Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Are there really enough people still leveling in WOW to justify any effort?

I mean, it's a 15 year old game.. if you don't have all leveled by now, you probably never will.

And this means, all of those who don't care about leveling another character, that's wasted resources.

HOWEVER, after playing Diablo 3 for a while.. I think there is potential for old instances to be viable solo content, challenging that is, for leveling or not, just like rifts in D3... you can pretty much one shot everything if you go back now, but what if it was actually stuff you could go back with 2-3 people to farm currencies and mats. They would have to consider that while doing the new instances, but you get the idea. I don't mind solo play, it just shouldn't be the best way to progress your character.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2019-06-16 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need to stop emphasizing on solo play and add more group elements, this is an MMO and its about time they start focusing their efforts on that once again.

Ive leveled a load of toons. Not as many as people who enjoy leveling 50+ alts. I had all classes at 110 during Legion.

Right now I have 6 120s. I got really bored with BfA leveling so I stopped leveling another alt for now.

Suffice it to say that I know leveling.

I want a level squish.

I am pretty sure it is inevitable anyway, Blizz knows that the more levels they add to the game, it intimidate new or prospective players.

For an anecdotal example, my friend bought wow and immediately felt overwhelmed with how massive the game was in all manner of things.

“Jeez, 120 levels. This is going to take forever, man.”

Then when he got to 120 (took 3 months), he felt it was too much. The game felt the same for too long, no real sense of power progression. Getting a new piece of gear just makes the mobs a little stronger. It really turned him off.

People want to feel OP if they’re gonna grind so many levels.

Now marketing the game like, “NO MORE LEVEL 120! BACK TO 60! Come join us!”

People who were on the fence will likely jump at a reduction of levels.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Fun comes from class gameplay as well as difficulty/challenge and rich story-based interesting content. WoW does not need to be only end-game focused. Challenge and fun activities in end-game comes from group activity in most cases. Questing and leveling is the only part that can be done solo, for the most part. Why not make it more fun and challenging/rewarding? As it is now, people hate it and just want to zoom through it so they can finally play the game.
    I don't really get your point. Sure it might be more fun to mix different difficulty modes into leveling, but whats the point? You could allways optimize leveling, speed it up with rewarding min-maxing and propper usagge or class skills to finish it quick.

Leveling is just the beginners guide for this MMO. The main point is to play the MMO part ASAP.

The whole end-game/max level content is made to last for months/years while you asking for more content that lasts hours/days.

Even the 6-9 day long vanilla leveling was to long for many players and lots of them allready quit the game before reaching max level. The hard limit for those single-player minded players is what? - like 48-60 hours? They are used to games lasting that long and if they reach that amount of time in WoW, they just quit no matter how fun/rewarding the game is, since they don't even know the genre or the time commitments.

The leveling had to be shortened a lot, just to let those single-player minded players at least see the content at max-level a bit, but you can still see on the cry-baby-topics in the forums, that no matter what content the game got, people will start crying after 1-2 weeks tops, since thats their limit in playtime.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Leveling is just the beginners guide for this MMO. The main point is to play the MMO part ASAP.

The whole end-game/max level content is made to last for months/years while you asking for more content that lasts hours/days.
    You only say that because that's all that leveling has ever been presented as. What people are asking for is to take the concept of leveling and turn it into something that isn't just EZ mode tutorial for 100 levels. Make it meaningful and give it substance.

Granted, this would require a fundamental shift in the entire content design philosophy of WoW, so maybe it wouldn't work. But in my opinion, spending a lot of dev time and resources on content which is basically useless(since "the game really doesn't start until level cap") needs to be re-examined. If necessary, dispose of leveling entirely, and make the entire expansion START with "end-game" mechanics.

Brand new expansion. Revamp 1-60. Let that be the only relevant content.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    No, it won't. I don't care how good a story is, if I've played through it once and the gameplay was bad, I'm not touching it again unless I have to.
    You dont care, a lot of people do. And honestly, there is not much of a players that trully knows how to play some spec. Vast majority of players won't go over 30% performance meaning they don't even understand their spec. Or they simply don't care and play for the fun.

Preface. I am someone who doesn't really care about the quality of leveling, I can't imagine that changes even with the best intention would be able to blow me away. But I am fine with this! I enjoy leveling when I can, and I'm not too grumpy when I am not enjoying it. Up until Legion and BfA. Boy, I didn't have a good time. It was a torture. I hate it. (I have many many alts at level 90, and I just can't get myself leveling them in the last 2 expansions.)

I love leveling alts with op enchants and heirlooms and xp potions and WoD leveling was especially great for this. My main is different. It is usually a slog, but often it is a somewhat enjoyable slog (BC-WoD)

I would really like hubs back. Legion and BfA both gives you 4-6 quests at time, but anyone remembers Wintergarde Keep for example? Where you immediately upon arrival, got 10-12-ish quests, most of them situated at one place, or at least you could plan ahead where to go. Not anymore in Legion and BfA. Your hand is held tight, and papa questdeveloper drags you through the whole zone only with a couple of quests at a time. You go exactly where papadev tells you, in the exact order as he tells you. No leeway, no flexibility, no sightseeing, no nothing. This you can see everywhere in WoW, why in leveling tho? I have no idea.

I would really like if you could open up bonus objectives like in WoD that would give huge (I say it again: HUGE) amount of xp. Maybe not so easily like in wod.

I would really like GW2 progressive event type of things in wow.
    More zones than it's needed to cap like in BC and Wrath, so you can choose your path, giving you fresh start with alts.

Maybe a couple of areas that would change permanently after you complete it. Progressive zones with patches.

They are experimenting with it in BfA, hopefully they are expanding on them: quests with choice.

Zones that are not necessarily fully packed with mobs. Like Valley of the four winds. I loved mining/herb farming there, there were not many enemies, beautiful scenery.

Completing a zone (quests, rares, "vistas") should give rewards immediately (flying), even if you are under level cap.

Leveling once was like (felt like) swimming with the flow. In Legion and BfA it feels more like swimming against it.
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-06-16 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Fun comes from class gameplay as well as difficulty/challenge and rich story-based interesting content.
    For you. Others get their fun from other things in the game. You are not the arbiter of what is fun for others. Just yourself.

Fun has no relation to gameplay. If story/content/quality/replayability sucks gameplay will not save it, game will just die.
    If gameplay sucks balls but is new, has new concepts, good quality, replayability it will continue to grow -> vanilla wow.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Fun has no relation to gameplay. If story/content/quality/replayability sucks gameplay will not save it, game will just die.
    If gameplay sucks balls but is new, has new concepts, good quality, replayability it will continue to grow -> vanilla wow.
    I guess either one or the other has to be true for the game to see some success. If content is godly but gameplay is mediocre it would highly succeed, and the opposite is likely to be true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    For you. Others get their fun from other things in the game. You are not the arbiter of what is fun for others. Just yourself.
    I represent millions of people with my opinion. I did not make a statement that is so unique that only someone like myself would have been able to come up with. I believe I share the same common thinking when it comes to wanting some quality entertainment.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of solo, how about solo Q for RBG? enter at your own risk, let the system treat it like it currently treats normal BG's. Groups will always have a better chance that way and it will most likely encourage more groups to form and more people to pvp. Non RBG pvp is currently of no value.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Preface. I am someone who doesn't really care about the quality of leveling, I can't imagine that changes even with the best intention would be able to blow me away. But I am fine with this! I enjoy leveling when I can, and I'm not too grumpy when I am not enjoying it. Up until Legion and BfA. Boy, I didn't have a good time. It was a torture. I hate it. (I have many many alts at level 90, and I just can't get myself leveling them in the last 2 expansions.)

I love leveling alts with op enchants and heirlooms and xp potions and WoD leveling was especially great for this. My main is different. It is usually a slog, but often it is a somewhat enjoyable slog (BC-WoD)

I would really like hubs back. Legion and BfA both gives you 4-6 quests at time, but anyone remembers Wintergarde Keep for example? Where you immediately upon arrival, got 10-12-ish quests, most of them situated at one place, or at least you could plan ahead where to go. Not anymore in Legion and BfA. Your hand is held tight, and papa questdeveloper drags you through the whole zone only with a couple of quests at a time. You go exactly where papadev tells you, in the exact order as he tells you. No leeway, no flexibility, no sightseeing, no nothing. This you can see everywhere in WoW, why in leveling tho? I have no idea.

I would really like if you could open up bonus objectives like in WoD that would give huge (I say it again: HUGE) amount of xp. Maybe not so easily like in wod.

I would really like GW2 progressive event type of things in wow.
    More zones than it's needed to cap like in BC and Wrath, so you can choose your path, giving you fresh start with alts.

Maybe a couple of areas that would change permanently after you complete it. Progressive zones with patches.

They are experimenting with it in BfA, hopefully they are expanding on them: quests with choice.

Zones that are not necessarily fully packed with mobs. Like Valley of the four winds. I loved mining/herb farming there, there were not many enemies, beautiful scenery.

Completing a zone (quests, rares, "vistas") should give rewards immediately (flying), even if you are under level cap.

Leveling once was like (felt like) swimming with the flow. In Legion and BfA it feels more like swimming against it.
    Hope Blizz is watching this thread...i agree with most of the things you mentioned.

I have a feeling one of the recent leaks might be real, and some of the things I've been wishing might actually make it to the live game one day!

leveling as Priest is just slow. You can't even level up if you are in Healing spec ;(

15+ Year Old Account
    I found leveling fun pre-Cata because you still had the old trees, hybrid speccing, etc and battlegrounds were integral to the leveling experience, some people leveled exclusively in BGs.

PVP and PVE have been separated so far from one another, you almost can't revive that old culture of PVP being an actual playground, even while leveling. Now PVP is looked at as an end-game thing because there's too many needless layers to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post
    Other MMORPGs have account wide paragon levels, which could be an idea for WoW as well.
    Diablo 3 is not MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Opinion:

Blizz should continue focusing on endgame content. However, they should revisit old areas and story arch to make them relevant again. This way the world feels more connected instead of fighting in an isolated area

The expansion is called Battle for Azeroth. Yet it basically is the Battle for Zandalar/Kultiras. Yes, we do visit older areas (arathi, darkshore) but it all feels disconnected.

We shouldn't just jump ship every expansion and abandon a whole continent for a shiny New one.

All the other continents should reflect current content. Although I can see how this would take too much production time and effort. But it would be nice nevertheless to see azeroth (and outlands/draenor) feel whole.

It feels like the team or someone really don't want
    to make mmos. Didn't they say sometime in the past that they liked and focused on making self-contained expansions. Of course, their mind could have changed... They love to make bandaid fixes over addressing the core issues too
    Last edited by Gourmandise; 2019-07-26 at 02:21 PM.