Lightbulb Please Help me with PC upgrade

Hi people of technology,

I built a computer 5 years ago that I would like to upgrade in order to keep up with the newer games

the specs are :

CASE: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES 350D BLACK
    CPU: INTEL CORE I5-4670K 3.40GHZ LGA1150
    COOLER : COOLERMASTER RR-212E-16PK-R1 HYPER 212
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
    RAM: KINGSTON KHX16C9B1BK2/8 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3
    GPU: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX770 GV-N770OC-2GD 2GΒ
    HD: SEAGATE ST1000DM003 1TB BARRACUDA 7200
    SSD: SAMSUNG MZ-7TE120BW 840 EVO
    PSU: XFX P1-650S-NLB9 PRO SERIES 650W PSU

My budget is around 600e
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

With your budget, the only things to upgrade there are the video card and possibly more RAM. Otherwise,.wait until you can afford a whole new build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm,

if I had only 600 EUR/USD available, I'd only upgrade the SSD to a maybe faster and bigger Samsung Pro, m.2 maybe, so that game installs can live there. Stock up on RAM to atleast 16GB preferably 32GB and upgrade the graphics card. Given that the higher ranged cards cost easily 600 EUR, the budget is already used.

Bigger upgrades involve usually a new Mainboard, new CPU, new RAM, new cooler, new PSU. If you don't care about a non overclockable i5, ok, budget builds will be available

From my experience: my son uses my old trusty i7-4770K and achieves reasonable gaming performance with the mentioned SSD, RAM and GFX Upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by buffsplz View Post
    Hmm,

if I had only 600 EUR/USD available, I'd only upgrade the SSD to a maybe faster and bigger Samsung Pro, m.2 maybe, so that game installs can live there. Stock up on RAM to atleast 16GB preferably 32GB and upgrade the graphics card. Given that the higher ranged cards cost easily 600 EUR, the budget is already used.

Bigger upgrades involve usually a new Mainboard, new CPU, new RAM, new cooler, new PSU. If you don't care about a non overclockable i5, ok, budget builds will be available

From my experience: my son uses my old trusty i7-4770K and achieves reasonable gaming performance with the mentioned SSD, RAM and GFX Upgrades.
    32GB of Ram are useless for 99% of all PC user and same goes for M.2 SSDs also you cant install a M.2 on a old Mainboard.
    He also dont need a 600€ GPU a GTX 1660/1660TI will be enough for 1080p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buffsplz View Post
    Hmm,

Nvme drives are a waste of money (performance is roughly the same as in normal SATA drives for random iops, which is what actually matters), and not all boards support them, especially not as old as he has. Agreed on getting a bigger one though. Also Samsung Pro drives offer no benefits over their evo lineup aside from a longer warranty. Just go evo

32gb of ram is also all kinds of overkill, and serves literally no point in today's world outside of simulation heavy workloads and epeen stroking.
    -source on both: I went from a 550/500 SATA ssd to a 970evo and from 16gb of ram to 32 when I built my new pc 9 months ago. Same boot times and my ram usage is nowhere near full outside of work.

For op: bigger ssd, 8gb of ram more, both for QoL, then throw the rest at a new gpu. 1660ti or 2060 is the sweet spot for value atm.
    Something else you can consider buying would be a new psu from seasonic or something superflower OEM'd, but that's just me talking, your psu is probably fine
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-06-17 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    For op: bigger ssd, 8gb of ram more, both for QoL, then throw the rest at a new gpu. 1660ti or 2060 is the sweet spot for value atm.
    Something else you can consider buying would be a new psu from seasonic or something superflower OEM'd, but that's just me talking, your psu is probably fine
    Thank you for the advice!

You think my CPU is still fine ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by airapollo4 View Post

It's fine for gaming, yeah. You'd get some benefit from upgrading, but you'd get more from spending the money elsewhere currently. Cpus haven't really moved that much in gaming performance in the last 5-6 generations

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by airapollo4 View Post

Until you get more money to buy a new cpu+motherboard+RAM combo then yes. Your cpu is more than good enough.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup