Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

[Movie] Matrix 4

The Wachowski’s Set To Return To Direct Michael B. Jordan’s ‘Matrix’ Film – Eyeing Early 2020 Production Start In Chicago (EXCLUSIVE)

Last month, Chad Stahelski said to Yahoo Movies that the Wachowskis will be returning in some format in the new ‘Matrix’ film. He reportedly told the outlet: “I’m super happy that the Wachowskis are not just doing a Matrix, but they’re expanding what we all loved. And if it’s anywhere near the level of what they’ve already done, it wouldn’t take more than a call to go, ‘Hey, we want you to be a stunt guy’ and I would probably go and get hit by a car.”

However, Slashfilm has since reported that the comment is inaccurate and was taken out of context, but nevertheless we have heard a new ‘Matrix’ film is happening soon at Warner Bros with the Wachowskis set to return to direct.

As previously reported by THR, Zak Penn will write the screenplay and Michael B Jordan will star. We have learned that the Wachowskis will return to direct the film and will begin production in early 2020 in Chicago, they have been secretly prepping the film under the working title “Project Ice Cream”. Plot details are currently under wraps for the film however the project is already beginning to fill out it’s crew with Hugh Bateup, who was an art director on 1999’s ‘The Matrix’ set to return to the franchise as the production designer for this film.

Michael B. Jordan’s Outlier Society Productions and Warner Bros will produce the film, it is currently unknown whether the film will still be a reboot or will be a sequel to the previous trilogy.

The GWW has also reported that the film will shoot in Chicago under the name ‘Project Ice Cream’ with Lana Wachowski set to be one of the directors.
    https://discussingfilm.net/2019/06/2...ago-exclusive/
    Last edited by Kontinuum; 2019-12-12 at 08:22 AM.

Why would you remake something that's already a masterpiece.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might not be a reboot.

Anyway, the last two movies are very flawed, mainly the last one. A lot could be done to make them better, if it turns out to be a reboot that is.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Man, what will happen when people realize that the revolutionaries of Zion tend to be people of color and one of the main rebels in the first movie was a transgender woman named Switch?

Hopefully, it's a sequel. I think Neo's story is done. I actually really liked Reloaded and Revolutions, and can go on and on ad nauseum about the Hegelian cycle of thesis, antithesis, synthesis that these films represented (and especially about how among Western audiences, only the first movie hit home, a movie about choice and personal freedom and waking up from a sort of digital slavery, while the latter two movies dealt with the conflicts and contradictions of that).

That being said, I don't see how a new writer will have the chops the Wachowskis did back in the late 90s. Every line in those movies are perfect, down to when Captain Soren says something like, "Do it as fast as humanly possible," reflecting the limitations of the humans in their fight against the machines - because of course the machines could do it infinitely faster.

Favorite cameo: Cornel West playing a councilor. Imagine a philosopher and theologian being so impressed with your movie he befriends you and then has a cameo in your two sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post

Anyway, the last two movies are very flawed, mainly the last one. A lot could be done to make them better, if it turns out to be a reboot that is.
    The last one didn't really leave room for continuation though. Maybe I'm a too skeptical but I am pretty sure this will be a disaster like most modern reboots. Also I love Keanu with all my heart but he is a bit old to be playing Neo in a remake, and anyone else will just not be the same.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post

I disagree wholeheartedly. I always maintain that the last two movies deal with themes Western audiences don't really care for, themes which clash with freedom and personal choice, themes like having to trust a part of the system you're rebelling from, how dependent on the system you're trying to break free from you may be, how you may have a destiny and a fate, how you can't understand where you're going without understanding the why behind your previous choices.

The main flaw in the latter two movies end up being the CGI, which they tried to push too far. It was especially noticeable in the Burly Brawl where Neo looks downright plastic at points, and then the final fight scene in Revolutions, where the aerial stuff between Smith and Neo didn't really have much impact. In fact, the fighting was the weakest parts of the movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because if it is good we have another good movie, and if it sucks, well then we dont have to watch it.

