, the system was undemocratic.

This is a blatant misrepresentation of reproductive/women's rights and bodily autonomy. Women having certain extended rights do not make them unequal. In fact, those extensions exist to make them equal. A woman has no more or less bodily autonomy than a man does. And frankly, your comment sounds like some MRA/incel nonsense.

The term democracy is irrelevant, in the context you're using it. Any system that unfairly or unjustly excludes those it represents is inherently undemocratic. This is an objective fact.

Sounds like some deranged variation of political/social eugenics. Those who have children are in no way superior to those who choose not to. And when one considers the ratio of unplanned pregnancies, it could be argued that a large portion of those with children are too incompetent to vote. Regardless, your "suggestion" is idiotic and reeks of collectivist drivel with a dash of troll dung.
    Just quote me en large or pack them together because it's really hard to respond to these posts without turning it into a quote mess, also i'll not be responding to any of your ad hominem.

You consistently misunderstand the "equality" clause in the modern definition of democracy, which pertains to equality under the law, which I don't qualify the franchise to be, we do make distinctions for voting rights already as you aptly point out, felons, foreigners, underage children, people with severe mental deficiencies can have their franchise rescinded or awarded to a guardian. It's to this that I refer to, when I say there is praxis for both giving and removing the voting franchise.

My opinions is what we're discussing here, you keep trying to dismiss them but this is a forum and I approached this thread with an opinion, you're arguing against it, I don't know why you keep repeating yourself here.

Regardless, i'm not going to unpack the whole "everyone is equal under the law", wether that means the spirit of the law, jurisprudence or consequence of the law it's a huge topic and not relevant to this, so i'll end it by saying; (largely) everyone is equal in the spirit of the law already.

US has always been a representative democracy with addendums, the latter part something it shares with every democracy that ever was and ever will be.

It's not a misrepresentation of reproductive rights and it is quite ironic you label it WOMEN'S RIGHTS when that alone indicate the lack of equality in the rights given anyway, because men and women have different functions and are thus NECESSARILY unequal in the law and in rights, i'm not passing judgement here, i'm giving you a very easy example to showcase how we have unequality yet democracy.

I can concede that rescinding the franchise may appear undemocratic to someone who only admire democracy akin to someone who admires a piece of clothing from a shopping magazine but honestly it's a non issue, because the tenets of democracy arent universal as i've explained earlier.

I've put no judgement into superiority or inferiority, I don't think people without children are inferior, I think they are less able to make productive political decisions than those who have children.

Nobody has ever done that to me and I certainly don't do it to others. Having children this day and age is a choice, thank God! (really fucking hate that expression but there doesn't seem to be a better one).

I'm just gonna leave a couple of ideas floating around here, sorry if they have been said.

1. You cannot be "anti-breeder", yet expect society to keep functioning when you get old. Without children today, there will be no surgeons to operate on you or garbage ppl to pick up your trash when you're 75.

2. Children give you a huge sense of fulfillment. Yeah, they're a pain in the ass most of the time, but when you do stuff together and click with them, there isn't another feeling in the world that matches that level of satisfaction.

I'm hesitant to add 3. They will visit you when you're old. It's not something that's guaranteed, and I certainly don't expect it from mine. It will be nice when it happens though.