Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Global warming, what to do?

(like a 2 hour video)

David Wallace-Wells seems like a fear mongerer. He says things like:

1. By 2030 there will be places in the world where it's too hot to go outside.
    2. Global warming will reduce global GDP by 1/3rd.
    3. As the ice melts, ancient diseases will be unleashed as frozen corpses are exposed.
    4. And many more things.

I was thinking about replacing coal power plants with nuclear power plants. This might reduce CO2 output by 30% in the US. Then I thought, 30% of 15% isn't that much. I don't even know if we have the national will to replace coal plants with nuclear.

David Wallace-Wells says that if Chinese concrete production were a country, just Chinese concrete production, it would be the #1 contribute to global warming. How do you tell China to stop it's modernization?
    What to do?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Effectively terraforming our own planet while we live on it. If anything he undersells the danger in some instances.

What do "we" do is a big and open question. Most of the core assumptions of American Civilization go out the window however since a society of consumerism isn't going to be healthy and sustainable.

What he gets KINDA wrong is say California's wildfires. In general, the desolation of the western half of the continental United States is a mix of climate change but also the fact that the parts of the US settled west of the Mississippi were predicated on faulty understandings of rain cycles and an arrogant over estimation of our ability to sustain a hydrolic society out west. The whole region goes through droughts that can and have lasted a century. The priarie has been a sand dune covered desert many times before. The Western US is a sink for electricity because we need megawatts of power to pump water, but we need water to generate megawatts to pump that water and ultimately the entire system of irrigation, water law and hydro-electric generation is built on faulty assumptions about average sustained rainfall.

Climate Change just makes the shifts more radically and will undeniably render a lot of territories uninhabitable as it will just be too blisteringly difficult to sustain life outside of a very small oasis like areas. Even California is likely doomed in the end as water is drained out and we gradually salt the Central Valley with the current irrigation canals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

"1. By 2030 there will be places in the world where it's too hot to go outside."

I mean technically there already are. They're called deserts. Many of them were thriving with life until we came along and exploited them without concerning ourselves with the long-term ramifications and sustainability of it.

In short: Our planet is the truffula forest and we are the guy making the thneeds. We need to think ahead to counter any long-term damage we do, or...

Geoengineering if you want to solve the problem, Puranitical individual sacrifice if you're just looking for a new spiritualism.

He's not a fear mongerer, those estimates are conservative. Unfortunately global warming is occurring faster than anticipated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    China has a population of 1.5 billion, its hardly fair to even compare to other countries. Or do you think its fair the Chinese have to give up way more than the US?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    He's not a fear mongerer, those estimates are conservative. Unfortunately global warming is occurring faster than anticipated.
    Yeah, we are pretty much fucked if the big powers don't do anything... and they are not doing anything. Gonna be fun.

Anybody wants to a buy a seaside house?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Yeah, we are pretty much fucked if the big powers don't do anything... and they are not doing anything. Gonna be fun.
    Events like this are what lead to breakdowns in society. https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/india...hnk/index.html

Unfortunately money won't help the wealthy/powerful. If things get really bad then people are going to fight for their right to survival and ignore things like existing property rights laws, etc. Mob mentality will take over.

Will probably get bad. I assume that there will be some sort of change that occurs b/c those in power are interested in maintaining it but I guess we'll see, will be interesting to see what happens.

Of course it's totally possible that we will eventually choose to take drastic action in order to increase our rate of survival, it will require a massive change in how our economies and societies function.

Is it 2030 now the doomsday date?
    What did Al Gore predict?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Is it 2030 now the doomsday date?
    What did Al Gore predict?
    He said the world would reach a point of no return in a decade, which would have been two years ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Geoengineering if you want to solve the problem, Puranitical individual sacrifice if you're just looking for new spiritualism.
    Geoengineering falls under the category of highly dangerous projects. I mean, what we are doing now to the planet is Geoengineering. As covered in the video a good example is releasing sulfur into the atmosphere. But the problem with that is if we ever are unable to sustain the sulphar level we will experience a sudden and cataclysmic warming that would be such a shock.

Most of the geoengineering ideas fall under the category of hairbrained schemes that would be a bigger money sink than just you know, not eating red meat and redoing the infrastructure to be less wasteful of resources.

They also come with a massive sword of Damocles situation, where we could easily trigger an apocalyptic set of events all very quickly.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Desertification of the Middle East and North Africa is going to make some areas too hot for people to be outside for any extended period.

Europe is going to love the climate refugees. Don't know if they'll come by 2030, but they'll be there.

He said the world would reach a point of no return in a decade, which would have been two years ago.
    So that's it we can't do anything but slow down the inevitable right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Desertification of the Middle East and North Africa is going to make some areas too hot for people to be outside for any extended period.

Europe is going to love the climate refugees. Don't know if they'll come by 2030, but they'll be there.
    I'm sure they will love them,...

7+ Year Old Account
    Events like this are what lead to breakdowns in society. https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/india...hnk/index.html

Unfortunately money won't help the wealthy/powerful. If things get really bad then people are going to fight for their right to survival and ignore things like existing property rights laws, etc. Mob mentality will take over.

Will probably get bad. I assume that there will be some sort of change that occurs b/c those in power are interested in maintaining it but I guess we'll see, will be interesting to see what happens.
    Look at a country like the United States, built entirely on the promise of never-ending growth and prosperity. Now that its virtually undeniable that that is bullshit we are already taring at each other, and relatively this is still a pretty rich place.

10+ Year Old Account

Of course it's totally possible that we will eventually choose to take drastic action in order to increase our rate of survival, it will require a massive change in how our economies and societies function.
    Don't forget the hundered of millions of refugees, entire countries are going to become unlive-able.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure they will love them,...
    Al Gore is not a scientist/expert.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post

It is wild to think the land of the Tigris and Euphrates river, the land that created an agricultural civilization or was its first birthplace will be unable to sustain human life or grow food within my own lifetime.

Don't forget the hundered of millions of refugees, entire countries are going to become unlive-able.

- - - Updated - - -

Al Gore is not a scientist/expert.
    You're saying he didn't have scientists and experts backing him up and he just plucked this out of thin air?

I don't think that anything is inevitable, I believe we have the power to change if we so choose.

We can't keep polluting and using resources the way we are currently though and that is going to require massive change. Perhaps even including things like implementing fines/fees for people with multiple children, similar to China's one child/two child policy. It will seem dystopian to some.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're saying he didn't have scientists and experts backing him up and he just plucked this out of thin air?
    How should I know? I don't know the man. He is not relevant to the discussion at how the climate disaster can be stopped.

7+ Year Old Account
    Notice how none of these doomsday hucksters ever release their predictive methodology? Conveniently meaning that nobody else can verify how they came to their conclusion.

Global warming will reduce global GDP by 1/3rd.
    How does he arrive at this? It's not science.

How should I know? I don't know the man. He is not relevant to the discussion at how the climate disaster can be stopped.
    What does knowing him have to do with anything?