Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Thinking about it now, what a idiotic way to deal with the shards. I remember too that we rolled for shards in pugs and stuff, but now the idea that the enchanter wasn't supposed to keep it all is kinda funny. Times were indeed different back then.
    The good old days where your reputation mattered and being a dick got you excluded from all pugs on the server

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Thinking about it now, what a idiotic way to deal with the shards. I remember too that we rolled for shards in pugs and stuff, but now the idea that the enchanter wasn't supposed to keep it all is kinda funny. Times were indeed different back then.
    Yeah, from what I remember, the enchanters got to keep most of the mats they got from green stuff (dust or whatever), but the bigger stuff like shards got /rolled on and distributed at the end of the run. I guess the deal was that other players passed on stuff that nobody wanted instead of taking it for vendor, and in return the enchanters got to keep all the green mats + a chance to roll on the shards.

I also remember a few groups where we just did a "everyone gets an equal share of the shards, including the enchanter" rule. Then we'd only roll if there weren't enough shards to go around, or if we had an odd number left over after everyone got a share.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Always that one Person you can tell didn't play Vanilla, commenting on Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -
    3. they could, it just required having People who weren't pseudo-elitist trash in your groups.
    Wait, what? No my dude.
    They could pull off 5-mans, sure, but no FUCKING way the average prot-paly can effectively MT BWL, AQ40 or Naxx during guild progression.
    Now the other shit that "elitest" min/max "trash" bitched about was 100% bullshit sometimes. I'm talking about Enh shams, SPs, etc.
    Enh with Nightfall is great (or running shock spec), SPs are amazing when you're more lock heavy (4-5+).

As was said above, once you're oom (pot on CD), you're totally fucked & would basically have to call out in raid to your locks to /esc for the rest of the fight so they don't pull. It's a joke. Not until TBC (when prot became AWESOME !!!) was it remotely "viable" for the average raid-group, average guild.
    Last edited by J012D4N; 2019-06-18 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Sorry, but that's bullshit. Paladin-Tanks were very viable after BC and full tanks after WotLK. I tanked throughout BC, and it was a blast. Only in Vanilla Paladin couldn't tank, but after BC, when Paladin got an castable-aggro buff AND also a taunt (they got one in BC that they could cast on a friendly person to taunt from them up to 3 enemies)

Paladin-Tanks were also super viable in Raids too; they got the raid-set, and in Mount Hyjal they were actually even necessary to tank there. It's possible without them, YES, but Paladins were still important.
    yea, you should learn to read. I never said pallys couldnt tank, i said tanks couldnt tank w/o aggro management and taunt.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Yeah, from what I remember, the enchanters got to keep most of the mats they got from green stuff (dust or whatever), but the bigger stuff like shards got /rolled on and distributed at the end of the run. I guess the deal was that other players passed on stuff that nobody wanted instead of taking it for vendor, and in return the enchanters got to keep all the green mats + a chance to roll on the shards.

I also remember a few groups where we just did a "everyone gets an equal share of the shards, including the enchanter" rule. Then we'd only roll if there weren't enough shards to go around, or if we had an odd number left over after everyone got a share.
    Yeah, had those same experiences myself. It made sense back then, but nowadays it's a given that the enchanter just keeps it all. Last time I did this was in TBC I think, WotLK changed a lot of the mindset on stuff like that. Things being more accessible was a game changer, for good and for worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leefa View Post
    The good old days where your reputation mattered and being a dick got you excluded from all pugs on the server
    I was discussing in another thread about this, and it seemed to be very server dependent. Few people dealt with those "list" and it didn't really help if 50 people knew you were a dick if 5000 didn't. And it was mostly ninjas that got the rep, not those who were assholes. But that was my experience.

Community in pugs was however a tad better, but oh boy we met some real elitist pricks back then too

So you, then? Pally tanks were not possible realistically until BC. They did not have the correct toolkit or itemization.

Someone's gonna be surprised that their classic experience doesn't match up with the private server they played on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin is slow at levelling, but hard to kill
    Once you get to the plaguelands, leveling speeds up by a considerable margin. If i remember correctly a prot hybrid specc did extremely well with pulling bigger groups there and leveling / farming the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering

1.)will i be able to dungeon spam at level 60 for enchanting mats?

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?

3.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt?

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?

1.)will i be able to dungeon spam at level 60 for enchanting mats?Early going you will be dungeon spamming for gear but it is not so much a spam as it is a grind. When you are fully geared in T2 or higher dungeons are a joke that you face roll. The 2 issues with enchanting is you need to be able to supply the beast with gear to level it and selling the enchants after leveled. The best way to level enchanting is by pairing it with tailoring, this is why most enchanters were cloth casters in vanilla. 2nd, Selling enchanting in vanilla is not easy and requires you to spam in /2 for long periods of time. The best money makers are herb/alch and mining/blacksmithing and the best raid profession is engineering. Resist trinkets are OP. BS because everyone early game will want an arcanite reaper

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?Everyone is in IF once you hit 60, it is closer to everything

3.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt?Yes you can tank, you are no where near as effective as a warrior and run into mana issues, there are also fights where it is just impossible to do as a pali. If you are wanting to tank roll warrior, if you are ok with healing most of the time roll pali

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?It is a slow process and can be slowed down depending on character choice and if you have friends to level with. But 15+ days played is likely

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

1. Yes, if you have a GUild with Premade Groups even better.
    2. At the patch they are doing Classic it did.
    3. they could, it just required having People who weren't pseudo-elitist trash in your groups.
    4. a few months.
    Ahh always someone who barely raided in Vanilla(not private server trash but Vanilla) commenting on topics they know little about.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Ahh always someone who barely raided in Vanilla(not private server trash but Vanilla) commenting on topics they know little about.
    Considering I have many times spoken about having raided up to 4H in Naxx in Vanilla as a Ret Paladin, your trash opinion is unneeded.

