Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Something to ponder about a global problem

Saw this in my news feed last night and thought I'd share it on here. This is a problem that is only growing each and every day. This is not limited to just the US either. This is a global issue.

I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge . Would I still be at home if I hadn’t chewed your shoe? I didn’t know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys. Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn’t get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t barked? I was only saying, “I’m scared, I’m lonely, I’m here, I’m here! I want to be your best friend.” Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn’t make me learn how. Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn’t pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me. I died today. Love, Your Puppy

If you don't think this really happens....you aren't living in reality.....they die daily.....thousands.....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    That's a non issue. Not a global problem.
    So then you support the overcrowding of shelters and support animals being euthanized because pet owners surrender them because the pet owner did things or didn't do things to help the animal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    That's a non issue. Not a global problem.
    While I don't particularly like dogs, it is a problem, and not because of the dogs that are dying. The problem is that, in general, we have a global culture that says: "It's OK to think only about yourself, neglect those around you, and not take responsibility for your actions." This is just one example of how that terrible mentality plays out.

Animals suffering from shitty people. It's a problem but I question your proposed solution.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Saw this in my news feed last night and thought I'd share it on here. This is a problem that is only growing each and every day. This is not limited to just the US either. This is a global issue.

I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge . Would I still be at home if I hadn’t chewed your shoe? I didn’t know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys. Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn’t get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t barked? I was only saying, “I’m scared, I’m lonely, I’m here, I’m here! I want to be your best friend.” Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn’t make me learn how. Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn’t pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me. I died today. Love, Your Puppy

If you don't think this really happens....you aren't living in reality.....they die daily.....thousands.....
    These are animals? Dogs? Cats? We hunt other animals to control the population of them (in some cases). Why are these any different? Because they're cute?

Until we solve the issue of homeless children I could give a rats ass about unwanted animals.

We could eat them. Dogs are not really that bad if you deep fry them.

Export them to China.
    There, global problem solved.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    These are animals? Dogs? Cats? We hunt other animals to control the population of them (in some cases). Why are these any different? Because they're cute?

Until we solve the issue of homeless children I could give a rats ass about unwanted animals.
    The problem is that many of these animals were bought/bred to be a pet. The owners got rid of them because they outgrew the "cute" phase, didn't train the pet properly & therefor got rid of the "problem animal", or neglected the pet. Shelters are overran across the nation with these former pets and most have to be put down because of the owners surrendering them. We hunt other animals to control the population and those animals are eaten. These dogs & cats that are taken to the shelter from former pet owners aren't hunted down or even used as food after they are put down. They are euthanized because of overpopulation. Puppy mills are plentiful around the nation. Many times people don't want to adopt older dogs, dogs with special needs, or dogs that aren't a certain breed. People want puppies or they want purebred breeds. I am very proud of the fact that my two dogs are both rescue dogs. One was abandoned in the country and the other was rescued from a shelter.

So then you support the overcrowding of shelters and support animals being euthanized because pet owners surrender them because the pet owner did things or didn't do things to help the animal?
    Simple solution: require people to have a pet license. Most pet owners don’t know the meaning of treating them like family.

Any person who gives up An animal to a shelter should be barred for life from pet ownership

I had a dog once who passed away that I would personally strangle each homeless child in the world for and their parents if it meant one single minute with him again

He was more valuable than any human life ever

Fuck outta here with your nonsense

Edit: obviously being facetious flies over some people’s head. I wasn’t obviously serious but I was belittling the posts above basically dismissing this because “orphan or homeless kids” in some fake ass virtue signaling while dismissing animal suffering as nothing.
    Last edited by justandulas; 2019-06-10 at 10:49 PM.

You should see how many foster rabbits I've had to bury, most of them being rescues. Just this week, I had to bury two because no one wanted them and they died of old age in our care. Now my wife can barely stand the deaths, although she's getting better... however, it's usually me who does all the corpse-related issues. You want to see something gut-wrenching, see a cute little bunny during a rescue with flesh-eating maggots burrowing into and out their entire body while the bunny is still alive... all because they just threw a rabbit into an outdoor hunch and never cared for it. The standard "death screech" from rabbits is pretty rough if you're close to a rabbit and you've never heard it before as it's dying. I've seen some pretty brutal stuff being done to other humans in person, but a rabbit getting eaten alive by maggots is pretty close for some reason.

If you're in a situation where animals die all the time, whether it is a foster system or a farm, you do your best to make things as comfortable as possible for animals. That's pretty much all you can do, everyone dies at some point.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I had a dog once who passed away that I would personally strangle each homeless child in the world for and their parents if it meant one single minute with him again

Indeed. Out of here with that nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post

Guys, I found the problem.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that many of these animals were bought/bred to be a pet. The owners got rid of them because they outgrew the "cute" phase, didn't train the pet properly & therefor got rid of the "problem animal", or neglected the pet. Shelters are overran across the nation with these former pets and most have to be put down because of the owners surrendering them. We hunt other animals to control the population and those animals are eaten. These dogs & cats that are taken to the shelter from former pet owners aren't hunted down or even used as food after they are put down. They are euthanized because of overpopulation. Puppy mills are plentiful around the nation. Many times people don't want to adopt older dogs, dogs with special needs, or dogs that aren't a certain breed. People want puppies or they want purebred breeds. I am very proud of the fact that my two dogs are both rescue dogs. One was abandoned in the country and the other was rescued from a shelter.
    Look, I'm not saying it's not a problem/issue. And your points are very valid. But a global problem? No. Homeless/starving children are a global problem. Fix that and then we can talk.

Speaking about not living in reality, I have an actual global problem for you to ponder: there's actually people that think this is a problem worth making a post like this about. With everything else in the world. Holy shit.

I guess when you want to try and make a difference\seem like a good person, but hate having to actually do anything, or dislike thinking... this is what we get.

Cringe level obliviousness.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Guys, I found the problem.
    Right? I mean holy fucking insanity batman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OopsReality View Post
    Speaking about not living in reality, I have an actual global problem for you to ponder: there's actually people that think this is a problem worth making a post like this about. With everything else in the world. Holy shit.

I guess when you want to try and make a difference\seem like a good person, but hate having to actually do anything, or dislike thinking... this is what we get.

Cringe level obliviousness.
    Oh sure, say it better than I did. Thanks a lot.

Seriously though - you're spot on. To even claim this is a problem with everything else falling apart in the world. Unbelievable.

Right? I mean holy fucking insanity batman.
    I’ve had many dogs and animals and some are better than others. Typically, I wouldn’t hurt a fly. But one dog out of all I owned was one in a billion. The best dog who ever truly lived on this planet.

He had more value to me than any human being not my wife or kids. There is nothing I wouldnt do, even all these years later, for just one more day. Nothing.
    Last edited by justandulas; 2019-06-10 at 09:51 PM.

Its not optimal but Im not really concerned with the fate of old/abandoned pets. Frankly Id like to see less focus ON pets in our culture. Reduce the amount of unwanted pets by having less pets in general.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just sell em to Asian restaurants to make mystery meat out of them.

Is there anyone that don't think puppies and pets in general get put down every day?
    Hell, every day a person gets "put down" too...

Sure it sucks, but I don't see how this is a revelation that needs to be addressed... I found that perspective story thing a bit tacky too.