Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Perhaps a Lot are Misinterpreting the "Level Squish"

Maybe what they intend to do was never cut the maximum level into a percent of what it is now but perhaps, what they mean by "squishing" is gradual introduction of a lower level max "soft cap" until it gradually reach the expac's max intended level cap like a scalingmax level....
    After all every system of scaling mechanics are now in place..
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-06-19 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand what you mean.
    Maybe that, for example, they will let you gain 5 levels at the start of the expansion and the last 5 during the patches?
    At any rate, no. If the ilvl squish is anything to go by, what Blizzard means by "squish" is to cut the number of levels.

The purpose of reducing the max level to 60 is to make it so when Classic Wow & Retail Wow merge in wow 2, the level caps aren't different.
    Expect to see Retail & Classic merge player bases in a new WOW2 come 2-3 years.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    Maybe what they intend to do was never cut the maximum level into a percent of what it is now but perhaps, what they mean by "squishing" is gradual introduction of a lower level max "soft cap" until it gradually reach the expac's max intended level cap like a scalinmax level....

Your thoughts?
    My main thought is that, and please don't take this as an insult, is that your grasp on English is somewhat... eccentric... and thus it is vastly more likely that it is you who is misunderstanding that the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    The purpose of reducing the max level to 60 is to make it so when Classic Wow & Retail Wow merge in wow 2, the level caps aren't different.
    This seems very far-fetched, especially as you're expecting what, only one more expansion for WoW?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    My main thought is that, and please don't take this as an insult, is that your grasp on English is somewhat... eccentric... and thus it is vastly more likely that it is you who is misunderstanding that the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

This seems very far-fetched, especially as you're expecting what, only one more expansion for WoW?
    Just as I know for a fact that a firefighter could mean one or the other:
    Someone who fights fire with water or a fighter who wields flame in his battle.

No harm or insult done. That is why I post this concern in a light of new perspective. Sometimes things doesn't always appear to be what it seems and there are other possibilities.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-06-19 at 09:20 PM.

Maybe what they intend to do was never cut the maximum level into a percent of what it is now but perhaps, what they mean by "squishing" is gradual introduction of a lower level max "soft cap" until it gradually reach the expac's max intended level cap like a scalingmax level....
    Your thoughts?
    I hope that it's legitimately a squish in the existing levels without impacting leveling speeds relative to the new levels. Leveling is a chore for most people now, not just because of the feeling of never-reaching-the-end, but in actual time. If leveling to max level is equivalent to getting to level 70 or 80 right now, I'll be extremely happy.

If all they do is scale it all back so it takes exactly as long as it does now, they're going to be in for some seriously negative feedback... and they'll have no one to blame but themselves. No one (sane) wants leveling to feel even worse than it did this expansion; and that's all increasing the amount of XP required by multitudes per level will do.

In other words, the "squish" should just be relative to what exists now. For example, everyone's level is reduced by half. Then leveling continues as per normal. No change in the amount of XP needs or leveling time; 60 to 70 should be exactly the same now as it will be after the squish.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2019-06-19 at 09:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    I hope that it's legitimately a squish in the existing levels without impacting leveling speeds relative to the new levels. Leveling is a chore for most people now, not just because of the feeling of never-reaching-the-end, but in actual time. If leveling to max level is equivalent to getting to level 70 or 80 right now, I'll be extremely happy.

If all they do is scale it all back so it takes exactly as long as it does now, they're going to be in for some seriously negative feedback... and they'll have no one to blame but themselves. No one (sane) wants leveling to feel even worse than it did this expansion; and that's all increasing the amount of XP required by multitudes per level will do.

In other words, the "squish" should just be relative to what exists now. For example, everyone's level is reduced by half. Then leveling continues as per normal. No change in the amount of XP needs or leveling time; 60 to 70 should be exactly the same now as it will be after the squish.
    But you know, number has a huge bearing with how we see things. It gives prestige as the higher number you reach. I think we do like seeing big numbers but not in a sense that it will be imperceptible due to being 5,6,7 digits long.

I mean it pays when seeing:”yes, I reached level 100 or wow, after 15 years of playing the game I am now level 130.. I can clearly recall when the max level was just 60, twice the amount already of what it is."

Perhaps if the squish the level in such a way that it won't be tedious and won't cause people to overexert themselves, say pace the leveling gradually. Things will be much more enjoyed leisurely and at the same time your accomplishement will not be triviliazied as you want to hurry things and speed level everything up just to reach the expansion's cap asap.

If they reduce everything now in half a lot of game elements will be affected and it will be a herculean task. Adjusting thebskills will readjust levels in acquiring them, the talwnt system gets affected, the will readjust experience once again, max level boost that was suppose to turn a character to 100 will be affected, the item and gears xurrently equip will have scaling issue due to downsizing on levels. There will BE TOO MANY adjustments needed to be that is tantamount on that single idea of level reduction.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-06-19 at 09:48 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, sure, I'll "expect" that. I also expect my neighbor lady's two dozen or so garden gnomes to come to life and convert the neighborhood mailbox cluster into condos for gnomes.

If they reduce everything now in half a lot of game elements will be affected and it will be a herculean task.
    Wrong. They already have the systems in place via the scaling system. (And yes, everything -- everything -- will be scaled in the revamp. You can choose to level from 20 to 30 in Outland, Northrend, Pandaria, Zandalar, or any other zone, because they'll all be using the same scaling system.)

They will fuck up raids and dungeons, but that's only because they always do.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong. They already have the systems in place via the scaling system. (And yes, everything -- everything -- will be scaled in the revamp. You can choose to level from 20 to 30 in Outland, Northrend, Pandaria, Zandalar, or any other zone, because they'll all be using the same scaling system.)

There's a huge problem when suddenly you're at level 120 then you become level 50. They have to come up with a plot twist convincing enough to pull it off if they really wanted to downscale max level but I have a huge feeling they won't.

There will behyge problem with number scaling specially those following exponential growth pattern and number sequences. It's like condensing everything in a vacuum sealed pack so it would look and appear as if it was jampacked and full of contents. I fear that the other aspects of the game will even more be triviliaized in such direction of cut-in-half reduction.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-06-19 at 10:01 PM.

There's a huge problem when suddenly you're at level 120 then you become level 50.
    Nope. You know why? <leans in and whispers> Because character levels aren't an in-character thing. WHOA. Did I just blow your mind?!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. You know why? <leans in and whispers> Because character levels aren't an in-character thing. WHOA. Did I just blow your mind?!
    Have you seen DMC,Darksiders https://segmentnext.com/2018/11/27/d...d-souls-guide/

and Castlevania - LoS series and even using it as currency? Even in those kind of game leveling up and experience contribute largely to chracter progression.

If they wanted all along to reduce the max level, they should have done it in Legion along with the Artifact Power drain.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-06-19 at 10:25 PM.

If they wanted all along to reduce the max level, they should have done it in Legion along with the Artifact Power drain.
    They sure could have, but they didn't.

They are now though.

(Again, did I just blow your fucking mind?!)

Have you seen DMC,Darksiders and Castlevania? Even in those kind of game leveling up and experience contribute largely to chracter progression.

But you are completely wrong. A characters level isnt canon. It isnt part of the narrative, it isnt part of the lore. Yet again you are MILES off base. But i look forward to you bumping the shit out of your own post to try desperately to keep it on the first page, while most people completely disagree with you, and struggle to understand wtf you are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    I want whatever stuff u smoke, seems like its quite strong.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Correct again. He wont listen to you, but you are correct. There will be some issues for sure, but they have spoken at length about the scaling tech. It certainly seems to get messed up on CERTAIN abilities in timewalking, for example, but only the raids. Mostly it seems to be percent based attacks and unusual mechanics that slip through. I remember running i THINK bt? on my prot war and ignore pain bassically didnt break the entire run. I was essentially unkillable so long as i kept IP up, and they were scaling ridiculously to the point my HP (shield) bar was 80% of the way across my screen. I think i had like 15k hp or w/e, and a 350,000 ignore pain.

There's a huge problem when suddenly you're at level 120 then you become level 50. They have to come up with a plot twist convincing enough to pull it off if they really wanted to downscale max level but I have a huge feeling they won't.
    why would blizz need a lore reason for the level squish? there wasn't any kind of lore needed for the stat squishes in the past, it just happened. there was no reason given that armor from argus was suddenly weaker.

Your thoughts?
    Uh no, they mean to make max level of BfA around 60 then the next expansion will increase the cap by 5-10.

If you've been around for any amount of time regarding the iLvl/Stat Squishes, you'd know the Level Squish will be exactly the same thing.

I'm predicting:
    Vanilla: 1-20 (if allied races start at 20 still, this means they skip all vanilla content)
    BC+LK: Now permanently fused together, 20-30 (this applies to all dungeons including heroics, raids, etc of both) [DKs start at 25 and hit 30 by the time they finish the DK intro, skipping all of their main expansion)
    Cata+MoP: 30-40 (same deal as above)
    WoD+Legion: 40-50 (DHs start at 45 and hit 50 by the end of the intro, also skipping their expansion like DKs)
    BfA: 50-55 or 50-60 (unsure which it would be)
    Expansion 8: 55-60 or 60-70, depending on if they want 5 or 10 levels for expansions moving forward.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk about grasping at straws, holy hell.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadrienne View Post
    Yeah, sure, I'll "expect" that. I also expect my neighbor lady's two dozen or so garden gnomes to come to life and convert the neighborhood mailbox cluster into condos for gnomes.
    Lol. Thread winner here folks.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)