Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Probably no differently. The entire point of the internment was to prevent sabotage/spying, the sentiment would have been the same if an invasion ever occurred, not that it would have since Japan was entirely incapable of mounting such an invasion (a ground invasion anyways). They had some pretty wild air raid plans that never came to fruition... Like submarines capable of launching bombers to be sent off the west coast of the US to drop plague infected fleas on US cities.
    The Japanese actually killed a few people bombing the West Coast.

True story. They made these incendiary bombs that would float by balloon to the coast and start fires. Most were ineffective. But one managed to start a fire that killed a family of four who were camping.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Had the confederacy won the Civil War, it likely alters the outcome of World War I. The USA and CSA might have even entered WWI on opposite sides. Germany may have won WWI or at least been able to broker a better peace. That means Germany never turns to following a far right extremist and WW2 never happens at all.

Perhaps the key reason the Confederacy lost the Civil War was the fact that France refused to help. That set off a chain of events that led to Germany invading and conquering all of France. So by not helping the Confederacy, France almost ceased to exist.
    And Gettysburg was the key reason the British and French refused to help the Confederates. Both powers were actually thinking positively about the Confederacy until their loss at Gettysburg. Almost simultaneously, in the western theater, John C Pemberton surrendered Vicksburg to Grant, so that double whammy, Gettysburg and Vicksburg, ended any hope of foreign aid. The war didn't go well for the Confederates after that. They still won a few battles, but the Union gained momentum and the Confederates lost it.

In Michael Shaara's book, the Killer Angels (a novelization of the Battle of Gettysburg), one of the British observers muses about using this war to bring the US back into England's control, and remarks about how "English" the Southerners are. How much of that is fictional characterization and dramatization however, I can only speculate. But it wouldn't surprise me if such foreign attitudes were real at the time.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2019-06-16 at 03:51 PM.
    3.6 roentgen . . . not great, not terrible. - Comrade Dyatlov

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    I understand the genocide involving Jews, but why did Germany want to eradicate all Slavs?

~6 million Jews ....

~25 million Slavs...

Seems like Christians and Muslims were OK with that at the time, seeing as both the Catholic Croatians and Muslim Turks were on the side of Nazis.
    Because Nazis and by extension Racism is arbitrary and irrational.

Especially as genetics haven't really been around at that time. Technically speaking many Russians have more genetic overlap with Scandinavians than Germans do.

Like the entire racial hierarchy and racial subgroups and other nonsense is pulled straight out of thin air to fit some idiotic ideological narrative.

Slavs must die, but Hungarians are OK ...they are genetically identical to Western Slavs, who also happen to be genetically closer to Germans than for example Italians would be. On and on. It's all arbitrary nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    In Michael Shaara's book, the Killer Angels (a novelization of the Battle of Gettysburg), one of the British observers muses about using this war to bring the US back into England's control, and remarks about how "English" the Southerners are. How much of that is fictional characterization and dramatization however, I can only speculate. But it wouldn't surprise me if such foreign attitudes were real at the time.
    Freemantle did write a book about his time in the US Three Months in the Southern States. I have not read it, but I know Shaara did.
    /s

Blademaster
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    help convince Reza to change the name to Iran to begin his country anew.
    The country has always been called Iran by its own population, not Persia, during its entire existence. The western name Persia is derived from the name of the Iranian language, which is called Farsi (Persian).

Churchill's abominable decision to fight against Greek partisans and in the process turning British troops into de-facto Axis allies, crushing any local resistance and enabling local Nazis and ultra-nationalists to not only go unpunished, but to rise and remain to power even until these day.

Check out the factions involved...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekemvriana

Greece has never recovered from this and probably never will, how do you even come to terms with a past like that?

It took you this long to watch band of brothers, shame!

Several success in the campaign were if you looked into it dumb luck, D-day was a disaster of epic proportions on both sides the germans ran out of ammunition far faster than predicted due to i believe they weren't expecting to be hit from there, the hubris of the nazis in believing they were superior and could easily hold meant they also didn't send in their panzer divisions to support before it was over. The Allied forces whos divisions ended up all over the beach front more often than not on the wrong places, with the wrong support. On the ground key figures that stepped up as many officers got killed and regrouped while under heavy fire is the reason they won that day.

