Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Alliance Wrath Baby with Wow Classic Questions

i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering

1.)will i be able to dungeon spam at level 60 for enchanting mats?

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?

3.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt?

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?
    Last edited by Samuraijake; 2019-06-16 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering
    4.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt?
    Hahahaha No. Paladins are healers only in raids.

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Dungeon... spam? I mean, as much as your free time permits. Dungeons can take a few hours though. Probably only going to get mats via random greens that no body needs. Getting that higher level stuff is gonna be expensive as hell. If you plan on doing engineer and enchanting, I believe Gnomer and Black Rock Depths would be good places when you can due to them having spare parts crates that drop engin mats.

Warriors are the go to tanks in Vanilla. If I remember correctly, Pally doesn't even have a taunt.

1) Not really. Each boss only drops 1 piece of loot that people have to roll on a Need / Greed system. If anyone actually needs and item and you roll need to DE, you'll basically end up blacklisted on the server as a loot ninja. Even then, people almost always roll greed to sell the item for vendor cash.

2) I believe by 1.12 the city trade was global.

3) Yes, I believe they learn it around level 20ish.

4) It's not the lack of taunt that is the issue, but they can't become uncrushable like Warriors and don't have the high health pool of Druids. They were also very strong single target healers and therefore were relegated to healing. They're decent on trash, but not for bosses.

5) Depends on your definition of causal. Back when Vanilla was launched, it could easily take 10-14 days of /played time to max level. I assume it will take experienced players around 8 days of played total. So if you're playing at most 2 hours a day, I estimate about 3 - 4 months before you're max level.

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?

3.) do paladins have hand of freedom? (i couldnt find it on wowhead)

4.)does the dog whistle drop from the human dog master in scarlet monastery?

5.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt?

6.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?
    1) you could though you need to get greens and stuff to lvl it up while youre leveling too. quick note though, in groups anything green or above will be either automatically rolled by the need before greed loot system with a popup box or will be masterlooted (usually to an enchanter for all the greens).

2)to be honest i think they are connected but i wont say for certain cause i honestly dont remember.

3)they have blessing of freedom. not sure when it was changed to "hand" of freedom but its blessing.

4)yes it drops off houndmaster. theres also another trinket called barov's (something something) i think it might be pesant caller that summons 3 or 4 servants to do the same thing the hound does. its from a quest in western plaguelands.

5)on some aoe packs yes they do well. the lack of taunt isnt the thing that does them in. its the lack of a way to get mana back. once a pally runs out of mana their aggro generation is piss poor. that combined with the gear pieces just not being there or suited to tanking makes pallies the 3rd worst tank in vanilla behind warriors and druids.

6)that depends on how many hours per day you want to put in. they say the fastest leveler 1-60 was like 4 and a half days played . now that is with a super optimal route with no people tagging their mobs and so on and so on. i think 200 hrs played would be more like it. thats 8.3 full days of played time. so maybe 2 months ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    :/

why you gotta hurt me like dat.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    If you plan on doing engineer and enchanting, I believe Gnomer and Black Rock Depths would be good places when you can due to them having spare parts crates that drop engin mats.

! -- this is some good ass information so gnomeragon and brd eh? i mainly leveling enchanting first and didnt have a a real answer for engineering leveling.. so this is pretty helpful

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Warriors are the go to tanks in Vanilla. If I remember correctly, Pally doesn't even have a taunt.

1) Not really. Each boss only drops 1 piece of loot that people have to roll on a Need / Greed system. If anyone actually needs and item and you roll need to DE, you'll basically end up blacklisted on the server as a loot ninja. Even then, people almost always roll greed to sell the item for vendor cash.

2) I believe by 1.12 the city trade was global.

3) Yes, I believe they learn it around level 20ish.

1) nah i wont roll need for DE items.. just greed

2.) oh thats good news then since i believe it starts on 1.12

3) i figured out the "hand of freedom" issue... just noticed the name changed on it back then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post

5) Depends on your definition of causal. Back when Vanilla was launched, it could easily take 10-14 days of /played time to max level. I assume it will take experienced players around 8 days of played total. So if you're playing at most 2 hours a day, I estimate about 3 - 4 months before you're max level.
    did rested xp exist?

:
    did rested xp exist?
    Yeah, but it's only 5% rested xp per 8 hours not logged in, so it's not that much.

Paladins are just not tanks in vanilla, lack of taunt and complete lack of longevity is really crushing.

There’s no disenchant button in vanilla, so you have to win the item, and dungeons dropping epics isn’t really a thing so you won’t get epic mats.

In classic your class choice almost dictates your role.
    As a paladin if you are good enough or well liked enough, or FIRST you may be able to be Ret within raids but numbers are normally low.
    Healing is the sure fire slot, Tanking is more limited to 5 man dungeons i think stratholme undead side would be pretty good for a prot pally to farm, however getting tanking gear will be off spec while you heal (from raids) or mostly dungeon pieces so keep that in mind and respecing is very costly so a prot paladin to farm mats is better an alt than a main if you wish to make gold.

