Page 1 of 3
LastLast

8.2 - fire's time to shine?

Hello my friends.
    I'm huge fire mage fun, but i always start new expansion as warlock, cos fire is shit at the start of every expansion, and i dont like frost and arcane.
    Is 8.2 patch the time when crit values will be high enough to make fire shine?

10+ Year Old Account
    no

fire will not be shining unless blizzard considerably buffs it. This xpac doesn't follow prior old xpacs of "fire sucks until x crit" formula.

Fire has evolved, along with shitty azerite traits and essences that don't really help it to keep it p. garbage in 8.2

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    no

fire will not be shining unless blizzard considerably buffs it. This xpac doesn't follow prior old xpacs of "fire sucks until x crit" formula.

Fire has evolved, along with shitty azerite traits and essences that don't really help it to keep it p. garbage in 8.2
    We need to go back to this. I greatly prefer struggling early expansion knowing that fire will be better in later patches, and the feeling of fire improving as the expansion progressed. Definitely beats whatever garbage the current worthless dev team's been cooking up.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd trust this dev team to know how to do that.

Aye, I do miss playing Fire, and this expac there has never been a time for it to shine, as it can't come close the the DPS of Frost. I'm just glad that GS is getting a nerf so hopefully it wont be the set and forget of Frost, I dislike GS.

No. Mages are too boring to play with.. no sense to make them shine!

Quote Originally Posted by fujiapples View Post
    Hello my friends.
    I'm huge fire mage fun, but i always start new expansion as warlock, cos fire is shit at the start of every expansion, and i dont like frost and arcane.
    Is 8.2 patch the time when crit values will be high enough to make fire shine?
    Was fire shit in the start of Legion during Emerald Nightmare?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    No. Mages are too boring to play with.. no sense to make them shine!
    Well, Blizzard made BM hunter pretty good and that is by far the most boring spec of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    You needed 2 Legendarys that made Fire shine and when you didnt got the Pyro procs in your burst phase Fire wasnt that great.

as far as i know the other two specs also have arcane intellect so im not sure how fire will shine in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    I'm just glad that GS is getting a nerf
    GS is slightly buffed overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    You needed 2 Legendarys that made Fire shine and when you didnt got the Pyro procs in your burst phase Fire wasnt that great.
    Regardless, fire was in a good place. With the legies fire was king and without them it was still top tier.

Needing legendaries was an issue for all specs
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-06-19 at 12:43 AM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, that was the start of an expansion in which Fire had massive leg-ups on not needing crit to scale. Hence it fell out of favour shortly afterwards for the rest of the expansion.

Fire can't win, design-wise. You either give it the tools it needs to perform without gear, or you have an infinitely frustrating experience until you get said gear. If you take the former, you end up with the Legion/BfA situation. It doesn't want crit, it has all the auto-crit in the world. Once you hit enough crit to have decent odds on a Fireball per Fire Blast recharge time, you're done. You're entirely relying on the other three stats to carry you forward because adding more crit at that point doesn't have the same return. And now since HS is so common, Pyro has to be fairly weak, and Fireball even weaker lest the spec get out of hand.

Part of the issue lies within the entire Hot Streak mechanic being one of the best feeling reward systems in the primary rotation sections of the game. They really don't want to touch that. How do you adjust the spec to compensate for a glut of free crits while not touching Hot Streak? I don't have an answer for that, but it's probably the topic that will fix Fire in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    GS is slightly buffed overall.
    hmmm last I read it was getting a SP% nerf, was this to balance something coming out in 8.2? If so... FML I HATE GS.

GS is the only thing (with comet storm + nova) that makes the forst specs somewhat enjoyable to play. Without GS, that spec is boring. Plain and simple.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone seems to overlook that one of the major reasons fire was king in early legion was due to the fact that they allowed us to be at nearly 50% crit before we ever even stepped foot into emerald nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrathia View Post
    Everyone seems to overlook that one of the major reasons fire was king in early legion was due to the fact that they allowed us to be at nearly 50% crit before we ever even stepped foot into emerald nightmare.
    No, it was because Combustion was broken. They halved the mastery conversion value of Combustion and Fire got dumpstered(along with the nerf to bracers).

The fact that fire wasn't played over frost for reaping is a testament to how poorly tuned and set up the spec is this xpac. Reaping should have been fire's wet dream (that sounds weird), and I personally never saw a SINGLE fire mage the entire season in higher keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    No, that was the start of an expansion in which Fire had massive leg-ups on not needing crit to scale. Hence it fell out of favour shortly afterwards for the rest of the expansion.

Fire can't win, design-wise. You either give it the tools it needs to perform without gear, or you have an infinitely frustrating experience until you get said gear. If you take the former, you end up with the Legion/BfA situation. It doesn't want crit, it has all the auto-crit in the world. Once you hit enough crit to have decent odds on a Fireball per Fire Blast recharge time, you're done. You're entirely relying on the other three stats to carry you forward because adding more crit at that point doesn't have the same return. And now since HS is so common, Pyro has to be fairly weak, and Fireball even weaker lest the spec get out of hand.

Part of the issue lies within the entire Hot Streak mechanic being one of the best feeling reward systems in the primary rotation sections of the game. They really don't want to touch that. How do you adjust the spec to compensate for a glut of free crits while not touching Hot Streak? I don't have an answer for that, but it's probably the topic that will fix Fire in the long run.
    OP: “fire is shit at the start of every expansion.”
    Me: “fire was not shit at the start of Legion.”
    You: “blah blah blah blah...”

I’ve never said anything about how fire functions. I’ve only stated a fact. Your rambling is misplaced
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-06-20 at 06:55 AM.

.....any mage worth his salt knows there was a bug with Fire at the start of EN and it was unintended to be a strong as it was and you still needed the bracers to be in that spot.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    OP: “fire is shit at the start of every expansion.”
    Me: “fire was not shit at the start of Legion.”
    You: “blah blah blah blah...”

I’ve never said anything about how fire functions. I’ve only stated a fact. Your rambling is misplaced
    So you wanted to post a gotcha instead of a discussion about why Fire sucks.

Aight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    So you wanted to post a gotcha instead of a discussion about why Fire sucks.

Aight.
    Exactly. I was calling bullshit on a statement of the OP. That’s allowed. Your rambling was completely misplaced