Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    It's a combination of nutrition (the calories you intake), exercise (the calories you burn), and genetics (the rate of which you process calories).

As long as you have 2 of those 3 right, then you should be fine. If you're bad at 2 of those 3, then you're in a deficit and you get fat.
    There are actually 2 kinds of fat, sugar fat that clumps on cells and saturated fat that is like part of cells. its not healthy with low body fat. Source of fat is important role here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morssoe View Post
    Just eat that bacon and eggs and you feel much better.
    Eating that bacon and eggs right after waking up would actually make me extremely ill. Eating it for lunch would be fine though.

Pobody's nerfect, I've found what works for me and it's way better than struggling to do the normal thing even if it makes me feel sick.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    I'm not in school now. I'm done. I went to a program aimed at healthcare. Metabolic differences between humans do not explain how some become so overweight, it's maybe 5-10% more or less. The rest is how you live. It's not big enough of a difference to make someone 20 kg overweight if they eat the same things. It would be impossible for someone to not lose weight if they ate the same as me if they were bigger than me.
    Links? Research? Or are you pulling the "5-10%" out of your ass?
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It just isn't though, I feel like shit if I eat in the morning. I literally cannot eat right away when I get up without forcing it down and almost vomiting. You were brainwashed into thinking that by your parents likely and that is not your fault but they were wrong. Now for some people I am sure they can eat breakfast, but even the word implies fasting has occurred and sleep is not likely a long enough period for most anymore since a lot of people don't stop eating until they go to bed reducing that fasting window.
    If you wake up stressed to get to work and on top of it you try to eat 15 minutes after waking up of course you gonna feel like vomiting. That used to happen to me as well but now I usually eat breakfast 1 hour after waking up and I no longer feel like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    This is the actual answer, rather than all the "lol people r dum n lazee!!1!"

We have more food available, and it's more processed, which means higher calorie count. There are also genetic predispositions and life "conditioning" differences between people when it comes to eating food. You can sit one person down in front of a table full of goodies. If they're full, it's like they don't even notice it. Put someone else down in the same position, and they're going to be continually noticing all the good stuff in front of them.

There are also many reasons people eat too much. Depression, for example. Comfort. Etc. Personal responsibility also has a place in here, but there's a large brigade of people calling people fat slobs who have no idea what they're talking about. Just, no idea at all. It's kind of baffling, and literally the first reply in this thread is of that type.

Lastly, find me a fat person whose highest wish isn't to be thin. It'd astonish you how high the percentage is. It's at least 95%. Fat people don't like being fat either. But, like so many other things in life, getting thin is theoretically easy (eat fewer calories than you burn), but practically much harder, because it's someone having to change their life, and not just a single number (weight) as if it's some isolated, singular thing they can control about themselves. But, obviously, "it's complicated" answers aren't suited for self-serving people who just want to find someone to feel better than today, too.
    Why do people saying fat slobs have no idea? I mean, the stuff you listed (disregarding health problems such as depression) is laziness. True there is more processed food available, doesn't mean you have to eat it. I used to eat chicken out of the freezer for most meals but started buying fresh chicken and cooking it from scratch myself, takes more time but the result is rewarding and better in every way. Soda is in the same boat, I love drinking Coke, but I limit myself to maybe 1-2 cans on the weekend and stick to water in the week. Just takes some willpower, if soda is bad, which it is, then limit or don't drink it.

Not trying to be mr smartman, genuinely interested in your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Not everybody can blame genetics and problems with their metabolism.

I eat fast food like 4-5 times a week, and on top of that lots of snacks and soda, basically I never think about what I put in my mouth, and I'm not even slightly overweight (77 kilos on 179 cm). I'm also 31 so I've reached the age where the metabolism "apparantely slows down".

Do people constantly have their hands in a bag of crisps, or a spoonful of icecream, or what?

I just don't understand how people can let themselves become so big when I'm such a lazy fuck, who don't even go to the gym, who manage to stay healthy.
    In before someone mentions that my insides probably are rotten to the core. Nope, had my biyearly health exam last month and all of my tests came out perfect.
    You are one of the lucky ones.

The main reason for obesity is over consumption of modern convenience foods and inactivity. Most unprocessed foods are not as calorie dense as the garbage that you find in fast food restaurants and the center isles of your grocer. People today are also far less active than we were 100 years ago, of course back then we didn't have devices like televisions and personal computers that encourage inactivity. At least with books and other printed materials, you are forced to get up and move around for a little to keep yourself alert. Blue LED light coming off of our modern devices, ensures that we can sit for long periods and say awake.

There is still no excuse for being a fat ass. I am one of them. Eating half a large pizza in one sitting is not the best health choice for a 40+ year old man. For the vast majority of us it all comes down to the choices that we make.