The tech would have to be updated to reflect life today. Mostly they'd probably ditch the idea of hardlines. Everything is wireless now and you'd include RFID and of course RFID shielding. They'd use smartphones instead of bricks and clamshell phones.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The whole wireless angle doesn't really add to the story, it just updates the aesthetic.

Unless they figure out something to spoof wireless traffic, and can "drop in" on people still plugged into the Matrix, making the revolutionaries almost like Agents. But again, that would go way against the theming of these movies.

And come on, a smartphone will never be as cool as that Nokia whose bottom shot out to expose the keypad. It's the first time I remember ever wanting a cellphone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping this reboot sensation would slow down in the next decade., but it doesn't look like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like it may a be prequel, Morpheus origins? Would like to see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last one didn't really leave room for continuation though. Maybe I'm a too skeptical but I am pretty sure this will be a disaster like most modern reboots. Also I love Keanu with all my heart but he is a bit old to be playing Neo in a remake, and anyone else will just not be the same.
    I don't know about that. He did play John Wick. Some adjustments need to be done, but if it comes down to it, I think he can do it actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Sounds like it may a be prequel, Morpheus origins? Would like to see that.
    I honestly hate prequels. They might be interesting from a point of view, but they rarely make good movies, just my opinion though.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Man, what will happen when people realize that the revolutionaries of Zion tend to be people of color and one of the main rebels in the first movie was a transgender woman named Switch?
    The same thing that always happens? A few idiots complain and the Media makes it seem like there's some vast anti-Lbgt/Racist conspiracy?

They already rebooted their genders, so why not this too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not interested in a reboot. Not interested in a prequel.

Might be willing to give a sequel a go. Maybe some kind of "history repeating itsself" or "all out war between humans and the machines" (o wait that's Terminator). Maybe Terminator and The Matrix actually exist in the same timeline.

Okay, I'd watch a Terminator/Matrix crossover.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I always maintain that the last two movies deal with themes Western audiences don't really care for, themes which clash with freedom and personal choice, themes like having to trust a part of the system you're rebelling from, how dependent on the system you're trying to break free from you may be, how you may have a destiny and a fate, how you can't understand where you're going without understanding the why behind your previous choices.

The main flaw in the latter two movies end up being the CGI, which they tried to push too far. It was especially noticeable in the Burly Brawl where Neo looks downright plastic at points, and then the final fight scene in Revolutions, where the aerial stuff between Smith and Neo didn't really have much impact. In fact, the fighting was the weakest parts of the movies.
    I'd have to agree, especially when it comes to the underlying themes and symbolism in the movies. It's really heavy content that you could get into as an adult, but generally as a younger person you don't care or it goes over your head. Due to restrictions in the production of the last two movies, quite a bit of it was rushed to some degree.

I think people know and don't care? The huge difference between how it was done in the Matrix and how it's been done in other movies is that it's not shoved in your face and "zomg diversity at all costs!" in terms of it's implementation. It's the difference between making a character that happens to be transgender or it's actually important to the story versus making a character transgender because you "need" a transgender character. In the Matrix, there were no side comments or exposition going into the races/genders of people, or bringing it to the forefront because it doesn't matter to the story. If it's not important to the story, don't make a big deal out of it or intentionally focus on it or rub it in the audience's face. People want to be entertained, not lectured.

Anyways, I'll hold my reservations until a trailer or more info comes out as to whether I think it'll be interesting or not. Having Jordan staring is already a meh point. I liked him a lot more in the Creed setting than Black Panther and other roles he's done, not sure how it'd translate into a Matrix movie. Could surprise me, who knows? In general, I kind of hope the movie isn't a reboot and something more original. Getting rather fatigued with reboots.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

When this is your last movie and people stop giving you money to waste, its time to go back to the classics!

Fun fact: Lawrence Fishburne was 36 years old when they filmed the Matrix (1999). He looked like he was in his 50s. Keanu Reeves is just 3 years younger than him.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Also they wanted Will Smith for the role of Neo.