Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I hope the Wachowski brothers (sorry, Wachowski sisters) are as cool as they were in the early 00s. I'm really looking forward to this film.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daughterofgirl View Post
    I hope the Wachowski brothers (sorry, Wachowski sisters) are as cool as they were in the early 00s. I'm really looking forward to this film.
    Only one of them is involved and somehow I doubt this will be anything substantial. The time to utilize the series has passed and like everything else in Hollywood, playing off nostalgia by rehashing franchises with mediocre films seems to be all they are good at now.

5+ Year Old Account
    new trailer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Just watched new trailer… this all seems very “Hey! You didn’t forget about our Matrix movies, did you!?”

Still not that impressed, tbh.
    thats because they intertwine
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Not too impressed myself. But I admit it does appear that made an effort to fix the idiocy of the 2 sequels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was that one guy who just never cared enough about the Matrix franchise. first one was okay, showed some good looking effects for their time, but the story never grabbed me.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I was that one guy who just never cared enough about the Matrix franchise. first one was okay, showed some good looking effects for their time, but the story never grabbed me.
    If you ever got into the rpg "Mage the Ascension" it could easily have fit into the game. At the end of that first movie Neo would have been an Oracle/Bodhisattva (those such enlightened that help others achieve their own enlightenment)

Just watched new trailer… this all seems very “Hey! You didn’t forget about our Matrix movies, did you!?”

Still not that impressed, tbh.
    Well it worked for Jurassic Park...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The original was phenomenal for its time, bullet-time was brand new and didn't feel overused, it was one of the first films to really use wire-fu with a Hollywood budget and they had a really good handle on the idea that less is more with digital effects

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Well it worked for Jurassic Park...

- - - Updated - - -

The original was phenomenal for its time, bullet-time was brand new and didn't feel overused, it was one of the first films to really use wire-fu with a Hollywood budget and they had a really good handle on the idea that less is more with digital effects
    Wait until the Avatar 2 trailer drops (whenever that is)

To be honest, after the first trailer I figured I would go see it as I've already seen the first 3 but it wasn't like a must see, day 1, kind of film. I'm more excited now but will probably watch it the second week.

It did, but this just looks like they're re-doing the original movie with a younger cast of characters, minus Neo and Trinity. I feel like they could have made it different and new... but maybe I'm wrong -- we'll see.
    haha, keep on dreaming. They are in the milking business

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m leaning toward HBO Max and maybe seeing it in theaters if it’s any good. There are a ton of movies coming out in the next few weeks that I know I want to see in the theater and this reboot/sequel feels like one I might get bored with. Plus I can just throw it up on the 65” and crank the surround at home for it. Thanks HBO.
    See for me - its the opposite. But not because of I have such high expectations of Matrix 4 - I don't. But because special effects look so much cooler/better on the big screen and THIS is a movie for special effects. So that even if the plot isn't all that, I can have fun being immersed in pretty shinies if nothing else =D.

Whereas some of the Xmas release movies in the next few weeks will not suffer at all for being seen on the "small" screen. Because they aren't so filled (or have any at all) with special effects. (Mine's at 90" but when it comes to movies built on special effects, movie screens still bigger so better)

Now if this Matrix's special effects are crap - well... that really will be a sad, sad, day.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The Matrix movies tend to be fairly dark, and, for me, are always better viewed in a well-lit room, as opposed to a dark movie theater. But my eyes are shit so who knows.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Well done special effects can look a lot cooler on the big screen, but aside from 1 or 2 scenes The Matrix isn’t known for that. Most of it actually plays better on a small screen where shit doesn’t look so obviously cgi’d.
    Isn't known for that? Huh?

This movie invented a new CGI/Camera technique for the first one to film "Bullet Time" the way they did. Maybe NOW the CGI looks dated and obvious - but when these movies were originally released, that wasn't the case. These movies were famous for their awesome and groundbreaking CGI/Special effects and how they used them in fight scenes. And not just for one or two scenes - but for the effects that run throughout the majority of the movie(S). Every time Neo or Trinity jumps in the air and float/camera spins (CGI - for example) - that was mindblowing to American Audiences at that time. And they do that quite often =D. Unless you were an animae fan, you'd never have seen that before. Every machine, every fight scene, all the big "underground" shots - CGI.

