Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Another American tourist died in her hotel room in the Dominican Republic

Another US tourist has died in the Dominican Republic, bringing to eight the number of Americans to die in the country over the past year.

Leyla Cox, 53, died June 10 in her hotel room, Excellence Resorts in Punta Cana confirmed to CNN on Sunday.

Officials in the Dominican Republic have called the deaths isolated events as they work to reassure travelers their country is safe.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/ameri...ath/index.html

Do you think this is an innocent coincidence or is something else going on?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Smart people know NOT to go to the DR. Just don't do it. It's like going to a house of ilrepute and hoping one doesn't get killed.

Should have gone to Haiti instead.

I do hear the weather is particularly fine this of time of year.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Smart people know NOT to go to the DR. Just don't do it. It's like going to a house of ilrepute and hoping one doesn't get killed.
    I am uncertain.. is it your belief that people usually get killed in brothels?

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Do you think this is an innocent coincidence or is something else going on?
    There are rumors of bootleg liquor from the resort and minbar
    Kara Swisher: What do you think about Cory Booker saying kick them in the shins?
    Hillary Clinton: Well, that was Eric Holder.
    Kara Swisher: Eric Holder, oh, Eric Holder, sorry.
    Hillary Clinton: Yeah, I know they all look alike.

I am not sure what you want us with that pointless data. So some torist died from a heart attack in a hotel.

Considering the mortality rate in the US is 190 in 100000, and according to your source for american tourists in the DR it is 8 in 2.2M or 0.36 per 100000, to be safe you should be a tourist there as long as possible!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is how life works, sometimes people live a long decent time, and sometimes they drop dead for no real reason.
    Personally I wouldn’t vacation there myself regardless since I don’t like to go to beaches

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Doesn't say how those 8 died. And from what.
    That's what I want to know.

It's a snowball reporting effect.

Tourists die while traveling all the time. But once you get two or three news worthy events, even if coincidental, the media might start paying more attention, and such reporting every single event, which in turn changes the public perception on the frequency of incidents.

Statistically nothing changed, but the public perceptions has.

Frankly if DR doesn't want to take a hit to its tourism industry it has to go on a PR offensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Doesn't say how those 8 died. And from what.
    They've been getting sick. I know there was no foul play in the first few deaths, haven't followed up on 2 o 3.

DR doesn't mess around with people harming tourists because tourists equal money. The last thing they want is to viewed as a dangerous tourists destination.

There's some nasty health scare or a nasty person purposely getting people sick.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    well what was the causes opf death?
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Yeah, I don't see the appeal of vacationing in third world countries where living conditions are well below living standards one is accustomed to, and politically, one might be a target. If you survive, consider yourself lucky. If you don't, well shit, you can only stick your hand inside the tree so many times before the squirrel bites it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yeah, I don't see the appeal of vacationing in third world countries where living conditions are well below living standards one is accustomed to, and politically, one might be a target. If you survive, consider yourself lucky. If you don't, well shit, you can only stick your hand inside the tree so many times before the squirrel bites it.
    that's what I don't get either, since you're gonna spend most of your time in a hotel too. So you're basically spending your time in a bastion of first world technology transplanted in a third world hellhole. Why not just go to Vegas?
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read about these incidents. Some believe its either poisoning from minibar drinks, insect bites or air conditioning which was contaminated by some kind of insect killing cleaning/poison.

5+ Year Old Account
    Every now n then I read about another tourist attack in Egypt...some people are just dumb as hell going to countries nobody should visit...

3+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear that, hope there is no dirty job behind it.

I find it hilarious that Americans seem so shocked at this.

You’re American. You elected Trump. You’re about to do it again.

I know it’s hard to accept but YOU ARE THE ENEMY. The world DOES NOT like you. Expect this in other countries. You are not welcome.

Get it?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-06-26 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Nation bashing

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    The forum does not like you so please stfu you nation bashing retard. I hope the ban you get lasts 3 months, then you can go and die.
    Reported. I feel threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Reported. I feel threatened.
    He has a point though. You constantly whine about America and, as a side tangent, the internet and technology in general. Surely your country has some kind of Amish or Amish-like community you can join or at the very least you could just unplug your router.

So what your telling me is a DR vacation is about to become extremely affordable?