Manta Lore - a big bad nothing?

So recently I came across an excerpt on Wowpedia regarding an obscure, seemingly random character that had a brief mention in the day of the dragon novel. Initially I was pretty intrigued in this dude because often these sorts of things are fertile soil planted by the writers to be expanded upon for future storytelling. Plus he seems like he may have been old god related, so that's always a plus.

Is there.. any lore on this guy though? Like at all? I did some digging and couldn't seem to find anything substantive. Is there a chance he'll be referenced at some point? Otherwise what is the reason for Manta at all, just big nothingness?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Manta

Possibly a Kraken, maybe the Prime/"Loa".

Either way, Manta was killed long ago, I doubt that would be used again. Oacha'noa could be its successor.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2019-06-19 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Possibly a Kraken, maybe the Prime/"Loa".

Either way, Manta was killed long ago, I doubt that would be used again. Oacha'noa could be its successor.
    I think Oacha'noa is the Tidemother.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Warcraft universe is full of primordial and/or chthonic creatures of this kind - from the Ancients, Loa, Elemental creatures, or just aberrations like Aku'mai or Ozumat. Manta is apparently dead, having been killed 100 years prior to the Second War, but mostly these beings are just to let us know that Azeroth is still a place of untamed and unchecked wildness.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Warcraft universe is full of primordial and/or chthonic creatures of this kind - from the Ancients, Loa, Elemental creatures, or just aberrations like Aku'mai or Ozumat. Manta is apparently dead, having been killed 100 years prior to the Second War, but mostly these beings are just to let us know that Azeroth is still a place of untamed and unchecked wildness.
    There is something to be said about the benefits of less being more. While some explanations are due, Chronicle has had the dire side effect of making the world a much smaller, less mysterious place. Even things as simple as giving the newly introduced baddies set limitations that we know of and a comprehensible goal kind of shoots them in the knee from the very start as eldritch entities. That sense of "What the fuck am I looking at" that you used to have with things like the Master's Glaive or the giant skellies in Desolace are gone.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    There is something to be said about the benefits of less being more. While some explanations are due, Chronicle has had the dire side effect of making the world a much smaller, less mysterious place. Even things as simple as giving the newly introduced baddies set limitations that we know of and a comprehensible goal kind of shoots them in the knee from the very start as eldritch entities. That sense of "What the fuck am I looking at" that you used to have with things like the Master's Glaive or the giant skellies in Desolace are gone.
    Kind of the same thing that happened to the Old Gods, really - where before they were mysterious things, really only half-glimpsed through the mists of time. Now we kind of know all about them, and while they can still be cryptic and compelling, most of their original power is gone.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevrah View Post
    So recently I came across an excerpt on Wowpedia regarding an obscure, seemingly random character that had a brief mention in the day of the dragon novel. Initially I was pretty intrigued in this dude because often these sorts of things are fertile soil planted by the writers to be expanded upon for future storytelling. Plus he seems like he may have been old god related, so that's always a plus.

Is there.. any lore on this guy though? Like at all? I did some digging and couldn't seem to find anything substantive. Is there a chance he'll be referenced at some point? Otherwise what is the reason for Manta at all, just big nothingness?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Manta
    That thing is from Day of the Dragon; the same book which mentioned "hill dwarves" and other "fun" things, that have never been mentioned ever again. So it's a nothing.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    That thing is from Day of the Dragon; the same book which mentioned "hill dwarves" and other "fun" things, that have never been mentioned ever again. So it's a nothing.
    "Hill Dwarves" are also mentioned in "Night of the Dragon," and basically serves as a euphemism for any Bronzebeard clan Dwarf living outside of Ironforge, in the open lands of Khaz Modan or the Wetlands. It's a term that came into usage when Ironforge and Khaz Modan were under siege by the Horde during the Second War, and many Dwarves trapped far from home during the conflict made a life for themselves outside of the city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Kind of the same thing that happened to the Old Gods, really - where before they were mysterious things, really only half-glimpsed through the mists of time. Now we kind of know all about them, and while they can still be cryptic and compelling, most of their original power is gone.
    I think its not as much as explanations that hurt them but the fact that OGs (like majority of warcraft villains) have charisma on the same level as Waspinator.

It would be cool after we deal with Old Gods ancient species of Azeroth will awaken like in Godzilla Kaiju or what they want to call them
    Last edited by GetCrunk; 2019-06-19 at 03:11 PM.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was Manta not the villain out of Aquaman?
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Back in 1.0, there was a fuckhueg dragon swimming underwater off the shore of Westfall. I only saw it once and it was removed shortly after. It might be that one in disguise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by GetCrunk View Post
    It would be cool after we deal with Old Gods ancient species of Azeroth will awaken like in Godzilla Kaiju or what they want to call them
    There's a thus far unexplored giant ocean that could be teeming with such things, after all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see such beings in the future.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    "Hill Dwarves" are also mentioned in "Night of the Dragon," and basically serves as a euphemism for any Bronzebeard clan Dwarf living outside of Ironforge, in the open lands of Khaz Modan or the Wetlands. It's a term that came into usage when Ironforge and Khaz Modan were under siege by the Horde during the Second War, and many Dwarves trapped far from home during the conflict made a life for themselves outside of the city.
    Yes, they are mentioned in two atrocious Knaak novels, yet never any where else. They were, basically, an attempt to add Dragonlance into Warcraft because Knaak couldn't be bothered.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think its not as much as explanations that hurt them but the fact that OGs (like majority of warcraft villains) have charisma on the same level as Waspinator.
    More like they are beat in every scheme without any pay off, the game has become into some superhero paladin human fantasy campaign in D&D. Back in the rta games, everyone has lose and defeats in their pockets like Lordaeron being destroyed, the horde got his ass kicked but made a comeback later, even the scourge got a semi lose with Illidan fuckery.

That is what we need, defeats that play some role in the future like Stormwind being wiped out by the old gods or the botani gets numbers enough to start to siege Orgrimmar like the scourge
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

It's a Knaak creation, so it's better off leaving trash out of an already questionable storyline.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And now my brain is reviewing the scene where N'Zoth makes a pact with Azshara, but his voice is Waspinator's.
    Thanks... I think
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yes, they are mentioned in two atrocious Knaak novels, yet never any where else. They were, basically, an attempt to add Dragonlance into Warcraft because Knaak couldn't be bothered.
    It's also mentioned in the official WoW magazine and in one of Muradin's lines in HotS. Still just a euphemism, though; doesn't appear much anywhere else.

Could be related to that horrendously huge squid thing that kidnapped Neptulon one time. As far as I know even though he got out we never killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Could be related to that horrendously huge squid thing that kidnapped Neptulon one time. As far as I know even though he got out we never killed it.
    Ozumat is one of the Kraken I mentioned. He has at least a cameo in Nazjatar.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.