Beyond the battles over Europe, i started watching Ken Burn's and Lynn Novick documentary of the Vietnam war and you can really see how the 2nd world war also had an influence there, real interesting documentary that lays out it all in full and lets you really understand what a complicated mess Vietnam really was and how good intentions don't always lead to good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    It took you this long to watch band of brothers, shame!
    Band of Brothers is the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Freemantle did write a book about his time in the US Three Months in the Southern States. I have not read it, but I know Shaara did.
    I assumed it was true, because despite being a novel, the Killer Angels is heavily based on history and on the writings of those involved. But I wanted to make that disclaimer just in case.
    3.6 roentgen . . . not great, not terrible. - Comrade Dyatlov

Little known facts, mmm?...

1. USSR was outnumbered by German (plus their allies) forces 1.5-2 to 1 in the early stages of the war. Right until Battle of Moscow.

2. The NKVD rear lines (that allegedly had an order to shoot anyone who retreated) had a completely different order - to arrest those fleeing and bring them to tribunal. The shoot to kill order... was actually used by German SS rear lines. USSR adopted rear lines practice after the Battle of Moscow as a response to German tactics, but never issued an order to kill on sight.

3. General Zhukov issued an order for infantry to attack through minefields as if they were not there. That is well known. What is little known are 2 things:
    a) His reasoning for this order. Germans usually placed minefields in otherwise very poorly protected areas. And soldiers had a choice - attack a heavily fortified zone, under machine gun fire and artillery bombardment, or lose several dozen men wounded and killed by mines and flank German lines. It was a very calculated, albeit brutal war mathematics to save soldier's lives.
    b) General Patton issued the same order in 1944 to his troops.

4. Most of Lend Lease came to USSR in 1944-45. Right until the Battle of Kursk, the last German attempt at an offensive, only about 10% of Lend Lease has been delivered. And that constituted about 1% of USSR war production.

5. USSR stopped Germany and went on the offensive while having access to 110-120 million population. Germany alone was 90 million, add the rest of the Axis power countries to that. Meaning, it was an about 2 to 1 advantage to German favor in terms of population to draw from and use in the war industry. I am not even mentioning occupied territories where slavery was pretty normal for local populations.

6. Stalin purged his Generals and no one was left to command the army is a complete myth. Out of 1050 army Generals and about 200 navy and Aerial forces ones (Iknow, that is a lot of Generals to have), only 18 were shot. Most due to incompetence and alleged sabotage. 90% of military staff who were "purged" from 1938 onward, returned to active duties by 1941.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Because Nazis and by extension Racism is arbitrary and irrational.

Especially as genetics haven't really been around at that time. Technically speaking many Russians have more genetic overlap with Scandinavians than Germans do.

Like the entire racial hierarchy and racial subgroups and other nonsense is pulled straight out of thin air to fit some idiotic ideological narrative.

Slavs must die, but Hungarians are OK ...they are genetically identical to Western Slavs, who also happen to be genetically closer to Germans than for example Italians would be. On and on. It's all arbitrary nonsense.
    Yep, in fact Austrians, Czechs and Hungarians are so genetically similar, they're almost indistinguishable. Hitler was Austrian. When he invaded Czechoslovakia, he was basically invading his own people. This is why nationalism is complete cancer.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
    John Muir

Elemental Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    I understand the genocide involving Jews, but why did Germany want to eradicate all Slavs?

~6 million Jews ....

~25 million Slavs...

Seems like Christians and Muslims were OK with that at the time, seeing as both the Catholic Croatians and Muslim Turks were on the side of Nazis.
    Do you know about the Teutonic Order?
    Its basically a romanticized idea of that.

You mention Christians and Muslims which is a good comparison. The whole idea of you, being on the side of 'civilization' fighting this titanic romantizied war against "barbarian infidels"

You mention Croations and the whole Balkan area. That was just the Germans being clever and exploiting long standing hatreds.
    There was a whole guerilla war in the Balkan area, many of which were Christian. So who are easy allies against them? People who already hated them due to ethnic/religious differences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Band of Brothers is the best.
    "where you a hero grandpa? No, but I served in a company of heroes"
    Such a perfect ending for that series
    Last edited by Dreknar20; 2019-06-16 at 05:37 PM.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pentai View Post
    Churchill's abominable decision to fight against Greek partisans and in the process turning British troops into de-facto Axis allies, crushing any local resistance and enabling local Nazis and ultra-nationalists to not only go unpunished, but to rise and remain to power even until these day.

Check out the factions involved...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekemvriana

Greece has never recovered from this and probably never will, how do you even come to terms with a past like that?
    That's called a civil war. Granted that in this case it's a very small and a short one with relatively few casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Native American languages were used as the way to disguise American intel in all 3 theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    Little known facts, mmm?...

