Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Most people don't care about that and the BG's are connected cross server anyways I am pretty sure, I was able to get Senior Sergeant in Vanilla without any world PvP on a PvP server.
    There will NOT be any BGs in Phase 2!! I repeat, there will not be any BGs in Phase 2 of vanilla. Honor System and PvP Rank Rewards will come in Phase 2, but the first BGs (WSG and AV) won't come until Phase 3 (one phase later). And AB won't come until Phase 4. This means there will be a time around (during Phase 2) when the only way to get honor and rank up will be through world PvP. And this is a problem on PvE servers since World PvP isn't enforced.

I don't think the first few weeks or first month will see much ganking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    There will NOT be any BGs in Phase 2!! I repeat, there will not be any BGs in Phase 2 of vanilla. Honor System and PvP Rank Rewards will come in Phase 2, but the first BGs (WSG and AV) won't come until Phase 3 (one phase later). And AB won't come until Phase 4. This means there will be a time around (during Phase 2) when the only way to get honor and rank up will be through world PvP. And this is a problem on PvE servers since World PvP isn't enforced.
    Ok, well then I won't PvP, no sweat off my back since only like 3 classes are actually useful in PvP.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    I've had enough ganking and griefing in past ten years. I'm gonna roll on PvE realm
    I don't know when exactly the patch was that prevented it but for a long time in classic you could pvp flag yourself by inadvertently hitting a flagged enemy with aoe.

I've played on a few unnamed servers over the years, and I've quit for the most part due to world PvP. Sadly PvE servers doesn't seem to be popular with the unnamed server community. Some people say to just suck it up and power through it, but I play the game mainly for PvE, and the occasional battleground - not to be ganked by max-level people. I've never understood why so many claim that world PvP is so great, I've rarely had an encounter where it's 1v1 or similar when leveling.

Wish all the people on PvP servers the best of luck, especially in STV - you're gonna need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I don't know when exactly the patch was that prevented it but for a long time in classic you could pvp flag yourself by inadvertently hitting a flagged enemy with aoe.
    I believe that will be true also in Classic. You just have to be extra careful when flagged players are around.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll also go pve cause I will not have 24/7 access to leveling due to work and I KNOW I will get chain ganked lvl 30+ if going pvp server so I rater place my time where it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Why would you play the game on easy mode?
    Counter argument - why would I not? And there really are very, very few games where you will get owned and you can't do anything about it, no matter your skills aka ganking.

Subjectively I find the occasional grievance of being ganked by a higher level player a very small price to pay for what is an entire extra dimension of the game to explore, spending over a decade exclusively on PvP/RP-PvP servers I can barely count on one hand the number of times it got bad enough where I had to log for 30-60 mins from camping.

Having said that I can empathise with people who just want to get on with leveling and focus on instanced content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having experienced the sheer autistic will of gankers on private servers nowadays I will be rolling on PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Most people don't care about that and the BG's are connected cross server anyways I am pretty sure, I was able to get Senior Sergeant in Vanilla without any world PvP on a PvP server.
    Depending on release schedule, it's very possible BGs are introduced after the honor system. BGs were released in 1.5 while the honor system was in 1.4.

On topic, I actually don't know what a majority of players will do without pvp in vanilla. There's really not much pve content outside of raiding.

World PvP can happen on PvE servers, and big skirmishes did happen back then on PvE servers. Honestly, it adds an interesting dynamic to it when people decide to flag themselves and join in on the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Can you give a source for that? The last announcement I read they omitted pvp things from the phases all together.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Depending on release schedule, it's very possible BGs are introduced after the honor system. BGs were released in 1.5 while the honor system was in 1.4.

On topic, I actually don't know what a majority of players will do without pvp in vanilla. There's really not much pve content outside of raiding.
    Most people won't be max level until the phases are mostly rolled out anyways, I may wait until March to play so that I can skip some of the shit I had already done in Vanilla, I am sure by then MC and BWL will be on farm for most guilds where they are easily able to clear them with 20-25 people and gear others up quickly.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I played both on both PvE and PvP servers back in vanilla. Both were fun, but you have to know what you're getting into when rolling on PvP. Expect to have the entrances to Blackrock mountain camped out and will require ghost running if your faction isn't the popular side, STV Nesingwary will be a complete battle as well, as are other hot spots. Also, initially on PvP servers people will be more interested in leveling than ganking, as a result interesting fights will break out of similar level opponents fighting over quest/mob grind spots. Later on in the life of the PvP servers though, expect as a level 20 to get ganked by level 60 rogues. Also expect that when you win a fair level PvP fight, that person will likely call on a high level guildy/friend or switch to their main to get revenge and camp you out.

I'll be going PvE for sure this time around. You can still flag for PvP as others have mentioned and there will people that do so and start up battles, whether it is outside capital cities or in hot spot areas. Honor farming is still way better in BGs (once they're out), and who cares about before that really, people will be busy leveling, grinding for gold, and getting gear.

If I had to guess, the streamers and high profile players will go to PvP servers, so likely those will be busy at release with everyone wanting to either join them or kill them. I also am guessing that those will be the servers to see big drop-offs in their population after the first few months. I think PvE servers will have less population overall but a more stable population.

10+ Year Old Account
    World PvP can be fun, but I will keep it within my control and go to a PvE server. Since I'll be picking a RP server and Blizzard has suggested there will be no RP-PvP servers at launch, I imagine plenty of RP oriented people will keep themselves flagged and I'll be able to get in on PvP if I want to.

I was on a PvP server in the old days and I am tempted to get on the other end of things instead of being a priest getting ganked, so maybe I'll make an alt on a PvP server and dabble there.
    /s

THe drawback of PvE servers is that you can not kill people farming your mobs that you need to farm for mats. It is enough that you have to compete with your own faction but having the other faction ruining your farming is not fun either.

Im happy with people going PvE server who cant handle wPvP (in any form!) - as its always fun for them if they are the ones "winning". They should stick to carebear servers.
    Will be always there to point whinning bitchez who cry cause of being ganked or Horde/Ally killing them to go ====PVE=SERVER=THAT=WAY===>
    Cant handle opposing faction being able to kill you, roll PvE and be happy, enjoy the game and anyone who wants to focus on PvE aspect should stick to PvE server.
    On PvP server they will only suffer, so they better think twice before they go and roll on a PvP server, its a wild and dangerous world out there that is not for everyone.

Rolling on a PVP server back during vanilla became one of my biggest regrets in WoW.

You'd be surprised how bad some players that have played for well over a decade are. They might be able to get good DPS while standing still and pushing a button or two, but there's too many variables in PvP for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne