Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    NGL I'm kind of over the Matrix. Unless this brings something exceptional to the table, it'll be hard for me to see this as anything but the latest cash-grab iteration of Re(do/make/boot/master/etc.) culture.

And nothing I've seen so far from pictures or explanations has indicated this will be something new and/or unique.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's been so long since the trilogy, and last movie was disappointing enough that I have very little hype for this one. Seems it's again man vs machine, for the 4th time. Will see it, but expectations are low. Also is Keanu banned from cutting his hair?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Honestly after reading the synopsis that was released a few weeks ago, it sounds a lot like a rehash of the first film, with a few changes here and there, similar to Terminator Dark Fate & the Force Awakens.

Well if I would write the plot to Matrix 4, then I would let Neo and Trinity awaken to a new layer of reality after their "deaths" and realising that Zion was just another variant of control. If you don't want to live in the dream, you will get something which matches your expectations of "reality".
    Due to some kind of a bug in the system / whatever other explanation is plausible, the machines don't notice what happened.
    Neo and Trinity use their newfound knowledge to fight the system from within. They become "body-hopping" ghosts due to their special condition.
    You can move anywhere from here...

No expectations for this one tbh. And yes, many shots seem like a remake of the first film. I'm expecting some sort of 'Deus Ex Machina copied his mind before death and cloned their bodies' shenanigans.

Hmf there's only one "Matrix" film. And that's the first one.
    #sympathyForCypher

I have been getting really strong reboot vibes from this movie and it might be for the best. Which might not be bad. The only problem is a lot of times in hollywood these days it kinda does.

I am kind of curious if this movie will get the "Top Gun 2 treatment" where it just keeps getting kicked down the road for years and years until COVID "doesn't exist anymore" and they can release it in the theaters and get the billions and billions dream.

Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    Well if I would write the plot to Matrix 4, then I would let Neo and Trinity awaken to a new layer of reality after their "deaths" and realising that Zion was just another variant of control. If you don't want to live in the dream, you will get something which matches your expectations of "reality".
    Due to some kind of a bug in the system / whatever other explanation is plausible, the machines don't notice what happened.
    Neo and Trinity use their newfound knowledge to fight the system from within. They become "body-hopping" ghosts due to their special condition.
    You can move anywhere from here...
    Pretty sure that this was part of the original concept of the films and supposed to occur in the second film. It was changed and that's why films 2 and 3 are pretty disjointed and shitty.

OT: Let's be real here, Matrix 1 is unintentional genius which 2 and 3 bore out to be the reality as they are a far cry from the same quality. I have little hopes for any kind of redo on the serious as they set in stone their "lore" and that lore concluded, this is going to feel like a tacked on story that's likely a pandering cash grab.

7+ Year Old Account
    if the movie does not pick up from where the last movie ended im not much interested, they will have to make something groundbreaking or start with another "chosen one" like he neos before the one in the movie, this would be like one neo of a future

Well, there's a full trailer on Thursday, we'll see.

From what I can figure out from this teaser, Neo is kind of lost, in the Matrix, of his own volition. The teaser today shows him swallowing a bunch of blue pills (as opposed to the red which wake you up).

To me it hints to a story about self-actualization as opposed to destiny/fate themes of the original. This one will be about him wanting to live in the real world, instead of a Matrix which soothes and comforts him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It obviously won't be as good as the first one, but it might be fun on the big screen.

These shots that are reminiscent of the first movie are probably a plot device that connects the fourth movie with the past.

Hype for this one. I think the trilogy is brilliant, people that bash it really seems like they just didnt understand the movies well enough, time for a rewatch maybe with an open mind? First movie is actually the least intellectual one, but it's the best as an action sci-fi. So I guess that's what people like.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Hype for this one. I think the trilogy is brilliant, people that bash it really seems like they just didnt understand the movies well enough, time for a rewatch maybe with an open mind? First movie is actually the least intellectual one, but it's the best as an action sci-fi. So I guess that's what people like.
    The first movie is a perfect application of the Descartian conundrum. If you consider it intellectually inferior it might have gone over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    The first movie is a perfect application of the Descartian conundrum. If you consider it intellectually inferior it might have gone over your head.
    First of all, it's Descartes conundrum. If you're gonna act like a "Know it all"-turd that tries to be above everyone, to it right. And the thing is, it's something taught in school and something people recognize, something familiar and with a lot of information around it. Which makes people like it more, since it makes sense to them.

Second of all, the entire trilogy is an application of Descartes condundrum, if you don't understand it, it really have gone over your head. As said, might be worth a new watch with an open mind. The 2nd and especially the 3rd one is brilliant if you look past the old and clunky CGI fight scenes.

Most likely a movie I mostly watch for visuals and fight scenes. Story is low prio on this one. If it becomes good I will be happily surprised... if it's bad, well. I got what I came for.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

The stupidity of the 2nd movie can't be measured when compared to the brilliance of the first. (He took the time to go hand-to-hand fighting agents in the opening sequence when he didn't need to to. I guess he was playing? He later takes the time flying to a mortally wounded Trinity when he can instantly be at her side. I could go on if I bothered to remember such tripe.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    One critic said it was the best "mind fuck since 2001 A Space Odyssey." The sequels...the less said the better.

First of all, it's Descartes conundrum. If you're gonna act like a "Know it all"-turd that tries to be above everyone, to it right. And the thing is, it's something taught in school and something people recognize, something familiar and with a lot of information around it. Which makes people like it more, since it makes sense to them.

Second of all, the entire trilogy is an application of Descartes condundrum, if you don't understand it, it really have gone over your head. As said, might be worth a new watch with an open mind. The 2nd and especially the 3rd one is brilliant if you look past the old and clunky CGI fight scenes.
    I love the trilogy and mostly agree with you. I simply view it as a Hegelian dialetic thesis-antithesis-synthesis problem. People love the thesis, especially in the West. It's the one where you break free from control, the individual-as-paramount, the typical hero journey.

The second movie was fatalistic - man-as-a-cog in a larger machine. It points out the hypocrisy of freedom, its arrogance, its limitations.

The third is the synthesis of the trilogy, and ends with a brilliant scene with Smith and Neo in the pit, Smith questioning why Neo continues to fight when he knows for a fact he cannot win - and Neo responds that it's because he chooses to. And that choice in the face of inevitable defeat ultimately allows him to transcend and prevail.

The themes of the last two are definitely not mainstream Western ideas.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As with the last few Posters - I too am a fan of ALL THREE movies of the original trilogy. And no, not for the "action scenes" which of course, after the innovation and ground breaking the 1st movie did, can't be topped by its sequels - but because of the ongoing philosophical debates within the movies.

The 2nd movie's ending - the "Architect" scene alone - is worth the rest of the movie - so much meaning in that exchange. So much to unpack.

I look forward to this one - but I'm not expecting the philosophical theorizing to be there. I'm just hoping the special effects and fight scenes will at least be 'worth the watch' but I am not at all expecting the 'more intelligent' backdrop to still be there.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    He later takes the time flying to a mortally wounded Trinity when he can instantly be at her side. I could go on if I bothered to remember such tripe.)
    How could he be instantly at Trinity's side? Did he ever use an instant teleportation technique that i am not aware of or i don't remember?

Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    How could he be instantly at Trinity's side? Did he ever use an instant teleportation technique that i am not aware of or i don't remember?
    The first movie he transcends his avatar's mortal limits in the matrix. At the end of first movie he was instantly rewriting the matrix code...on a whim.
    You guys keep forgetting that those were little more than avatars...programming code..
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-09-08 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarification