Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Who gets what items?

Hey, so i've been wondering for a while now, there is quite a few 2 hander drops in the game but warriors prefer fury, paladins will generally only be accepted as holy, shamans the same.

Who gets Ashkandi, Might of Menethil, Ashbringer and other pretty cool 2 handers in the game, is your guild going to roll them out for offspecc to members or are you expecting to just DE these pieces or use them as hunter statsticks?

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, Hunters will ofcourse get first prio for all those weapons, it's only logical.

....Sarcasm aside, it will proberly come down to DPS gain or, if we are lucky, DKP. If you want Ashkandier, you just have to bet the highest amount of DKP
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

How viable is ret, arms and enhancement in raids, do they do acceptable damage in any way or is it just a disaster completely?

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I never got anywhere near Naxx in Classic WoW, but....I feel like any guild who'd outright DE something like Might of Menethil when there are warriors/pallies who could use it is a shit guild that I'd never want to be a part of, regardless of Naxx clearing capability.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    How viable is ret, arms and enhancement in raids, do they do acceptable damage in any way or is it just a disaster completely?
    Arms is fine but ret and enh are really in raids.

Very low, but it really doesn't matter. Raids are pretty easy and if you show up you will get a spot. Raiding in Classic is pretty casual, no need to Min-Max everything and only take Rogues and Mages for Damage.

So who gets the weapons, then if the 2hander classes are largely relegated to non 2h roles.

Well to be fair. Fury was dual wielding 1 handers because titans grip eas a bc/erath thing and not a vanilla thing. Arms warriors would get 2 handers, hunters as well as a stat stick (if i remember right they could equip both a melee and ranged at same time.)

I spent all my DKP on one of the axes in BWL on my shaman. Had a blast using it in BGs befor anyone had gear enough to survive it. No serious raiders really needed 2handers back then and the most likely won't be needing them in classic either.

My GM was furious becuase of my lack of dedication (I was a healer of course) but it was worth it! Well, it was back then. Sitting around waiting for a WF proc as the only way to do damage now would be a horror. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would play that old crap again but hey, each to their own.

- - - Updated - - -

So who gets the weapons, then if the 2hander classes are largely relegated to non 2h roles.
    Yeah, there are no 2h-roles in raids. Simple as that.

The one with most DKP gets it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We gave our two handed weapons to warriors early on. Arms warriors actually do good damage, and there is an over abundance of two handed weapons to choose from as opposed to one handed fury weapons. By the time BWL ends, most warriors that are meant for DPS generally transition to fury. Lots of reasons why, but mostly, DPS warriors can be fully supported and the 'need' for a metric shit load of potential tanks mostly diminishes as well. One of the nice things about arms warriors is that they don't really lose much in a PvE environment from going 31/5/15, which allows them to tank super easily. Fury warriors can't easily make this switch, although tanking while dual wielding in defensive stance is absolutely an option.

On Horde side it's really easy. Enhancement shaman really don't do that much damage, they can't use swords, and some of the best two handed weapons are swords. The reason you actually saw shaman running around with Sulfuras in PvP wasn't because a guild had a dedicated enhancement shaman, it was simply because Sulfuras didn't really matter and people would rather give it to a shaman that heals in raids, but PvPs as enhancement. Aside from early progression, most two handed weapons were treated as PvP weapons, thus there was no advantage given any class. The axe that drops off of Patchwerk was basically an open roll for our guild 14 years ago, because nobody would actively be using it in raids, a shaman won it.

I presume the same would apply to paladins as well.

Hunters can effectively use everything, but in PvE it's simply get the most contribution of stats that you possibly can. This usually lends itself to dual wielding for a minor stat gain over using a two handed weapon. Two handed weapons despite having lower overall stats by the time you compare them to dual enchanted one handers are preferred in PvP simply because if you do find yourself having to use a melee weapon, a two handed weapon will pack more punch.

For us hunters generally got the scraps. They have so many fucking options and generally the stat differential between the options they have is incremental as best. Of the actual "DPS" classes present in Vanilla, hunters are also the worst scaling DPS, which becomes pretty apparent by the time you hit AQ and Naxxaramas.

TLDR; Two handed weapons largely don't matter.

Give warriors everything =)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yeah, there are no 2h-roles in raids. Simple as that.
    2-handed fury warriors wants to say hi. Highest dps spec in vanilla by far, but lets just forget about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimad View Post
    Well to be fair. Fury was dual wielding 1 handers because titans grip eas a bc/erath thing and not a vanilla thing. Arms warriors would get 2 handers, hunters as well as a stat stick (if i remember right they could equip both a melee and ranged at same time.)
    That is a known thing. The question comes from 2 hnd specs being weak wnough you wont often see them so many groups will de the items to turn them into much needed mats over an off spec choice or having more less desired specs in the group.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    They are inferior to other DPS specs such as fury, frost, fire, destruction, combat etc. That said, they bring some utility which improves the raids overall dps by a fair margin, such as Nightfall (I think that's what the axe is called) procs, and, in the case of the shaman, windfury for your melee group.
    Exactly, people tend to gloss over this. Also I have seen a bunch of videos of people on private servers able to keep up in the top 5 as enhancement, and if it is anything similar to actual classic then they will do just fine when geared properly.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

It will go to whoever wants to bid some dkp I assume. At this point in the lifespan of this game playing ret or any other sub optimal dps class is meaningless in raids.

If you have a group of people who know how to play the game and they all take sub-optimal specs I imagine they will still clear raids. Everybody is over dramatic about "ret (or insert class here) sucks lol don't take it to MC!"

People should play what they want and find a group of like minded people. Bosses will still die. It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Well, Hunters will ofcourse get first prio for all those weapons, it's only logical.

....Sarcasm aside, it will proberly come down to DPS gain or, if we are lucky, DKP. If you want Ashkandier, you just have to bet the highest amount of DKP
    dualwielding is often better for hunters since you can get 1 handers that give you the exact same stats as a 2hander but 1handers can get +15 agility (so +30 agility effectively) and 2handers can only get +25 agility.

good example is the 2hander from diremauls King Gordok "Barbarous Blade" which is the best 2handed statstick you can get until AQ.
    however, it is beat by the 1hand sword+dagger from Hakkar in ZG due to the fact that those will give u more more crit and more ap because of the enchants

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    2-handed fury warriors wants to say hi. Highest dps spec in vanilla by far, but lets just forget about that...
    the only thing 2handed fury was good for, was consistent cleave dmg on 2-4 targets... singletarget they had no chance and for burst cleave vs an arms warrior they also had no chance.. say hi to that -.-

Quote Originally Posted by blahdiblah View Post
    dualwielding is often better for hunters since you can get 1 handers that give you the exact same stats as a 2hander but 1handers can get +15 agility (so +30 agility effectively) and 2handers can only get +25 agility.

good example is the 2hander from diremauls King Gordok "Barbarous Blade" which is the best 2handed statstick you can get until AQ.
    however, it is beat by the 1hand sword+dagger from Hakkar in ZG due to the fact that those will give u more more crit and more ap because of the enchants

- - - Updated - - -

the only thing 2handed fury was good for, was consistent cleave dmg on 2-4 targets... singletarget they had no chance and for burst cleave vs an arms warrior they also had no chance.. say hi to that -.-
    Hunter’s dps sucks anyway so there is no need to min-max that. Hunters are important due to their utility.

You occasionally see a Enhancement with Nitghtfall for the magic buff who takes a totem build to buff melee. Arms dosent technically suck but is in no way is as valuable as Fury. Ret needs AQ40 gear to get up to the same category as Arms.

2h warriors were a thing. Also enh... well more like 50/50 resto/enh were a thing too. They would drop wf for a melee group and could throw out heals, you wouldn't want a full dedicated healer that close to a boss because they generated extra aggro, but they were still good enough to do damage while also applying a pretty decent damage increase to 4 other players.
    Ultimately 2h went to whoever used the most dkp, or sucked off the loot council, ultimately leading to a guild implosion.