Business trips and hotels, yay or nay?

Sitting here in the sun, drinking some special brews, chewing away some truffle oiled fries and a tomahawk. Having a hotel stay due to travel distances being too long for work. Boss is paying, I love it.

Its a tad lonely though. Probably the reason i started this thread. But is has a certain vibe to it. Just you and.. you. Out of the house for a day. In total serenity.

Do you travel / stay over for work and do you enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Sitting here in the sun, drinking some special brews, chewing away some truffle oiled fries and a tomahawk. Having a hotel stay due to travel distances being too long for work. Boss is paying, I love it.

Its a tad lonely though. Probably the reason i started this thread. But is has a certain vibe to it. Just you and.. you. Out of the house for a day. In total serenity.

My best friend works for the gov that gets to do it on tax payer dime at least once per month for a whole week lol.

If the person doing it doesn't mind being a loner

It's fun at first, until you get tired of it.

I always try to save some of the travel money so I wind up in cheap hotels and eating McDonalds.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Occasionally, yeah. Not very often, though. Long trips like that don't tend to happen too much at my place of work.

I hate traveling for work. I did it for a few years in my mid 20's and thought it was really cool. Now I hate being away from my family, my stuff, and my own bed. Won't take a job ever again with anything over 10% travel.

3+ Year Old Account

Once, in last company, my boss and I got 2 14-day business trips in U.S, and South East Asia during 2017-2018, After the tasks are finished, my boss advised me to visit some places of interests, such as Universal Park in Hollywood town and Singapore city, Pattaya City in Thailand and many others. So I think it's OK, if you boss know and approve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I used to quite a bit but no I have no need to travel for work anymore. That and who gets lonely after being on a business trip for a few days?

its fun from time to time.. my last big business trip was to Manila for a week.. i was the only one that didn't ask to go but yet got asked to go.... so i went for a week or so and had a BLAST. It really depends on who is with you though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

If you don't get out and explore, you're shortchanging yourself.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I had to do it a few times when I worked. Hated it with a passion. I wanted to be home with my wife and kids.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's to make up for whatever else you could be doing, certainly nothing wrong with enjoying a business trip provided you are doing something and getting something done on the dime of those willing to pay you to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah, it's to make up for whatever else you could be doing, certainly nothing wrong with enjoying a business trip provided you are doing something and getting something done on the dime of those willing to pay you to do it.
    Although me personally, I never did that shit on business, sure I COULD spend, sure I AM allowed, but keep in mind if it's business unless I am truly worth it competitive wise, I only spend what I need.

The $300 I saved the company can go towards a bonus, or keeping my business vs someone over charging for the same thing.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Although me personally, I never did that shit on business, sure I COULD spend, sure I AM allowed, but keep in mind if it's business unless I am truly worth it competitive wise, I only spend what I need.

The $300 I saved the company can go towards a bonus, or keeping my business vs someone over charging for the same thing.
    Some pay the employee a per diem amount and that is all you get and how you spend it is up to you. In some cases, you do not need to return any of the unspent amount. This is esp. true for government and state employees sent away on business or training. If you are fugal, you can make money.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Some pay the employee a per diem amount and that is all you get and how you spend it is up to you. In some cases, you do not need to return any of the unspent amount. This is esp. true for government and state employees sent away on business or training. If you are fugal, you can make money.
    Yeah, I am pretty blunt and up front, I say what I mean, and I mean what I say when it comes to business.

This is who I am, this is what I will do, and this is what I will charge or it cost.

Now obviously I have not been nor are most in a position to do, but I simply think it's a bad idea to get a reputation for being cheap, OR running people up. I rather come across as valuable and my work speaks for itself.

There is nothing about any job that is really valuable me sitting in the sun, taking my sweet ass time to get a job done, that otherwise could be done appropriately and in a efficient time.

I bought a gaming laptop several years ago specifically because I was being sent off to far-flung locations for solar installs. One day we would be in Palm Desert, the next we were in Simi Valley. Then Fallbrook, then Newport Beach, just all over the map. It was great except that some of the hotels had terrible internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I am pretty blunt and up front, I say what I mean, and I mean what I say when it comes to business.

This is who I am, this is what I will do, and this is what I will charge or it cost.

Now obviously I have not been nor are most in a position to do, but I simply think it's a bad idea to get a reputation for being cheap, OR running people up. I rather come across as valuable and my work speaks for itself.

There is nothing about any job that is really valuable me sitting in the sun, taking my sweet ass time to get a job done, that otherwise could be done appropriately and in a efficient time.
    And those are commendable traits. But with some , returning the money is not a option even. You can keep the extra and never be condemned for doing so. And if you are sent away on a training class, you can not leave until it is done. I had to spend a month away from home taking a required college credited course in Management. Hated it.

When I go out on business the company gives me 25 dollars for 3 meals a day, and 250 dollars for room and board a night. So 325 bucks per diem a day/night. Typically for breakfast and lunch I get no where close to that 25 so I can eat a really nice meal for dinner with some drinks. Usually don't stay at a hotel that is over 250 dollars a night either unless I am absolutely forced to stay somewhere like downtown San Francisco. So I usually pocket about 100 a day going on business. They directly pay for plane ticket and car rental so no gain or loss there. Thankfully most people like to do business in a place like Vegas so its no where near that expensive, food is often free or extremely cheap, and entertainment is in the lobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah not a fan, just like government, where in order to keep funding often times program directors will make sure they never have a surplus. I have a problem with this. Of course it's better to have some aside for a rainy day, but fear of having funding cut without merit is silly.

Context is important, but if I am over compensated for a job. I will use the extra funds to do something to add value to whatever service and job I am doing.

And although I disagree with you on mostly everything, I have to 100% agree nothing is more valuable than my time with loved ones or myself. I look forward to retirement.

I travel somewhere for on average once a month for a couple of days. It's nice to get out of the office and out of the usual routine. I can see how it can get tiring after awhile though. I start to get cranky if I have to do it more than twice a month.