Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Underestimating PvE Servers

I was thinking about this yesterday, and I believe people will underestimate the popularity of PvE servers this time around in WoW Classic.

The player base for Classic is getting older and doesn't have the time to spend getting ganked, camped, and other issues associated with a PvP server. They only have a few hours or so to play a day and don't want to spend half of it dead due to other players. Some will love and embrace the challenge but I think there will be a strong desire to play on a PvE server.

If you ever played the servers that should not be named, the PvP community is quite large and I could only find maybe 1 PvE only server. Most forums on those servers state that the want for a PvE server is very very small and not worth the effort to host.

In the essence of staying on topic, I believe that PvE servers will be very popular, and maybe to the point of being equal to PvP servers. What does everyone else think? Will it go the way of private servers and be 95% PvP or do you also think it will be roughly split down the middle?

5+ Year Old Account
    I’m going PVE servers for classic because I did PVP servers the first time around which had me endgame as PvP.

I want to end game pve this time. I hope they are not dead servers that would suck.

PvP servers will be vastly more popular than PvE servers. BUT! I have been a PvE boi since 2005 and will not change for classic for all the reasons you mentioned. PvP is not for me. My first toon ever was a priest on a PvP server and I damn near quit the game a dozen times over before reaching 60.

if that whole worldbuff meta ends up happening, why would you risk being on a pvp server?

PvE has always been more popular in wow than PvP - you,re not going to run into any trouble finding a full PvE server. You still have the option to flag for pvp - I know on Llane we had fights going at tauren mill 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewshine View Post
    I’m going PVE servers for classic because I did PVP servers the first time around which had me endgame as PvP.

I want to end game pve this time. I hope they are not dead servers that would suck.
    Thing is, on a pvp server you still have all the endgame PVE content a PVE server has available, whereas you lose out on an entire aspect of the game in the form of world pvp, which makes me think PvP servers will be vastly more popular.

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a poll on Reddit that had some 20K respondents, that said about 75% would go PvP. Now, it is possible that the PvE majority is silent and will show up in huge quantities, but that is fairly telling.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Why would you play the game on easy mode?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Definitely going to an RP-PvE server if it's available.

I will roll on pve. I will just get exalted with frostwolf and that's enough pvp for me

Problem with PvE servers is one will not be able to farm honor reliably until phase 3 happens. Unless the people on PvE servers organize huge world PvP events consistently, you won't be able to farm that honor consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewshine View Post

I will be on PvE since I can have both factions on the same server that way, also I did PvP in Vanilla and never enjoyed it outside of a few times we would gank in redridge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Problem with PvE servers is one will not be able to farm honor reliably until phase 3 happens. Unless the people on PvE servers organize huge world PvP events consistently, you won't be able to farm that honor consistently.
    Most people don't care about that and the BG's are connected cross server anyways I am pretty sure, I was able to get Senior Sergeant in Vanilla without any world PvP on a PvP server.

PvE servers used to be more popular back in the day in vanilla. For some reason this is not the case with the unnamed and unofficial realms at all. There has been only one such realm and even that slowly died off bleeding its population to much more crowded PvP realm.

I've had enough ganking and griefing in past ten years. I'm gonna roll on PvE realm and stay as far as possible from Fortnight warriors and MOBA maniacs and enjoy my time in game farming mats, killing mobs and running dungeons without pointless wPvP that gives absolutely nothing to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    Thing is, on a pvp server you still have all the endgame PVE content a PVE server has available, whereas you lose out on an entire aspect of the game in the form of world pvp, which makes me think PvP servers will be vastly more popular.
    Losing an aspect of the game that is subjectively detrimental is not a minus.

Fact is, while the "visible" community (private server, MMO-Champ, reddit, etc.) is vastly favouring PvP, the population was actually pretty evenly distributed between PvE and PvP realms when they were separate (and it was even slightly more PvE-oriented during Vanilla IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    PvP servers will be vastly more popular than PvE servers. BUT! I have been a PvE boi since 2005 and will not change for classic for all the reasons you mentioned. PvP is not for me. My first toon ever was a priest on a PvP server and I damn near quit the game a dozen times over before reaching 60.
    PvP servers weren't more popular then, and they won't be now. The truth is after a month or so people will reroll on PvE servers because they want to actually play the game.

Once people realize that it's literally 3 times as slow to gear up on PvP servers because of getting corpse camped outside every max level dungeon they'll find it a waste to be on those lame servers.

Reality is most players of MMO's do not like pvp. It's always had a participation rate of around 10 to 20%.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played on a PvE server and there was more than enough world pvp for me, especially with the world defense channel on. It just happens with a little more consent, but that doesn't mean it's infrequent; so I don't understand the posters saying you'll miss out on half the endgame.

I suppose I have no idea if they'll be able to re-implement world defense though with their sharding shenanigans going on.
    Last edited by Nurasu; 2019-06-19 at 05:05 PM.

Always go PvE servers/realms on any game purely because I don't want to be ganked by multiple people.

I also know some people like the whole "oh hey look, someone is mining, let's kill them!" but that's pretty silly too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'm sticking on a RP-PvE server, I hate World PvP as a rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    RP-PvE here. If you like world PvP, awesome. I do not. I will be happily leveling, dungeoning and farming at my own pace.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    on the contrary on a pve server you lose just one thing: being ganked all of the time. you can still do world pvp when you flag yourself for pvp.