1. USSR was outnumbered by German (plus their allies) forces 1.5-2 to 1 in the early stages of the war. Right until Battle of Moscow.

2. The NKVD rear lines (that allegedly had an order to shoot anyone who retreated) had a completely different order - to arrest those fleeing and bring them to tribunal. The shoot to kill order... was actually used by German SS rear lines. USSR adopted rear lines practice after the Battle of Moscow as a response to German tactics, but never issued an order to kill on sight.

3. General Zhukov issued an order for infantry to attack through minefields as if they were not there. That is well known. What is little known are 2 things:
    a) His reasoning for this order. Germans usually placed minefields in otherwise very poorly protected areas. And soldiers had a choice - attack a heavily fortified zone, under machine gun fire and artillery bombardment, or lose several dozen men wounded and killed by mines and flank German lines. It was a very calculated, albeit brutal war mathematics to save soldier's lives.
    b) General Patton issued the same order in 1944 to his troops.

4. Most of Lend Lease came to USSR in 1944-45. Right until the Battle of Kursk, the last German attempt at an offensive, only about 10% of Lend Lease has been delivered. And that constituted about 1% of USSR war production.

5. USSR stopped Germany and went on the offensive while having access to 110-120 million population. Germany alone was 90 million, add the rest of the Axis power countries to that. Meaning, it was an about 2 to 1 advantage to German favor in terms of population to draw from and use in the war industry. I am not even mentioning occupied territories where slavery was pretty normal for local populations.

6. Stalin purged his Generals and no one was left to command the army is a complete myth. Out of 1050 army Generals and about 200 navy and Aerial forces ones (Iknow, that is a lot of Generals to have), only 18 were shot. Most due to incompetence and alleged sabotage. 90% of military staff who were "purged" from 1938 onward, returned to active duties by 1941.
    Now this, people, is what historical revisionism and Russian propaganda looks like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Yep, in fact Austrians, Czechs and Hungarians are so genetically similar, they're almost indistinguishable. Hitler was Austrian. When he invaded Czechoslovakia, he was basically invading his own people. This is why nationalism is complete cancer.
    There's more to a nation than genetics.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Germany didn't attack Russia in Winter. It attacked in Summer since the worst season is Spring with it's heavy rainfall and muddy marshes, halting the advance of tanks and motorized infantry. The eastern front war also lasted 4 years so saying they "attacked in the winter" is the most retarded shit ever.

Also, Russian tactics did NOT involve sending hordes of unarmed people at the enemy. That was Nazi propaganda which the West took and spread after the war was done. Saying so would be extremely disrespectful to some incredible commanders the Soviets had like for example Zhukov. They were just EXTREMELY good at amassing forces and resources where the battles were to be held, since they basically chose the battlefields of the eastern fronts all along.

The US wasn't the only one to assault the french coast during D-Day. Far from it, in fact. This seems to be well known in the rest of the world but if you heard americans talk they seem to believe they single handedly won the western front or some inane shit like that.

Elemental Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    Also, Russian tactics did NOT involve sending hordes of unarmed people at the enemy.
    While not on a massive scale, the Soviets did have penal battalions that did exactly that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    They were just EXTREMELY good at amassing forces and resources where the battles were to be held, since they basically chose the battlefields of the eastern fronts all along.
    yup

One of the advantages of being the aggressor, you can amass your forces while being on the defensive you have to somewhat spread yourself equally along the front lines.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    There's more to a nation than genetics.
    Well, sure. Like the languages in the 3 countries mentioned couldn't be more different. The conversation was about whom Hitler considered racially superior/inferior and why. It takes one look at genetics to see how completely ludicrous his ideas were.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
    John Muir

Well, for some it seems that an unknow fact is that USSR were partially allied with Nazi Germany at the start of WWII to carve up eastern Europe, and they both attacked Poland in September 1939 (the pact was partially secret at the time), and this pact didn't break until Germany attacked USSR in 1941.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Well, sure. Like the languages in the 3 countries mentioned couldn't be more different. The conversation was about whom Hitler considered racially superior/inferior and why. It takes one look at genetics to see how completely ludicrous his ideas were.
    Yes and you went straight to nationalism = literally hitler.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2019-06-16 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    That's called a civil war. Granted that in this case it's a very small and a short one with relatively few casualties.
    Yeah civil war and suddenly Britain. Always expect Britain.

Just a whoopsie, all is splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentai View Post
    Yeah civil war and suddenly Britain. Always expect Britain.

Just a whoopsie, all is splendid.
    Civil wars usually have foreign collaborators as well.