I am actually in the beginning phase of a juice cleanse (I am currently down 5 lbs over two days) and I expect to drop 40 to 50 lbs over the next 45 days. I started off at 280 and my goal is to weigh 200 to 210 by October.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just isn't though, I feel like shit if I eat in the morning. I literally cannot eat right away when I get up without forcing it down and almost vomiting. You were brainwashed into thinking that by your parents likely and that is not your fault but they were wrong. Now for some people I am sure they can eat breakfast, but even the word implies fasting has occurred and sleep is not likely a long enough period for most anymore since a lot of people don't stop eating until they go to bed reducing that fasting window.
    Hmm no, I'll stick with the science and logic behind eating breakfast in the morning thanks. If people eat right before bed then that is a problem with their diet, not everyone is like that, especially someone that has a healthy diet. If you don't want to eat breakfast then be my guest, but it is definitely not bad for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Well, it's settled then. It IS genetics. I have a similar daily routine + the occasional gardening work, but only drink coffee w/o any sweeteners, water and sometimes the zero calorie soft drinks. I also cook fresh every day, from actual fresh ingredients, and since I'm a long sleeper I even skip breakfast. I also never got into the habit of snacking. There really is NOTHING in between. Ever. Not even when watching TV. Nil. So, two proper nurishing meals a day. I'm 1.86m tall and bring ~145kg to the scales. Tell me how this works if it isn't at least some genetic dispostion.
    I don't know how old you are or how long you have been gaining weight. But people don't realize that even if you only overeat 20 kcal a day, you would gain more than 10 kg over a decade. Make that 100 kcal overeaten a day, and you end up gaining over 50 kg after a decade.

But this still seems a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    If you wake up stressed to get to work and on top of it you try to eat 15 minutes after waking up of course you gonna feel like vomiting. That used to happen to me as well but now I usually eat breakfast 1 hour after waking up and I no longer feel like that.
    I think sickness is caused by damaged gut from carbs and veges.

Only benefit from fasting is all the shity food you usually intake are done and its time for self destruction. It is no wonder inflammation is going away.
    What university did you do your research? I mean if we're going to dispute medical/scientific research and the advice given by professionals you need to back that up with more than bad spelling, or have you just thought this over in your chair and come up with your own reasoning, based on feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    I am actually in the beginning phase of a juice cleanse (I am currently down 5 lbs over two days) and I expect to drop 40 to 50 lbs over the next 45 days. I started off at 280 and my goal is to weigh 200 to 210 by October.
    Why would you do a juice cleanse, there's nothing good about replacing a balanced diet with sugar water. It might help you drop weight from the huge drop in calorie intake but it comes with some significant possible health issues, you're not cleansing shit by doing that. Please research this, dropping 50lbs of weight by doing "juice cleansing" is really not a healthy way of going about weight loss.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2019-06-18 at 06:23 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I'm not in school now. I'm done. I went to a program aimed at healthcare. Metabolic differences between humans do not explain how some become so overweight, it's maybe 5-10% more or less. The rest is how you live. It's not big enough of a difference to make someone 20 kg overweight if they eat the same things. It would be impossible for someone to not lose weight if they ate the same as me if they were bigger than me.
    That would entirely depend on their body's genetics, any medication or disorders that might cause weight gain or make it difficult to lose weight, as well as their activity levels vs yours. It isn't as simple as "eat less". You would know that if that program aimed at healthcare was any good. Eat less only goes so far, and maybe not at all. Heck, only losing weight by eating less could also be unhealthy and damaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Well, it's settled then. It IS genetics. I have a similar daily routine + the occasional gardening work, but only drink coffee w/o any sweeteners, water and sometimes the zero calorie soft drinks. I also cook fresh every day, from actual fresh ingredients, and since I'm a long sleeper I even skip breakfast. I also never got into the habit of snacking. There really is NOTHING in between. Ever. Not even when watching TV. Nil. So, two proper nurishing meals a day. I'm 1.86m tall and bring ~145kg to the scales. Tell me how this works if it isn't at least some genetic dispostion.

Seriously. Whenever I hear that genetics has zero to do with this, I'd happily accept the consequences and thoroughly punch that person right in the kisser. And my punches have some weight behind them...

Edit: The latter parts weren't direct at you specifically ofc.
    The genes which run in my family are also pretty bad when it comes to putting on weight. Most of my relatives are overweight both on my mother's and my father's side. I also did eat crap but I did not eat anything more or different that what my peers ate. But I seemed to gain weight a lot faster than them. Not to mention all those who clearly ate a lot more crap than me at the time and did not gain a single extra kilo (it was easy to observe my friends in college).

I am 1.89m and I was at a point where my scale could not weigh me cause it only went to 120 kg. That was the tipping point when I cut off all (and I mean all) trashy carbs and sugars. I left only veggies and fruit. Later I discovered I didn't really need fruits cause I still tended to eat too much fruits (fructose), and so I was left with just avocados and olives. I lost over 30 kgs. Then I discovered running and I also heard about high fat, low carb, which was what I was actually mostly doing without even knowing it was a thing. The initial weight loss occurred 8 years ago. Since they I've logged more that 15,000 kms running, and I've also stayed away from all the crappy shit.

I just eat at or close to lunch and I am great, desk jobs do not require much energy throughout the day so I eat very little, I am 238lbs / 6 feet tall and built like a brick wall. I was 275 at the beginning of March. I also tore my Achilles tendon on top of a massive gallbladder attack, recovery has been rough but I am getting healthy again and fasting is what did it.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Hmm no, I'll stick with the science and logic behind eating breakfast in the morning thanks. If people eat right before bed then that is a problem with their diet, not everyone is like that, especially someone that has a healthy diet. If you don't want to eat breakfast then be my guest, but it is definitely not bad for you.
    I don't think it is bad for you, I just think people don't know how to handle pain well and assume when they get pangs that they have to eat.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Breakfast - as the name suggests - is simply the first meal of the day. So if somebody wakes up and breaks his fast later, it's practically the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyBG View Post
    The genes which run in my family are also pretty bad when it comes to putting on weight. Most of my relatives are overweight both on my mother's and my father's side. I also did eat crap but I did not eat anything more or different that what my peers ate. But I seemed to gain weight a lot faster than them. Not to mention all those who clearly ate a lot more crap than me at the time and did not gain a single extra kilo (it was easy to observe my friends in college).

I am 1.89m and I was at a point where my scale could not weigh me cause it only went to 120 kg. That was the tipping point when I cut off all (and I mean all) trashy carbs and sugars. I left only veggies and fruit. Later I discovered I didn't really need fruits cause I still tended to eat too much fruits (fructose), and so I was left with just avocados and olives. I lost over 30 kgs. Then I discovered running and I also heard about high fat, low carb, which was what I was actually mostly doing without even knowing it was a thing. The initial weight loss occurred 8 years ago. Since they I've logged more that 15,000 kms running, and I've also stayed away from all the crappy shit.
    Fair play to you man, respect. There's a lot of people that have a slower metabolism or harder time losing weight and stick to that excuse to be fat for life and do nothing about it. Good job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrotesque View Post
    Breakfast - as the name suggests - is simply the first meal of the day. So if somebody wakes up and breaks his fast later, it's practically the same.
    Depending on what time you get up of course. An hour or so later sure, but to leave it hours and hours before eating? No thanks.

I just eat at or close to lunch and I am great, desk jobs do not require much energy throughout the day so I eat very little, I am 238lbs / 6 feet tall and built like a brick wall. I was 275 at the beginning of March. I also tore my Achilles tendon on top of a massive gallbladder attack, recovery has been rough but I am getting healthy again and fasting is what did it.
    I feel like shit if I don't eat in the morning, no way I can wake up at 7AM and stay without eating till 1PM or so even when I stay home. But hey, different bodies and people.

10+ Year Old Account
    One study[1] noted that one standard deviation of variance for resting metabolic rate (how many calories are burnt by living) was 5-8%; meaning 1 standard deviation of the population (68%) was within 6-8% of the average metabolic rate. Extending this, 2 standard deviations of the population (96%) was within 10-16% of the population average.[1]

Extending this into practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily. Comparing somebody at or below the 5th percentile with somebody at or above the 95thpercentile would yield a difference of possibly 600kcal daily, and the chance of this occurring (comparing the self to a friend) is 0.50%, assuming two completely random persons.

To give a sense of calories, 200kcal (the difference in metabolic rate in approximately half the population) is approximately equivalent to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, a single poptart (a package of two is 400kcal) or half of a large slice of pizza. An oreo is about 70kcal, and a chocolate bar in the range of 150-270kcal depending on brand.

This difference is not enough to explain like 60 kg overweight. That's solely what you eat, not differences in metabolism.
    Source? Link? Peer Review? You just copy and pasted something in here...

Here, i'll bite. Here is a decently sourced study on RMR. Some demographic groups saw discrepancies of 20-30% RMR.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4535334/

Fun fact: you clearly don't know everything about metabolic rate. No one does. Stop using your anecdotal evidence to apply to the other 7 billion of us.
    Last edited by voxnor; 2019-06-18 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Correcting link
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

10+ Year Old Account
    There are actually 2 kinds of fat, sugar fat that clumps on cells and saturated fat that is like part of cells. its not healthy with low body fat. Source of fat is important role here.
    Nope, saturated fats are the unhealthy fats. Unsaturated fats are the ones that can be good.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I feel like shit if I don't eat in the morning, no way I can wake up at 7AM and stay without eating till 1PM or so even when I stay home. But hey, different bodies and people.
    Ya for sure, but fasting has also been proven to increase muscle and bone density without doing a thing among the other benefits like the survival proteins you only produce while in a state of fasting.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel