Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Red face Got first aquarium, caught small fishes from wild pool~

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00004337442315

It took me hrs a day to catch available fishes and shells, keeping them alive as many as possible (before the aquarium arrived, no aerator available, just use a bucket to load them). Now with it, I can keep them alive all the time. Any advice for me to raise these little creatures?

10+ Year Old Account
    don't overfeed them.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    don't overfeed them.
    Yep, I bought 0.5mm diameter fish food, just once or twice a day, with grams of them, or find oil-free bread or cookie fragments.

Listen to Thundercleese.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post

Listen to Thundercleese.
    Okay, I'll try that advise.

Release them back in the wild. Would you like it if someone decided that you should live in a glass tank for the rest of your life?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Release them back in the wild. Would you like it if someone decided that you should live in a glass tank for the rest of your life?
    However, people raise dogs and cats which tamed from the wild ones, should we all release them? In my opinion, raising fish is no difference than raising a dog or cat, if you treat them well, that's OK~ By the way, the small,round fishes appeared most called Rosy bitterling, can be found in great number in any of the wild pond, and they have high reproduction power which is enough to keep the vast group~

I’m sure if you could ask the fish they would tell you they love it: guaranteed food and free from predation.

10+ Year Old Account
    now that you posted that i too shall buy my own aquarium and raise a whole school of fish. ALL IN CAPTIVITY! bwhahahaha!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00004337442315

It took me hrs a day to catch available fishes and shells, keeping them alive as many as possible (before the aquarium arrived, no aerator available, just use a bucket to load them). Now with it, I can keep them alive all the time. Any advice for me to raise these little creatures?
    I've always found small fish from the wild to be a bitch to take care of because they don't eat the food. They will end up slowly dieing off.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989 View Post
    However, people raise dogs and cats which tamed from the wild ones, should we all release them?
    I personally own a dog and cat and try the best I can to provide my pets a happy, healthy life. That being said, I know my dog would be much happier if I lived a different lifestyle and she could have more outside time with me/spent our days together. I did not have this opinion before getting pets (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them) but after a lot of time reflecting on things I've decided that it is unethical to own pets (obviously in my opinion). Animals have little to no legal rights and are given no agency as pets. Modern life is not conducive to healthy pet ownership. There are a lot of people who just leave their pets home all day, cooped up in a small space, and are at best kindof negligent, and at worse are abusive and/or shitty pet owners.

So in essence, my answer would be the same no matter the pet. I don't think releasing pets would be ethical, either--dogs and cats are domesticated and can't survive on their own in the wild. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon if ever but if we were ever to collectively decide that pet ownership is wrong, that it is something that would be phased out over time.

Also, the dude said in the OP that he captured wild animals to put them in a cage. Not the same as domesticated animals that can't survive in the wild.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I've always found small fish from the wild to be a bitch to take care of because they don't eat the food. They will end up slowly dieing off.
    You might used fish food specially made for domestic pet fishes? I have the similar problem.My fishes eat little with specialized fish food(might eat some when extermely hungry).However, I found they accept the fragments of cookies and bread, but without any forms of oil.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, the dude said in the OP that he captured wild animals to put them in a cage. Not the same as domesticated animals that can't survive in the wild.
    Fish we are talking about small fish not a dam fox or wolf or something of intelligence.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing on either of those pages makes me see fish much smarter then say insects.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

I personally own a dog and cat and try the best I can to provide my pets a happy, healthy life. That being said, I know my dog would be much happier if I lived a different lifestyle and she could have more outside time with me/spent our days together. I did not have this opinion before getting pets (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them) but after a lot of time reflecting on things I've decided that it is unethical to own pets (obviously in my opinion). Animals have little to no legal rights and are given no agency as pets. Modern life is not conducive to healthy pet ownership. There are a lot of people who just leave their pets home all day, cooped up in a small space, and are at best kindof negligent, and at worse are abusive and/or shitty pet owners.

So in essence, my answer would be the same no matter the pet. I don't think releasing pets would be ethical, either--dogs and cats are domesticated and can't survive on their own in the wild. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon if ever but if we were ever to collectively decide that pet ownership is wrong, that it is something that would be phased out over time.

Feral cats and dogs exist.

And doesn't like 99% of all animals have like 2-3 times the lifespan in captivity than a wild version of the species?

As long as he takes care of them properly it's going to have a much comfortable life in a tank instead of needing to worry about being eaten, finding food, etc...

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Nothing on either of those pages makes me see fish much smarter then say insects.
    Sea mammals might meet his needs, but few of us might have funds and legitimate to raise them.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We have hard water where I am so we have to buy stuff for our piranha tank that adjusts the levels or something. That’s been the biggest issue, as fish can be sensitive to that sort of shit.
    Yep, and more basically, they are very sensitive to oxygen level of the water, without enough of them, they might choke to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    It says in both articles that fish are smarter than some primates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Feral cats and dogs exist.

And doesn't like 99% of all animals have like 2-3 times the lifespan in captivity than a wild version of the species?

As long as he takes care of them properly it's going to have a much comfortable life in a tank instead of needing to worry about being eaten, finding food, etc...
    Yeah but I think the likelihood of say my Golden Retriever being able to revert to feraldom/hunt and kill her own food is pretty low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found the hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.