Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Simply a moments rest when my burdens can be staved off for a moment and I can simply relax and be.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Simply a moments rest when my burdens can be staved off for a moment and I can simply relax and be.
    Meditation. If focused correctly can be a great tool for relief of stress and anxiety. Then again, some can do the same thing by exercising. The beginnings of happiness starts within ourselves and the way we think.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Meditation. If focused correctly can be a great tool for relief of stress and anxiety. Then again, some can do the same thing by exercising. The beginnings of happiness starts within ourselves and the way we think.
    I imagine it is close to but not quite mediation... it is more casting off worry and commitments for a time to simply enjoy oneself. I find a nice forest, river, and game makes for a good day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I imagine it is close to but not quite mediation... it is more casting off worry and commitments for a time to simply enjoy oneself. I find a nice forest, river, and game makes for a good day.
    Yeah. I know what you mean. I have a spot kept cleared along the edge of our woods, which at the top of the hill in the back, which offers a very pretty and wide view of the valley we live in. I can go there and just glazing across the valley can soothe me. In the fall, with the leafs turning colors, it is absolutely stunning.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

3+ Year Old Account
    Meaning to me:
    1):A Job with reasonable salary and welfare.(Enough to afford all my living expenses+costs of E-devices update yearly and worldwide travel 1-2times a year.)
    2):Playing the games which I wait for a long time.
    3):Own an hardcore offroad car, like Ford Raptor F150 V6 3.5T, to go wherever I want locally.
    4):Have several friends of same interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You should be. The question is, why are you not happy? I am happy and have pretty much what you do in terms of low stress, enough money to live well, and enough free time to do what I want.
    Just the opposite. High stress job, long hours, and though I get compensated very nicely for my efforts, I have little free time to actually do anything with. On some level I was happier unemployed last year, as insane as that may sound (and that too came with its own stresses I suppose)

Escape from the horrifying, soul-sucking void of reality for brief stretches of time.

And kittens. They're nice.

A whole page and no Conan quote? I guess what is best in life isn't really what is happiness but I'd have thought it could have been shoehorned in, jeez, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I thought about it but decided it'd be too corny. Plus, KITTENS!
    Drive the kittens before you...
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    A whole page and no Conan quote? I guess what is best in life isn't really what is happiness but I'd have thought it could have been shoehorned in, jeez, people.
    That's a good point. Do you know this version?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    That's a good point. Do you know this version?
    SMBC good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Just the opposite. High stress job, long hours, and though I get compensated very nicely for my efforts, I have little free time to actually do anything with. On some level I was happier unemployed last year, as insane as that may sound (and that too came with its own stresses I suppose)
    Well, your first post, you said= "Low to no stress, enough money to pursue my interests in a reasonable fashion, and absolute shitloads of free time. I doubt I'll ever actually be happy, western culture isn't built for it." So I assumed you do have a lot of free time. But anyway, I did not have a lot of free time when I worked full time. Did not like my job, but it paid very well and provided a great future I am enjoying now in retirement. The main time I was happy when I worked, was when I was with my family. Wife and 3 children.

Money and health

Today's model of happiness is continuing to find a job that does not require 2 hours per day travel time total. It's driving me insane. The money isn't worth it either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Escape from the horrifying, soul-sucking void of reality for brief stretches of time.

And kittens. They're nice.
    puppies>kittens
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Money is the key. The only thing money can't solve is a fully incurable disease or accidental death. With money you have security, peace of mind, can buy any toy or entertainment you want. Money gets you an attractive partner. If you are rich and unhappy something is seriously wrong with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Money is the key. The only thing money can't solve is a fully incurable disease or accidental death. With money you have security, peace of mind, can buy any toy or entertainment you want. Money gets you an attractive partner. If you are rich and unhappy something is seriously wrong with you.
    It's sad though.. Money yes.... But, meh.

Do not confuse happiness

with fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    What does happiness mean to you?
    Doing exactly what I want on my own time, not being dependent on anyone, banging my wife every night, playing with my kids every day, and living on honest and decent life. Taking care of my loved ones and making sure they always know I will give them everything and my all even if it's beyond this world.

Is feeling "Content" the same or different as feeling "Happy"?
    Honestly just living, and exploring life, not working to hard, but working on things I love and that matter to me. Building.

How dependent or not is "Happiness" based off minor life choices and results?
    Very, if there is anything I think I wish I knew starting out that I learned the hard way is that Details matter, general random assholes with opinions don't. Run your own race seriously.

What role does: Race, Color, Money, Geography, Politics, Age; play in part to one's "Happiness"?
    None seriously, I could give two fucks about somebodies race, color, money or Age, Politics I do, because those are a series of choices that effect everyone if we share the same resources.

I generally like good people with strong values, even if I don't always agree, I detest stupidity and greed, especially the kind that hurts other people and brings ruin.

Does simplicity or complexity drive increased or decreased values of "happiness"?
    Simplicity increases happiness, complexity not so much. I don't ask questions only to have more fucking questions, I mean that is part of the process, but I don't see barriers or shit that I have to do vs the thing I want to be doing fun.

The differences between levels of "Happiness" and other human beings?
    It's real simple. Love is the only real thing that gives life meaning. It also says a lot when you run across people who are more certain about what they'll do to fuck someone over, vs not having any clue how to actually love someone.

There is always the idea of having something, and then the reality, people get fucked up over this shit, it's fortunately a lesson I did learn on enough. Most people don't give a shit about themselves, so by default they don't give a fuck about anybody else.

Those that do, are always going to be particular in their dealings with others. Obviously most aren't always fair, and that is another kind of problem.

But dealing with people who actually have values and care about something anything and move in that direction with sound logic and reasoning, that is going to make all the difference in the happiness of other people.

Which is clearly not all that common.

In lay somewhere between the delusions of being someone nice or the lack of honesty people have to be themselves, warts and all.

Nobody is perfect, but I'll take people dealing with it, positive and negative, and if they struggle to be honest about it, as they are with other people going through the same shit.

I generally hate other people, which is NOT their problem it's mine, but it has to do with everything I have written so far. I don't look to make my life complicated, I like to work with purpose and enjoy life, others not wanting to do that or only at the expense of others, consciously or not, are not happiness

Share your thoughts, learning exercise let commence. Thank you!
    Good questions, hopefully they can be about something
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Great sex is all I need
    illuminati all over my body