I would suggest you make an alt for farming enchanting materials and pick a popular class to raid with, Mages Rogues Warriors dps, druid shaman priest paladin healer, warrior tank, anything else is likely to be a niche i mean warlocks are okay hunters are okay but you don't often run a lot of either, feral ret and enchance shaman is often a one off depending on your makeup, and druids can tank in a crunch.

But we don't really know what group layouts will be private(illegal) servers tended towards the best groups they could build but due to skill increasing drasticly over the last 15 years its possible everyone will improve so much that having a couple of lesser specs to offer buffs would be acceptable, if you do pick one of the "lesser" specs, look into the weapons that benefit the raid, enchance can use an axe? that gives a spell power boost which is pretty mint it can be used by ret and hunters too (the latter not very effectively lol) i'm not sure what ferals can use i'm not sure about procs in kitty form its been a long as time.

But level something first find a group of friends and see how it goes.. if you guild gets into raiding and you go pretty far a paladin wont be main tanking and not likely to offtank often either, but its possible by time you get into that situation you are happy to heal and you've got an alt to farm materials on. (as healing isn't a good farmer either lol)
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?
    Hello wrath baby. Vanilla baby here. Let me answer your question to the best of my abilities.

1. Yes, of course. You will get a lot of greens and blues in level 60 dungeons, which you can disenchant for enchanting mats. The more geared your party is, the less likely anybody will need anything, and the more shards at the end of the run to split between people. I'm not going to say this is the best way to get enchanting mats. If you know how to make gold really fast, then buying them off AH is another option.

2. Yes. Tradechat is in all cities. AH used to be in Ironforge only, but they added one to the other two cities later in vanilla, giving you the choice to hang out in another capital cities without missing out on much. Some people still say IF is more convenient though because you can fly to most raids a bit faster.

3. Hmm, maybe, but they won't be a top-tier tank. A mediocre tank at best, because they don't have a taunt. Honestly, it's kind of rare seeing paladin tanks in vanilla, even back in the day. Though due to the way theorycrafting knowledge has advanced over the years, I suspect some daring players will find a way to make it work.

4. Leveling 1-60 on a semi-hardcore or casual basis will take about 200-250 hours, perhaps a little more if you are not leveling a good class to level up with.
    Last edited by Akasha64; 2019-06-17 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Off course you are.

1) Yes
    2) In 1.12 - yes
    3) Bosses are immune to taunt anyways. If a raid group wants to make paladin to be able to tank - yes.
    4) Who are you again? How are we supposed to know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Read the thread in my sig, it will tell you more than everything you want to know.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    :/

why you gotta hurt me like dat.....
    Better start running that stratholm UD to get a Baron 2% crit robe from clothies huehue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I'll note that you absolutely can tank well while leveling. The irony here is that you have to go Holy to tank (At least until 20), because Prot has no way to AoE for threat. You just gear like a tank as a Holy Paladin, or start putting points into Prot after you get to 20. You can tank or heal acceptably until 60, although you'll start to notice tanking becoming inefficient around 50.

At endgame you're a healer.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Always that one Person you can tell didn't play Vanilla, commenting on Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Yes, if you have a GUild with Premade Groups even better.
    2. At the patch they are doing Classic it did.
    3. they could, it just required having People who weren't pseudo-elitist trash in your groups.
    4. a few months.

1. Of course, don't expect it to be very fast or efficient though.
    2. Think so, yes.
    3. Quite badly. Expect a lot of naysayers and general resistance. Warriors are the go to tanking class/spec.
    4. Probably around 200-300 hours /played. You can count the real life time from there. Playing 2 hours a day every day, it could quite well take you nearly half a year to reach 60.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Always that one Person you can tell didn't play Vanilla, commenting on Vanilla.
    He's still right. Basically any raid group that uses paladin tank over warrior tank is just shooting themselves in the foot. It's doable, but it just makes everyone else's life harder.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Read the thread in my sig, it will tell you more than everything you want to know.
    Just read it and all I can say is LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    3)they have blessing of freedom. not sure when it was changed to "hand" of freedom but its blessing.
    The temporary blessings like freedom were changed to hands in the Wrath prepatch so they wouldn't remove more longterm blessings like might and kings.

1.) Not really, unless you have a 5 man pre-made dungeoen group that are willing to let you have all the items that no one else need. It is very unlikely that a random 5 man pug, would allow you to take all the items no ones needs, because there is a fair amount of money to be made vendoring or selling them on AH after the run, sometimes you could get a group accepting that you take the items and disenchant them, put ONLY if the group gets to /roll on the shards.

2.) Yes

3.) Absolutly not, this will never happen. (If anyone tells you otherwise in this thread, just regard everything that person said, they clearly should not be giving you advise on Classic at all)

4.) If you play around 10 hours a week, it will take you roughly 6 months to get to level 60.
    Last edited by Roguebox; 2019-06-17 at 08:49 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    You're gonna be so poor levelling an enchanting toon first.