7+ Year Old Account
    i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?

Warriors tend to be very poor, because they constantly have to repair their gear. Enchanting and engineering are two professions that require lots of mats, and I believe that you will not be able to max them unless you have a gathering prof.

But, if you are the only dedicated enchanter in your guild, maybe your guildmates can provide you with their random greens so you can dis them and five them some free enchants to grind your enchanting skill up.

So, I guess 1 is a no!

2) Yes they are connected.

3) It's gonna be difficult, if not impossible. maybe an offtank for adds etc

4) Playing 2-5 hours per day? 2-3 months I would guess. Which is fine, because patch 2 will probably take more than 6 months to arrive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    That is not correct. It varies quite a bit.

5mans/10mans/20mans: Mixed, some tauntable, some are not.
    MC: All bosses are tauntable.
    BWL: Firemaw, Ebonroc and Flamegor are tauntable.
    AQ40:Skeram, Bugtrio, Sartura (I think) and Fankriss are tauntable.
    Naxx: Instructor Razivious and 4hm are tauntable.
    It's not really the taunt that does them in though it's more about the lack of mana regeneration. Blizzard fixed this in TBC but prior Pally tanks were mana-starved and just horrible in raids because of it.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Off course you are.

1) Yes
    2) In 1.12 - yes
    3) Bosses are immune to taunt anyways. If a raid group wants to make paladin to be able to tank - yes.
    4) Who are you again? How are we supposed to know?
    Wow people on this forum must be so dense irl that they have to spend all day on a forum to get any kind of interaction even if it means causing an argument because you cant understand how to breakdown simple sentences.

. He literally tells you what kind of player he is.....therefore a rough estimate for a casual player would be somewhere in the range of 1-2 months of game time.

So in return.... Who are you again? And why are you here, giving your own 2 cents if you have no answers yourself?

Shouldn't you know this with 7 years experience and 13k posts. Says a lot

ah a prot pally good luck with that one bud

Don't make your life harder than it has to be

Unless that's your whole thing, then ignore me

https://www.joanasworld.com/azeroth.htm

I'm sure someone will come along eventually and make a AzerothAutoPilot/WowPro for Classic, I don't know of one though.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2019-06-19 at 12:28 PM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Considering I have many times spoken about having raided up to 4H in Naxx in Vanilla as a Ret Paladin, your trash opinion is unneeded.
    It is funny when someone gives you the same negative attitude you gave other people you get all but hurt.......There is a reason you only made it to 4h, you played ret pali. Your group was playing with handicaps.......Where I was in the world top 5 for clearing the place playing with pali's that healed.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    It's not really the taunt that does them in though it's more about the lack of mana regeneration. Blizzard fixed this in TBC but prior Pally tanks were mana-starved and just horrible in raids because of it.
    On some bosses you are required to taunt due to fight mechanics.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

You can dungeon spam, sort of. Takes time to find a group, unless you have friends who want to support you.

Paladin tanks were a thing, but as people have pointed out a lack of theorycrafting was done considering how good they were late game as healers. You will probably want to be an alchemist to chug mana potions repeatedly, the runes from Dire Maul that damage you for mana, and just about anything else to gain back your mana. You can down rank your spells which help, and Salvation can't be ignored, but you'll have to be given time to gain a threat lead. I plan on going this route myself. I have a blacksmith on beta right now and realized that, while great having good armor, being able to chug mana potions is vital.

It took me nearly a year to hit 60 with making alts and no idea what I was doing. I hit 60 shortly after ZG came out and I started in January of 2005. My priest took maybe 2-3 months, but I was able to fight 3-4 mobs at a time and wand everything to death. Just took a long time, but I knew how to play better by then.

Vanilla Paladin Tanks:
    Can you tank? Sure, more or less. You can technically avoid crushing blows, but it's not reliably done, like with warriors. Lack of taunt hurts but isn't the end of the world. You'll lose the ability to taunt boost aggro which is more important than just the taunt. You also lack a ranged ability or reliable attack (the boomerang isn't reliable with cooldown).

Will you tank?
    No.
    Are you GM?
    If you are a bad GM you can tank.

The issue here isn't so much that paladins can't tank, it's that they are so much better at healing and giving everyone blessings.
    Why would a guild struggle to gear a paladin for tanking when they can spend less time on a warrior and have a better tank right away. And then the paladin could steal some cloth and be one of the best healers right away.

5+ Year Old Account

You can for sure tank 5 mans as a prot paladin. In a raid you're a healer/support/hybrid class.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan