Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Could you imagine the shit show.

Fire mages on fire resist bosses
    Frost on Frost resist.
    Shadow resist and shadow priests.

it would guarantee a Taliesin "It was a shit show obviously." skit.
    I mean, logically it makes sense. Why would Ragnaros or fire elementals for that matter be damaged by fire spells?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Physical weapons shouldn't harm AIR elementals, in my example. Earth elementals are 100% ok being hurt by physical weapons imo.
    Pay attention, carefully. In World of Warcraft, when one of those basic elementals die, they basically disperse, leaving behind only the bindings and basic elements.

When a sword wielder attacks an elemental of any type, they'r disrupting it's form until it's too unstable for it to maintain - that's when it dies. Earth elementals? They crumble, because they can't keep it together. Air elementals? You disrupt that little air flow they call body, making it harder for it to keep it's own winds inside that little body area. OR you damage the bindings (the big-ass bracers they use) until they fuck off to the Elemental Plane. Sometimes you can loot their bracers, or even some sort of remaining Elemental Air. Yes, you can pick up Air and put it in your bag in WoW. Now idea how it's kept together, but it is.

Elementals feel physical contact like normal creatures - including Air Elementals, because it's rare to ignore a Sword jumbling it's flow.

It makes more sense than e.g. harming a big watery elemental with frost spells. I thought this was a RPG instead of raid boss simulator, my bad.
    Tbh it makes no sense that a water elemental (a being made of water and magic, nothing else) can be harmed with a metal weapon, but an icicle of solid ice is just absorbed without harm.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

nothing triggers me more in the past few months than people constantly saying "rpg elemenets" about every single bullshit thing

Btw, how can you hit an air elemental with a sword, when, you know, the sword can't touch it? Therefore, a smart warrior proceeds to get a temporary weapon enhancement from his enchanter/scribe/whatever buddy and presto, problem solved.
    So you're saying every melee has to get these mentioned consumables when fighting elementals, too? Or do you just handwaive that as "yeah the character already did that", but the caster can't damage these enemies unless they actually use the consumable in the game?
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Enchanting: Scroll of Burning Ice - Deal Fire damage instead of Frost for X mins. Minor scrolls are cheap to make, but their effect disappears on death. Major scrolls are more expensive, but last through death.

- Deal Frost damage instead of Physical for X mins. Minor/major runes could work as well.

Cooking: Stew of Oppressive Shadows - Deal no Shadow damage, dealing Physical damage instead.

Damn some people are uncreative af.
    So your solution is to render the entire mechanic irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Could you imagine the shit show.

Fire mages on fire resist bosses
    Frost on Frost resist.
    Shadow resist and shadow priests.

it would guarantee a Taliesin "It was a shit show obviously." skit.
    That would be shit show of such grand scale that it would be on the news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a nice idea if done correctly

The way they did it in vanilla/tbc: total shit

Argus fight: good
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Enchanting: Scroll of Burning Ice - Deal Fire damage instead of Frost for X mins. Minor scrolls are cheap to make, but their effect disappears on death. Major scrolls are more expensive, but last through death.

- Deal Frost damage instead of Physical for X mins. Minor/major runes could work as well.

Cooking: Stew of Oppressive Shadows - Deal no Shadow damage, dealing Physical damage instead.

Damn some people are uncreative af.
    soooooo... add resistances aaaaand render it useless? I mean yeah, rpg. I guess.

To my defence: it's better than what we had in vanilla/tbc, so I would look differently at that. Good job at looking at this like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Because that doesn't undermine class fantasy at all - Damn some people have some really bad ideas
    "As long as it means more effort for people that aren't me."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    So your solution is to render the entire mechanic irrelevant?
    Not irrelevant, but doable within the limits that a raiding environment imposes to game mechanics. Lots of RPGs (tabletop, adventure, even hack and slash) have damage conversion mechanics, so they're all doing it wrong by your standards.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's silly - "I'm a fire mage but my fiery spells now do frost damage because I need to damage the boss" how would that work with dots? Immolate burns the target with frost? Fire slows? It's just a dumb idea
    Change would only apply to damage type,. secondary effects would be unchanged.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Blizzard...the destroyer of fun! T.T
    Do tell me how much fun fire mages had in Molten Core, please. And how much fun arcane mages had when they reached the Curator in the Karazhan raid...

5+ Year Old Account
    So your solution would make the game literally no different than now? Why would you bother adding resists at all. Sorry, it's a terrible idea.
    I proposed it as a way to add (textual) a layer of RPG paint to the game, nothing more, nothing less. But it seems that the raid boss simulator crowd is offended even by such minor changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    When a sword wielder attacks an elemental of any type,
    Not the biggest lore buff myself, but I always thought that any melee attack other than auto hits already are done using magic. Even something like Shield Slam... it is more effective when you cast Shield Block before. Not only that but a warrior can slam the shield s/he is currently raising. Simultaneously. Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    How does it make it more interesting?
    It makes your whole arsenal useful instead of just making your spec the same three spells regardless of who you're facing.
    It also increases the verisimilitude of the game and the immersion.

"hey, a being made of fire !"
    "let's throw fire at it to burn it !"
    "wait, what ?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    We had that in classic, it sucked was great. Elementals were immune to nature as well as their own element (fire ele = immune to fire and nature) as well as bleeds. Undead were immune to poisons and bleeds. Mechanicals were immune to poisons and bleeds. Most dragons were immune to fire. There were others.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Akka; 2019-06-21 at 02:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Was Tali even around during vanilla? If he wasn't..then he has no right to call it a shit show
    I'm just saying..it would make the game more interesting and bring back a forgotten rpg element to the game.
    There is quite literally nothing interesting about Resistances. Since it would come down to:
    A class isn't affected so doesn't change the gameplay at all for them.
    B class is affected and they just get left out of content since classes that aren't affected are instantly better.

Al'ar was always my least favorite fight as a Fire Mage...

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It's funny when people complain about "muh rpg" but have absolutely no issues with the fact that both Male and Female characters start off with the same amount of stamina / strength and that a Gnome Warrior could easily overpower any Tauren Warrior, despite the fact that Tauren are clearly superior in terms of physical strength / stamina.

I mean, technically your average Tauren could probably kill a gnome just by stepping on it, right? How about we introduce that into the game?
    Let's give all Gnome characters the "shrunk" debuff from the Mekkatorque encounter and they get trampled whenever a character with clearly greater size walks over them.
    Ah yeah, the usual "hey look, SOMETHING is not realist, so NOTHING has to be and ANYTHING can be justified !" /facepalm

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Ah yeah, the usual "hey look, SOMETHING is not realist, so NOTHING has to be and ANYTHING can be justified !" /facepalm
    You want a controversial mechanic to come back to make the game more realistic/"RPG like".

Meanwhile Kralljin pointed out that other realistic mechanics aren't in the game because they too are controversial.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow you're pretty defensive because every think your idea is silly. What would be the point in adding resistances if your idea completely negates that? The only difference is now fire mages sometimes do frost damage, which is just so dumb. Get a thicker skin lol
    Right? There are good reasons that explain why mob resistances aren't as common anymore (they still exist, like in the Argus adds phase, or how some gear increases our damage against some types of mobs, or how some skills have extra effects against undead/demons/etc).