Now, certain scenes - esp. in 2 and 3 - the '100s Smith' Fight and the Final "Rainstorm Fight" between Smith and Neo for example - definitely show their age and the limitations of the abilities of the computers and CGI of the years they came out. So yea, those don't hold up even near as well - they were 'obvious' even back then. Couldn't do much about it - it was the 'best' humans had at the time to be able to pull off - but yea, even at release those scenes were 'obvious' in their CGI.

But to say that The Matrix movies aren't known for special effects or CGI is just not true. When they were released - they were ABSOLUTELY known for their groundbreaking special effects. There were hours and hours of behind the scenes specials on /just/ the tech and special effects. And they myraid of 'copy cat' effects that have spun off of it since to the point that some of these are considered 'tropes' in action movies - well the trope started with the Matrix and its use of those cgi special effects.

I remember when these movies launched, I remember opening night watching Matrix I on an IMAX screen. And going back another 5 times to watch it on an Imax screen - so that different friends would go see it (and be blown away). We (American audiences not familiar with animae) just had never 'seen anything like it'. That wasn't just the plot - and it wasn't the writing or the acting. That was the effects - or perhaps the affect (effect?) of the effects =D.

Now i'm REALLY NOT expecting this Matrix movie to have any groundbreaking tech or innovations (It might but i'd have expected to hear about that by now lol) in CGI or anything. I'm just expecting it to be quality special effects. Because if we get something that DOES look like the end Smith-Neo fight of Matrix 3 - then yea, this movie was never meant as a sequel and they really are just 'phoning it in' because the first trilogy built itself not only on the IP but the awesome special effects, too. I just want it to be equal to the 'standard' of most of the rest of the Matrix movies, and not the standard from the Two "really obvious/bad" CGI fight scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Matrix movies tend to be fairly dark, and, for me, are always better viewed in a well-lit room, as opposed to a dark movie theater. But my eyes are shit so who knows.
    Might be more due to screen (or resolution?) quality too. When I'm watching a dark movie - "well lit" never helps - usually because of the reflections in the room on the dark (or attempting to be dark) TV screens. Usually to see the details/action in 'dark' movies or tv shows at home we have to turn OFF all the lights in the room because of the screen glare. But yea - that's me and hubby (and he has more trouble seeing dark scenes with lights on than I do) preferences.

The movie theater is dark (or at least the good ones are) and the cloth screens have no glare - so for us 'dark movies' usually aren't a problem at all in the theaters.

YMMV of course - to each's own! If we had a projection screen at home that was cloth, then lights on for dark scenes would cease to be the issue they are now - for us. One day! Saving up money to hopefully have that true home theater experience and then it won't matter - eventually!
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-12-09 at 08:26 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I think this is coming out tonight at midnight?

Release date is 12/22, don't know if that means it'll be up at midnight.

I'm all about watching it tonight, tbh. Believe my HBO Max sub is up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think this is coming out tonight at midnight?

Release date is 12/22, don't know if that means it'll be up at midnight.

I'm all about watching it tonight, tbh. Believe my HBO Max sub is up to date.
    HBO says its live at midnight in case you haven't seen by now.

According to Forbes: The film goes live on the streaming service at midnight PT / 3 AM ET, making it the perfect movie for night owls and insomniacs this evening.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ns-on-hbo-max/

3 AM EST is way too late for me, I guess I'm gonna wait til tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie was okay, nothing great. I guess it sort of better ending to the series than Revolution but also feels unnecessary. It's like post ending DLC for a game that out five years ago. A passion project from some devs that no one asked for.

The beginning was interesting once it go going. I feel like the final act was rushed just to end the movie somewhere. It's like the movie introduced a ton of cool concepts but then someone looked at the runtime and said, "opps we have to wrap it up now" so they just slapped something together.

Its worth a watch if only for the nostalgia.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The movie was okay, nothing great. I guess it sort of better ending to the series than Revolution but also feels unnecessary. It's like post ending DLC for a game that out five years ago. A passion project from some devs that no one asked for.

The beginning was interesting once it go going. I feel like the final act was rushed just to end the movie somewhere. It's like the movie introduced a ton of cool concepts but then someone looked at the runtime and said, "opps we have to wrap it up now" so they just slapped something together.

Its worth a watch if only for the nostalgia.
    The final act was very rushed, but the first hour or so was a fucking joy. Enjoyed it on the whole.