Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Germany says there is 'strong evidence' Iran behind tanker attacks

Chancellor Angela Merkel has said there is "strong evidence" Iran carried out attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman. She also warned Iran of consequences if it violated the 2015 international nuclear deal.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday there is "strong evidence" Iran was behind the twin tanker attacks near the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

The United States has accused Iran of attacking the Japanese and Norwegian flagged tankers and released video and pictures purporting to show a Revolutionary Guard boat removing an unexploded limpet mine.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-says-t...cks/a-49248524

This is a change, Germany originally said there wasn't enough evidence.

The way I see it, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the Mullahs didn't even bother to tell the Iranian civilian government they were going to attack a tanker.

If you were in charge of such things, and you believed the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and Mullahs attacked and damaged that Japanese tanker, what would you do?
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-06-19 at 05:54 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Falling in line behind papa US.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post

The way I see it, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the Mullahs didn't even bother to tell the Iranian civilian government they were going to attack a tanker.

If you were in charge of such things, and you believed the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and Mullahs attacked and damaged that Japanese tanker, what would you do?
    Sounds like they finally got to look at all the evidence.

I would not start a war over it. But beef up security in that area to help protect the shipping there and call on my allies to help with doing that.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Sounds like they finally got to look at all the evidence.

I would not start a war over it. But beef up security in that area to help protect the shipping there and call on my allies to help with doing that.
    I wouldn't invade or declare war or anything like that. But a punitive expedition would be good. The Iranian Navy is pathetically small. The US Navy could sink all of it in 1 day.

An appropriate response would be an airstrike or two on Iranian infrastructure. Preferably government buildings. To make a point.

The only change here is what your misquoting does to translation.

This is a link to the Nigel Farage milkshaking.

Damit, trump hacked germany!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    This is a link to the Nigel Farage milkshaking.
    shhhhh dont do that, you will ruin it.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by swenemy451 View Post
    An appropriate response would be an airstrike or two on Iranian infrastructure. Preferably government buildings. To make a point.

Damn, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the Mullah's sure made a lot of people seem foolish, carrying out that attack.

Germany isn't the lapdog of America. A lapdog would've canceled the Iranian Nuclear Treaty when America did.

Yeah, I think blowing up a building the Iranian Revolutionary Guard uses is appropriate.

I don't think Trump will order any reprisals, he's happy with how the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the Mullahs made him look right all along. "Give them enough rope to hang themselves" as the expression goes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    As far as I'm aware, you conveniently left the part out where she also said that this evidence, whilst strong, does NOT warrant immediate military action, but that it's a good reason to focus further investigations into that direction primarily. Omitting is misquoting. AKA fake news
    So far even Adam Schiff (D-Calif) says there is strong evidence that Iran was behind this attack.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...r_attacks.html
    If this is still considered a false flag attack, it is now a bipartisan one, probably the first one in history.

As for what I would do, maybe some more sanctions on Iran. I'd rather cripple them economically instead of putting boots on the ground.

edited. mistype. meant to say Iran.
    Last edited by announced; 2019-06-20 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    As for what I would do, maybe some more sanctions on Iraq. I'd rather cripple them economically instead of putting boots on the ground.
    That’s a funny typo... considering the issue with Iraq was them getting enriched uranium... WMDs!!!... that... worked out?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    As for what I would do, maybe some more sanctions on Iraq. I'd rather cripple them economically instead of putting boots on the ground.
    Is this remark evidence of your inability to type or your inability to think?

I'm leaning towards the latter, as Q is nowhere near N on any keyboard layout I'm familiar with.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-06-20 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Don't flame over typos.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

I'm leaning towards the latter, as Q is nowhere near N on any keyboard layout I'm familiar with.
    mistype, ive only had 3 hours of sleep today. Again, the same point still stands. No need for intervention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    That’s kinda harsh... it’s totally understandable, considering not only the similar name, but the similarities between current events and previous actions with Iraq.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    If it wasn't done by the government then the action would be to pressure the Iranian government to hold them accountable.
    It would be like going to war with the US because a couple of soldiers went on a shooting spree.

Anyone who calls from war or military intervention is a donkey.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Trump will order any reprisals, he's happy with how the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the Mullahs made him look right all along. "Give them enough rope to hang themselves" as the expression goes.
    Do you...just...put random words together?
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-06-20 at 05:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would they have hoped to gain from it? Allah points?

Hey remember that war in Iraq? Let's do it again, except make it much worse for everyone. Sounds great, right?

Germany hasn't changed its stance. There is still not enough evidence. See, strong evidence doesn't equal "enough" evidence.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I don't think the point of this is war in any way, not from the Iran side, nor from the US side. The Guard, if they indeed are to blame, seek to further isolate their country and stop any negotiations. The US on their side would be unlikely to go to war and would mostly push for further sanctions and push diplomatically so that other signatories of the treaty with Iran abandon it.
    Personally I think that since the point of this attack was exactly to hamper negotiations, the best response would be to continue trying to come to a solution and perhaps apply pressure to the Iranian state to investigate this matter transparently. If Iran is to become a partner to the rest of us at some point in the future, then it needs to confront the fact that public and military organizations have too much power and can easily go rogue.
    But then how to generate enough refugees to finally break the EU?